PDA

View Full Version : FALL is in the Air!

storminsteve
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
The nights are cooler lately. The sun goes down about a 1/2 hour sooner. Last night it was dark at around 8:00.
The season is turning. Bring on the FISH!:fishing: I am so glad to hear about these gorilla bluefish in the surf. Finchaser you seem to be the only one able to catch bluefish consistently. I am jealous. I can't wait to find some gators and do battle. Bring it on!

surferman
08-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Yessir, it is like you can smell it changing. I'm excited, Hope the fall run is steady this year.

Monty
08-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I am so glad to hear about these gorilla bluefish in the surf. Finchaser you seem to be the only one able to catch bluefish consistently. I am jealous. I can't wait to find some gators and do battle. Bring it on!

Me too, I really enjoy battling the Gators. First time I ever fished the surf, some 15+ years ago, my father, bro-law and his father each hooked up with one 15+lb Gator on Island Beach while they were slaughtering peanuts. That day I gave up fresh water fishing.
When I watch weather reports I look for the cooler nights now....would it be weird if I said that watching the weather reports and seeing cooler nights forecasted gets me excited.....:wheeeee:

finchaser
08-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Yes sir, it is like you can smell it changing. I'm excited, Hope the fall run is steady this year.

Unless your near Dark then you can only smell him:ROFLMAO

storminsteve
09-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Getting closer guys you can feel it!

gjb1969
09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
i hate the cold but i like the fish cant have it all :burn:

Monty
09-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Felt great out there in the early AM this morning, nice cool air, low humidity:). But the ocean water was like being in a hot jacuzzi.

cowherder
09-20-2012, 12:23 PM
When I watch weather reports I look for the cooler nights now....would it be weird if I said that watching the weather reports and seeing cooler nights forecasted gets me excited.....:wheeeee:

Me too and it was certainly cold last night. Soon soon!

Monty
10-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Just checked the weather forecast, Sunday night low of 50, Monday night a low of 45. Lows throughout the week in the 40s.
I'm looking forward to the cooler weather big time (will be fishing that week 5 out of 6 days starting Sunday OTW ~3:30 AM) :).

finchaser
10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
This morning 5AM foggy, balmy and 70

DarkSkies
10-03-2012, 08:25 PM
This morning 5AM foggy, balmy and 70

Grumble grumble grumble....that's what the old grouchy basstids do.....:laugh: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
10-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Just checked the weather forecast, Sunday night low of 50, Monday night a low of 45. Lows throughout the week in the 40s.
I'm looking forward to the cooler weather big time (will be fishing that week 5 out of 6 days starting Sunday OTW ~3:30 AM) :).

Me too Monty.....:HappyWave:
That could be the catalyst that pushes all the back bay bait down the gauntlet....

Monty
10-04-2012, 06:05 AM
"This morning 5AM foggy, balmy and 70" (Finchaser)Grumble grumble grumble....that's what the old grouchy basstids do.....:laugh: :HappyWave:
Wow I misread that, thought he meant:
"Its foggy out there but a wonderful 70 degrees, incredidble October fishing weater, enjoy while you can everyone :bigeyes: ".

Me too Monty.....:HappyWave:
That could be the catalyst that pushes all the back bay bait down the gauntlet....
:HappyWave: That would be nice

finchaser
10-04-2012, 10:29 AM
No I meant it suck_d hot ,humid and millions of bugs, at this rate the fall fish will pass offshore in cooler water :2flip:

DarkSkies
10-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow I misread that, thought he meant:
"Its foggy out there but a wonderful 70 degrees, incredidble October fishing weater, enjoy while you can everyone :bigeyes: ".

:HappyWave: That would be nice

No I meant it suck_d hot ,humid and millions of bugs, at this rate the fall fish will pass offshore in cooler water :2flip:

I know Monty...he aint always a grouchy basstid.....but it's part of my duty to portray him that way,,,cause we love him (those of us who know him do....I think some others out there are actually afraid of him....imagine that....:scared: :rolleyes: )

It seems some on here only respond to bust his balls when I do, letting them know it's ok to poke the bear......:cool:
It is OK to poke the Grizzly, OGB once in a while guys, but he does bite, so be careful.....:)
Or else you'll have to bribe him with peanut butter cakes to get back in his good graces.....

As for the fishing,,,,,,
Finchaser...as usual, is right on the $$.

Fish migration is driven by bait as described.
However it's also driven by water temp and weather patterns.

On years that it's too warm the bass will tend to stay further out....because the food beyond a few miles is usually abundant.
Example: one winter when the inshore temps were too cold off Va and NC, the bass were feasting on schools of bunker up to 25 miles offshore.

They come in to feast on the migrating baitfish.
When that baitfish moves out too quickly, such as when we have severe storms in the bays and rivers, it could be gone within a matter of days.

Severe storms hamper fishing, so in many cases we don't know the bait is gone until the next time we go out looking for it and see dead water.

I wonder if folks do much thinking about where the first NJ Sept and early Oct bass come from?
Finchaser and the old farts do,....all the time...:thumbsup: :learn:.they know just about every body of bass that hits the Jersey Coast, and when and why it's here....

DarkSkies
10-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Fin and I were just talking.,...and he reminded me that right now the temps on the bottom in 60' of water are prime temps for bass....not the 65-68 degree readings we are getting in the surf....his point was that in years when ocean temps trend higher, (and there are high concentrations of bait offshore) the bass tend to run offshore. Offshore in this frame of reference could be as little as 1 mile, to 10 miles out...

If things do develop this way, the surf guys could have a poor season while boat fishermen do much better.

In essence, we do need some bad weather that will get things moving along. If it's too severe it could also affect us as well. In analyzing this, there are many variables that can make or break a Spring/fall season for the surf fishermen......

Despite my Crowning Fin as the King of Gloom and Doom....:HappyWave:...he really deserves credit for a lot of these observations as they are from decades of experience.....:learn:....I'm hoping for one or 2 mild storms, together with a temp drop, to jump start things in the surf zone.

cowherder
10-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Well bring on the storms then because because fall fishing so far is not so good.