PDA

View Full Version : How come no bass on clams at island beach this year?

porgy75
07-12-2012, 06:30 PM
I have not been fishing a long time but do remember that for the last 5 years we would go down to island beach around this time. You would get 2 dozen clams, and set up in late afternoon. There was always a bite with the small bass. What happened this year, And last year too? There was not any action down there until late october. Any thoughts?

storminsteve
07-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Porgy I remember that too, similar time frame. It was a mid to late summer thing. When you couldn't catch bass anywhere else you could always go there and pick up a few on clams. The bait that runs past in the surf there used to be incredible. From what I hear the bait is still there, but not too many resident fish. I didn't even bother getting a pass for there this year. I'll wait till the fall till things heat up. Come to think of it sandy hook hasn't been that great either. I guess the water temperatures are way highter this year than previous yeas. Or maybe as everyone says there really are less bass around.

voyager35
07-12-2012, 08:57 PM
There are less bass around. This year our success on the bunker pods was ok, but about half the numbers we usually catch. The fish were not there in real numbers. We even went all the way to the Rockaways a few times to get some action, but it's waning over there as well. I really think the temps being too high have pushed the bass out and east much earlier than usual. Storminsteve don't know exactly where you are fishing but for the ocean and monmouth county area the resident bass left several years ago. I am referring to the ocean area between island beach to monmouth beach. The summers have been dead for us. That is strictly from the boat.