PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for May 2012 www.Stripersandanglers.com

madcaster
05-02-2012, 05:29 PM
the last 3 days ...has been very very good ...only have about 45 min to fish due to the tide and were I have to be.

DarkSkies
05-02-2012, 09:24 PM
NJ fishing reports for April 2012. ..www.StripersandAnglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)

NJ fishing reports for April 2012...www.stripersandanglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
StorminSteve,
you won the plug in the April 2012 random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

Mike O
05-03-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm writing this post on behalf of my son who is not a member yet, but him and a few of his buddies did a good job on bluefish yesterday in RB on bunker chunks in spite of the bad weather conditions. He said he got 4 up to 30". These fish were fat according to what he told me. My only regret is that I was not there to see him catch his first fish from the beach. I'm told he was yelling and screaming like a little girl. Hopefully I will be with him next time.

Monty
05-03-2012, 09:52 AM
My only regret is that I was not there to see him catch his first fish from the beach. I'm told he was yelling and screaming like a little girl. Hopefully I will be with him next time.
Nice report, the adrenalin rush of catching your first good size blue on the beach is awesome. Great fun. He probably can't wait to get back out there.

cowherder
05-03-2012, 04:03 PM
My only regret is that I was not there to see him catch his first fish from the beach. .

Fantastic report Mike! I remember when I caught my first fish and I was jumping all over the place. It is a thrill and great feeling. Congratulations to you all.:fishing:

storminsteve
05-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks so much for the plug DS, address sent.:HappyWave:
Madcaster and Mike good job on the catching. I will be out there this weekend looking for a fat one.

vpass
05-03-2012, 11:37 PM
the last 3 days ...has been very very good ...only have about 45 min to fish due to the tide and were I have to be.
love the Pictures color and quality, nicely done.

vpass
05-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Fished NoMoCo, first 3 hours of the outgoing. Met a few friends that i haven't seen since last year :HappyWave:it was nice seeing you guys again. We didn't catch anything not even a hit.:o did snag a bay anchovie. I'm alittle worried I seem to have stressed my ellbow and forarm, and having issues casting lots of pain hope it heels soon.:scared:

storminsteve
05-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I fished nomoco as well last night. It smelled fishy but could not find one fish. Tried bucktails, shads, daiwa and bomber, like the dead seas out there. Back out again this weekend.

DarkSkies
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
^^Same helping of skunk for me, V and Steve. :skunk:
(BTW sekrit scouts told me you were fishin last night V, hoped you would rack up a few) but it seems it was not a good night for any of us throwing artificials, while those throwing bait are still scoring.

Such are the Cold water blues.....:laugh:

I fished 5 hours last night, hard and humbling fishing. None of the places I stopped at held any significant life. Finally found some forage in one area. Plenty of bunker with no predators under them. Made a slight move, still no action. Just when I was getting ready to leave that area, dropped a bass using a Finchaser old skool technique. :cool:
Raised 2 other fish in the next half hour fishing that way, but as the tide dropped so did that action.

I remained fishless, took a long drive to another area, where bunker were feeding. They were scattered. Had I chunked one, I would have probably hooked up....but nothing on artificials for me.
I know if I launched the yak I would have been into fish, but unfortunately the yak is down for awhile for some needed maintenance.

The water in NJ bays and ocean areas is still a little cold from the harsh NW patterns we recently had. The rain dirtying the water hasn't helped it. At least in JBay, guys are doing well on bluefish with artificials, and still getting some nice bass on bunker chunks.....

However, with the weather that foggy and eerie, I had to be out there. You can fish how you want and not worry about a lot of company, and to me, that's a big part of why I'm out there....

We'll gettum next time, V. :thumbsup:
I know you've been working a lot, glad to see you had a chance to get out....

And Steve, hey that's fishin...you had a great night a week ago....because bunker were there by the thousands...you really don't have conditions at night where they are that concentrated, that often., so it's fortunate you were able to be in the middle of that carnage....:viking:

jigfreak
05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I'll jump in the skunk parade too. Zip for the last 2 nights.

gjb1969
05-04-2012, 03:35 PM
this is all i could get last nite and early this morn had one runoff and after that just small ling

dogfish
05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Such are the Cold water blues.....:laugh:

How about some cold biscuits and fish heads?:HappyWave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXZ9FT2rjWA

Ya know we're getting small stripers up here on rubber. First time in a long while. Crazy year. Good luck this season guys.

voyager35
05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Is that a catfish or a ling, gjb?
Hard to tell with the blurry pics. Nice catch anyway.

chas527
05-05-2012, 01:10 PM
fished the bay wedesday night with clams nothing, fished the hook thursday morning with clams 4 skates one big sea robbin and a nice striper 32 inches.i know your going to think im nuts but a seal swam right in front of me . look me in the eye an went on land 20 feet from me then swam away.i could't belive it.

DarkSkies
05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Another skunk report.....:skunk: :)
The weather was calling me last night so I had to answer....
Fished 5 hours without any activity at all....back bays.....

There was bait at times.. and feeding bass and blues....
but they only wanted bunker and I was throwing artificials.....very humbling, moved to many locations with the same results.

I wanted to publically thank all the guys who were out fishing bunker chunks and catching fish.....
My words cannot express my gratitude enough, as each time ya called to tell me "got another one!" it was so special...especially with the mocking "so how many did YOU catch?" added along to each call......

Because I am speechless, :rolleyes: I will offer those who called me last night to brag....a sincere gesture of my appreciation.....:2flip:

DarkSkies
05-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Dogfish thanks for that song....funny stuff...:HappyWave:

i know your going to think im nuts but a seal swam right in front of me . look me in the eye an went on land 20 feet from me then swam away.i could't belive it.

