PDA

View Full Version : NJ Fishing Reports for August 2012..www.StripersAndAnglers.com

DarkSkies
08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
NJ fishing reports for August 2012. ..www.StripersandAnglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)

NJ fishing reports for August 2012...www.stripersandanglers.com (http://www.stripersandanglers.com/)
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
Out Front (Ocean) OR -- Out Back (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Buckethead,
you won the plug in the July 2012 random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:
PM me your address so I can send it out to ya!

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits, or something similar.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

DarkSkies
08-02-2012, 10:03 PM
August doldrums......

For most anglers out there. the bass just aren't around in numbers this summer. Part of that is the hotter water temps which has pushed them out of the surfline, to places north, and to areas (channels, some inlets, etc) where the water is cooler or deeper....

To most who try, they will not see bass...there are a few here and there, providing you realize that bass are low light feeders unless provoked to a frenzy by unusual blitz baitfish conditions.....

And where there is a lot of bait, you will find bass on the edges, feeding in the low light.....

That feed could be in the middle of the night,...
Or when the water temps from a tide change bring water that is 5 degrees or more cooler.....
Or the feed could be at first light in a back bay area....

The back bays in some areas are too "hot" for large populations of bass right now....but...there are some back bay areas that are holding some good numbers because of the unusually abundant forage....

That forage, being spot/lafayette, peanut bunker, spearing, sand eels, rainfish, croakers, small kingfish, sea bass, baby blackfish, mantis shrimp. grass shimp. and small crabs....is in some areas at the highest concentrations it has been in years....

If the temps don't push us into massive fish kills, we could have a great fall.
the weeks of August are sometimes known as the Summer doldrums because a lot of the fishing declines with the temperatures....

But the fish are still feeding, fluke, small bluefish, tropicals (triggerfish, sheepshead. etc) rays, sharks, and some inshore pelagics, are all coming to the buffet table and feeding.

Guys who are fluking are saying the keeper ratio is higher than it has been in years, even from the surf....

Many folks slow down their fishing activity in August, instead waiting for the end of September for the "Fall Run"....

If you keep good logs you know the increase in activity begins much earlier than that...
And if you are willing to move around, and put the effort in, you can find fish of some type, all summer......

Good luck out there everyone....:fishing:
and please be safe.....:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
08-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Last night I only had 4 hours to fish.
Conditions were beautiful, surfcasters' dream....the water cleared up nicely from the storms....and it seemed the NE pattern dropped it a degree or 2, at least where I was.....The swell, duration, and sets of waves were beautiful...full moon obscured by clouds....:drool:

Made a few ocean stops with no results....
Fished half of the ebb and part of the flood.
The moon tides make fishing the last of the ebb in the ocean or bay challenging at times because you "run out" of water. It forces you to limit your search to an area that may have some deeper water, or wade out over the bar in search of fish in some areas.

In my experience, and for the areas I like to fish.....generally speaking....
I find that during these times, the end of the ebb isn't that great, as the moon tides can be extreme.

It can be a better strategy to fish the higher water.....unless you are looking for areas where the predators like to ambush the bait at the lowest tides......
Last night I didn't mark any real concentrations of bait at all.... where I fished.

Anyway, I managed 2 small bass when I finally found a few fish, 1/2 hour feeding window right before the tide change.
Both on small bucktail and white grub.....

They wouldn't hit anything else, not rubber, not even my best-producing plugs...
They did hit the bucktail aggressively, though, :headbang: :bigeyes: much more than the half-charged hits I had been getting on previous trips.
Even though the fish were small, I had a blast catching them.
I feel the slight drop in water temp may have had something to do with that.

The wind was a stable SW through the first part. After the tide changed the S wind kicked up, and fishing for me sucked after that.....
Hey.... that's fishin. :fishing:

finchaser
08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
This AM released 1 bass and 1 blue water way too warm we need a cold front

storminsteve
08-03-2012, 11:03 AM
That forage, being spot/lafayette, peanut bunker, spearing, sand eels, rainfish, croakers, small kingfish, sea bass, baby blackfish, mantis shrimp. grass shimp. and small crabs....is in some areas at the highest concentrations it has been in years....

If the temps don't push us into massive fish kills, we could have a great fall.

Agree 100% Dark, raritan bay is loaded with bait. Not too much on them other than small snappers.
I agree with finchaser all these sunny days don't help us. We need about a week of rain and fog. Drop the water temperature and the fish should move in and chow down.
congrats on your catches guys at lease you are still catching blues and striped bass, I will try some of the nomoco beaches this weekend. Can't wait till they open north beach.

DarkSkies
08-04-2012, 09:53 AM
. Drop the water temperature and the fish should move in and chow down.
congrats on your catches guys at lease you are still catching blues and striped bass, I will try some of the nomoco beaches this weekend. Can't wait till they open north beach.

Steve, it seems the water temps in the ocean have dropped a bit, at least for the night tides. I have to remember to bring that thermometer the OGB gave me to get an accurate reading. I keep worrying that I'll break it as I'm pretty active when I'm fishing. One of these days I'll bring it.

Swell info has the ocean temps in that area at 75 degrees this morning.

I can't believe that's accurate for some of the areas I'm fishing at night. Last night the water was cool and clean. It's some of the cleanest water I've seen in a week or so. I would estimate the water where I was to be closer to 70. You know I like to poke my hands everywhere...:d

DarkSkies
08-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Fishing report....Fri night....
Fished last night, only had 3 hours of fishing time.
Fished half of the ebb. Cooler, clean water, fantastic clarity.
Conditions out there were a surfcasters' dream...:drool:

As my time was limited I thought I would start where I got fish the night before.
Struck out, dead water.

2nd stop had an almost legal sized bass on the 2nd cast.
I was drooling in anticipation, thinking I could pull some numbers.

Classic Googan Mentality..:bucktooth:. :ROFLMAO
logic should have told me it's a "1 and 2 bass" kind of thing this summer, lately...where if you get one or 2, it's done for that location, time to move on. The fish for me, have been scattered, and usually only available at 1/3 of the locations I stop at.
It was not to be, only that one fish. 15 minutes later I gave up and moved on to the 3rd location.

When I got there, I was not optimistic. I couldn't mark any bait. Those of you who have had discussions with me on the phone know how obsessive I am about bait and forage.

It's not that important that people are catching in a certain area. I want to know why the fish are there. :learn:

Last night I figured out the "why" but it took me awhile.
Ended up with 2 more bass, again another just shy of legal size. I loosened my drag after the bigger fish left in June, to make it more sporting to catch these small schoolies. The 2 larger bass pulled drag, it was an awesome feeling.

What I know about me, is I need that...it's not so much the catching, but something to pull drag.
When the bigger bluefish come back into the bays and rivers around the 3rd week of this month, I'll probably limit my fishing for these baby bass and concentrate on bluefish, and albies when I can get down there in the daytime.

