PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Video Black Sea Bass Research [AWESOMEEEEE]

dogfish246
06-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Hey guys,

Soooo, I am very very excited to finally show you the video we made from our tagging trip this Friday!!! We used the new underwater video rig that we made and it worked like a charm... Cannot wait to get more footage!

This footage is of the 7min wreck and then the flower wreck off of Atlantic City.

ENJOY and any comments are welcome! Any ideas are welcome too because we are going out again to get some more footage!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLxd1knWQks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLxd1knWQks

CharlieTuna
06-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Very nice dogfish. Will you continue that after you graduate? Staying in NJ or moving elsewhere? You know there is a Woods Hole Institute up our way you may be interested in working for. Keep up the good work.

clamchucker
06-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Good job.

dogfish246
06-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Very nice dogfish. Will you continue that after you graduate? Staying in NJ or moving elsewhere? You know there is a Woods Hole Institute up our way you may be interested in working for. Keep up the good work.

I have just graduated actually and I am trying to become a graduate student. I am still looking at grad schools and Woods Hole is def a great one!

cowherder
06-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Great job dogfish. Good luck with your career.

bababooey
06-11-2012, 02:25 PM
X2 what cowherder said. Great footage!

storminsteve
06-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Pretty cool. Keep up the good work and thanks.

dogfish246
06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks a lot guys! We are going out weds pending the weather to check our traps for tagged fish and hopefully get more footage!!!

seamonkey
06-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Really liked that, thanks for sharing. I noticed the seabass were more aggressive at different reef sites? Also I think I saw fluke and tog in there too.

dogfish246
06-13-2012, 10:06 PM
There was a fluke in the video??? Can you tell me at what time? I totally missed it (and I watched the video over and over prob 15 times lol...
Our raw footage is up at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moYZDYO50F0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moYZDYO50F0

DarkSkies
06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Great job Dogfish. :clapping:
As the questions about accuracy of fish populations, fish habitats, and migrational patterns and shifts gain more importance in fisheries management discussions, videos and research like you are doing will become great tools to help the public get a better picture....thanks so much for taking the time to share these with our members and keep up the good work! :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

seamonkey
06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
dogfish246 I went back and watched again. Thought I saw a fluke at around 7 minutes but that was only a sideways blackfish, I think.

dogfish246
06-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Great job Dogfish. :clapping:
As the questions about accuracy of fish populations, fish habitats, and migrational patterns and shifts gain more importance in fisheries management discussions, videos and research like you are doing will become great tools to help the public get a better picture....thanks so much for taking the time to share these with our members and keep up the good work! :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Thanks, Im glad to do some outreach with the public because you guys miss out on a lot of the research that goes on... It's really great stuff and I personally have a blast doing this (I guess Im on the right path for a profession)... I know as an avid fisherman I would love to be updated on fish research and underwater videos!!!

dogfish246
06-14-2012, 06:35 PM
dogfish246 I went back and watched again. Thought I saw a fluke at around 7 minutes but that was only a sideways blackfish, I think.
Hahaha, I was going crazy because we analyzed the footage and I did not see a flounder haha... That's cool though because you guys might see something that we miss in the lab! So thanks!!!!

DarkSkies
06-17-2012, 08:00 AM

I have just graduated actually and I am trying to become a graduate student. I am still looking at grad schools and Woods Hole is def a great one!

Dogfish, I know there was a research station at Sandy Hook. The last I heard, it's still there, but there have been rumors of a shutdown whenever Federal budget cuts are talked about.

I would have to agree with Charlie Tuna that Woods Hole is one of the most prestigious on the East Coast,
The research they do there is amazing. They have answered striped bass questions for me over the years and I consider them a valuable resource, and a credible source of good scientific data.

I wish I had some job contacts for you at Woods Hole. The only ones I have spoken to there are scientists and not the ones who do the hiring. If I can help you at any time in the future, please let me knoiw.

As we move forward in the struggle to manage our Oceans and the folks who fish in them,, IMO good, solid scientific data will rise to the forefront of a good Fisheries Management Policy (or at least it should)

A large issue we now face as fishermen, is that a lot of the data that is being relied on, is flawed, inaccurate, or mis-construed as it is extrapolated to include whole populations from relatively small sample sizes.

I don't want to bore folks with my Stat knowledge here, but when I did undergrad work, I learned that a good statistical study was only as good as the quality and robustness of the Sample Size.

Trying to extrapolate the Parameters and Behavior of a Population, is difficult at best, if the sample size is small, or some environmental factors in the studying of that particular sample size, are affected by local conditions that do not exist through the overall population.

For example, folks for years have been claiming that 4 million bass a year spawn in the Hudson.
Some of our members here have shown, though elementary calculations, why those figures should be seriously questioned....and this, is with Good Scientists, taking bass and seine surveys in the Hudson Estuary areas......yet somehow the data has come out to show that there are 4 million bass spawning in that area......

