PDA

View Full Version : LI Fishing Reports for 2012 www.stripersandanglers.com

DarkSkies
04-19-2012, 12:38 PM
NY fishing reports for 2012...www.StripersandAnglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)

LI fishing: NY fishing reports for 2012

Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

Demo -- Sore Thumb/ Democrat Point

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby
SI -- Staten Island

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

DarkSkies
04-19-2012, 12:40 PM
BassBuddah,
you won the plug in the December random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

DarkSkies
04-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Sorry I missed having this up for opening day, folks. I've been getting the texts and pics so I appreciate them and know a lot of ya's are fishing....Congrats on the fish...some waters are still a little cold but others are on fire with fish...all depends on the forage concentrations...

Good luck all....
Hope to meet some more of you this Season....:fishing:

rockhopper
04-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Hey dark hope to meet you too one day. Come on out anytime. I fished the SS on the incoming this morning. Not much going on but I did pull one 31" striper out on a piece of bunker. I can't wait till we see the big blues. See some of the joisey guys have been catching those demons. We should have them any day now.

storminsteve
04-20-2012, 03:26 PM
You guys should have them thick by monday at the latest. They have invaded here.

pescador29
04-27-2012, 08:32 PM
We got bluefish and bluefish and one small striper tonight. Put the striper back and kept the bluefish. They were big. The biggest was 37", loco! We were using bunker at breezy.

williehookem
04-30-2012, 09:13 AM
I fished the ss yesterday from 4-9pm. Outgoing tide, wasn't that bad, clams and bunker. Only skates for me, not even one blue.

rockhopper
05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Fished the last hour of incoming, first hour of the outgoing tonight.Lots of green glue substance on the line. Nothing doing.

strikezone31
05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Limited out on bass, the 2 of us, in 50' of water this morning. Ebb tide. We snagged and droppped bunker only to get chopped by bluefish. Started trolling the bunker spoons and we had pretty consistent bass action till 8am. S of Jones. Biggest fish was 23lbs.

BassBuddah
05-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Late reports - I have been fishing various areas and haven't caught much that was worth reporting. There was some slipgut in the ocean which made surfcasting difficult. Instead I was moving around a few back bay areas and catching very large and aggressive bluefish, poppers at night, erratic retrieve.
This weekend I finally managed some nice bass, central south shore area, on bucktail and pork and polaris poppers. The biggest bass was 22lbs, all released for another day.

DarkSkies
05-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Inshore Trifecta....... or Failure?
A Night of Adrenalin.....

A friend of mine from LI went fishing on the South Shore last night. He and a lot of other folks there have been running into slip gut which hampers their fishing. Tom, undeterred, went out anyway. I thought this story was great and so full of action it jumps off the page at you.....

Posted courtesy of TomG....awesome report, Tom. :clapping: :HappyWave:

Got home last night to great looking conditions- had a career decision to make, put together a piece of furniture, then go fishing, or go fishing then put together furniture? Home around 7:00pm with low tide around 9:30pm. Decided to go out right away.

Quick bite and in the surf by 7:30.

Slight S wind, some weeds but not too bad, nice chop and water color and nice rips to fish. Started off with a bomber / teaser. On my second stop as I was just about to pull the bomber out of the water- in a split second I saw a fin coming at it- it happened so fast I couldn't stop myself from pulling the bomber out of the water and as it was almost fully out the fish nailed it! Great site to see. Small but feisty fish. After he grabbed the back of the bomber he danced on his tail for a while- what a blast.

Worked the area for a while for no more hits. Made two more stops for no more hits and decided to change up my plug after my next stop then work my way home with a bottle plug. Next stop, 1st cast in tight to the jetty I get drilled! Nice sized keeper - makes a few jumps straight out then starts peeling line. Get it stopped and turned then it makes another run towards the rocks. I put some pressure on and realize it's actually a little bigger then I first thought. Then the fish does something I've never had happen before -- it starts jumping again- one, two , three jumps- RIGHT ONTO THE JETTY! Thought I'd lose it right away but got him off and he started swimming to shore-- got the line tight again then lost him- pulled the hook.

Nothing to do but tip my hat and smile- it was a great fight and I lost.

