PDA

View Full Version : Blow Out Tides and Their Importance to Fishermen

DarkSkies
02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Blow out tides are the tides that give fishermen and boaters cause for concern.
They are also referred to as blowout tides.

Classically, this happens, sometimes after a severe storm, and at times centered around the full or new moon, when an extended period of offshore winds (winds coming from the shore, blowing towards offshore) blow for such a time that they increase the flow of the outgoing (Ebb) tide in an area.

That area is usually defined as a Bay, River,Sound, or Estuary.

DarkSkies
02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Boating Concerns:

If you own a boat, you have concerns about this for the following reasons -

1. Where your boat is moored, may end up being a sea of mud at low tide.
2. There may also be very low water at high tide.
3. Planning a boating or fishing trip around this tide is difficult.
4. You also need to be acutely aware of this if you are coming back from a trip and need to navigate shallow water areas, which will likely have no water and be muddy or un-navigable.
5. If you are not a seasoned boater, this isn't a good time for you to be on the waterr.
6. Furthermore, boaters can put themselves at risk being out in tides like this.
7. If they get stuck, not only will they, but anyone who comes to their assistance, be put at risk.
8. Usually, the best course of action in a situation like this (provided there are no injuries) is to wait for the tide to come back in.
9 Learning what constitutes a blowout tide, and its challenging conditions, can help to make sure a boater makes the best choices when planning for a trip.
10, Realistically, it would be best to plan for another date on the water, unless you are moored in a harbor directly connected to the ocean.

DarkSkies
02-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Boating Concerns, those who fish from a boat....

1. This kind of tide and winds can muddy up the water.
2. It can make fishing more of a challenge as many baitfish will leave the shallow water for deeper and less dirty water.
3. It can also concentrate fish and baitfish as they will flee to the few locations that are able to hold them, thereby reducing the number of places one needs to look for them.
4. It is an opportunity for all boaters and boat fishermen to see the structure and in-shore areas they fish, in a new perspective.
5. It is also a time of danger as more of the inshore areas will be exposed, if rocky, and boaters who are not careful could end up damaging their boats.
6. Scouting during these times can provide valuable data for future trips.

DarkSkies
02-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Fishing concerns, Surf Fishermen - Bays, Inlets, and Rivers

1. For the Salt Water Bay Fishermen, the blowout tides present some of the biggest challenges.
2. This kind of tide and winds can muddy up the water.
3. It can make fishing more of a challenge as many baitfish will leave the shallow water for deeper and less dirty water.
4. It can also concentrate fish and baitfish as they will flee to the few locations that are able to hold them, thereby reducing the number of places one needs to look for them.
5. It is an opportunity for all bay, inlet and river fishermen to see the structure and in-shore areas they fish, in a new perspective..
6. Scouting during these times can provide valuable data for future trips.

Fishing opportunities...
This type of tide can concentrate bait and fish in the deeper channels. There are some smart fishermen out there who already know that, and have been catching more fish during these tides, for decades.

However, as always, there is danger in wading out onto bay flats. You must have comprehensive knowledge of the tides and structure for your area. If you don't, you could end up dead or drown in a hole that you didn't know about, especially if you are too far out and the tide is coming in. You really should not be wading out on bay, inlet, or river flats if you are inexperienced. If you were not previously aware of the risks I'm talking about here, you should probably think twice before venturing out to wade the bay flats, especially at night.

For me, I prefer to look at these tides as scouting opportunities.
As a Shore or Surf fisherman, you will be able to see structure that perhaps you haven't noticed before....this will give you an edge in your catching when the tides return to normal.

DarkSkies
02-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Fishing Concerns, Surf Fishermen - Ocean Areas....

1. If you are fishing inlets or areas that empty directly into the ocean. wading these areas can put you into water deeper and with a steeper shore slope than you have ever been used to. If the current is strong, it would be a very easy mistake for you to mis-calculate it, fall in and get carried to your death.
2. Remember this when out scouting - No fish is worth your life. :learn:
3. "Walking and looking from shore" is the best choice for the newer fishermen and anglers.
4. You should be careful scouting areas if you are not already experienced at walking the areas you are scouting in.
5. For further exploration, exercise extreme care particularly if the ocean temps are in the 40 degree range. You can die in 10 minutes in water this cold, if not insulated from the cold and you cannot manage to get back to land, for some reason, if you fall in.
6. That being said, the blow out tide/blowout tides are some of the best opportunities you will ever have, to really learn the structure where you want to fish.
7. Bring a note-pad, take notes, and learn from them.

DarkSkies
02-27-2012, 11:37 AM
See for yourselves.....

This is a youtube beach prospector called BarnegatHoward...
He's kind of interesting to me as he's looking for precious items on the beach.. and he uses the term "skunked" when he can't find anything of real value...just like us fishermen do...
He does give a good showing of the jetties, and more importantly the "Soft Structure" :thumbsup:
Thanks Howard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLNjNMvbyQ

I have gotten into intense discussions with people on fishing websites because some don't believe the importance of learning soft structure. They don't see the value in it....