All fish released quickly, caught on bucktail and white grub.
And they hit it like it was going to be their last meal.
The interesting thing is they would not touch a plug,, for me.
2nd night in a row I had it happen this way. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

I did notice this batch of fish seemed a little skinnier than they were a week ago.
You really never know what you will run into when you fish the ocean at night...that's part of the excitement for me. :fishing:

seamonkey
08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Hey great reports guys. Glad to see you are still catching bass. I fished a Cape May beach last night, last hour of the incomeing tide. Got 5 kingfish on fishbites bloodworms pieces double rig. Also caught some spot threw them back because I couldn't fish later on.

cowherder
08-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Fantastic catching! I think any bass in the summer are great no matter what the size. It sounds like you had a fantastic time dark and seamonkey I'll bet those kingfish are tasty.
I fished ocean county from 4-6am today. There were reports of bluefish and the cow nosed rays. I heard there were schools of them and wanted a look see. Well, I didn't see any. I did get 2 small tailor blues around sunrise on a light 1 oz ava. Beautiful sunrise.

Monty
08-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Fished this morning 1:00 to 8:00 ocean side.
Worked about a mile of beach, around 1:30 I hooked into whats in the first pic (lightning reflexes).
Few minutes later caught the Fluke in next pic (cool how close it matches sand/pebble bottom in that area). Then had some bumps and misses the rest of the outing but could only manage another Fluke and a couple snappers (all on the teaser). Snappers were harassing bait fish that were no bigger than an inch. Water was a bit stained. Was a real good time, weather was great, water nice, great to be on the water.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_4_Catch1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_4_Fluke.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_4_SR.jpg

storminsteve
08-04-2012, 06:21 PM
:clapping: Monty you found my surf shoe! Did you find the other one I'll give you a reward for it, lol.
Looks like you brought in everything but the kitchen sink. I fished nomoco for the surnrise incoming tide, It was pretty strong and a little clouded. In the morning I could see those small blues ravishing the bait. I couldnt catch one though. Too small and I didn't think of a teaser. Love that fluke on the teaser and the awesome sunrise pic.
I also saw some dolphins jumping out of the water. At least it looked like dolphins or small types of whales it was too far away to see clearly. Awesome, but only 2 short fluke on gulp for me.

ledhead36
08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Nice going guys the shores of the back of the bay and the river are dead for bigger fish. Tons of those little snappers. If you go to Keyport harbor or AH harbor you can get your limit with the kids with snapper poppers. The peanut bunker are getting bigger. There is so much bait back there I wouldn't be surprised if albacore come in to the inlets and harbors after it.

DarkSkies
08-05-2012, 09:52 AM
:clapping: Monty you found my surf shoe! Did you find the other one I'll give you a reward for it, lol.
Looks like you brought in everything but the kitchen sink. .
I also saw some dolphins jumping out of the water. At least it looked like dolphins or small types of whales it was too far away to see clearly. Awesome, but only 2 short fluke on gulp for me.

Steve, I saw them too. Briefly, then they disappeared. They were only about 75 yards out, I'm sure they were dolphins.
Funny stuff about Monty catching everything but the kitchen sink. If there is an award in the future, I think I would get that shoe bronzed, attach it to a tree branch, and make it into a trophy..:laugh: :HappyWave:
He does take some great pics, though....:cool: those sunrise shots are great motivators to just get out there and enjoy it...there won't be too many fishable mornings like that in January....:fishing:

captnemo
08-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I need that...[/B]it's not so much the catching, but something to pull drag.
:fishing:

Two words - tuna fishing :HappyWave:

buckethead
08-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Great report and pics monty. I was wading last year near some rocks and lost one korker. If you drag that up maybe dark can add that to the branch and give you a shoe tree trophy. :lookhappy: Just kidding, enjoyed the report as always.

This morning -SRI area, small blues, and then about 1/2 hour after sunriise some thinner longer species pushing bait. Frigate mackerel and spanish mackerel. They were pretty close, maybe 75' Was throwing small deadly ***** but could not get a touch. Bringing even smaller metal next time.

jigfreak
08-05-2012, 10:26 AM
This AM released 1 bass and 1 blue water way too warm we need a cold front

Ask and you shall recieve from the NWS forecast
"An advancing cold front will provide the focus for severe thunderstorms Sunday afternoon and evening as it crosses the Northeast "
Good news aout the small speedsters buckethead, thanks.
Love the shoe tree idea, but you should ask Monty if he wants to branch out first. Is it King of the googans or king of the shoe trees. Decision time.:HappyWave:

finchaser
08-07-2012, 02:35 PM
today got a call and went from 11 am to 1 Pm released 3 bass and 19 blues blues were 4 to 7 pounds spitting up 8 to 10 in corn cob mullet what a season

Monty
08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
today got a call and went from 11 am to 1 Pm released 3 bass and 19 blues blues were 4 to 7 pounds spitting up 8 to 10 in corn cob mullet what a season

Nice :fishing: Finchaser!! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
08-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Is it King of the googans or king of the shoe trees. Decision time.:HappyWave:

My bet is on King of the Googans. When Monty screws up he does it in style. :laugh: :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Fin, outstanding results there....:clapping:your dedication pays off.
Not many have anything close to those numbers from land for the last 2 months....WTG.

My report - Sun - skunk report

Fished after the storm to keep it honest.
Scattered showers, the remnants from a NE pattern, cooler water, looking for fish.
Nothing at all for me, although I tried for a few hours.
I think the ocean water has cooled down a bit and we could see some interesting things....:fishing:

Monty
08-07-2012, 10:48 PM
My bet is on King of the Googans. When Monty screws up he does it in style. :laugh: :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

:thumbsup: :HappyWave: :wheeeee:

Mike O
08-08-2012, 09:25 AM
My son and I were into some snapper action in the bay area. They were all over the place, but we only managed to get 3! Maybe you guys can share some of your more successful techniques. I'm not sure what they were feeding on, but it was very frustrating to see them busting the surface and yet for the most part our offerings yielded only a few. Just so you know they were in the 6 to 8" range. Thanks in advance.

finchaser
08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
This morning released 4 bass and 2 bluefish between 5 and 7 AM all on jig head and rubber tail

DarkSkies
08-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Tue night....Skunk report...:skunk:
Stopped in the back bay to do some scouting based on the reports of larger mullet.
Found a few mullet but not what I was looking for. I found thousands of spearing and only a small handful of predators, probably small bluefish or weakfish. Nothing for me. When the larger predators find these bodies of bait and the bays and rivers cool down a bit things could get pretty interesting.

Then made a few stops in the ocean. The ocean water, although dropping in temp a degree or 2, was still murky.
I felt that may have had something to do with lack of action. Also did not mark much bait.
Fished all levels of the water column, dropping tide.
Not a tap.

Wed PM report -
The ocean is starting to clear up a bit. There was more bait around. Managed one Hail Mary fish :d on a bucktail, dropping tide. Short bass, released.

hookset
08-09-2012, 06:08 PM
My son and I were into some snapper action in the bay area. They were all over the place, but we only managed to get 3! Maybe you guys can share some of your more successful techniques. I'm not sure what they were feeding on, but it was very frustrating to see them busting the surface and yet for the most part our offerings yielded only a few. Just so you know they were in the 6 to 8" range. Thanks in advance.

Mike what were you using? Small snapper poppers are good but you can also tip them with spearing, seems to work better.
Picked up 4 albies to 6# today. Small oo7 when they came within range.

Monty
08-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Picked up 4 albies to 6# today. Small oo7 when they came within range.
That's great!!, Nice Hookset.

