PDA

View Full Version : Row boat in ocean safety

Monty
06-01-2012, 03:06 PM
How safe is this?
Was within casting range.
I absolutely hate boats with fisherman on them (I did not say I hate all boat fisherman).
Way to many of them show complete disregard for surfcasters and display enormously low brain power at times.
That said, I thought this was pretty unsafe in such a choppy ocean and also they were in to close.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_6_1_Stupid_People.jpg

basshunter
06-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Monty is it possible they were lifeguards doing maneuvers?
To be that close to the surf, in a swell that big, seems like suicide to me. I know some people have no sense but it does not even look like there is a motor on that boat.

Monty
06-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Monty is it possible they were lifeguards doing maneuvers?
To be that close to the surf, in a swell that big, seems like suicide to me. I know some people have no sense but it does not even look like there is a motor on that boat.

It didn't seem like it at the time, but you mentioning that I would say yes, could very well have been checking out the area, was like 6:30 or so.. They rowed out of site, long distance at a fast pace. Was very choppy water, maybe they did know what they were doing. PFDs?

jigfreak
06-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Hard to tell, pic is a little blurry. I would say they are lifeguards too. Should have been wearing pfds though.

cowherder
06-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I agree, pfds should be worn when you are close to the water in a rowboat like that. They might have those hot dog type pfds that they use when going out to rescue. And you just could not see them in the picture.

captnemo
07-04-2015, 01:25 PM
I agree, pfds should be worn when you are close to the water in a rowboat like that. They might have those hot dog type pfds that they use when going out to rescue. And you just could not see them in the picture.

This was a report I read yesterday. With the holiday weekend all boaters need to be aware that there are some out there who don't understand basic safety procedures. Keep an eye out for these folks. Just because you are only fishing in a river doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions.

Navesink River 7-3
"We did see some scarey small outboards today in places that they never should have been.
One rental from Schupp's had four big guys plodding back against the tide in Sandy Hook Channel. There was little or no freeboard and no one had on a life preserver. One other 19' outboard was loaded with 7 young adults some hanging their feet over the bow rails while the rest were sitting on the sides."

J Barbosa
07-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Last Friday I seen some of the smallest boats ever hanging around the tip of the hook and just out front. Granted it was beautiful weather and conditions were flat but they can change instantly. A 14' or 16' bass boat does not belong in the open bay or ocean. One good wake from a boat and they're swamped before they even figure out where the life vests are.

captnemo
07-15-2015, 08:27 PM
A 14' or 16' bass boat does not belong in the open bay or ocean. One good wake from a boat and they're swamped before they even figure out where the life vests are.

Weather and conditions can indeed change instantly. I saw some very irresponsible boating on the 4th of july weekend. I think it should be mandatory that everyone operating a boat have taken a safety course with a certificate to prove it. I know this might be impractival with the rowboat renters. Some of them take the biggest risks. When I see children without life vests I think they don't know how close they could be to a mortal tragedy. Every year someone dies because they didn't have their life vest on. I know the coast guard can only do so much. Everyone gripes about being boarded. However it is a lot less painful to pay a find for negligent behavior than to have to explain that their child is dead because of an error that was forseeable. Let's be careful out there folks.

bababooey
12-08-2015, 10:04 PM
I saw this it looked like a aluminum boat about 16-18'. Pretty dicey to fish out of in an inlet this time of year. Pic grab from a surf cam.