PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for the Week of 6-9 to 6-15-08

bunkerjoe4
06-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Important when registering on our site use an active email address so you can activate account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free, as long as you are not overly specific about location.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

bunkerjoe4
06-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Important when registering on our site use an active email address so you can activate account to be able to post.

NJ Week in Review 6-9-08

The past week has been a very rewarding one to be a surfcaster in NJ. There have been some incredible catches reported, and some more incredible ones that are not being reported. The best advice I can give you folks out there is to find the bunker. When you find the combination of bunker and bass, amazing things can happen.

I just want you folks to be aware that this might be the last push of bass that we will get from the south before the water heats up too much, and they move out of our area to northern states. If you have been putting off fishing because of other obligations, then the next two weeks would be the most productive time of all to focus on fishing. Catch em up! – Bunker Joe.

NY Week in Review 6-9-08

Folks things have really heated up in NJ in certain areas. Look for those fish to come your way soon. Now is the most productive time to put other things aside and get out fishing. Good Luck – Bunker Joe.

fishlipper
06-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Fished in the ocean last 2 days. Spending an average of 8 hours eash trip. Bite has been incredible, but I always to seem to get there when they are hauling the fish home. Missed it by 2 hours Sun.

Then yesterday, I harassed my friends to come down and get into it. They got fish where they were, and a few other guys and I got nothing 2 miles away, even though we were casting like madmen.

I'm starting a new fishing club, called LLFC, the Lame Loser Fishing Club, call 1-800-Lame-Loser, and I will answer.;)

Anyway, some very happy people yesterday, and I told them I would post their pics, so I will. Congrats to all who caught fish, up to 42 bs, from the sand. It's a day you will remember forever, and you all deserved those fish, glad you got them.:thumbsup:

Anyone who wants the original sized pics for their records (around 800-900k/pic each), if you are a member, pm me, and I will send you a copy on a cd, or through e-mail if your e-mail server accepts pics. that size.

Beautiful fish, people!

fishlipper
06-10-2008, 12:46 PM
These were caught by Helder and his 4 buddies. Think the biggest was 35lbs.:clapping:

Edit 7/15- on another site, someone was talking about this pickup truck picture, said what a "waste" it was, and they were mad that things like this go on. Again, anyone who could actually read would see that 5 people caught this amount of fish. I just highlighted it above now for emphasis, but it's been there all along.

I know Helder and his buddies, they fish the Asbury area all the time. Many times, I have seen them out there night after night getting skunked, and me along with them.

Helder is also responsible for several impromptu cleanups, as also mentioned on another site. :thumbsup:

People also complained about the black kid in the other pic who's dressed in "street" clothes, saying he did not look like a "real" fisherman, or that a guy looking like that didn't deserve those fish.

What a crock of sh*t! I don't know that kid in the pics, but have fished with some of his buddies. One guy looks like Chris Rock, has dreads, and is a dedicated surf fisherman. I have fished with him a couple of times when the waves were breaking over the rocks and almost knocked us off.

No one has a right to make a judgement about whether a person "deserves" a fish or not depending on the color of his skin or the sophistication of his gear. That's just plain elitist. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif I don't fish with the elite guys, I fish with real people.

I also fish NY a lot, and if you talked that crap in NY like some of these internet tough guys are talking on the internet, they would get tossed in the suds to cool their racist mouths off.

I have seen bad fisherman of all races out there, but the ones that amuse me the most are those who think they are better than everyone else. I know this is long winded, but it was time to say something about it.

You should be so lucky to meet a guy like Helder out there. Great guy, and you just might learn somethin about fishin. :thumbsup: :clapping:

fishlipper
06-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Forget to get the name of this guy and his friends. Nice fish.:clapping:

Edit 7-15 - this is the pic some elitist idiots on another site were complaining about. See comments above for details. I would fish with this kid any day before I hung out with an elitist Abercrombie & Fitch quasi-fisherman who has nothing better to do than make internet comments about why someone who is dressed like this doesn't deserve to catch fish. People looking at a picture should not judge the circumstances unless they know the person, or story behind it. Rant over.

fishlipper
06-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Some of his friend's fish. :thumbsup:

fishlipper
06-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Didn't get these names either. Lo siento, amigos. :clapping:

fishlipper
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Met this guy way in the front . First time fishin NJ, yet he managed not to kill himself, and get a decent fish.