Mike O
08-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I first tried a small kastmaster, no luck. I switched to a snapper rig w/popper. The small hook on the rig had a very small srg. tube on it, by itself was not producing. I then started putting very small slivers of squid on. That seem to produce a little action especially when I just let the styrofoam popper just float. I still was not getting the results I was expecting. There seemed to be plenty of fish, but I guess they were more interested in whatever it was they were feeding on. We did manage to get 3 and they made a nice little appetizer before dinner the next night. They sure are tasty unlike the adults.

finchaser
08-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Today 5 to 7 AM released 3 bass and 16 blues to 12 pounds

fishinmission78
08-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Fished Island beach this morning, inlet . The S wind was bad but the fluke were hungry. Got 2 keepers on gulp 19 and 22".
Finchaser you are slaying the bass and big blues, kudos.

clamchucker
08-11-2012, 12:55 PM
I have been catching up to 10-15 kingfish at a time at island beach in the mornings before the bugs get active. You can get them with fishbites little pieces or if you want to be cheap put some clam strips on a high low rig with small hooks. Great fun with the grandkids.

finchaser
08-11-2012, 05:21 PM
First Skunk:skunk::clapping: this morning in over 2 weeks pi_s warm dirty water completely void of life.

Good for you clamchucker sounds like fun I wish I could do that with my grand kids but they moved to Arizona

Monty
08-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Fished this morning 1:00-1:15 ocean side and 2:15-8:30 bayside. Oceanside was over crowded so I went bayside. Could only manage one fluke on a sand eel plug around 3:00 AM. Had a few bumps in the dark, nothing after the sun came up. Water was cloudy. Real nice weather, great being out there.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_12_clouds.jpg

DarkSkies
08-12-2012, 04:16 PM
First Skunk:skunk::clapping: this morning in over 2 weeks pi_s warm dirty water completely void of life.

It's possible the fish heard I was thinking of coming down, and left the area temporarily....:laugh:
:HappyWave:I don't know who's more likely to shut the bite when coming in to fish a previously productive area, me...or Killie
Sorry I missed ya, OGB. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon11.png

Fished this morning 1:00-1:15 ocean side and 2:15-8:30 bayside. Oceanside was over crowded so I went bayside. Could only manage one fluke on a sand eel plug around 3:00 AM. Had a few bumps in the dark, nothing after the sun came up. Water was cloudy.

I had a similar experience as you, Monty.
Wanted to fish the late night tides, but I screwed up and slept late. By the time I got down there it was high tide and about 1 1/2 hours before sunrise....Saw the ocean, little churned up and with the swells I decided to fish some back areas and do some thorough scouting. The bait is building up and it's only a matter of weeks before larger predators start to come in in greater numbers.
I watched thousands of spearing feeding in the top of that algae stained water. They periodically got harassed by small snappers.
Fished all levels of the water column, many profiles, not a tap for me. :skunk:

However, as you said, the bay was filthy....and as Fin mentioned pi** warm water close to 80 degrees will keep a lot of fish out other than the cooler tide changes. There is brown and green algae all over the place. It now seems to cover most of the bay.

Did some scouting on the way home, the peanuts and mullet are building up in the usual areas.

Way to Go Monty at least you didn't get skunked. :thumbsup: :fishing:
Great pic of the sky as well, thanks for sharing.

finchaser
08-12-2012, 06:14 PM
this AM the water was dirtier and warmer, passed the inlet and watched guys netting large 6 to 10 inch mullet with no fish under or near them. They were pushing water like bunker do. Took the skunk:skunk: again well I quit until the next cold front drops the water temp

storminsteve
08-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Took the skunk:skunk: again well I quit until the next cold front drops the water temp

Finchaser is QUITTING? Giving UP??????:scared:

Time to pack the gear up till the fall - it's OVER!
Dark are you still in the game or are you hanging up the bass pursuits and coming out in daylight hours to fish for fluke with the rest of us?

skinner
08-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Finchaser is QUITTING? Giving UP??????:scared:

Time to pack the gear up till the fall - it's OVER!

If only Belushi were here-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

skinner
08-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Its over Johnny -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZdY9rw-uo

basshunter
08-13-2012, 08:02 PM
You guys are hilarious. i didn't think anyone was catching many bass, haven't checked the reports in awhile. Congrats, finchaser its like you are the bass whisperer. Great reading guys, love the animal house reference.

cowherder
08-13-2012, 08:23 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: roflmao! :ROFLMAO

finchaser
08-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Funny as hell but I'll be back sooooooooooooooooooon when water temp drops and cleans up.

DarkSkies
08-15-2012, 08:29 AM
You guys are hilarious. i didn't think anyone was catching many bass, haven't checked the reports in awhile. Congrats, finchaser its like you are the bass whisperer. Great reading guys, love the animal house reference.

Basshunter, there are a few of us out there fishing regularly. A lot of guys don't want to share the info because they work hard for the fish they catch and don't want to pass it along too easily to internet fishermen. There are some of us putting in time and catching fish deep in the night or at the beginning and end of day. It ain't easy and most guys have given up. Why bother for only a few fish?

It's the chance to catch something other than normal, the chance to find that fish, that most think aren't there... that drives me, and I believe it drives some others as well.
Or maybe we are a bunch of sick nutcases who just can't stay away from the water whether fish are there or not. :kooky: :)
You have to realize Finchaser's results are exceptional and he will often catch fish when no one else on the beach is able to. :fishing: Like they say, YMMV.
I still say he's catching because he rubs the artificials on his crotch before every cast, but no one wants to believe me...:laugh: :HappyWave:

Mon PM report -
The ocean temps have inched slowly upward as Fin and others have mentioned. Based on this I was really debating whether I would get out there Monday night. As the tides were late I figured I might find some water that was a few degrees cooler.

I did, and feel the ocean is cleaning up just a bit.
Made a few stops, same spotty results as usual. I did find some feeding fish at one of the stops.

I had about 10 minutes of pretty good feeding activity.
My Googan tendencies got in the way of some good success, though. :bucktooth:
Dropped 4 fish on a MagDarter before I had the sense to take a look at it and see the front hook had become a little rusted from all the hard use and being put away wet night after night. :beatin: :o

When I finally realized my error I managed to land 2 short bass.
The level of activity was higher than it had been, that was the exciting part.
It was a level of slow activity, but activity in the heat of summer at those temps was still a blessing. :thumbsup:
Fishing gradually slowed after about an hour, and I knew it was over and time to get out of there and on the road to work.

For me, that's the saddest part of any fishing trip, realizing the bite is lessening and it's time to wrap things up..:(

finchaser
08-15-2012, 10:55 AM
This am released 2 bass and 16 blues water dropped degrees and cleared up a little with last 2 cooler nights

Monty
08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Dropped 4 fish on a MagDarter before I had the sense to take a look at it and see the front hook had become a little rusted from all the hard use and being put away wet night after night. :beatin: :o

When I finally realized my error I managed to land 2 short bass.
The level of activity was higher than it had been, that was the exciting part.
It was a level of slow activity, but activity in the heat of summer at those temps was still a blessing. (

This am released 2 bass and 16 blues water dropped degrees and cleared up a little with last 2 cooler nights

Great reports! Great to hear about the catching, :thumbsup:!

finchaser
08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
today 5:30 to 7:30 released 2 bass and 9 bluefish bass on plugs blues on rubber

DarkSkies
08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Fishing the Pattern Changes....
Spent a few hours fishing the ocean last night. Didn't find too much activity in the area I fished. I kind of anticipated a decent bite, because of the rain and a pattern change...
By that, I mean that I try to make it a point to get out there whenever there is a change in the weather, water temps, etc, anything that will break up the current pattern, if it is not a productive one.

