PDA

View Full Version : thoughts about the empty bellies of the back bay fish?

ledhead36
04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I read how some of you are banging big fish in the ocean, and that their bellies are stuffed with bait.
A buddy was fishing there last night and said he got a bass as round as a football stuffed, It was a short so he didn't say what it was eating. In the back bays and rivers the fish are fat, filled with eggs. Nothing else. Every fish I kept for the last 10 days had an empty belly. How could this be with all the herring around? I don't understand.
Finchaser you got a lot of big fish the other day, what do you think about the empty bellies?

hookedonbass
04-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Maybe it's harder for them to catch the herring or they are really in spawn mode and not eating as much?

madcaster
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I cleaned a 32" last night for my friend and the belly was empty as well. It was a football (fat)too

finchaser
04-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Allot of bass we've been catching like other bigger fish (tuna,sharks etc) in a last ditch effort to rid themselves of the hook blow lunch during the fight. Marlin will puke up there stomachs. Many fish in the back like bluefish when they first arrive to the bay are empty till they feed. when bluefish spawn offshore they don't eat for weeks usually around beginning of July.Also back bay baits like spearing ,rain fish have not arrived yet they are usually pushed north by the bluefish. hope this helps you

storminsteve
04-15-2012, 04:39 AM
^^ Makes sense to me, thanks for sharing that.