Well, not changing the lure now, threw a few more casts in the area not expecting much because of the ruckus but about 5 casts later the I get a BIG hit. The lure wasn't drilled- more just grabbed-- it actually felt like a log at first- then a few big head shakes - I decided to hit it again - set hard again and the fish took off. It felt like one of the bigger fish I've had on . Drag screaming, fish went straight out on a very long run. Finally got it stopped and turned, picked up a bunch of line, getting ready for another run, it takes off again-- line screaming, starting to get it stopped then NOTHING! Spit the hook.

Damn!! Reel in and sharpen up my hooks. Few more casts in the area, nothing doing. Decide to head to one more spot. Get to the next spot, 1st cast, 2 cranks and ENGULFED! Same thing, fish just inhaled the lure - I set the hook hard and it just sat there shaking it's head a few times. This one is,without a doubt in my mind ,the biggest fish I've had - I actually yelled out " OH MY GOD! YEAAAAHHH!!!!" Fish slowly starts to take line, rod fully engaged, then it really starts to peel line -- my heart's racing, I know I've got a good hook set and I'm thinking, "no way I lose this one!" Line's screaming off then POW - it almost sounded like a gun shot. Nothing! At first I thought my rod snapped, then realized my line snapped at my reel! ***! After a few loud curses that scared the hell out of some people walking by, I just stared at my reel in disbelief for a minute. I have no idea what happened? There's some poor fish swimming around with my bomber and rig in it's mouth, along with 50-60 yards of braid. I hope it doesn't get hung up on something.

I re-tied and half-*** cast my way home for no more fish or hits. There were some VERY LARGE fish in my neck of the woods last night- and they kicked my ***!

In about a 10 cast span, I've never been more exhilarated and frustrated. Got home an hour later than I planned and the furniture never got done so I'm in the doghouse, my wife, while sort of sympathetic to my night - didn't quite see things the way I did. I actually had bad dreams about fishing last night. Here's hoping they stick around and I get another shot at them. Wow!

7deadlyplugs
05-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Wow that was one of the best reports I ever read, thanks for sharing.

I fished the ss tonight, near JI. It was pretty foggy. I threw shads and bombers. Got 2 bass, one 26" anc the other 35". Both released. They hit the bomber.

nitestrikes
05-25-2012, 01:25 PM
I haven't been fishing much, the slipgut is terrible. Getting ready for a trip to Montauk after the holiday. This lady caught and released a nice weakfish last night on the Orient Star.

Last night Grace McIntyre from the Lady reelers caught and released this nice weakfish. Congrats Grace! I think she is in the Lady Reelers Fishing Club.

Here is the report from the Orient Star-
"Grace McIntyre,a member of the Lady Reelers Fishing Club, fishing on the Orient Star lV caught this beautiful weakfish.We took a few pictures and Grace elected to release the female which was heavy with eggs. The happy fish swam away,hopefully to spawn soon. We love to give our fishing friends one of these Catch and Release certificates which can be earned by releasing a keeper sized fish. Thank you Grace and congratulations! " 15242

rockhopper
06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
I fished near breezy this morning from 6-8am, Some nice blues on poppers, no bass.

rockhopper
06-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Nice weakie nightstrikes!

Here is one caught in NY Bight over the weekend. Not mine, i would love to see these again!

nitestrikes
06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Fished the last of the outgoing from 4-6am. Central SS, where the walk was tiresome. Good water though, more than made up for it. Bunker just out of reach around 5 but nothing on them. Picked up 2 runts on a Gibbs bottle. nice picture of the weakie rockhopper.

rockhopper
06-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks nitestrikes! That lady crushed them! I went today started around 4am as the tide went out by an inlet. There was some bird activity way out far. I threw tins and bucktails. Few small blues on a tin with green tail. got out of there before it got hot.

williehookem
06-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Way to get out there rockhopper. I have been so busy with work and family I haven't seen the salt water in a while. Really miss that salt water and air.

nitestrikes
07-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Fished to the East over the weekend. Night tides. A few runt bass and some blues at sunrise. Standard BT & pork, and darters. There are bigger bass just off the beach but not much for me or the guys I ran into, high teen fish were the biggest prize over the 2 nights.

williehookem
07-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for getting out there guys. I fished over by Breezy from the surf this morning. It was pretty good for small blues. Fished 1 oz tin with green tube and a teaser. Casted to the feeding fish. 8 blue dogs. did have some larger ones to 9lbs. Lots o fun. The best activity was around sunrise. Lots of rain and clouds. The blues didnt care.
Happy 4th guys!