We have been in a S/SW summer wind pattern with high ocean temps. Not a good thing to spur bass to feed at night.
Last night, after the storms, we shifted to a slight W/NW pattern, which IMO can sometimes spur the fish to feed.....

If they were feeding somewhere it wasn't where I was....:rolleyes:
Still, it was a beautiful night as I watched the remains of the lightning storms flow offshore, and the surf and conditions were ideal.

So I went out, looked for some activity, and failed (almost).
Managed one Hail Mary short bass on a MagDarter.

Part II -
Unhappy with the night's results, I extended the trip to the morning hours, trying to find some action before work.
My best idea was to mug Finchaser. :laugh: :HappyWave:

I got down there, and we drove to a place where there was a helicopter waiting for us. That old grouchy basstard really has some solid connections in the fishing and poilitical world...I think the helicopter was a Military Issue....:)

The helicopter transported us to a place where there were bluefish the size they have been getting offshore....
Feisty, aggressive blues......
I managed a few on bucktails and rubber....they were really energetic hitting what we threw, although even here, we had to work for them....the nice thing is it was 2 hours of pretty decent action.

Finchaser outfished the other guy and I.....by 2:1....I tell ya's that Grouchy Basstard has some skilz. :thumbsup:

The action died by 7:30, lots of fun and ball busting......:fishing:

storminsteve
08-16-2012, 09:03 PM
My best idea was to mug Finchaser. :laugh: :HappyWave:

I got down there, and we drove to a place where there was a helicopter waiting for us. That old grouchy basstard really has some solid connections in the fishing and poilitical world...I think the helicopter was a Military Issue....:)

The helicopter transported us to a place where there were bluefish the size they have been getting offshore....
Feisty, aggressive blues......
I managed a few on bucktails and rubber....they were really energetic hitting what we threw, although even here, we had to work for them....the nice thing is it was 2 hours of pretty decent action.

Finchaser outfished the other guy and I.....by 2:1....I tell ya's that Grouchy Basstard has some skilz. :thumbsup:

Helicopter? Dark you're cukkoo for cocoa puffs!:kooky: :laugh:
Great reports good to see someone getting decent fish.

cowherder
08-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Last night, after the storms, we shifted to a slight W/NW pattern, which IMO can sometimes spur the fish to feed.....

If they were feeding somewhere it wasn't where I was....:rolleyes:
Still, it was a beautiful night as I watched the remains of the lightning storms flow offshore, and the surf and conditions were ideal.

dark forget about the beautiful night. A guy died yesterday in the storms, did you know that? Be careful guys!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8550-East-Rutherford-Man-Struck-by-Lightning-in-Long-Branch-Dies

seamonkey
08-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Read that story, it was a bummer. Thoughts and prayers to his family and son. I fished ocean city area before high tide tonight. All the kingfish and spot you could want. I was using small strips of clam and gulp worm pieces on a high low rig. Also got 2 small weakfish and a few monster sea robins. An inshore smorgasbord.

jigfreak
08-17-2012, 04:06 AM
moco, 9-12 last night, 3 bass to 10#, SP. ds the helicopter stuff is nutzo, but creative.

finchaser
08-17-2012, 12:22 PM
moco, 9-12 last night, 3 bass to 10#, SP. ds the helicopter stuff is nutzo, but creative.

He's definitely not firing on all cylinders a helicopter.
Well anyway 5:30 to 7:30 AM water was extremely warm and dirty but managed to release 6 blues all on jig-head and DOA tails

DarkSkies
08-17-2012, 12:25 PM
dark forget about the beautiful night. A guy died yesterday in the storms, did you know that? Be careful guys!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8550-East-Rutherford-Man-Struck-by-Lightning-in-Long-Branch-Dies

I heard the news, cowherder. I wasn't out yesterday in the daylight, but when the woman got killed in Monmouth Beach Pebbles and I were about a mile away in Long Branch. She was yelling at me to run with her to the car, and I was gawking at the clouds. :kooky:
I think we could all be a bit more careful. You never know when you will be the target of lightning. Generally speaking, if you are outdoors and higher than the average surroundings you could be a conductor for that deadly jolt.

Thanks for the concern. At this point in my life, I try to stop fishing or get inside when lightning is close by.
Please folks, as Cowherder mentioned let's all try to be a bit more careful. There are (usually) no 2nd chances when hit by lightning....

Fishing Fri AM

Decided to mug the OGB again. :HappyWave:
The bigger bluefish action from yesterday got me hooked......and I needed some more......:drool:
When we started the water was warmer and there seemed to be less bait than yesterday. The abundant spearing were just not there and no fish seemed to be feeding.

The forage bringing in the fish in close had been spearing, peanuts, and mullet.... but with them conspicuously absent and the warmer water we didn't anticipate a good morning bite. We were right in our assumptions as the bite never really got off the ground. Each of us managed a handful of blues (smaller this time).

Plugs, rubber, and bucktails did the trick. It was the first time this season I got fish on a Rattle Trap. Time to start using them, people, :thumbsup:
The slow pick of action died about 1/2 hour sooner than it did yesterday.

Still, I had a great time catching these angry blues. :headbang: :viking:

They definitely aren't sluggish like some of the bass have been for me at night. They are aggressive and full of life, tail-walking and bending the rod. Lots of fun, and the OGB always has some great stories to tell. Good times. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
08-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Helicopter? Dark you're cukkoo for cocoa puffs!:kooky: :laugh:
Great reports good to see someone getting decent fish.

He's definitely not firing on all cylinders a helicopter.

Guys, while I appreciate your candid characterizations me, anyone who fishes with me and has had a chance to smell me, :upck:after a night of fishin....gets an idea that a sense of normalcy is not my ultimate goal in life.....:laugh:

The fact that Fin and some of ya's know that, and still put up with me, constantly amazes me. :rolleyes:

Just remember that the reports, numbers, weights, and times spent fishing is real....:fishing:
The other elements of one of my fishing reports might be embellishments, even the exxagerations as to how much I smell....:moon:
But these are all part of the Storyline, and Entertainment, that we at www.StripersAndAnglers.com (http://www.StripersAndAnglers.com) try to bring to you folks who for some reason are not able to get out there.....

I know this because of the countless e-mails....telling me how much you all appreciate the reports, especially the folks who live further away from the water...:HappyWave:

So I'm glad you are enjoying them and have a few laughs along the way....:thumbsup:
Life is short...we are serious about fishing but also serious about having a good time while out there....

*****BTW, when you hear me say Finchaser usually outfishes us 2:1, that's absolutely true...
I mention this specifically because when one catches fish in the double digits, some folks might question how it's possible when others have trouble managing one or 2....
I keep trying to tell people that's because he rubs the plug or rubber on his crotch :scared: each time he casts, but no one wants to believe me....:don't know why: :rolleyes:

He consistently catches more fish than the average fisherman, so I want folks to understand when his catches sometimes run into the double digits, that most people could not duplicate those numbers.....:thumbsup:....YMMV....

fishinmission78
08-17-2012, 03:38 PM
^ yeah you guys do seem to have a blast out there, If you smell that bad you should come to IBSP. Maybe the flies will follow you around and leave me alone. They have been terrible this year, worst ever. W or SW brings them on strong.
Fished there this morning, lots of kingfish on gulp and small hooks. Picked up a 5lb fluke and 8 shorts too.tons of bait in the wash, rainfish, spearing, maybe some peanuts.

finchaser
08-17-2012, 09:37 PM
He would attract and kill the flies as he usually can gag a maggot,lets not forget he uses his shirt and pants to wipe his hands not a rag

rip316
08-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Hey guys. My phone still works ya know.

