PDA

View Full Version : Lightning

Monty
07-08-2012, 02:22 AM
It's the time of year when there is a lot of it around. Just fished for 30 minutes and saw it to the north (bolt), and could hear it start to rumble. For a while was way east no rumble, so was ok. Are you conservative and not fish at all when there is a threat of lightning? Last year was not bad with lightning when I fished, year before had a bunch of nights cut short (had a bunch of long hustling trps to the jeep). So now when there is a threat of lightning I now fish closer to the vehicle, can wait it out. Best to be safe.

DarkSkies
07-08-2012, 09:20 AM
I think we're in for a lot of that pattern this summer if the weather remains like this, Monty.

I call it heat lightning, and it can come up on you quickly, with or without the rain.
Someone else might have better scientific knowledge, if you do, feel free to post.

Can be a bit dangerous if you're out on a beach that takes a while to walk back from. :scared:

vpass
07-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I seen Lightning in Florida without any clouds. Also lightnig could strike 10 miles from the source.

In my field of work I seen the damage that lighting could do and it doesn't have to be a direct hit. I stay away from area's that have long walks when there is a high chance of lighting storms.

I also use the smartphone and look at the radar to see coming storms. It has saved me a few times from getting caught in some of the dangerous storm. Remember you are most likely the highest point of the beach with your surf rod in hand.

storminsteve
07-08-2012, 10:47 AM
In my field of work I seen the damage that lighting could do and it doesn't have to be a direct hit. I stay away from area's that have long walks when there is a high chance of lighting storms.

Smart advice, and who wants to be a lightning rod? thanks

finchaser
07-08-2012, 08:09 PM
So true look what it's done to Dark :ROFLMAO

storminsteve
07-09-2012, 03:06 PM
^^ :clapping::clapping: Maybe it would chill him out a bit. Ever meet him in person? One intense dude over the phone :scared:- "go here, fish there, stop there, and make sure you fish the cut at *** beach, about 300 feet down, where it leads to a good rip, also don't forget the soft structure at ***."
God he is like a drill sergeant!

On a serious note, be careful out there fellas. Woman died in Monmouth Beach Saturday night walking on the sea wall. Sad.

MONMOUTH BEACH (http://www.nj.com/monmouth-beach)— An unidentified woman from New York City was rushed to the hospital after she was struck by lightning Saturday evening, reports APP.com (http://www.app.com/article/20120707/NJNEWS/307070056/New-York-woman-struck-by-lightning-Monmouth-Beach?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage).
The 48-year-old woman was on top of the sea wall in the north end of the borough, near Sunset Lane, when she was struck and sustained life-threatening injures, Lt. Dennis Cahill said in the report.
She was transported to Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, said Cahill. The woman's name was not released pending notification of her family, according to the report.
The incident took place as a line of powerful storms rolled through New Jersey and knocked out power for thousands of customers (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/20k_nj_residents_still_without.html) in central and southern regions of the state.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/48-year-old_ny_woman_suffers_l.html

buckethead
07-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Wow, I was out there saturday afternoon. Saw the flashes but it was a little bit off from where I was. Sad to think that life can end in an instant, whether you are planning it or not. Be careful out there guys. thanks for posting Monty.

hookedonbass
07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Thats right you never know. Better safe than sorry.

fishinmission78
07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Read that, what a freak accident. Walking on the sea wall. What is that like a raised dike or something?
If I see flashes in the sky I get in the truck and leave, or wait if out if they are not that close. No fish is worth dying over.

bababooey
07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Freak accident. Who would have thunk walking on that wall could be the death of you. Fishinmission it is a raised wall that protects the multi million dollar homes in Monmouth Beach.
Some stuff I found on the net about heat lightning:
"A common misconception is that a warm spring or summer night is the direct cause for “heat lightning”. Morning Meteorologist Aaron Brackett am here to dispel that theory…Heat lightning does in fact often accompany a warm night, but it is not directly caused by the heat itself. As our atmosphere cools after sunset, sometimes warmer air settles over cooler air near the surface, this is called an inversion. Inversions have interesting properties. They literally bend radar waves as well as light waves. With this in mind, summer storms can be over 100 miles away and still produce lightning that we can see. So the next time you look up to see flashes of lightning with a star filled sky, remember that its an optical illusion allowing lightning from afar to be observed at your location.
-Aaron"

dogfish
07-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Ya don't want to be the high point in any storm. Be careful out there.

voyager35
06-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Fishermen more likely than golfers to die from lightning - some good info, folks.

http://weather.aol.com/2013/06/24/study-more-lightning-deaths-from-fishing-than-golf/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl15|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D335143

http://www.blogcdn.com/weather.aol.com/media/2013/06/fatalities-age-300.jpgAccording to Jensenius, water-related deaths may be more common because participants require more time to find shelter in a storm. "People often wait far too long to head to safety when a storm is approaching, and that puts them in a dangerous and potentially deadly situation," he said.

During the seven-year study, 82 percent of those killed by lightning were male and most victims were between the ages of 10 and 60. About 70 percent of the deaths occurred during June, July and August.

So far this year (http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/fatalities.htm), seven people have been killed by lightning. Three of them were killed while fishing and a fourth was walking on the beach.

