PDA

View Full Version : Best way to hold a fish for a picture

madcaster
06-02-2012, 01:27 PM
All my fish are caught ,photo and released ...well not all of them just the big ones
which is your favorite pose with a big fish

Vertical tail up... tail down , horizontal mouth open ,mouth closed , laying on the beach next to the rod
pointing the head at the camera
:huh:

clamchucker
06-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Madcaster I do not take photographs of my fish any more. If I take the grandkids on a boat I will do it. I think it is important so they can look back one day and remember the experience.
When I did take photos, from a boat if it was a bigger fish we would lay it down and hold the head with a grip. I feel that any fish over 30lbs has its organs stresssed internally when you take a vertical picture. Of course if you are putting it back in the water quickly I don't think it matters that much.

What can hurt the fish is thrashing around on the sand. Often that will remove part of its slime coat when folks do that. That is why I would rather hold it than let it lay on the sand.
I try to have a philosophy of to each his own unless I see someone abusing a fish, so I think we are all entitled to take pictures as we see fit.
Good luck to you this season. I see you have been catching a lot of big bluefish. Good job.

jigfreak
06-02-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't take a lot of pics because when the bite is good it cuts down on the numbers. When I do it's the camera phone. Just a quick one, vertical are good, or horizontal if you fish with a friend who can take it. I agree with clamchucker, laying down on the sand for too long is bad for the slime coat.

storminsteve
06-02-2012, 03:15 PM
X3, I like to hold the fish and get it back quick unless I'm eating it. I do think the ones where the mouths are open are pretty cool. Guess you would have to have it laying on the beach to get a good shot that way.
Madcaster I have seen your pics and always enjoy them, especially the one with the 2 bluefish on one plug.
So I guess action shots are the most exciting to me.

cowherder
06-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah madcaster I like the picts you take no matter if its in the water or out.
I also think a fish can look bigger depending on how close someone is holding it to the camera.

basshunter
06-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I like to see the fish alongside the rod so you get an idea how big it is. jmo.

madcaster
06-05-2012, 08:18 PM
most of my pic are like this ....my buddy was to busy trying the land a bass so I just laid it down a shot the pic and released it .this one was 38"

Monty
06-05-2012, 09:03 PM
most of my pic are like this ....my buddy was to busy trying the land a bass so I just laid it down a shot the pic and released it .this one was 38"
Nice pic, its my favorite way too

buckethead
09-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Nice bass mad caster.