PDA

View Full Version : Work Vehicles

surfstix1963
02-19-2012, 04:57 AM
This was pretty much my vehicle at work for the last 20 yrs. I enjoyed working on the water the winters sucked but I was still on the water thats what mattered to me I was always the one to jump in the tug or other boats we had to get to the job when they were needed while all the kiss arses would cry and moan.To me it was just a peaceful feeling freezing my Arse off on the water with my cup of coffee and nobody else.Unfortunatly it was also the vehicle that put me on the O.R. table several times and caused me to retire long before I planned to leave the water.Still hanging trying to get back out there and at least fish again we will see.

DarkSkies
02-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I learn something new every day....Surf. I honestly didn't know you worked ON the water....it must be something you really miss now....And that bucket in the first pic, it that the type of bucket that fell on ya? OUCH! :scared:

rockhopper
02-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Cool photos surfstix, did you do bulkheading, or other stuff too?

surfstix1963
02-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah 20 years of dockbuilding Rich it was pretty cool especially towards the end with all the new bulkheading materials out there and just plain being on the water.The bucket is the one that did me in but it didn't fall it was swung at me full of sand quite honestly I shouldn't be here right now somebody was looking over me for sure.Sometimes I ? why but my grandmother always said everything happens for a reason good or bad.

surfstix1963
02-19-2012, 02:22 PM
I did alot of bulkheading,setting buoys,replacing mooring poles,decks,aeration systems in the winter and general maintenance of the marinas pushing the crane around we were a very small dept. of 10 guys I worked for the town
Cool photos surfstix, did you do bulkheading, or other stuff too?

ledhead36
02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
honestly I shouldn't be here right now somebody was looking over me for sure.Sometimes I ? why but my grandmother always said everything happens for a reason good or bad.

Very true, my grandfather had a ditch cave in on him in the early days when he came to this country and they were working digging ditches. There were no safety rules or nothing like that. He was in bad shape, but when he was in the hospital he met my grandmother. She cared for them and they got married.
None of our family would be here if that did not happen. Like you say, everything happens for a reason. Good luck with your recovery and hope you are able to fish again in the future.

albiealert
02-19-2012, 02:47 PM
I imagine would have been intense working outside in the worst winters, though Surfstix.
You guys are pretty tough to have been able to withstand that.

surfstix1963
02-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Layers of clothes and you had to keep working to stay warm lol but even that didn't keep the hands warm in and out of the water all day you just get use to it I guess I'm sure thats nothing compared to what our grandparents worked in
I imagine would have been intense working outside in the worst winters, though Surfstix.
You guys are pretty tough to have been able to withstand that.

cowherder
02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeah our grandparents didn't even have those little space heaters which can make a big difference in your comfort. All they had was a 55 gallon drum for a fire, I don't think you can even do that anymore, burn stuff to keep warm in those drums, can you surfstix?

surfstix1963
02-22-2012, 04:16 AM
Not in NY but we did do it when we worked over on Fire Island in the towns marinas kept it a low profile thats where it really sucked working the winters the cold is one thing but that damn wind cut right through layers of clothes.