Chas, I believe ya. You're lucky he didn't grab your bass and chew out the belly on ya....Toadfish and some others on here could tell ya how bad the seals are on Cape Cod, when 3 or 4 follow your fish right to the surfline, often fighting over it. And they look at you like you are the intruder. :kooky:

Urgent Update.....Finchaser is now out in the surf, fishing clams.
There's a hot clam bite, clambrellas, bunker/clam hi-low, and garden worms....all getting 20lb bass....
So Finchaser drove down to Cape May, to get in on it.....I'll let him post the details later.....
Finchaser the clam fisherman....thought I'd never see the day....:scared:

jigfreak
05-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Finchaser the clam fisherman....thought I'd never see the day....:scared:

Dude, you have to be lying, no way finchaser would ever fish clams.
As for you getting skunked last night, maybe you need to sharpen your hooks.:ROFLMAO
I got 2 to 14# on swimmers. Picky bite, no blues.

DarkSkies
05-06-2012, 11:40 AM
^^ Well maybe I did embellish a bit....;)
His hands haven't touched clams in years...:cool:

Here's a report that needs no embellishment,. some small blues this morning saved me from the skunk....

Was out there, all over.
Monty had some bass action on big rubber. I swear that dude has a rubber fetish, it just ain't normal...:laugh:

Rather than mug him I decided to find my own fish.
The artificial bite was tough last night, it was humbling.

Fished all night, nothing for hours, no dropped fish, no missed hits...
n-o-t-h-i-n-g....save for a brief 10 minute period of activity at first light.

To make it worse, I did see fish....even my sekrit casting egg system (thanks Speedy) :HappyWave: could not produce.,....the fish are there and they will jump on meat, but with artificials ya have to finesse them, and last night I just didn't have what it takes...hey that's fishin....

Topwater action on blues was nice, only lasted 10 minutes right around first light. Small blues but I was grateful to have the action....I was like a man wandering in a desert all night, parched for a few drops of water....:d

Back at it soon...
The conditions were perfect, light E/SE wind, managable swell, great air temps....but no fish for me other than those cocktail blues....

Monty, proud of ya, your bass number beat mine last night...:thumbsup:

Monty
05-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Monty, proud of ya, your bass number beat mine last night...:thumbsup:
LOL, only reason I caught the bass is I fished long enough for one to find my offering (sooner or later one has to swim by).
Fished out front this morning from 1:00-2:45, great looking water, lost a bass on a 14" hogy, moved to back and fished from 3:30-10:00. Cocktail blue on a teaser (first blue for me in 2012 (finally, they are playing tough to get for me.....))and then ~24 inch bass on a small rubber shad. Did loose another fish after it wrapped the line around a piling . All fish caught after 8:00. Was lots of fun and lots of casts.

finchaser
05-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Dude, you have to be lying, no way finchaser would ever fish clams.
As for you getting skunked last night, maybe you need to sharpen your hooks.:ROFLMAO
I got 2 to 14# on swimmers. Picky bite, no blues.

Your right no clams for me and he needs to return to the Darkside his following is mourning his loss

finchaser
05-06-2012, 04:21 PM
this week on the down side of the moon with low we should do well

storminsteve
05-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Hope so finchaser. It was hit and miss this afternoon. First spot in the bay had no bluefish, 2nd spot had some fly guys and some good ones. I was using very small poppers and a 1/2 oz bucktail with a white grub. I think I had about 7 or 8, the biting slowed down as the sun went down.

c4charlie
05-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Went out on Friday night fished for quite a while with plugs and caught nothing. Then I switched over to fresh bunker and caught 1 keeper striper 29", and mixed size blues from 2-9lbs. The storm and clouds covered the moon nicely because when I got down there at 8pm it was so bright.

seamonkey
05-07-2012, 09:25 AM
I fished cape may over the weekend. First trip out was good, 2 bass to 33" on cut bunker. Then it got worse. A lot of people were on the beaches. I kind of was glad because I was thinking more bait in the water means more fish on the beach. However most of us got dogfish and lots of them. I saw one bit one about 40" it was a monster! Dogfish are definitely not endangered in Cape May!

cowherder
05-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Nomoco on fri and sunday. I liked the foggy and drizzly conditions. Some one said it looked fishy. I really thought it was going to blow up. Nothing for me not even a bluefish. I saw bunker, or at least it looked like bunker. They were far out and there was nothing on them. There was a lot. I threw bucktails, metal, poppers, and storm shads. Not even one fish. Full moon effects?

baitstealer
05-07-2012, 10:21 AM
It seems like everyone is catching bass on bunker now? I was at SH on fri and got one 29" bass on clams. The guys who were fishing bunker got no bass. This is real strange. Maybe it depends on where you fish, as to what they will be eating.

rip316
05-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Sat and Sunday evening, Mr and Mrs Cardoc, my son and the wife. even though we were on my boat ( I know you guys say boat fish dont count) easily 80 bluefish all on metal. Everyone had a blast. If anyone wants to know where pm me. just trying to spread the love as these fish have been tight to the beach and in this area for two weeks. If you have kids get them out there. My son is 11 and he went 9 for his first 9 casts. Couldnt keep the smile off of his face. :clapping::clapping::HappyWave:

Mike O
05-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Killin the blues in RB from the beach on bunker.

fishinmission78
05-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Great job guys. Would love to get into some regular bluefish action down here. They come in at the BI for a few, and then jet out again. Fishing - have been getting some nice blowfish/ puffers in the surf with clams. They are good eating and these ones are big. Top of the tide, Island Beach and above.

chas527
05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
fished the hook this morning with clams,nothing did see a lot of bunker early but nothing under them.

hookset
05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
I wanted to publically thank all the guys who were out fishing bunker chunks and catching fish.....
My words cannot express my gratitude enough, as each time ya called to tell me "got another one!" it was so special...especially with the mocking "so how many did YOU catch?" added along to each call......