Think his name is Jerry. He drove all the way here from Lancaster, Pa. Jersey bass finally lit up, dude! Glad you got one. :thumbsup:

clamchucker
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Don't feel bad, fish. I missed out on the last 3 fish catching explosions. Helps to have a cell phone posse, I guess I am out of the loop as well.;)

bunkerjoe4
06-11-2008, 01:06 PM
OK folks, the winner for the May NJ fishing reports plug giveaway is yardville jimmy. Jimmy, please e-mail me the address where you want it sent. The plug will be a Davis topwater swimmer, similar to the ones fishlipper is using. You will be getting a yellow one. If anyone has not yet checked out the thread for Davis lures, go take a look. He's a good plug-builder, sells them at reasonable prices, and as shown, they do catch fish.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=78

Congrats to all others who have been in the right place at the right time and have caught those big bass. Even more congrats to those who caught 10 or 20 of them at a time, and released them.:thumbsup:

clamchucker
06-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Northern ocean county this am, Few cocktail bluefish on metals. They were in and out in a flash.

fishlipper
06-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Tue:

Went on a scouting mission to find feeding bass on bunker. We finally found some in MoCo, pod about 1oo yards long with busting bass. It was out of reach, so I swam out to a jetty tip where they were, and was just setting up when some boats came over and put them down. got 2 casts in, and it was done. Mweanwhile, a guy caught a decent bass on a jetty about 1000 ft to the north of me, so jetty hopping does pay off.

Then we went further south, where we saw a guy coming off the beach with 2 20lbers. There were about 150 guys converged on that place, mob scene. Meanwhile, the bite was over, only one other fish caught, lots of guys standing around. One very large school of bunker getting harassed by one or 2 bass.

Wed:
Tried to start where Tuesday's action ended, As I was getting there, a friend called and said they were getting bass 15 miles further north, so I made the drive. When I got there, no one was catching anything. I set up on a nice group of rocks and plugged for 1 1/2 hours, a lot of boats were off that area, and we did see a small bunker school. But that was it, bite never materialized.

Then went further up north to SH, fished there for 2 hrs in the dark, horseshoe crabs humping my legs. Usually not bad, but I had shorts and sneakers on. I thought they were done mating? :don't know why:

Slept in the car, and then again drove S in the pre-dawn darkness, where there were a lot of bunker schools close to the beach. However, couldn't get anything going with them, no bass under them at that time.:skunk:

Total travel miles yesterday around 120 miles, can't afford to do that too much.

It used to be that you could find some structure, throw a reasonable presentation of plugs, eventually you would hook up with a bass or 2, and be happy.

Now it seems to be all about following the trucks to where the action is. It's sad to me that it has come to this, maybe it does mean that less bass are around. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

wish4fish
06-12-2008, 04:42 PM
glad at least some of u guys are catching bass out front, the bass bite in RB is oficially done! Small blues in certain places before sunset on metals, and some fluke too. But fishing for bass back here is so lame, time I hit the ocean, lol.

fishinmission78
06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
wish4, hasn't been so great out front the past 2 days either. Unless you found the blitz there on Tue at IBSP, it's been like watching paint dry.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

LennyD
06-12-2008, 05:44 PM
went to MoCo this morning 300am - 530am, throw some plugs, no hit at all.

fishlipper
06-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Hey Lenny you were there at the right time, but it's a coin toss. Makes some guys feel like they won the lottery, while others feel like lame losers. Can happen at any time, most likely when you and I are at work. That's fishin'. BTW, welcome to the site, lotta cool people and advice here. :thumbsup:

captnemo
06-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Tue:

We finally found some in MoCo, pod about 1oo yards long with busting bass. It was out of reach, so I swam out to a jetty tip where they were, and was just setting up when some boats came over and put them down. got 2 casts in, and it was done. Mweanwhile, a guy caught a decent bass on a jetty about 1000 ft to the north of me, so jetty hopping does pay off.

fish, this is becoming an all too-common scenario on the water. More people are getting involved in boating, and the majority of them don't have a clue.:don't know why: We all had to learn somewhere, and I am especially kind to new boaters when I meet them.