Monty
08-18-2012, 08:29 AM
The fact that Fin and some of ya's know that, and still put up with me, constantly amazes me. :rolleyes:
The other elements of one of my fishing reports might be embellishments, even the exxagerations as to how much I smell....
Life is short...we are serious about fishing but also serious about having a good time while out there....

Congrats on the fishing and catching Dark and Finchaser, you guys are the Dynamic Duo...... Actually you guys need a real nickname. You have a certain dynamic not seen in other twosomes. Abbot and Costello come up short in the comedy, Batman and Robin can't come close to the thrills and insanity of Dark's fishing adventures. Great reports guys!!

gjb1969
08-18-2012, 12:55 PM
bassman and bluefish!!! to the fishmobile bluefish!!!

DarkSkies
08-18-2012, 03:06 PM
He would attract and kill the flies as he usually can gag a maggot,lets not forget he uses his shirt and pants to wipe his hands not a rag
Now I know why ya said...."You really should fish over there...there is a hole there and you might do a little better"....the real reason is it was downwind of ya! :2flip: :moon: :kiss: :laugh: :clapping: :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

A little bird called and told me ya only sail for the Parkway now if it has a boat at the end of the journey waiting for your precious feet to step on...:) We're battling no see ums, flies, and the delicate scent of my sweat stained shirt after an all-nighter :upck: but yer always welcome to join in the insanity, bro. :HappyWave: I did tell ya that the other day....:kiss:

No one seems to care about these fish because they ain't 30 lb bass. For an August bite having mid size bluefish bending the rod and pulling some drag, to me it's about as exciting as jumping off of speakers at a hardcore show..:headbang:...I'm happy to be catching them., and glad ya's all enjoy the embellishments...after all they're "only" bluefish....and some bass....:rolleyes: as the bulk of the catch.....

Congrats on the fishing and catching Dark and Finchaser, you guys are the Dynamic Duo...... Actually you guys need a real nickname. You have a certain dynamic not seen in other twosomes. Abbot and Costello come up short in the comedy, Batman and Robin can't come close to the thrills and insanity of Dark's fishing adventures. Great reports guys!!

Monty ....I know your fishing times are limited. and as OGB has been saying these windows are 2 hours at a time, at most, and even less when it's a sunny morning.....you're welcome to make the drive, though...:HappyWave:. as long as you know Fin will outfish us 2:1. He's a machine when the bite is on. Even more impressive when the action slows down as he still manages to pick away at the fish....

bassman and bluefish!!! to the fishmobile bluefish!!!
Thanks bro! So glad none of you mooks are good at Photoshop.....:laugh: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
08-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Surfstix originally posted this, and I thought I would link to it so you are guys are aware that sharks are everywhere now.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8554-Sharking-the-NJ-surf
Thanks Surfstix!
The original footage was shot by Tommy Lynch...fantastic footage, Tom. :thumbsup:

Some friends who fish LBI for sharks were saying the bite has died out there and seeking to go further South near Atlantic City.....and the reality is they are all over following the bunker, spot, and kingfish. IBSP, Mocoo, NY Bight, Ocean City, Cape May,....Wherever these forage species are thickest you may find these sharks. Guys I know got brown sharks off Breezy Point the other day, so it's safe to assume that you may find them anywhere the bait is thick like I mentioned.....more on this in the Turd Ferguson thread....

Monty
08-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Fished this morning from 1:00 to 9:30 out front. Could only manage a couple accidentally caught Fluke on 007 Ava and Po-Jee. Water felt pretty warm. Talked to someone who caught a ~12 lb blue while blind casting for False Albies. Water was real nice and choppy, great sunrise, lots and lots of casts, great being out there. Had a few bumps and misses and lost a small blue in the wash.:wheeeee:

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_19_SR2.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_19_Fish.jpg
Gotta be a some type of Googan award for catching a fish smaller than the lure.....can add that to my list.....:)

finchaser
08-19-2012, 06:47 PM
:clapping:^^^^^:clapping: better than a skunk

Albies and bonita are pretty thick 4 to 5 miles off in the nice clean water my friend trolled them up all day friday

DarkSkies
08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_19_SR2.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_19_Fish.jpg
Gotta be a some type of Googan award for catching a fish smaller than the lure.....can add that to my list.....:)

I love it! Nothing embarasses you, Monty...there should be an award for that. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:
Fin, thanks for the head's up on the Albies.....some guys are now getting into them from the surf, hooking and landing every day or so....

DarkSkies
08-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Fished last night for 3 hours, trying to maximize the time I spend out there....:rolleyes: :kooky:

The results were ok for what I'm used to finding in those areas, but better than average for August NJ surf fishing....

At the 2nd place I stopped at I found some good action, 3 bass in 10 minutes,,,1 almost legal. What was nice about this was the aggressiveness of the action.
The surf was very calm, calling for the SP being the first thing out of the bag, and they smashed it, hard. :headbang:

After that 10 minutes the action slowed appreciably and I had to move on.

Trying to find that feeding window and time was frustrating. I spent the next 2 hours trying to duplicate it, several stops, no action at any of them.
I talk about a "feeding window" all the time here. If you're fortunate enough to find one deep in the night, don't take if for granted as you may blink your eyes and it's over. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon9.png

Conditions out there were beautiful....

Still, that 10 minutes of activity was a blast...These are the moments that keep me coming back. That and the uncertainty and challenge as the places change from night to night, there being no consistency in this summer fishing for bass, for me,....

but again, the Journey to get that bass to hit....is part of the adrenalin for me......:fishing:

finchaser
08-20-2012, 03:20 PM
today 8:30 to 10:30 am 6 blues 7 to 15 pounds all on bucktails they were chasing 8 to 10 inch mullet

bababooey
08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Finchaser the machine, nice work on catching bluefish that big inshore.

paco33
08-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Outstanding work on the catching gang! I really want me a 15lb bluefish. Last night we tried for sharks and bluefish but only caught sharks.
We were sharking last night at nomoco. brought a 5 gallon bucket of mackeral pieces and threw some out every 5 minutes. Went to the SRI earlier on the incoming and got some spots and kingfish for biat. That inlet is loaded with them.
Cut the kingfish, bottom half to eat, heads for the sharks. I don't waste anything.

Had one nice brown shark around 9pm about an hour before high tide. Looked to be about 4' and maybe 50lbs. Got it into the wash, lost it when it bit the leader. Managed 3 others, all dogfish. Bite died when the tide went slack. Didn't stick around to see if it could get better. They are there, tons of fun.

clamchucker
08-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Nice job there. I have been fishing Island Beach in the mornings, Hardly anyone is fishing there on the weekdays. More folks near the inlet than anywhere else. Today I got some kingfish and saw some nice trigger fish caught in the inlet. Always enjoy your pictures and reports Monty. Dark and Finchaser.

storminsteve
08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Monty great photos. Did that monster bluefish peel drag?:laugh: :HappyWave:
dark finchaser, paco,. great fishing. Had no idea brown sharks were at sandy hook!
It looks like things are setting up for a cool fall.:cool:

storminsteve
08-20-2012, 06:27 PM

A little bird called and told me ya only sail for the Parkway now if it has a boat at the end of the journey waiting for your precious feet to step on...:) We're battling no see ums, flies, and the delicate scent of my sweat stained shirt after an all-nighter :upck: but yer always welcome to join in the insanity, bro. :HappyWave: I did tell ya that the other day....:kiss:

No one seems to care about these fish because they ain't 30 lb bass.