Because I am speechless, :rolleyes: I will offer those who called me last night to brag....a sincere gesture of my appreciation.....:2flip:

You're welcome. :HappyWave:
How many did ya catch? 1, 2, 25? Oh that's right you're in a bass slump right now, ya got 0! :laugh:
Come to the darkside, fish some meat - I have been catching bass every night for the last 6 nights in a row. Up to 17# and a **** load of bait stealing blues. Do you want bunker for next time out dark? I'll save you some. :plastered:

vpass
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
:HappyWave: Made it out last night and fished for 2 hours of the incoming. Caught a few cocktails on slugos. :)The blues wanted nothing else but sluggos. It was nice getting out and enjoying the fresh air. The big bass should spilling out of the river soon.

DarkSkies
05-08-2012, 09:41 AM
. Caught a few cocktails on slugos. :)The blues wanted nothing else but sluggos. It was nice getting out and enjoying the fresh air. .

Ouch, expensive night....
Glad to see ya got out anyway...:HappyWave:
I love that bluefish action.

Quick report, managed 2 bass to 12# last night on swimmers.
It was very windy and the tide was amazingly high....really hate that S wind though.
Bass were very aggressive, but scattered.
Hit like freight trains, the water temps are prime.
Full report in Turd Ferguson thread.

DarkSkies
05-10-2012, 02:28 PM
You're welcome. :HappyWave:
How many did ya catch? 1, 2, 25? Oh that's right you're in a bass slump right now, ya got 0! :laugh:
Do you want bunker for next time out dark? I'll save you some. :plastered:

Nope, I'm good, no bunker needed......:moon:
I like going out in the rain, and using artificials. to not catch........it's humbling and humiliating at the same time....:laugh:
Especially when you mooks call to tell me..."Yup got another one..." :boring:
Seriously, best of luck.....careful not to slip on the bunker blood.....:HappyWave:

chas527
05-10-2012, 02:29 PM
fished the hook this morning 3skates and 1 big striper 36inches.

Monty
05-10-2012, 02:48 PM
like going out in the rain, and using artificials. to not catch........it's humbling and humiliating at the same time....:laugh:

Humbling yes, humiliating no chance, fun and exhilarating yes. Different things are different to different people. :HappyWave:
Like some people love to live line bunker....and some don't (like me).:HappyWave: And some people like to fish in crazy weather :kooky: :HappyWave:

fished the hook this morning 3skates and 1 big striper 36inches.
Nice with the Striper

DarkSkies
05-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Skunk report....2 nights in a row....:skunk:

Whether we catch or not, most of the long-time anglers in this game know that now is the time to be out there. There have been some waves of larger fish moving along the Coast.

Approx 1/4 (estimated only) of Delaware and Chessy migrating bass already have bypassed our surf via the Mud Hole. These fish are now off the Coast of LI and on their way to the Block/ MA areas. If the water temps rise too quickly, our NJ run "could" start to wind down by June 10 this year.....
We are still waiting for the Hudson fish to come back down the Hudson into the NY Bight...could be as early as next week for some of that action to resume....

Again, it's too early to tell, but most of the folks I know who fish the surf regularly seem to feel that we only have 30 nights of spring fishing left where there is a potential shot at a night surf trophy.....

Hence the sense of urgency and the drive to be out there at night in all kinds of weather.

Fished the last 2 nights.
It's been downhill since I got those 2 bass on Mon night....

Tue night fished 4 hours, no action whatsoever on artificials.
Wed night Finchaser came out and we fished a few previously productive areas in the rain. At times the rain and wind were bothersome and affected our presentation. However IMO not as bad as it was on Mon and Tue nights.

Nonetheless, neither of us could drum up any artificial action.
It's always a pleasure to fish with that old, cantankerous, wizened, crabby, ornery, argumentative, skilled, pasionate about fishing. grouchy basstard....:HappyWave:

This is developing as a fantastic season for grass shrimp as there were literally thousands of them at each stop for the night...but relatively few bass feeding in that dirtier, murky water......

Still, the company made for a memorable night, as the old grouch never once complained...:cool: .we did what we set out to do,....fish hard.

the S/SE wind made for poor opportunities this week. Hopefully the W/NW will change things up a bit.....we'll gettum next time....

And some people like to fish in crazy weather :kooky: :HappyWave:

Well you would have been drooling all over yourself last night...the weather was pretty crazy....rain running down your neck and soaking your underwear.....
:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

BTW Fin and I discussed it, and we deemed you VP of the Googan Nation....your award will be online here the next chance I get....:laugh:

Chas and others, sincere congrats on your fish....
:thumbsup:
I know you are out there almost every day....
Surf bass (other than bunker blitzes) aren't easy to come by in the daytime this year, so far.....
Even all the more rewarding that you got a few.....:clapping:

DarkSkies
05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Pic of Chas's fish, courtesy of Chas.
Thanks and congrats! :clapping:

finchaser
05-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Yep Dark gets all excited seeing the grass shrimp,even carries a jar of cocktail sauce in his pork rind holder :drool:

madcaster
05-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Lots of blues today in RB ...fished incoming very windy ....they were smacking it off the top today.