However, many are of the new generation with the attitude of " you can't tell me anything, I know it all" Yep, you really do know how to put those bunker schools down.":kooky:

This quote came from another site I belong to, and says it well:

"Got out of work at 4 had the boat in the drink at 5 . Found bunker right away snag and drop managed a big blue (15 lb) and 1 bass @ 30 lbs. The people out there seem like they have no clue. They drive right threw the school of bunker everytime. None the less it was a fun trip with alot of hits and alot of action . My other buddies got bass on there boats 2. Nice day out on the water besides for the bennies who have no clue how to fish."

fishlipper
06-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Just finished downloading the pics. Here's a pic of one of the few bass caught on Tue, by one of the guys from The Asbury Club, maybe 15-20lb class. :thumbsup:

LennyD
06-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Lenny you were there at the right time, but it's a coin toss. Makes some guys feel like they won the lottery, while others feel like lame losers. Can happen at any time, most likely when you and I are at work. That's fishin'. BTW, welcome to the site, lotta cool people and advice here. :thumbsup:

Yup! It feels like im just chasing ghost, but one day will be my lucky day.
Just cant get that keeper yet.:don't know why:

yardvillejimmy
06-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Yesterday NoMoCo late afternoon was on the side of the action. One small striper on popping plug. :banghead2:

fishinmission78
06-14-2008, 02:32 PM
IBSP early morning, not a tap, looked dead out there.

wish4fish
06-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey, I tried to follow that action. In the spring I wuz the bass king, lol. Yesterday I couldn't even hook up a shortie.

fishlipper
06-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Yesterday fished with some of the guys from the site. They were there earlier, and it was dead. They covered 20 miles of territory, S to N, and ended up with some big bluefish chasing bunker, action was all over in a matter of minutes.

I decided to head S again, MoCo, and fish started coming in, I called them down. One got a short, but the action died after a few minutes. Bunker weren't really thick like they were in the morning (in the morning other friends got them up to 34lbs).

So we went looking for a better spot, but tried to stay away from the mob scenes. Turns out the mob scenes were some of about 4 places that produced the biggest bass. I went to one of the productive areas afterwards around 7pm, cast like a madman along with some other guys at the tip of the rocks. Bunker were being attacked about 400' out, but they never came in, a few small bass were caught.

These blitzes are frustrating a lot of people. Plenty are hooking up, but many are not. If you're connected with a cell phone network of many people or a club, you're in.

The way I learned to fish was to go to a productive area, work it a few minutes with targeted casts, maybe catch one fish, and if not, move on to the next area.

The way these blitzes are running, it's almost like if you "follow the trucks" you will get a big bass. I hate that kind of combat fishing, it really sucks, takes all the sport out of it.

But I might be doing it soon if things don't look up. This tells me that there are less bass around. Where there used to be thousands, now there are hundreds, keying in on a specific location or locations. :huh:

This morning, fished first light into dawn, nothing on swimmers and poppers, no bunker visible, huge flotilla of boats anchored off some key areas. :skunk:

Back out at it again in a few minutes.:kooky:

clamchucker
06-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm too old, not like you young pups that go chasing blitz after blitz.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon10.gif Went fluking today "down the beach" from RB, Shrewsbury Rocks. We hit a lot of shorts, but managed to box 2 decent fluke around 5 lbs. Fresh spearing was the key, netted in a river.

clamchucker
06-15-2008, 06:02 PM
SH early sunrise in the suds, a few cocktails on metals.

wish4fish
06-15-2008, 09:30 PM
woo hoo! :dribble: Lots of big fish on the rocks nomoco 4-8:30pm. People were like animals crawlin on each other to cast. I got 2 on poppers, maybe 30lbs, put em back, great fight.

LennyD
06-15-2008, 09:50 PM
woo hoo! :dribble: Lots of big fish on the rocks nomoco 4-8:30pm. People were like animals crawlin on each other to cast. I got 2 on poppers, maybe 30lbs, put em back, great fight.

where did u fish?what town??

wish4fish
06-16-2008, 07:15 AM
lenny, pm me. S of SH