PDA

View Full Version : Rutgers Ocean Otter Trawl Survey

dogfish246
07-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Hey Guys,

So as part of a long term otter trawl survey we pulled out in the ocean this week and I know some of you will be interested in what is happening out there right now...

Read the video description for more info!!!!

ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_VCrE33hBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_VCrE33hBo

ledhead36
07-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Wow. Eye opening. Lots of life on the sea floor off of Atlantic City. thanks for sharing that. When did you take this video?

captnemo
07-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Fascinating dogfish. I saw lots of spot in the one trawl along with the butterfish. At what depth would you say you had the best numbers of spot, how far offshore were you?

clamchucker
07-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Good job there.

DarkSkies
07-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Nice work.
Dogfish, I bet you feel like the luckiest guy in the world, going out there and doing something you love. You have chosen a great path. I hope to continue to see new and exciting reports from you. Thanks for all. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

jigfreak
07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Keep up the good work.

hookset
07-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Nice going dude. Like dark said you must feel real fortunate to get out there and do that. No office cubicle. No shirt and tie. No wingtip shoes or dry cleaning bills. Thanks for posting.

cowherder
07-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Nice job dogfish! That was a big fluke. Even to see the squid was awesome. I didn't know they stayed around all summer.

ledhead36
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Also wanted to ask you about the squid if you know if they come in the inlets or not.

dogfish246
07-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow. Eye opening. Lots of life on the sea floor off of Atlantic City. thanks for sharing that. When did you take this video?

Yea there are a lot of fish and a lot of food!!! We caught 25-100 small crabs almost every tow! These tows were only 120sec long and used our small bay otter-trawl so we can be consistent with our Barnegat Bay research! We went out last Friday...

dogfish246
07-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Fascinating dogfish. I saw lots of spot in the one trawl along with the butterfish. At what depth would you say you had the best numbers of spot, how far offshore were you?

The spot were less than a mile offshore in about 20-30ft of water (along the bottom)... Some tows were 5 miles offshore but typically we catch more as we move inshore. We use a small otter trawl with a lot of gear bias so we typically only catch smaller organisms!!!

dogfish246
07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Good job there.

Nice work.
Dogfish, I bet you feel like the luckiest guy in the world, going out there and doing something you love. You have chosen a great path. I hope to continue to see new and exciting reports from you. Thanks for all. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Keep up the good work.

Nice going dude. Like dark said you must feel real fortunate to get out there and do that. No office cubicle. No shirt and tie. No wingtip shoes or dry cleaning bills. Thanks for posting.

Thanks a lot guys!!! As an avid fisherman myself, everyone told me to go to school for what makes me happy and Marine Biology is just that!!! Its great!!!

dogfish246
07-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Also wanted to ask you about the squid if you know if they come in the inlets or not.

Nice job dogfish! That was a big fluke. Even to see the squid was awesome. I didn't know they stayed around all summer.

Yea, we also caught "mop" which is squid eggs and you could see the baby squid swimming in the egg case!!! Really neat! We had a few squid caught in the bay which is really rare!!! So they do come in but not often...

buckethead
07-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Nice going, thanks dude.