Monty
05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Lots of blues today in RB ...fished incoming very windy ....they were smacking it off the top today.
Nice pic and report Madcaster (nice plug)

storminsteve
05-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Nice catches Madcaster and Chas. Dark how come you aren't in on this great bluefish action? Come on out and get some!
I fished yesterday., RB, Got off early and fished around high tide till the end of outgoing. The bluefish were there and hitting top water. Awesome to see them crash the pencils. Fish to 11#. sore arms again. Trying to get out there for the end of day bite. Hope they will still be there.

VSdreams
05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Yep Dark gets all excited seeing the grass shrimp,even carries a jar of cocktail sauce in his pork rind holder :drool:

Does he carry grey poupon too or is he a cocktail sauce only kind.
Nice going guys, big blues are fun.

madcaster
05-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Had a great day catching .fished RB incoming. here some under water shots I did
They were hitting top water again today.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Does he carry grey poupon too or is he a cocktail sauce only kind.
Nice going guys, big blues are fun.

Har de har haaaar. :moon:
Ya's do know, that if you're out there and somehow get lost in the wilds of IBSP, Sandy Hook, Fire Island, or Nantucket..:laugh:..that the ability to survive would depend on your skill in finding and eating these small creatures,,,,and the cocktail sauce, just means I'm prepared....:HappyWave:

Dark how come you aren't in on this great bluefish action? Come on out and get some!
Trying to get out there for the end of day bite. Hope they will still be there.

Steve, I'm out of the game for a bit...serious vehicle breakdown keeps me grounded for awhile...:(
Catch a few for me while yer out there....:HappyWave:

Madcaster, great report and pics......I particularly like the 3rd one in the series....I think it shows the most detail and implied action. Must have been great fun for you today.....glad you got into some bigger ones. :headbang:

DarkSkies
05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
I sent the OLD Farts Fishing Club to a spot of great bluefish action today.....

This spot has been so consistent that they have gotten bluefish there every day for the last 3 weeks , with the exception of a few days where it was off. due to poor weather.

Picture this...:drool:

Sunny skies,
W/NW wind
Water heating up...
Thousands of grass shrimp in the water......
A virtual marine smorgasbord for every kind of fish.....

But....
They get there,, one last large bluefish is caught...
and the bite dies as soon as Yardville Jimmy walks onto the beach.......

I don't want to put it on the other members...
As they are truly hardcore and put other anglers half their age to shame....:viking:

Their catches are consistent....
Their skills legendary....

All until they started hanging with that unreliable guy Yardville Jimmy.....
who now seems to care more about his home garden and golf game, than fishing........

The other members, before they inducted Jimmy into the OFFC...they caught at least half of the time they were out there.....

We have to do our best to report the truth here at StripersAndAnglers....and Yardville Jimmy brought the black :skunk: cloud of doom to the beach today.....single-handedly shutting down the bite when conditions were optimal........:scared:

They're still out there, now on the ocean-side...hopefully by tomorrow they'll have a fish or 2 to report about, instead of the :skunk: :ROFLMAO

Best of luck, guys.....
:HappyWave:Pssst....leave Yardville home next time.....:)

skinner
05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
^^^ Throwing the old farts under the bus?:beatin: dark.:HappyWave:
I fished somoco from 5-6am, right around low tide, plugging,. nothiing for me. chas and mad, nice fish.

gjb1969
05-13-2012, 03:22 AM
i got my first keeper of the year and it felt so d good now i hope to get some on plugs just as i was going to pack up and go my reel starts to screem and in comes a nice 31 inch bass15214i hope this is a start of good things to come:fishing::HappyWave::clapping:

Mike O
05-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Fished SH from 3am to around 8:30 skunko. Bunker all over the place.

Monty
05-13-2012, 04:00 PM
i got my first keeper of the year and it felt so d good now i hope to get some on plugs just as i was going to pack up and go my reel starts to screem and in comes a nice 31 inch bass

Nice catch G.:thumbsup:

I fished this morning.
1:00 to 2:30 out front, one hit on metal lip, missed it.
Bay side 3:15 to 7:30, one fish was all over a Dookster and I promptly yanked it from its mouth.
Then moved bayside again, new spot (thank you big time). Fished there 8:15 to 11:30.
Had a great time with some mean gators. Landed around 20 of them, a few 30-34 inches.
Awesome time, finally some tarpon action with the blues. Went all last hear without a blue anywhere close to this size.
All on top water, Gold Dookster and a Surfstix Popper.
Fished with a few other guys in the area (rare for me), had a great time with them, some good laughs, not one tangle up, great chit-chat during the fun.
First hook-up was two Blues on the same plug at the same time (the Dookster). Have had lots of doubles before with a teaser, this was a first for me on the same plug.
Awesome fun morning for me.:d
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_5_13_Plugs.jpg

cowherder
05-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Wow look at those plugs all bashed up! Nice going monty and gjb!

storminsteve
05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Nice work gjb and monty! I fished the back of rb on Sat and played with the blues. Some were monsters. Fun fishing all on poppers. Catch them while you can fellas.:fishing:

rip316
05-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Did the boag thing Sat. No fluke or bass. Tons of bunker in the bay. Snagged and dropped, livelined, even trolled stretches along side tne pods. Dropped heads and chunks to the bottom and couldn't get a fish. The pods were nervous and occassionally bunker sprayed throughout the pods. Very frustrating. Stopped at a spot close to the beach in the back and caught about 50 blues in an hr. Kids had a blast with the blues again to 12lbs all on metal. Blues saved the day and kept the skunk off the boat. I marked 48 to 51 water tamps.

gjb1969
05-14-2012, 12:18 PM
way to go rip the blues are a pia when u want bass but its fishing atleast u got some fish tite lines and good fishin:fishing::clapping:

finchaser
05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
I guess I taught him well my son in laws 48

hookset
05-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Wow nice fish finchaser.
Fished nomoco Sat from 3-5:30am. About 1/2 hour before dawn it got interesting as there were a lot of bunker in close. No blitzing but the bass were under them. Got 2 bass to 21lbs on bunker heads. It was over when the sun started to show.

chas527
05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
fished the hook this morning. 2nice bass one 34inches the other 28 on clams. 2small blue fish on metal.2 big skates and a searobbin.

wish4fish
05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
hey dudes nice fish! i bin catchin a lot of blues on bunker but havent seen a striper in a week in the back. dont kno if its the spawn or whatnot but its tough. grats on the bass fish hard die young lol

chas527
05-16-2012, 01:01 PM
fished the hook this morning with clams,2 skates didn't see a striper or blue fish caugth.did see a lot of bunker but nothing under them.

finchaser
05-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Yesterday 1 bass 11# and 24 bluefish all still swimming bass on a plug and blues on metal
Today 19 bluefish all on metal all still swimming

DarkSkies
05-16-2012, 09:09 PM
^^ Looks like you old farts :laugh: are schooling the young uns on the site, WTG, Chas and Fin. :clapping:

I sent the OFFC (Old Farts Fishin Club) on a mission to catch, today in the sunlight.....

They had that old Gloom and Doom Surfcaster Yardville Jimmy with em, though.
Lately he's more interested in landscaping his house, than fishing....:HappyWave:

Hope he didn't drag them down too much, and they got at least a fish or 2.....Cmon you OLD FARTS we're rooting for ya's! :thumbsup:

wish4fish
05-16-2012, 10:40 PM
hey dark they aint the only onez fishin we been representing at nite too the only prob is its mostly blue doggies. got at least 25 between us last 3 nights even in the rain they are like the devil they dont want to leave but u know its fun. we did get 2 bass 1 was 15lbs and the other was 23 but other than that its the blue doggies all on meat! finchaser and the other old dudes glad u r catching but u kno nothing beats da bunker chunks and heads. anytime u want to fish bunker with us let me kno and i will snag enuff for all of us. u bring the beer we bring the bunker. let me kno dudes!

rip316
05-17-2012, 11:04 AM
hey dark they aint the only onez fishin we been representing at nite too the only prob is its mostly blue doggies. got at least 25 between us last 3 nights even in the rain they are like the devil they dont want to leave but u kno its fun. we did get 2 bass 1 was 15lbs and the other was 23 but other than that its the blue doggies all on meat! finchaser and the other old dudes glad u r catching but u kno nothing beats da bunker chunks and heads. anytime u want to fish bunker with us let me kno and i will snag enuff for all of us. u bring the beer we bring the bunker. let me kno dudes!

Wish, i wouldnt mind getting out with ya. Would have to be on a day when i dont go out on the boat though. One day ill let you guys know when i dont have a crew and will send an invite out to some s n a members. Promised finchaser first though. Gotta get him down here. Tough when the family comes as i dont have a yacht. Lol.

baitstealer
05-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Great catches guys.I fished this morning at the begginning of the outgoing tide in ocean county right above island beach. I was using clams and bunker. Kept getting a lot of taps, no fish. Then finally a big skate. I took one pole and put on smaller hooks, hi low rig. Got 5 nice blowfish! Will be eating for dinner.

storminsteve
05-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Late report, fished Tue after work, and last night, nomoco. I started out with shads but there were a lot of small bluefish 1-3lbs chomping the tails. Switched to bucktail and rind and racked quite a few up. They were relentless on the outgoing tide. Finchaser Chas and Wish, nice going on the bass. So far all I have this week is the pest small blues. Back at it again this weekend.
Baitstealer grats on the blowfish. I haven't seen a good run of blowfish for years.
Rip remember if you fish with us your fish count starts at 0. Boat fish don't count.:moon::HappyWave:
And you and Dark better supply the pork roll egg and cheese or no deal.

madcaster
05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Had plenty of blues last night ...testing out plugs and camera and surfstick. I had the whole area all to my self not a sole around.
Learned a leason about taking video ...keep the lens clean at all time.:HappyWave:

rip316
05-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Late report, fished Tue after work, and last night, nomoco. I started out with shads but there were a lot of small bluefish 1-3lbs chomping the tails. Switched to bucktail and rind and racked quite a few up. They were relentless on the outgoing tide. Finchaser Chas and Wish, nice going on the bass. So far all I have this week is the pest small blues. Back at it again this weekend.
Baitstealer grats on the blowfish. I haven't seen a good run of blowfish for years.
Rip remember if you fish with us your fish count starts at 0. Boat fish don't count.:moon::HappyWave:
And you and Dark better supply the pork roll egg and cheese or no deal.

Today we were in the boat, 3' of water, anchored up in front of three guys wading out aabout 2 to 300 yards from shore. Being that we were in 3' of water but still in the boat does that still count??? Lol. We caught a ton of big blues today again.

vpass
05-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Fished yesterday end of incoming thru the first half of the outgoing. Made afew stops until I ran into a few Coctails blues. Seen bunker but nothing under them. Fished the bag, the blues only wanted metals. seen a few fluke and searobins caught.

DarkSkies
05-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Today we were in the boat, 3' of water, anchored up in front of three guys wading out aabout 2 to 300 yards from shore. Being that we were in 3' of water but still in the boat does that still count??? Lol. We caught a ton of big blues today again.

About what time did you finish up for the day? Were there 2 kayaks nearby?
Was there a picket line of rods on the beach in front of where you were?