Here's the value...when the fisherman fishing next to you is out-catching you 4:1, because he's standing in the middle of a cut or an outsuck, and you're not.....that will hopefully be your "A-Ha Moment" that causes you to be motivated to go out and learn structure...:rolleyes: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

surfstix1963
02-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Perfect pic of beach structure just look at it and imagine what it looks like covered by water if you were a fish looking for structure and food where would you be??

finchaser
02-28-2012, 09:04 AM
IMO a total nuisance is now and always has been for fishing except as the movie shows for using a metal detector.
1. If you have a boat most of the time you can't get in or out of your slip
2. Makes fishing inlet and river next to impossible
3. Brings tons of dirty water from the back out front
4. Usually drives fish off shore
5. As far as scouting unless you intend to fish with in days of your scout the first storm will change every thing.(new school needs to learn this)
6. Most scouted areas on blow out tides can't be reached by a cast when there is water plus some of the places you are standing are prime cuts when there is water.Except for the scenic aspect and picture taking it 's a waste of time and gas.
7. Most people can't find the scouted spot again once it's covered with water let alone in the dark.
8.Better to learn and fish an area when there is water which teaches you how to read the beach( old school) and hence eliminate novice scouting trips which could be spent fishing many times.
9. Scouting is important when going to a new area you have never been to looking for places that supply access to fish or look fishy, but first you need to learn to read the water ( old school) no cell phones or INTERNET reports
10. Remember 9 out of 10 times the the guy on the beach that's out fishing you, is do to his knowledge of reading the water and knowing how to fish it not scouting, this isn't the wild west and your not Tonto.

surfwalker
02-28-2012, 12:28 PM
So, lemme see if I got this straight- If I find a guy with a metal detector on the beach, that's the spot I cast? And all the walks, searching for fish holding water, wasn't worth it? Who woulda thought that a metal detector was the key.

Liked the Tonto reference.

finchaser
02-28-2012, 12:56 PM
No my friend^^. I'm referring to blow out tides. Like you I walk the beach and search out fish holding spots while fishing as we know spots can change with a strong current. This is what I'm suggesting, in the video where he is standing is where you'd be fishing on a normal day that's why he's finding mostly lead. Where the water is on a blow out tide usually can't be reached with a cast on a normal day especially if the wind is your face. So scouting then is a waste of time IMO

DarkSkies
02-28-2012, 11:40 PM
So, lemme see if I got this straight- If I find a guy with a metal detector on the beach, that's the spot I cast? And all the walks, searching for fish holding water, wasn't worth it? Who woulda thought that a metal detector was the key.

Liked the Tonto reference.

I'm gonna go for Surfwalker's interpretation Fin....follow the guy with the metal detector, that's where those cows will be....
:laugh:
And Somehow, I did manage 15 bass during that last blowout tide.....dumb luck, I guess....:bucktooth: :moon: :kiss: :HappyWave:

finchaser
02-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Yep dumb luck and an all nighter I replied to scouting part as a waste of time, ever a blind squirrel finds an egg corn. But you proved once to your following you did it.

clamchucker
03-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Boating Concerns:

If you own a boat, you have concerns about this for the following reasons -

1. Where your boat is moored, may end up being a sea of mud at low tide.
2. There may also be very low water at high tide.
3. Planning a boating or fishing trip around this tide is difficult.
4. You also need to be acutely aware of this if you are coming back from a trip and need to navigate shallow water areas, which will likely have no water and be muddy or un-navigable.
5. If you are not a seasoned boater, this isn't a good time for you to be on the waterr.
6. Furthermore, boaters can put themselves at risk being out in tides like this.
7. If they get stuck, not only will they, but anyone who comes to their assistance, be put at risk.
8. Usually, the best course of action in a situation like this (provided there are no injuries) is to wait for the tide to come back in.
9 Learning what constitutes a blowout tide, and its challenging conditions, can help to make sure a boater makes the best choices when planning for a trip.
10, Realistically, it would be best to plan for another date on the water, unless you are moored in a harbor directly connected to the ocean.

dark skies, I think this may be a prime example of what you were saying. We had the blowout tides in south Jersey Saturday and this fellow got stuck.

Sunday, February 26, 2012, 5:40 PM Updated: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 7:10 PM
[/URL] By Ben Horowitz/The Star-Ledger (http://connect.nj.com/user/behorowi/index.html)
BRIGANTINE — A 67-year-old man and his dog were rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard from a 12-foot skiff that ran aground in Hammock Cove Saturday evening, according to Coast Guard officials.
The unidentified man used his cell phone at approximately 8:40 p.m. to call the Brigantine Police Department and report he and his dog were hunting and unable to get their skiff out of the marsh due to low tide, according to the Coast Guard.
The distress was relayed to Coast Guard watch standers at Station Atlantic City, the Coast Guard said.
A helicopter crew arrived at the scene, hoisted the man and his dog onto the aircraft at about 10 p.m. and transported them to the air station where family members awaited, according to the Coast Guard. Both man and dog were reported to be in good condition.

[URL]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/02/us_coast_guard_rescues_67-year.html

captnemo
04-07-2016, 09:53 PM
There was a blowout tide with sw winds recently at Morgan Marina. It was a sight to behold, very low water.