Hey I care about those fish especially the gorilla blues!
And Rip, no offense meant but boat fish don't count!:HappyWave::laugh:

surferman
08-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Great reports fellas. I fished a Cape May Jetty this morning from 5-7am. A few weakies and small fluke on gulp bucktail with gulp bloodwom 18" above.

rip316
08-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Hey I care about those fish especially the gorilla blues!
And Rip, no offense meant but boat fish don't count!:HappyWave::laugh:

I only made the comment because we are friends and dont always have time to get together. Yes, i do have a boat and use it whenever i can. Work and family take up most of my time and fishing the rest. Me,Cardoc, Dark,Monty,Surfstix, Finchaser and Speedy are buddiesand, it would be nice to get together once in a while. Eff the fish, just be nice to get out together. Life is too short.

Pebbles
08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Monty,

I love that ocean pic! My dream to own a house right there!!

Great reports, glad you guys had success, Dark.

chas527
08-21-2012, 01:03 PM
fished the hook this morning.12 small fluke,2sea robbons.2 snappers.didn't see as much bait in water nothing like last week.did see dolphins all over and close to the beach.

jigfreak
08-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Got 4 to 31" last night on magdarter. Dark were you out there? The fish they be hongry.;)

DarkSkies
08-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Nice effort guys.
I fished Mon night. Went to bed early to fish the night tides. Got up late and missed the window. :(

Because the bigger bluefish have been in and out, I decided to do a bit of back bay scouting. It's a real challenge to find and catch the bigger ones, at night. They are more picky than bass for the artificial bite, and you can't always find them as they move with the tides. There is a definite fishing window.

I missed the window here as I got skunked in 2 counties. Wasn't happy with just one skunk...:skunk:......I had to drive to Ocean county and get skunked there too....:laugh:......found the water to be dirty in both places, and lesser quantities of bait than I had been finding.

It's all about stage of the tide, and which tide you want to fish this time of year. For me, the flood has been better with cleaner water and lower temps. That strategy does seem to vary depending on where you are fishing for that particular night. It's also where I'm seeing more life in the back bay areas that I have been working.....Hey, that's fishing.....:fishing:

cowherder
08-23-2012, 12:05 AM
I fished nomoco tonight until dark, incoming tide. started using the fin-s and got many bit in half. Isn't it amazing how they know just how to bite up to the hook? :kooky:
Then I switched to bucktail and porkrind and they were slamming it. Small blues but fun anyway, managed over 20

finchaser
08-23-2012, 12:30 PM
this AM 1 bass and 14 blues to 9# all released all on rubbbbba

DarkSkies
08-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Fantastic effort people. :thumbsup:
I was out last night looking for some night bass. The conditions were perfect. Someone forgot to tell the fish. :rolleyes:
Spent 3 hours at a few locations with only one dropped fish to account for the time.
Went to a "Hail Mary" old favorite location for the last, 4th hour, of skunking.....
Spent a half hour throwing swimmers, the last 1/2 hour working bucktails and rubber, not a touch for me. :skunk:

If there were a bluefish contest this summer for biggest blues from land, I think Fin would be in the lead, and some of ya's here would have to be close 2nds or 3rds. So far those bigger bluefish have eluded me, last time I got into the bigger ones was a month ago....
I know we'll be hearing more about them soon, and you can't catch them from the couch......
WTG, all. :clapping: :fishing:

madcaster
08-24-2012, 03:52 PM
First time out in a long time.Fished RB for 2 hours Managed one blue and a weak fish
the bunker were so thick ....we snagged a few just to reel in some thing . nothing on the pods but small blues
nice to get out

gjb1969
08-24-2012, 05:14 PM
well i hope they are still around i am going to be out tonight heading south first time in a long time hope to find something:don't know why: if i skunk so what!!!

finchaser
08-24-2012, 09:48 PM
this afternoon got a call and went 6 blues to 9# all on bucktail

rip316
08-25-2012, 07:22 AM
this afternoon got a call and went 6 blues to 9# all on bucktail

Cell phone fishermen. Lmao.

speedy
08-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Cell phone fishermen. Lmao. yeah he don`t call us to go fishing :banghead2: :wheeeee:
:don't know why::don't know why: i know why because we work to f----- much :moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::m oon::moon:

finchaser
08-25-2012, 10:44 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:2flip:
This AM 2 bass and a bluefish all released

rip316
08-25-2012, 11:39 AM
This AM 2 bass and a bluefish all released

Lol. Just messing around with you Bob. I bouht a case of febreeze in case I fish with Dark one day.

speedy
08-25-2012, 12:51 PM
This AM 2 bass and a bluefish all releasedreal nice there :kiss: love u 2 lmao

finchaser
08-25-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm just going along with the joke :kiss:to both of you

Monty
08-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Lol. Just messing around with you Bob. I bouht a case of febreeze in case I fish with Dark one day.:thumbsup:

real nice there :kiss: love u 2 lmao

I'm just going along with the joke :kiss:to both of you

You guys need to get a room..... :HappyWave:

rip316
08-25-2012, 11:46 PM
:thumbsup:

You guys need to get a room..... :HappyWave:

I think we need to plan a trip.:fishing::thumbsup: what do you guys say. Stix too.

DarkSkies
08-26-2012, 11:28 AM
First time out in a long time.Fished RB for 2 hours Managed one blue and a weak fish
the bunker were so thick ....we snagged a few just to reel in some thing . nothing on the pods but small blues
nice to get out
Nice action Madcaster....I only managed one fish in the last 36 hours....that's 100% more than I caught.....:thumbsup:
The back bays haven't been loaded with this much bait in years....
Was talking with a few of ya's about that.....I'm hoping nothing happens weather wise to change that in the next 3 weeks as the temps back there drop to the 70's, and eagerly hoping it will all come together...........

well i hope they are still around i am going to be out tonight heading south first time in a long time hope to find something:don't know why: if i skunk so what!!!
Absolutely, G....can't catch them from the couch....:fishing: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
08-26-2012, 11:52 AM
I chased after the big bluefish for the last 36 hours.....failed because I missed every window...When you just miss the fish each time because somehow you missed that window it's pretty humbling....or it could be that sometimes I really suck. :bucktooth: :laugh:

Started Fri afternoon....by the time I got to the water the fish were long gone.....
It doesn't matter, to me, bluefish 8-14 lbs fight better than any schoolie bass and are worth chasing after.....
It really is about the food first, and water temps, tides, and time of day second. I had to re-learn that this weekend, both with bass and bluefish.

After missing out on the blues, I went to fish North a few hours. 4 hours in the ocean, beautiful night tides. one short "Hail Mary" bass on a bucktail.
No other action at all for me.
The level of activity was way down where I was.....most likely because the amount of forage was down....

5 nights before that bass were hitting plugs like it was their last meal., more aggressive than they had been in weeks.
As I said, although conditions were prime, the food was just not there. :don't know why:

Didn't want to go home with only one fish for the trip.
Went South looking for some bluefish action.
Fished the pre-dawn to dawn window...5-6am.
No bluefish action for me at all....went to sleep in the car hoping to catch some action around the next tide change.