Pebbles and I were on the sand in that general area.. She told me she thought she saw a SERIOUS GOOGAN on the sand and it might be you....:laugh:
I told her you're too much of a SHARPIE to be a Googan anymore, and rare is the day that you allow your feet to touch the sand touched by us commoners, only the best Fiberglass and Gel-Coat for you......:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:
Congrats, at least ya got some big blues.....:thumbsup:

I took Pebbles on a RB tour of some bluefish hotspots before sunset tonight. We hit 4 places and found they only caught numbers of fish late afternoon from one of them....

Of course we arrived an hour after the last fish was caught....:bucktooth:

Then we fished some other back bay areas, for the next 1 1/2 hours.

Prime time for the tide...
lots of grass shrimp but not much other action, no fish activity for us at all. :skunk:

rip316
05-19-2012, 06:45 AM
We finished up around 230. There were kayaks out there but, where I was there were no guys on the beach. Only three guys wading to the chest deep water about 2 to 300 yards out. They got into them good. They had a stringer of bluefish attched to them. They had to have at least 10 fish tied to there wastes.
We anchored up in front of them giving them pleanty of room because they must have had finchaser rods and speedys pocket rockets because they were getting it out there.
My nephews first time tangling with a blue. His words and ecpressions of " holy ****" when he had his blue of at least 27" on was priceless and watching his dad smile at his son was worth every bit of it. Great day on the water.

DarkSkies
05-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Pebbles and I were on the sand in that general area.. She told me she thought she saw a SERIOUS GOOGAN on the sand and it might be you....:laugh:
I told her you're too much of a SHARPIE to be a Googan anymore, and rare is the day that you allow your feet to touch the sand touched by us commoners, only the best Fiberglass and Gel-Coat for you......:ROFLMAO :HappyWave:
Congrats, at least ya got some big blues.....:thumbsup:

they must have had finchaser rods and speedys pocket rockets because they were getting it out there.
My nephews first time tangling with a blue. His words and ecpressions of " holy ****" when he had his blue of at least 27" on was priceless and watching his dad smile at his son was worth every bit of it. Great day on the water.

Ya didn't take the bait about the Googan comment? :scared:
I'm surprised and a little disappointed, Rip....:laugh: ;)
You're turning into a serious angler......no fun anymore...:( :boring:
No more all-night marathons for Mr Rip, what sadness has come to Mudville....:whoo:

That's ok, all good bro, ya know I was just trying to get a rise out of ya.....

The comments you made about your nephew catching his first bluefish.....and the excitement....that's what it's all about.....nothing like a smile on a kid's face when he or she catch their first fish, especially an angry bluefish.....Good for him, and good for you...and his Dad.....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

gjb1969
05-19-2012, 05:58 PM
well its back to skunkvill for me go out early went to amboy fished the river and then the kill i missed the tide it was going out fast and i do meen fast 5 oz 6 oz would not hold plugs hit the water and just take off with the tide lost one good blue and that was it i could tell my buzzards luck was not gone !!!! i am going back out to try again

buckethead
05-19-2012, 06:33 PM
i missed the tide it was going out fast and i do meen fast 5 oz 6 oz would not hold plugs hit the water and just take off with the tide lost

Fish the slack. Even Crazy Alberto says this. Bettter luck next time.
I fished the raritan Fri afternoon. We had been getting fish on poppers. Yesterday it was a metal bite and they wouldn't hit poppers at all where I was. Managed 21 bluefish to 5lbs on krokodiles. The action was best around 6pm when a shool of small bait moved in. Then it stopped completely 1/2 hour before sunset. Today went back for a repeat, I started a little earlier. There were only a few of us there. We all got skunked.
gjb, it happens.

rip316
05-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Ya didn't take the bait about the Googan comment? :scared:
I'm surprised and a little disappointed, Rip....:laugh: ;)
You're turning into a serious angler......no fun anymore...:( :boring:
No more all-night marathons for Mr Rip, what sadness has come to Mudville....:whoo:

That's ok, all good bro, ya know I was just trying to get a rise out of ya.....

The comments you made about your nephew catching his first bluefish.....and the excitement....that's what it's all about.....nothing like a smile on a kid's face when he or she catch their first fish, especially an angry bluefish.....Good for him, and good for you...and his Dad.....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

I have turned over a new leaf. No more sarcasm or smart allec remarks.:2flip: hahahahahahahahaha

Monty
05-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Fished out front this morning 1:00 to 7:00, two areas a good 10+ miles apart, then bay side 7:30 to 9:30. Skunkzilla :skunk:.
Nice night, water was stained/dirty in all places. Some nice size rollers out front every once and a while (managed to not get knocked over:d ).
Water felt cold.
http://www.rocksimpson.com/images/2012_5_20_WW.jpg

ledhead36
05-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice night, water was stained/dirty in all places. Some nice size rollers out front every once and a while (managed to not get knocked over:d ).
Water felt cold.

The bay got a lot colder and dirty monty. Don't know how far back you were but there is like this brown stain for the first 200 feet out there. I fished last night and we lucked into a great bay bluefish bite. The bunker where everywhere in this one cove. If you didn't have a blue every 5 minutes you werent trying. All hit on bunker chunks. They wouldn't touch heads and there were no bass to eat the heads. Blues were from 26-33" which was good as a lot of small ones have been around lately. The bunker eventually moved out and it shut off.