**So I hope you don't think I'm being critical here, but rather supportive, and encouraging, of the work you are doing.
The enthusiasm you bring to the table is refreshing, ahd hopefully will spark other guys your age and younger to learn about the striped bass, their migration, the seabass, blackfish, fluke, and other species that are all inter-dependent.

I have high hopes that your generation, instead of focusing on how to get the latest snag and drop bass posted on an internet report, http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png will begin to see the inter-relatedness of how these species all exist within an interdependent framework, and how putting pressure on one species, over another, will cause severe problems down the road.

I wish you the best of luck in your future studies, and hope you continue to maintain the level of enthusiasm you have shown here.
:thumbsup:
I thank you for taking the time to educate and raise awareness.

And on this day., Fathers' Day, I imagine your Dad, if he is alive, is pretty damn proud of what his Son has accomplished so far....:clapping: :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work, and as others have said, best of luck with everything. :HappyWave:

captnemo
06-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for your work.

dogfish246
10-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Dogfish, I know there was a research station at Sandy Hook. The last I heard, it's still there, but there have been rumors of a shutdown whenever Federal budget cuts are talked about.

I would have to agree with Charlie Tuna that Woods Hole is one of the most prestigious on the East Coast,
The research they do there is amazing. They have answered striped bass questions for me over the years and I consider them a valuable resource, and a credible source of good scientific data.

I wish I had some job contacts for you at Woods Hole. The only ones I have spoken to there are scientists and not the ones who do the hiring. If I can help you at any time in the future, please let me knoiw.

As we move forward in the struggle to manage our Oceans and the folks who fish in them,, IMO good, solid scientific data will rise to the forefront of a good Fisheries Management Policy (or at least it should)

A large issue we now face as fishermen, is that a lot of the data that is being relied on, is flawed, inaccurate, or mis-construed as it is extrapolated to include whole populations from relatively small sample sizes.

I don't want to bore folks with my Stat knowledge here, but when I did undergrad work, I learned that a good statistical study was only as good as the quality and robustness of the Sample Size.

Trying to extrapolate the Parameters and Behavior of a Population, is difficult at best, if the sample size is small, or some environmental factors in the studying of that particular sample size, are affected by local conditions that do not exist through the overall population.

For example, folks for years have been claiming that 4 million bass a year spawn in the Hudson.
Some of our members here have shown, though elementary calculations, why those figures should be seriously questioned....and this, is with Good Scientists, taking bass and seine surveys in the Hudson Estuary areas......yet somehow the data has come out to show that there are 4 million bass spawning in that area......

**So I hope you don't think I'm being critical here, but rather supportive, and encouraging, of the work you are doing.
The enthusiasm you bring to the table is refreshing, ahd hopefully will spark other guys your age and younger to learn about the striped bass, their migration, the seabass, blackfish, fluke, and other species that are all inter-dependent.

I have high hopes that your generation, instead of focusing on how to get the latest snag and drop bass posted on an internet report, http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.png will begin to see the inter-relatedness of how these species all exist within an interdependent framework, and how putting pressure on one species, over another, will cause severe problems down the road.

I wish you the best of luck in your future studies, and hope you continue to maintain the level of enthusiasm you have shown here.
:thumbsup:
I thank you for taking the time to educate and raise awareness.

And on this day., Fathers' Day, I imagine your Dad, if he is alive, is pretty damn proud of what his Son has accomplished so far....:clapping: :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work, and as others have said, best of luck with everything. :HappyWave:

I just saw/read this now (sorry I missed it) but thank you very much!!!! The science we do today is very interesting and is getting more advanced every day! We actually just came back from the Hudson doing 1 straight week (24/7) of field work with something called a DIDSON which is an ultrasound for the water (almost like side-scan sonar)... We see a lot of stripers! So much cool stuff I wish I could show you guys everything!!!

Thanks again for the kind words!!!

DarkSkies
10-03-2012, 08:21 PM
^^ Dogfish, you're welcome.
I meant those things most sincerely.

The way things are now with fisheries management..many fishermen are content to let others do the work. They hesitate to get involved unless they feel it affects them directly.

and...even though many are apathetic......Some want to get involved, or learn more, but just don't know who to contact or how to learn more about an issue.....

So, IMO threads like yours can provide a spark to generate some more interest in these topics.....

As you continue in your career, you will learn more and become more sophisticated...
But right now,,,at this moment...IMO you are reaching a good number of folks on this and other sites...due to your enthusiasm.....I wish for you, that you never lose sight of that enthusiasm....because over time you will see it draw folks to the subjects you are talking about and promoting......

Best wishes and good luck.
Keep up the good work. Remember that what you are doing is vitally important for our future of fishing and the natural resources ( the fish) we all share. :thumbsup: :HappyWave: