PDA

View Full Version : Snapper reports

baitstealer
08-13-2009, 10:37 PM
I see a lot of snappers and peanut bunkers in the back bays now. I got a cast net and have been practicing. I would like to use some of these peanuts or snappers to try for bigger fish. Does anyone have any advice how to best fish these so they stay alive?

stripercrazy
08-14-2009, 08:11 AM
It's easier to keep snappers alive than peanuts baitstealer. Make sure they are in an aerated bucket with enough water in it, a 5 gallon bucket can handlle no more than a dozen snappers if you aerate it really well. Peanuts you can pack more in there, but they always seem to die on me with the portable aeration. When you are hooking them, be careful to use the smallest hook you can, that will still pull in the bigger fish. I like to put the hook around the mddle of the back, avoiding the spine in the process, more natural swim this way. When drifting on a boat, you bounce them on or near the bottom. From the surf you can make a bridle rig, throw the weight out first to the bottom of the hole or inlet at slack tide, and then send the snapper down on the bridle rig. Very effective, if fish are there you will know it within a munite or so. Check your bait every 5 minutes or so, a lively bait will get you more hits unless you are drifting, and then it matters less.

ledhead36
07-20-2012, 08:07 AM
All over now guys. Mike asked n I figgered we could let others know. Great fun for the families. Dark if you think it's being too specific please delete.

Anybody getting any snappers yet in the back waters?

Mike, I have seen them so far in Perth Amboy, Keyport Harbor, Port Monmouth marina jetty, Keansburg pier, and the river at Sandy Hook. Have not fished further south yet this season so I don't know about the ocean side.
Good luck. Snapper poppers are great and you will get a mess of them. Don't throw your gulp away that the bigger bluefish have been chomping on. I have been using the bits and pieces on the snapper poppers or sabiki rigs and catching snappers for fluke bait.

captnemo
07-20-2012, 08:40 AM
They are also in the Atlantic Highlands Municipal Harbor. Have seen them by the slips and attacking the small peanut bunkers at first light. You could probably get some if you went there at night or 8pm with snapper poppers when the boat activity calms down. Go to the end of the dock by the restaurant.

clamchucker
07-20-2012, 09:19 AM
You can find them at 14 ave dock in seaside or any deepwater buklhead in late afternoons. I have been picking a few up at the barnegat inlet before I switch to fluke. They were there in pretty good numbers before the storm started.

DarkSkies
07-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Perfectly fine, post what ya's want here.

Dads and kids fishing can be some of the best memories in a child's life. Won't be too much longer till the back bays are drawing in some bigger fish with all the bait. Thanks Ledhead. :HappyWave:

hookset
07-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Any bulkhead in barnegat bay, high tide.

cowherder
07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
You can also get them in Highlands. There are a few small beaches parks and docks there. Fish off of any one of them and you will get some. Like someone else said they are all over sandy hook too, and I think the kingfish are in. Last timfishing I was getting a lot of little bumps, Next time I am going to try to remember to bring some smaller hooks and fishbites or gulp pieces.

ledhead36
07-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Been getting some nice ones in keyport harbor.

jigfreak
07-31-2014, 09:38 AM
They are all over the surf right now. From island beach all the way up to sandy hook. Careful with the gulp tails gents.

porgy75
07-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Hey guys just wondering if any of you have seen them yet, thanks!

porgy75
07-19-2015, 11:37 AM
It's easier to keep snappers alive than peanuts baitstealer. Make sure they are in an aerated bucket with enough water in it, a 5 gallon bucket can handlle no more than a dozen snappers if you aerate it really well. Peanuts you can pack more in there, but they always seem to die on me with the portable aeration. When you are hooking them, be careful to use the smallest hook you can, that will still pull in the bigger fish. I like to put the hook around the mddle of the back, avoiding the spine in the process, more natural swim this way. When drifting on a boat, you bounce them on or near the bottom. From the surf you can make a bridle rig, throw the weight out first to the bottom of the hole or inlet at slack tide, and then send the snapper down on the bridle rig. Very effective, if fish are there you will know it within a munite or so. Check your bait every 5 minutes or so, a lively bait will get you more hits unless you are drifting, and then it matters less.

Awesome advice thank you. Does anyone think sharks will hit these or am I better off with a bloody fish head or half of a bunker or something like that.

basshunter
07-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Heard of some snappers in the back of shark river

voyager35
07-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Saw some folks pulling them up on Sunday. Keyport muni fishing pier. They were around 4".

storminsteve
09-10-2015, 04:06 PM
With all these snappers it should be a bluefish bonanza for the next 5 years. I would buy stock in Berkley they make gulp.

captnemo
08-27-2017, 12:49 PM
They are all over. They had a kids derby in Keyport over the weekend. Saw a lot caught by the kids. 4-10" range.