Returned there tonight and nadda.
I Like that ocean pic monty. You were lucky you didn't get knocked over.:scared:

baitstealer
05-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Fished yesterday pm in the island beach area. Incomeing tide, needed 8 oz with clams and it wasn't really holding just rolling around. El skunko.

captnemo
05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
We trolled Shrews Rocks Sunday for some nicer fish. It was pretty sporty out there. Bunker were thiick. We trolled bunker spoons and got 2 bass to 33lbs, both released. Also some big blues.

storminsteve
05-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Tried the ocean in nomoco from 4-6pm. It was pretty discolored. Made a slight move to get away from the swell. Still got the :skunk:

finchaser
05-22-2012, 09:56 PM
27 blues 4 to7 pounds all on metal all alive and well

chas527
05-23-2012, 02:25 PM
fished the last two mornings,yesterday 2shorts on clams today two blues on bunker.bunker all over this morning.

finchaser
05-23-2012, 03:19 PM
11 blues this am all on metal all released

DarkSkies
05-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Late report, Sun Pm.

Made a shift S to do some scouting.
Came on the mother load of bunker, being harassed by bass keeper size and above.
Threw the bag but the only thing they wanted was snag and drop, bleeding bunker.

Pebbles has been giving my grief about my car looking like a hobo lives in it. :o
She's right, it was getting pretty bad, and had accumulated all sorts of tackle for the "What if" scenarios.

Since she was kind enough to lend me her car, I had minimal tackle, tackle bag, rod, waders, and some extra plug boxes.
I really felt I could get just one fish on artificials as I have profiles that exactly resemble and swim like bunker....but they ain't....sometimes there is no way to entice fish to hit artificials when the bunker are thick, and Sun night they were thicker than I have seen all season. I could not get off one single cast without bumping bunker 5 or 10 times.....

It was humbling not to have a weighted treble, seeing they wouldn't touch artificials.
The amount of bunker was like a National Geographic video, the fish smell permeated the air everywhere along the beach.....

Finally I managed to snag a bunker on a shad, in desperation. Dropped it to the bottom. The weeds were bad, ebb tide, and the bunker eventually moved off.

The total action lasted for 2 1/2 hours. The closest friend to this action lived about 12 miles away. I knew his wife would kill him, if I called at 2am looking to score some weighted trebles. :beatin:

As the action died down, I made a move to another location, no action.

Slept in Pebbles car for a shot at the morning bite before I had to leave for work.

The rain was heavy and relentless.
Around 5am there was a break in the weather and I ran for the surf.
Did the pencil popping thing for 20 mins, no activity at all as the bunker sucked all the life out of that area like a vacuum cleaner.

Found out later some guys I know who were able to chase those bass got a few that morning in that area to 40#.
Hey, that's fishin. :fishing:

DarkSkies
05-23-2012, 07:17 PM
27 blues 4 to7 pounds all on metal all alive and well

11 blues this am all on metal all released

WTG, are you over 100 yet ya grouchy basstid? :moon: :kiss:

fishinmission78
05-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Fished ocean county tonight, near island beach. 3 bass to 32", clams. All in a 1/2 hour period, incoming tide. The surf is getting smaller but I still needed 8oz to hold. Very foggy out, be careful guys if you get out there.

finchaser
05-23-2012, 11:16 PM
well over

hookset
05-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Great results guys. I fished last night somoco, big water and no fish for me.

finchaser
05-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Today 6-9 pm
18#,16# bass and 13 blues 3 to 5 pounds all on jig head and rip tide mullet paddle tail all alive and well

cowherder
05-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Today 6-9 pm
18#,16# bass and 13 blues 3 to 5 pounds all on jig head and rip tide mullet paddle tail all alive and well

Wow finchaser you are on fire! Congratulations those are some great numbers! :clapping:
I fished moco this morning with rubber and plugs, incoming tide, can't shake the skunk.

buckethead
05-25-2012, 01:54 PM
^^ X2, way to go finchaser.
I fished nomoco on the incoming 4-6am, managed one bass 34" on clams. Lots of bunker happily swimming in the water.

fishinmission78
05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Nothing for me today, early before work. The sea is starting to clean up and the swell is cutting down but it's foggy as hell in the morning. grats on the fish finchaser.

finchaser
05-25-2012, 05:02 PM
thanks guy's just a note i haven't been out front. well no more fishing until Tuesday the Benny's have invaded

fishjay
05-26-2012, 09:34 AM
OFFC

2/3 s of the club went looking yesterday in No. monmouth. found some bunker and followed them for an hour or two with no sucess. there were a couple of stray bluefish caught on metal. no fish and the bunker disappeared.

fishjay

DarkSkies
05-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Wow finchaser you are on fire! Congratulations those are some great numbers! :clapping:

Cowherder, realize that Finchaser can pull fish out of a rain puddle....:laugh: (if they're there).
For the week before he started getting into these good numbers, he was out up to 3x/day looking for fish....and not finding them. This was unusual because they generally show up in the back bay areas a lot sooner than that....
Yet that old grouchy basstid persisted....and it's finally starting to pay off for him....which is good to see, because he's a lot less grouchy when he's catchin.....:argue: :HappyWave:

^^ An OFFC fishing report!....:eek:.about as rare as a surf caught 40# bass NOT caught in a bunker blitz......:laugh:

Nice to see ya's got out. I'm assuming that Yardville Jimmy is too busy with his gardening to come fishing with ya's..... :rolleyes: :beatin:
At least you got some action....that's fishin.... :HappyWave:.:fishing:

storminsteve
05-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Nice going fellas. Fished nomoco yesterday afternoon, incoming tide, some blues to 5lbs on metal.
Went back this morning before sunrise, got the skunk.

cowherder
05-26-2012, 02:28 PM
way to go guys! I am debating going out this weekend. With all the traffic it might not be fun, so I am still on the fence.

