PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with plugs

xtreme_visions
01-18-2012, 07:37 AM
How do you guys fish your plugs....with or without leaders? Would like to hear the good & bad on each. Also the brand & test your using :cool:

finchaser
01-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Always with, a 30 to 36 inch 30# to 60# leader sometimes 80 when big blues present as for brand Seagar or Yozuri floro mono mimio diamond
I use a barrel swivel then tie on leader then tie on a #54 duo lock snap. Never tie direct as leader is stronger then main line. When using braid acts as a shock absorber and,adds stealth section between braid and plug. Makes getting a fish easier as you can grab the swivel to drag fish out of surf or on to land or into boat. Braid cuts hands very easy if you grab it.

IMO there is no bad

Monty
01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
I use pretty much the same as Finchaser, but with a Breakaway clip on the end and I tie a loop in the beginning of the leader for adding a teaser.
Length is ~48", 50 lb Seagar most often.

vpass
01-18-2012, 09:00 PM
I do the same. I use palomar knot to tie my leader to the barrel swivel and snap. I did try the break away clip and like them alot. When I tie the Palomar knot at the swivel I leave the tag end for teasers. I even used a small breakaway clip on the tag end to change teasers quickly. The few times I tried this rig it worked really well and caught a few bass. as for length anywhere rom 30 to 40+ inches and 30 pounds to 80 pounds floro. I use the 80 pounds around the rocks. 60 pounds most times.

plugginpete
01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
The only time I would fish without a leader would be for albies. When they are around you are mostly throwing metal so i tie direct, not even using a clip. Otherwise what was said above is spot on. The leader helps you to control the fish especially at Montauk rocks. The braid will cut into your hand and those cuts hurt when it's cold. And when fishing Montauk, braid will cut very easily on the rocks.

jigfreak
01-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Also your leader size would depend on where you fish. From the sand, you can def go lighter.

xtreme_visions
01-19-2012, 05:51 PM
:learn: thanks alot everyone! i am gonna give it a try very soon :kooky:

hope to come back with a good report :viking: