PDA

View Full Version : Algae blooms

basshunter
08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
I read some talk here about the algae. I have seen the Barnegat Bay turn brown in years past, and recently visited an aunt in North Jersey and had to cross the Raritan Bridge. Man the water looked brown as heck!
I realize it could have been from the rains, but it looked pretty brown to me.
I wondered what you guys thoughts were as to how this could affect the fishing in the next month.

crosseyedbass
08-13-2012, 10:12 PM
I don't know how bad it is for you guys over there, but here is todays report from the net on the debs inlet algae:

"It's been very poor fishing for the last week. We went from lots of fluke with a keeper or two each day, to just small sea robins, and the occasional small fluke. The water is tea colored, with lots of slimy goo and seaweed. I was thinking the sewage discharge upstate might be to blame, or maybe it's just the usual August algae bloom. The other boaters I saw today were just as perplexed. "

surfstix1963
08-14-2012, 07:20 AM
With this heat algae blooms thrive and utilize a lot of oxygen in the water which drives the fish out to better oxygenated moving water, the bays generally become unproductive but the inlet/ back bay pockets will hold the fluke & the flats are very oxygenated due to the shallow depth of the water especially if you have a breeze I like to target the drop offs there the fluke lie on that edge and pick off bait.

finchaser
08-14-2012, 11:26 AM
what he ^^^^^^^^^^ said and we need a good northeaster to stir things up followed by a cold front to cool things down too much south winds