fishinmission78
05-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Ocean county 4-6am, one 15lb bass, clams. Also some small bait seen in the surf zone.

buckethead
05-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Got into some nice bluefish action in nomoco today, 1-5lbs on metal avas. 6-7:30 PM, picked up a half a dozen. Bunker all over, no bass under.

jigfreak
05-26-2012, 10:04 PM
I'll 2nd the bunker all over part. Hit some popular areas for sunrise, popping away, all the bunker you wanted, not a single bass. We need a good W wind.

storminsteve
05-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Nice going guys at least you got into some fish. buckethead i love that bluefish action. May take a walk and look for them later this afternoon.

gjb1969
05-27-2012, 04:02 PM
i got a report i just plain suck!!!! with fresh still wiggling bait i still could not get a bass or a blue

basshunter
05-27-2012, 04:19 PM
^ Sorry to hear that gjb1969. Do you fish in the day and night too? Maybe time to hit the darkside, just my .02. There was a lot of fog and rain which guys were complaining about. I don't think a bright sunny day is too great either unless the fish are blitzing on the beach.

gjb1969
05-27-2012, 08:22 PM
i am geting rest from a long fishing trip 12pm fri to 6 pm sat and i still cant get a d thing so the night was done so was the day i just suck right now

Monty
05-27-2012, 08:42 PM
i got a report i just plain suck!!!! with fresh still wiggling bait i still could not get a bass or a blue

i am geting rest from a long fishing trip 12pm fri to 6 pm sat and i still cant get a d thing so the night was done so was the day i just suck right now

G I'm in that "I suck mode too", :HappyWave:
Fished this morning out front 2:00 to 9:30, one hit (and a solid miss).
That's two solid Skunks in a row for me.
Really enjoyed the time fishing, fished water I had not fished in a few years, was great (except for that not getting a bend in the rod thing).
Took a break at one point because of lightning, had some real nice rain, nice white water, great temperature and the beach to myself (except for :skunk:). Did have a raccoon come up real close to me, shined light on it and it wondered off.

gjb1969
05-27-2012, 09:30 PM
well u got a bite i got one big a-- crab on one of my chunks but thats fishing just go with the flow

Monty
05-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Fished ocean side again this morning 4:45-9:45, real nice morning, picked up 8 Blues up to ~5 lbs. On metal, Dookster, Teaser (Double on a teaser and Redfin). Last fish caught around 8:30, lost and missed a few. No crowd, weather was to nice, fun morning, planning on trying again tomorrow morning (searching for stripes). I like the Dookster.

gjb1969
05-29-2012, 02:49 PM
hey way to go on the fish now find some bass!!

gjb1969
05-29-2012, 03:00 PM
here are some pics from last night bass and blue were in and out my buddy had the hot hand lost a few bigger ones

Monty
05-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Fished ocean side again this morning 4:30-10:30, no bass for me, was again a beautiful morning and again picked up 8 Blues. The first 7 were cocktail size and caught on a teaser, the last one caught at 9:15 was little bigger than 30" and put up a real nice fight (compared to the cocktail blues). No crowd, real fun morning, planning on trying again tomorrow morning (still searching for stripes).

gjb1969
05-30-2012, 07:15 PM
way to go i will be back at it this weekend :HappyWave:

jigfreak
05-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Nice getting that blue on a plug monty. I think you were one of the few to get one on a plug today. I got out there early this afternoon in search of some bass. I found 15 miles of bunker, so thick it looked like the whole ocean was aliive at times. Not one bass to be found under them.

There were some blowups out of reach. Plugs didn't work. Neither did metal. Only thing that got fiish was snag and drop. Picky bluefish what a concept. And these were big blues 11-15lbs, tho they were skinny and long. Can't figure that out.
Managed 5 blues to 15# snagging and dropping before all my snags were gone. Moco.

finchaser
05-30-2012, 10:30 PM
tonight 5 to 9 PM released 21 blues and a bass all on metal and rubber

Monty
05-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Fished this morning ocean side 4:30 - 9:30. Still no bass this week (4 trips) :fishing::D
3 more blues (2 cocktail and one ~28" ) ~28" was on a teaser.
Terrible sunrise, Lots and lots of fog. Wind changed direction almost as often as I change plugs (lots of times).
Last 3 days fished an area approximately 2 miles ocean side, never saw any bait, birds picking randomly. Majority of blues caught on teaser, the blues would not hit anything big. If there was a big popper in front of the teaser the blue would hit the teaser. Next outing (tomorrow AM if I can wake up), changing counties:idea:... in search of stripes. This was another fun outing.

Blue on the teaser

Sunrise

Nera

dogfish
05-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Did ya use the teaser to get the cat too or just a can o tuna?:laugh:
Come on up to Mass if ya want some bass monty. The ditch and the race are full on right now.

seamonkey
05-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Fished cape may this am, an endless stream of sandsharks hit my bunker. Did someone say they were endangered? Not in cape may thats for sure.

gjb1969
06-01-2012, 02:28 AM
heres my buddy bass from tonight15269

Monty
06-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Fished this morning out front 3:30 - 8:00.
Weather was real nice, water was choppy. Skunkaroo.
Had one hit on rubber shad. Had fun, fished an area I'm relatively familiar with.
Wish it would have been rainy and overcast, but was great fun being out there in the bright sunny weather.
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_6_1_SunRise.jpg

basshunter
06-01-2012, 07:40 PM
That was a nice report anyway monty thanks for posting. I think I am going to wait a few days after the storm to go out fishing again. Looked real nasty today.

finchaser
06-01-2012, 09:24 PM
tonight 5-9 released 2 bluefish on rubber