Back out at it again with different tide, water was 8-10 degrees cooler this time.
The visibility was much better, 2-3 feet on the flood as opposed to almost zero visibility and dirty water on the ebb.
The cooler water, and varieties of bait (I saw scattered peanut bunker, spearing, and a few mullet) had me optimistic...but there was no feeding window for these blues in the daytime, where I was.

I think for some reason the bite was off,....it seems the OGB himself only had about a 1/2 hour window of activity that morning....
Or.....it could be that I came down to fish....and the Black Cloud of Death followed me.....:laugh:

Anyway....no bluefish for me.....
The problem was I wanted one so bad, they could probably smell my desperation and avoided the area I was fishing in....

The real answer is that there was probably less food/forage than there had been, and along with some other factors, the action had slowed to a trickle.
As I always say, hey, that's fishing,,,,,,,:fishing:
36 hour marathon, one short bass to show for it.....Woo H00. :rolleyes: :kooky:

DarkSkies
08-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Cell phone fishermen. Lmao.
I would be careful poking the old grouchy basstard....
His last name ends in a vowel....frikkin Eye-talians...:laugh:....you say one bad thing, and the next day you are trying on a new pair of cement shoes....:whoo: :HappyWave:

Lol. Just messing around with you. I bouht a case of febreeze in case I fish with Dark one day.

:2flip: :moon::HappyWave: I keep trying to tell ya fishing with us is over-rated.

Some of us are grouchy...

Some of us smell bad....:embarassed:
Some of us are crabby SOBS when we ain't catchin....
And above all we ain't chatty....if you get me on the phone I'll probably wear your cell phone battery out....:d
But when it comes to fishing, and hanging together,....it's all about fishin...if we chat too much during a bite, the bite dies and the fishing is oiver....what are we gonna do then...go shopping and get a super mocha latte at Starbucks? :rolleyes:
Nope, we go home, get things done, so we can come out and do it all over again.....
The chatting while fishin.....that's for girls......:laugh: :)
You fish with Fin and you may get one or two words out of him....it's no picnic fishing with any of us...just to be clear.....:HappyWave:

yeah he don`t call us to go fishing :banghead2: :wheeeee:
:don't know why::don't know why: i know why because we work to f----- much :moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

You WANT to fish? I thought ya gave it up, bro.....How many times did I call ya telling you to get out there!.......I thought you were retired from fishing and took up a new hobby hunting down those crazy late-night message writers. :ROFLMAO
They can be nasty critters, turning up all hours of the night....worse than raccoons!
I understand they can be a problem in your neighborhood.....:rolleyes: :HappyWave:

Monty
08-26-2012, 02:39 PM
As I always say, hey, that's fishing,,,,,,,:fishing:
36 hour marathon, one short bass to show for it.....Woo H00. :rolleyes: :kooky:
Well my report is shorter and makes yours look like a Grand Success....
Started off 2 hours before leaving for the trip with one of my cats trying to jump over my shoulder and missing:huh:, no big deal, 2 scratches down the side of my face, bleeding stopped on 15 minutes:thumbsup:.
Started fishing bay side at 1:30 AM, fished for 30 minutes, saw lightning, headed back to the Honda, moved to the ocean, no lightning :thumbsup: Fished a few areas, worked way down the beach around a mile, was walking around end of a jetty and the sand caves in a foot or 2 :huh:, then 2 seconds later caves in further, I reach out onto rocks, slam reel on rocks, stop free fall. Climb out, fish more, work way back to Honda, no action (bleeding of ankle has stopped:thumbsup:). Decide to go bayside and scout out an area that I have never fished. Walking the shoreline to the area, there was a soccer game going on water side (its 8:30 AM), a guy is running right at me:huh:, I lower my shoulder and when he hits me he crumbles to the ground, gets up and apologizes (no blood :thumbsup:). I get to my spot wade pretty far out, no action but am happy just to be fishing.. I decide to try a different path to get to shore, all is well almost there and the next thing I know I go from a nice sand bottom to sinking in mud, climb out of the mud, retrace original path and get to land. Am finished fishing at 10:30. Bloody skunk for me. But live to fish another day :thumbsup:
I have been in sand that has been very soft, like quick sand. This hole I fell in was completely covered, very dangerous.
Well that's fishing,,,,,,,:fishing:
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_sr1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_sr2.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_sand.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_hole.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_26_ankle.jpg

finchaser
08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Better take care of that who knows what grows in the waters around here. As for me never fish without waders

DarkSkies
08-26-2012, 09:08 PM

1.Started off 2 hours before leaving for the trip with one of my cats trying to jump over my shoulder and missing:huh:, no big deal, 2 scratches down the side of my face, bleeding stopped on 15 minutes:thumbsup:.

2. Started fishing bay side at 1:30 AM, fished for 30 minutes, saw lightning, headed back to the Honda, moved to the ocean, no lightning :thumbsup:
3. Fished a few areas, worked way down the beach around a mile, was walking around end of a jetty and the sand caves in a foot or 2 :huh:,

4.then 2 seconds later caves in further, I reach out onto rocks, slam reel on rocks, stop free fall. Climb out, fish more, work way back to Honda, no action (bleeding of ankle has stopped:thumbsup:).

5. Decide to go bayside and scout out an area that I have never fished. Walking the shoreline to the area, there was a soccer game going on water side (its 8:30 AM), a guy is running right at me:huh:, I lower my shoulder and when he hits me he crumbles to the ground, gets up and apologizes (no blood :thumbsup:). I get to my spot wade pretty far out, no action but am happy just to be fishing..

6. I decide to try a different path to get to shore, all is well almost there and the next thing I know I go from a nice sand bottom to sinking in mud, climb out of the mud, retrace original path and get to land. Am finished fishing at 10:30.

7. Bloody skunk for me. But live to fish another day :thumbsup:
I have been in sand that has been very soft, like quick sand. This hole I fell in was completely covered, very dangerous.

This was one of the most "colorful" reports I've read all season Monty. :ROFLMAO
I was rolling on the floor when you told me the story.

Only a true googan could be involved in this much mayhem and still walk out of it aliive. :clapping: :thumbsup:
And I say this with the upmost in respect.... because to be be involved in all of that, without a hospital trip somewhere in between....
I think it's fair to say you have 9 lives like your cats do.....http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon6.png

Awesome report, although no fish, filled with action, danger, drama, and blood! :blackeye: :wow:
As always, thanks for the most colorful (and bloody) pics.....;)

Glad you're ok,,,,I'm gonna post this in the Story of the Month...
And am coining a new fishing term, attributed to you....:bucktooth:
The Bloody Skunk...:cool: :thumbsup:

Monty
08-26-2012, 11:01 PM
This was one of the most "colorful" reports I've read all season Monty. :ROFLMAO
I was rolling on the floor when you told me the story.