RELATED ON SKYE: 11 Surprising Effects of Being Struck by Lightning (http://weather.aol.com/2012/08/01/11-surprising-effects-of-being-struck-by-lightning/)
http://www.blogcdn.com/weather.aol.com/media/2013/06/struck-by-lightning-frame-1372101681.jpg (http://weather.aol.com/2012/08/01/11-surprising-effects-of-being-struck-by-lightning/)See more photos from SKYE

Fishman
06-25-2013, 09:27 PM
You have to pay attention when out there fishing. If you see those storms coming you better start packing up your gear and heading to the car. Last year I was stuck on the beach when a storm rolled in mightly fast. The lightening started while I was making my way back. I ended up leaving my pole on the beach and moving about 200 yards away then laying down flat. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

J Barbosa
06-26-2013, 06:07 AM
You have to pay attention when out there fishing. If you see those storms coming you better start packing up your gear and heading to the car. Last year I was stuck on the beach when a storm rolled in mightly fast. The lightening started while I was making my way back. I ended up leaving my pole on the beach and moving about 200 yards away then laying down flat. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

I won't make the drive down any more if they are calling for a high chance of thunder storms. The ten day forecast has a chance of thunderstorms for the next ten days.

bababooey
07-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Be careful out there gents. This happened today. The guy is lucky to be alive.

From NBCPHILADELPHIA

A fisherman was hit by lightning this afternoon at Island Beach State Park along the Jersey Shore.

He was in the process of leaving the beach around 1:15 p.m. when lightning hit his fishing rod, according to New Jersey State Police.
"It happened to be the only thunderstorm in the entire region at the time and it became a thunderstorm very quickly, so there may not have been any lightning until the very last minute," said NBC10 Chief Meteorologist Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz.

The victim, a 48-year-old man from Berkeley Township, Ocean County, N.J., is alive and was conscious when emergency crews took him to the hospital.

He complained of tingling and numbness in his legs, according to police.
At the time of the strike, no lifeguards were in that area of the park, which sits between Barnegat Lighthouse State Park and Seaside Park. A park employee was clearing the beach when the storm rolled in.

The victim is being treated at Jersey Shore University Medical Center.

So far this year, nine people have died from lightning strikes across the country, according to the National Weather Service (http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/fatalities.htm).

Three of the fatalities were men who were fishing when they were struck.

July is the deadliest month for lightning strikes, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

On the safety side, the NWS warns there is no place outside that is considered safe during a thunderstorm. Their motto is, "When Thunder Roars Go Indoors!"

Once you are inside, stay off of corded phones, computers and electrical equipment that could put you in direct contact with electricity. Stay away from water, windows, doors and porches as well as concrete surfaces. You should stay inside of a safe shelter for at least 30 minutes after you hear the last sound of thunder.

If you get caught outside during a thunderstorm and there is no way for you to get to a safe place, you may be able to reduce your risk by getting out of or away from any bodies of water and getting down from elevated areas like hills or peaks.

The NWS also warn people to never never take shelter under an isolated tree or lie flat on the ground during a thunderstorm.

Pebbles
07-09-2013, 09:10 PM
I thought is you were out with no where to go like the beach you could lay flat on the ground, wonder why you can't?

dogfish
07-11-2013, 12:12 AM
I think it depends on the topography of the land. If it is hilly like some of the northern beaches you may be ok because there is a higher point where it could discharge. I am not familiar with the joisey beaches but have heard they are flat. If so you would be the highest point of contact even laying flat on the ground unless there was a jetty or inlet nearby. Don't quote me I am not an expert. I did stay at a holiday inn last night.;)

surferman
07-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Be careful out there gents. This happened today. The guy is lucky to be alive.

From NBCPHILADELPHIA

A fisherman was hit by lightning this afternoon at Island Beach State Park along the Jersey Shore.

He was in the process of leaving the beach around 1:15 p.m. when lightning hit his fishing rod, according to New Jersey State Police.
"It happened to be the only thunderstorm in the entire region at the time and it became a thunderstorm very quickly, so there may not have been any lightning until the very last minute," said NBC10 Chief Meteorologist Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz.

The victim, a 48-year-old man from Berkeley Township, Ocean County, N.J., is alive and was conscious when emergency crews took him to the hospital.

He complained of tingling and numbness in his legs, according to police.
At the time of the strike, no lifeguards were in that area of the park, which sits between Barnegat Lighthouse State Park and Seaside Park. A park employee was clearing the beach when the storm rolled in.

The victim is being treated at Jersey Shore University Medical Center.

So far this year, nine people have died from lightning strikes across the country, according to the National Weather Service (http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/fatalities.htm).

Three of the fatalities were men who were fishing when they were struck.

July is the deadliest month for lightning strikes, according to the National Weather Service (NWS).

On the safety side, the NWS warns there is no place outside that is considered safe during a thunderstorm. Their motto is, "When Thunder Roars Go Indoors!"

Once you are inside, stay off of corded phones, computers and electrical equipment that could put you in direct contact with electricity. Stay away from water, windows, doors and porches as well as concrete surfaces. You should stay inside of a safe shelter for at least 30 minutes after you hear the last sound of thunder.

If you get caught outside during a thunderstorm and there is no way for you to get to a safe place, you may be able to reduce your risk by getting out of or away from any bodies of water and getting down from elevated areas like hills or peaks.

The NWS also warn people to never never take shelter under an isolated tree or lie flat on the ground during a thunderstorm.

x 2 be careful out there fellas.