BassBuddah
07-13-2012, 08:59 AM
I have been out the Big M a few times in the last weeks.
Managed 2 fish to 15 pounds the first trp. Only one teen fish 13 pounds the last trip. A few smaller schoolies and some bluefish. Darters at night. Very slow this year, that concerns me.

Congrats to Grace McIntyre of the Lady Reelers, beautiful weakfish.:clapping:

plugginpete
07-13-2012, 10:39 AM
BB i was going to make the trek there tonight, thanks you saved me some gas. I have been getting some fish that size near the inlets at night. Really sucks.

williehookem
08-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Hey guys the fish are starting to get active again. Picked up 3 blues to 13lbs and one bass 29" tonight on the SS, S of FI. Bunker chunks. Beautiful night out.

vpass
09-12-2012, 08:52 PM

I fished after work today in SI. There were huge schools of
of peanuts getting worked by blues and albes. i wait for action to get closer, but it never happened. I did get a small weakie for my effort.

jigfreak
09-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Pink rubber on jighead always a winner. Nice going dude.

DarkSkies
09-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Outstanding, V. :clapping: :thumbsup:
Seeing albies porpoise on bait like that never gets old for me. They haven't been in that area, like that, for years....
I know you'll get into em soon....good effort and good luck. :HappyWave:

cowherder
09-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Nice going vpass!

storminsteve
09-13-2012, 11:25 PM
way to go vpass.

nitestrikes
09-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Did good on schoolies last night at the end of mecca. They were on the mullet in tight to the shoreline. Picked up 17 to 16lbs. Most were schoolies 5-7 lbs. Bucktail and pork was the ticket.

fishinmission78
09-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Fantastic report nitestrikes. thanks

Monty
09-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Fantastic report nitestrikes. thanks
What he said, sounds like some very good action.

vpass
09-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Nice going Nitestrikes, looks like it's about to blow wide open soon.

BassBuddah
10-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Spent Sunday and Monday in Mecca. over 20 bass each day. Fish averaged 28", up to 21#. Pencil poppers and small swimmers. The mullet and rainfish were pouring out of the sound. Action and fishermen everywhere. Very crowded on sunday, not so much on monday.

Monty
10-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Spent Sunday and Monday in Mecca. over 20 bass each day. Fish averaged 28", up to 21#. Very crowded on sunday, not so much on monday.
Congrats on the action, great report.

plugginpete
10-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Great reports nitestrkes and budda, have to make the drive one of these days. Heard it was a little slow there this weekend. It was slow for me in the Jones area today too. Fished 4-6:30 pm with tins and poppers. One bluefish on a popper, nothing else. Surf was good but no one told the fish.

7deadlyplugs
10-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Fished the ss this morning, one short bass on a teaser. Lots of small bait in the wash. Looked like albies jumping further out. wish I could have had a chance at them

BassBuddah
10-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Mecca, I was there on Sunday and got one short bass at 5am, fished till the afternoon, and left. i heard it got better on monday.

crosseyedbass
10-15-2012, 10:50 AM
jones from 5-7a incoming. Not a thing.

DarkSkies
10-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Great effort guys....can't catch em from your couch.....:thumbsup: :fishing: :HappyWave:

pescador29
10-19-2012, 07:48 PM
We fished at breezy park in the bay today and got 5 stripers useing clams. one was a keeper 29 inches and we kept it. The stomach was empty.

BassBuddah
11-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Herring at Mecca

plugginpete
11-24-2012, 07:25 AM
They are still getting bass on them. Wanted to make a surf run this weekend but heard the beaches are dead though. I guess its all about being out in the rips now.

rockhopper
12-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I think the Montauk bite is just about toast. Fished way west tonight, SS. Got 1 bass 30" on a bottle plug. A smaller one on bucktail.

williehookem
12-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Got out this morning, east of the rockaways. Threw buck and pork, and metal. 3 runt bass to 20". The season is almost over, Happy Holidays to all!