PDA

View Full Version : losing shads to bluefish, better choices?

baitstealer
04-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Hey guys Im wondering if you all had some suggestions on what to do when the blues are around and you are fishing shads. I have had a few bitten off this week and the packs are expensive. Would appreciate any advise, thanks!

buckethead
04-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Bucktail and pork.

surfstix1963
04-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Can the rubber when the blues are around try either a bucktail or tins, Kastmaster for a wide bait profile Hopkins for a skinnier profile both w/ a dressed tail hook just try and keep them in the water column where you are getting hits w/ the rubber.

bababooey
04-27-2012, 08:50 PM
What surfstix said, kastmasters or krocodiles are great.

speedy
04-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Hey guys Im wondering if you all had some suggestions on what to do when the blues are around and you are fishing shads. I have had a few bitten off this week and the packs are expensive. Would appreciate any advise, thanks!
heybro put a stinger on the shad using 80 lb. pp braid to mid hook then using a short shank 2/0 in bed the hook in the tail make sure you leave slack for movement
it works i have used it .....good luck bro....:HappyWave:

ledhead36
04-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Good advice.

speedy
04-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Good advice. thanks bro i had the same problem till this old timer came over and said you lost 4 shad in the last 45mins.
he said would you like a tip i said i could use some help thanks so he told me to try it and it worked great .. it just go s to show ya. you lern some thing new every day
i know a lot but not everything lol.. and the old timer was billy mcfadden.... rip.... my freind .

cowherder
04-29-2012, 07:23 PM
i know a lot but not everything lol.. and the old timer was billy mcfaden.... rip.... my freind .

Wow you knew billy mcfadden. Did you ever fish with him? I have seen him mentioned here and Dark introduced me to him at Asbury but I really didn't know him. What was he like as a fisherman?

speedy
04-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Wow you knew billy mcfadden. Did you ever fish with him? I have seen him mentioned here and Dark introduced me to him at Asbury but I really didn't know him. What was he like as a fisherman?yes .i fished with . billy, wade, lefty, and a lot more ..billy was a go getter he loved to fish and he liked to help people
billy and i would sit talk any chance we got about fishing and plug making he was a great person and will be mist ....rip ....my freind ...

baitstealer
05-07-2012, 10:25 AM
yes .i fished with . billy, wade, lefty, and a lot more ..billy was a go getter he loved to fish and he liked to help people
billy and i would sit talk any chance we got about fishing and plug making he was a great person and will be mist ....rip ....my freind ...

Those are some cool memories, thanks for sharing.

speedy
05-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Those are some cool memories, thanks for sharing.
u bet bro...

BassBuddah
05-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Bucktail and pork is the smartest way to fish when big bluefish are around.

dogfish
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
X2. or a metal jig with a single hook.