Only a true googan could be involved in this much mayhem and still walk out of it aliive. :clapping: :thumbsup:
Awesome report, although no fish, filled with action, danger, drama, and blood! :blackeye: :wow:
As always, thanks for the most colorful (and bloody) pics.....;)
Glad you're ok,,,,.
And am coining a new fishing term, attributed to you....:bucktooth:
The Bloody Skunk...:cool: :thumbsup:
:HappyWave: Thought you would get a chuckle from it, I was laughing a good portion of my ride home on the Parkway. The guy that ran in to me (close to full speed), kinda made the trip a Googan Special.
I took care of the fishing term post :d

gjb1969
08-27-2012, 12:23 AM
battle scars we all have them:viking:

chas527
08-27-2012, 01:28 PM
fished the hook this morning. 3 small fluke 3 sea robbins. did see alot of bait with big fish after them but they were a little to far out.all so seen a whale come out of the water chassing bait. real close to the beach.

rip316
08-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Started off 2 hours before leaving for the trip with one of my cats trying to jump over my shoulder and missing:huh:, no big deal, 2 scratches down the side of my face, bleeding stopped on 15 minutes:thumbsup:.
Started fishing bay side at 1:30 AM, fished for 30 minutes, saw lightning, headed back to the Honda, moved to the ocean, no lightning :thumbsup: Fished a few areas, worked way down the beach around a mile, was walking around end of a jetty and the sand caves in a foot or 2 :huh:, then 2 seconds later caves in further, I reach out onto rocks, slam reel on rocks, stop free fall. Climb out, fish more, work way back to Honda, no action (bleeding of ankle has stopped:thumbsup:). Decide to go bayside and scout out an area that I have never fished. Walking the shoreline to the area, there was a soccer game going on water side (its 8:30 AM), a guy is running right at me:huh:, I lower my shoulder and when he hits me he crumbles to the ground, gets up and apologizes (no blood :thumbsup:). I get to my spot wade pretty far out, no action but am happy just to be fishing.. I decide to try a different path to get to shore, all is well almost there and the next thing I know I go from a nice sand bottom to sinking in mud, climb out of the mud, retrace original path and get to land. Am finished fishing at 10:30. Bloody skunk for me. But live to fish another day :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear you had such a crappy trip Ray. Ill be calling you soon.

Monty
08-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Sorry to hear you had such a crappy trip Ray. Ill be calling you soon.

:HappyWave: I always say a bloody day fishing is better than a great day at work. :D

speedy
08-27-2012, 08:56 PM

ouch !!!!! :wow::wow: tell them monty do it right the first time :clapping:

finchaser
08-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Today 6 to 7 AM released 6 blues 5 to 10 pounds all on jig head and rubbbbbbbbbbbbbbba

jigfreak
08-28-2012, 11:34 PM

gotta be in it to win it. Give em hell cowboy. Cool bloody leg, nice, red, bloody. Awesome shot.

jigfreak
08-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Fished somoco a few places for a few hours it was awesome out there. The west wind kicked the surf down and it was like being on your own ocean. No one out there. 5 bass to 8#, SP.

Monty
08-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Cool bloody leg, nice, red, bloody. Awesome shot.
Using an Olympus Tough TG 820 Camera, I'm really liking its pics

Fished somoco a few places for a few hours it was awesome out there. The west wind kicked the surf down and it was like being on your own ocean. No one out there. 5 bass to 8#, SP.
Great report!!

finchaser
08-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Today 6 to 7:30 AM 2 bass and 6 blues all on white bucktail all released

DarkSkies
08-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Jigfreak, it's amazing to still be catching legal sized bass in August. And the sad thing is not many are williing to put the effort in. The vast majority of guys have given up bass fishing till the "run" starts. :kooky:

When will that be?
Will we be getting postcards telling us when to get out there? :laugh:

Finchaser was yelling at some of the old timers the other day, some of the legends, who all deserve respect, but who feel bass fishing right now isn't worth it...
Meanwhile Fin and some of us are having the time of our lives....no waiting, no crowds, very little trash, no mugging, no cell phones on the beach, the theater of the sky and all its glory in front of you every night....what more could any surf fisherman ask for? :drool:

Yep the fish are hard to coax, but they have snapped out of their sluggishness, as you said.
They are aggressively smashing artificials, even the small schoolies....
And to me, that's a blast. :dribble:

In the meantime, the participation is so low that last Friday night I was out fishin. I procrastinated getting out there because I really was hoping anyone out there would be gone by the time I got out....
Turns out there was no need to worrry...
Didn't see a soul all night....on a Friday night....
At times like that, it feels like your own private beach. ...:wow:

Yup, the bass have been somewhat hard to catch in August.....but they are there...if you know your water....and the environment out there.
It's ultimately peaceful and relaxing....the best therapy in the world, all for the price of a few dollars in gas....

DarkSkies
08-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Outstanding effort, folks, to everyone who is getting out and trying.... :thumbsup:

Fished the whole tide last night.
Wanted to make it a short trip, didn't quite work out that way....:kooky:

After 2 hours into the trip, I had no action at all on plugs.
Some of you guys had done well earlier. :HappyWave: I figured I could score some bass on plugs on the 2nd shift.,...wrong....

2 hours of no action throwing plugs.... and I changed the game plan.
Started throwing bucktails. There's a reason for that, explained in the turd ferguson thread.
A few minutes into it, at location #4, the bucktail gets smashed and the fish makes a run for England...:d
Hit so hard I thought it was a bluefish. :viking:

Took another hour of bucktailing (at still another location) to get the 2nd fish, about 1/2" bigger than the 1st. I had planned to keep one if I got a legal bass. This one had red lesions (Myco) so it was released in a flash.

15 minutes before I was going to leave, started throwing the Daiwa again, trying to get some top water action.
This time it was the SM...and I did drop 1 fish as I frantically cast over and over like a machine.

Total for the night, 2 bass landed, one legal, both released.
Even though these are only schoolies, they have gotten more aggressive since the storms and drop in water temps.
Lots of fun and fight. :fishing:

chas527
08-29-2012, 01:16 PM
fished the hook this morning 4 small blue fish 8 sea robbins on peanut bunker.

finchaser
08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
This AM 6 to 7:30 released 16 blues to 8# all on bucktails

cowherder
08-30-2012, 02:53 PM
:clapping:Wow you guys are still slamming the fish, kudos! chas527, 8 sea robins is still a nice catch. Heard you can fry the tail or something. Also heard they are up at the hook in swarms this year.

fishinmission78
08-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Fished the lst 2 hours of the incoming at island beach this morning. Lots of short fluke around. Lots of small bait in the surf, water was clear as an aquarium. Got one keeper 18 1/2" and 6 shorts, gulp with gulp teaser.

fishinmission78
08-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Chas you can sautee those sea robin tails in olive oil garlic and oregano, not that bad if you get some big ones. I have not been getting a lot of sea robins down here. Not that I want them, but its weird how you have some fish at one beach and others at another. We have more kingfish and spot here this year than I have seen in almost 10 years. Finchaser congrats on the big blues we have cocktails in the surf here, all you want on dead peanut bunker or mullet.

chas527
08-30-2012, 05:36 PM
fished the hook this morning 8 3lbs blue fish ,on peanut bunker.but the flys were biting to.

storminsteve
08-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Nice to hear of more bluefish action. Congrats on the keeper fluke too FnM. I fished SH before work today for an hour but only got 2 shorts. Lots of bait in the surf as you said though. Looks like things are getting ready to explode.

hookedonbass
08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Finchaser congrats on the big blues

8 lb bluefish in August? Zip a de doo dah! Kudos.

finchaser
08-31-2012, 01:40 PM
today 6 to 7:30 released 14 blues and 1 bass all on white bucktail and chartreuse tail. I was also mugged by DS, who fished down wind of me:clapping: