PDA

View Full Version : Fluke and sea bass council meeting Thurs in Toms River

captnemo
02-29-2012, 10:19 PM
This was posted on NJ.com tonight by Al Ristory

Council to act on fluke and sea bass regulations at Thursday's meeting in Toms River

Published: Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 5:30 PM Updated: Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 6:12 PM

By Al Ristori (http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/index.html)The Star-Ledger

The N.J. Marine Fisheries Council will consider public sentiment on the state's proposed regulations for summer flounder and black sea bass during Thursday's 4 p.m. meeting in the Toms River Township Building at 33 Washington Street. While the Council will provide for public comments, this meeting won't be a debate. Those making comments should do so with respect for others of different positions, and be brief in order that everyone can get home at a reasonable hour. Only the pre-approved options will be on the table, and it's likely that the Council's decision will be adopted by Commissioner Martin.

Most of the input I've been receiving from both anglers and those in the business favors staying with last year's 18-inch minimum and eight-fish bag limit in order to get a longer season. For instance, fluke pro Dave Lilly of Hazlet supports Option 2 that provides 170 days of fishing from May 5 to Oct. 21. South Jersey fishermen may be more inclined to Option 1 with 170 days from April 28 to Oct. 14 -- or Option 3 with 171 days from April 21 to October 8 since fluking starts earlier in Delaware Bay. On the other hand, surfcasters have their best shot at a keeper fluke in the fall, and may prefer Option 4 with a season from May 26 all the way to Oct. 28 at18 inches and eight in the bag.
Options to drop the minimum size a bit involve shorter seasons. Just going down a half-inch to 17 1/2 in Option 5 reduces the season to 147 days from May 5 to Sept. 28 -- and with a bag limited to five fluke. Taking a full inch off last year's 18 inches brings the bag down to three fluke in 96 days from May 29 to Sept. 1. in Option 6.

In the case of sea bass, there are only two options. Both involve split seasons based on the same 12 1/2-inch minimum and 25 fish bag as last year. Option A provides 204 days from May 22 to Oct. 11, and then Nov. 1 to Dec. 31. Option B, with 210 days, runs from May 19 to Oct. 14 plus Nov. 1 to Dec. 31. In addition, B will continue into a Jan. 1 to Feb. 28, 2013 season with a bag limit reduced to 15 in accordance with proposed federal waters regulations.

DarkSkies
03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Bump for the meeting tonight in case anyone is able to go....
Thanks for posting Capt!

captnemo
03-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Results:
I would have preferred option 2.

Though there seemed to be strong support for keeping the 18-inch minimum for fluke and getting a longer season as a result, there was big surprise after public comment at this afternoon's N.J. Marine Fisheries Council meeting in Toms River when a 17 1/2-inch minimum prevailed on a 5 to 4 Council vote. Adopting that half-inch shorter keeper in Option 5 resulted in not only a shorter fall season (closing after Sept. 28), but a drop in bag limit from eight to five -- and the loss of 23 days of fluking as compared with
Option 2 -- which had been favored to prevail going into the meeting. A council member told me that opinions expressed at the meeting seemed to be about 60-40 in favor of the 17 1/2-inch option.

There was no surprise in the case of sea bass, as Option B was approved -- providing a longer split season. of May 19 to Oct. 14 plus Nov. 1 to Dec. 31 at the same 12 1/2-inch minimum and 25-fish bag limit as last year.

finchaser
03-03-2012, 11:18 PM
I voted option 2 also. We will never get back the 3 fish. The council was for option 2 also until the last minute when they changed to option 5.

We will over fish as more fish will be caught and 17 1/2 inch carry a higher mortality rate. The amount over fished will be deducted from the 2013 quota. We are also targeting females that are just reaching breeding size

This will also put extreme pressure on striped Bass as it will be the only fish available for everyone to fish for in October as sea bass and black fish are closed. We are playing right into NOAA's hand as they eliminate 1 fish after another.

Once again a lack of public support. When the bass are gone remember no one helped save them, more people were concerned with slinging snot for shorts.

VSdreams
03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
I voted option 2 also. We will never get back the 3 fish. the council was for option 2 also until the last minute when they changed to option 5.

We will over fish as more fish will be caught and 17 1/2 inch carry a higher mortality rate. The amount over fished will be deducted from the 2013 quota.

This will also put extreme pressure on striped Bass as it will be the only fish available for everyone to fish for in October as sea bass and black fish are closed. we are playing right into NOAA's hand.

Seems like a chess game that we can never win. That suxxx!

storminsteve
03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
All that pressure on the stripers, and some people say they are at the highest levels ever- not for long?

plugaholic
03-07-2012, 08:28 AM
All that pressure on the stripers, and some people say they are at the highest levels ever- not for long?

I agree with you stormingsteve. I fish south jersey for fluke so I think it won't be that bad for us, but I would have voted for a longer season. I think we all got shafted. jmo

clamchucker
03-08-2012, 09:33 AM
This is poorly chosen option. I thought option 2 would have been the one voted for. I don't understand how this other option came to the top. It will do nothing but put more pressure on the striped bass when fluke season closes earlier than usual. Not good at all.

finchaser
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
2 speakers gave there personal opinions for option 5 not the opinion of the groups they are affliated with