PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Is Having a "Go To" Important to All Fishermen?

DarkSkies
08-27-2012, 12:27 AM
A "Go To" can be thought of in several ways.

1. Some look at it as a plug or profile that they throw.
In that sense, I would define it as the thing they are most comfortable throwing.

DarkSkies
08-27-2012, 12:32 AM
2. Others look at it as a particular type of fishing that they have done well with. They seek to repeat this style, because let's face it...you are most comfortable catching doing something that has worked for you before.

Examples of this run the gamut of many types of fishing.....

A fisherman who fishes clams on a sandy beach because that always seems to work for him.
A fisherman who fishes bunker because that works for him as well.
A fisherman who tries to focus on live bait, such as live bunker, or keeping spot (lafayette) in a pen (and before it was banned, herring in a pen).
A fisherman who fishes from a pier or bulkhead because they have had their best luck doing that.

A fisherman who fishes for tuna and trolls because that's the way he usually catches his biggest fish.
A kayaker who fishes in the daytime bunker schools because he believes he has the best chance of catching doing that....

A fisherman who wetsuits it out to the rocks, or who skishes live eels at night in the belief that's the best way to get the fish they are looking for.

There are all sorts of ways that people reveal what is most comfortable to them, by the way they usually fish.
I only mentioned a few of them above....

DarkSkies
08-27-2012, 12:35 AM
3. There are other thoughts that a "Go to" is a certain type or style of artificial presentation.
These are the things that someone will turn to when the fishing is slow, or it's an off night.....

I think it's natural that when faced with poor results, we resort to the things that have worked for us in the past....
They help us to focus better...

Because when you're fishing your "Go To"....you naturally have a better sense of confidence. This sense of confidence may translate to a higher hookup ratio....

DarkSkies
08-27-2012, 12:41 AM
In the past, I would hesitate answering a question like that.

"What is your favorite Go To plug at night?" :huh:

I always felt it depended on the conditions.
On certain nights I fish certain profiles hard.
Other nights they never even come out of the bag.

There are many reasons for this, and each one of them has an ability to define your success or failure for that night.

However, as I thought about this, and some of the fishermen I know....
I realize that many of us have a "Go To"....

Whether it's liking to fish a certain type of beach...
Or certain type of structure.....
Or certain type of current....

Or maybe some, like me, are not satisfied until we find the fish, which means a lot of moving around....

I know some fishermen who only fish Bombers...all the time...
Others who only fish bucktails..
Others who only fish rubber.....
Others who only fly fish.....
And still others who have metal and bucktails as a go to, no matter what the season....

These are all interesting things I've noticed over the years.....

DarkSkies
08-27-2012, 12:42 AM
What I thought ya's might want to share here, is.....

What is your "Go To"....

For what conditions?
And Why?

Monty
08-27-2012, 07:15 AM
My "Go To" is the 14" Black Hogy, I have caught more keeper size Bass with it than any other artificial. I really enjoy fishing with it.
The next "Go To" is attaching a teaser to my leader.
When conditions are big wind in face my "Go To" is a Super Strike Green Popper or Ava 27/37 with teaser.

"Go To" means to me what I have the most confidence in. That every cast I make with it I have that feeling that the line will get real tight and the rod bent.

vpass
08-27-2012, 09:25 PM
My go to is the 7 to 9 inch Slugo. I caught many nice size fish with them. I have more then 100 slugos in storage. I have lot of confidence in this rubber lure. I usually fish it when I can't hook up or need a fish fix. The hit is usually light.

The Black bomber, and Needlefish are my second favorite. usually do good with these lures the hit on these lures is what will get you addicted to fishing plugs.

What I also do well and not really my go to, but sometime don't have a choice is the Ava jig. I hate using them, but to reach the other bar with something that has the sandeel profile it's the only choice.

surfstix1963
08-28-2012, 08:15 AM
White wooden popper (daytime) I like SS but the wood outshines the plastic poppers IMO
Hopkins(skinny bait) or a Kastmaster(p-nuts) w/a tied tail hook(2nd choice)
Rubber shads (anytime day or night)
Metal lips (early a.m. calm days and at night)
Darters(in heavy current)
bottle plugs and big bucktails in a heavy heave.
Needlefish conditions decide what kind and how it is weighted.It is a big reason why many don't fish them these are good to buy or build custom so you can control what it does.top,fast sinker,slow sinker etc. they are very versatile if you give them the time.
That should do it if not go home.

finchaser
08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Bunker Snag I'm joining the new generation

Monty
08-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Wow, when I heard you were part of the cell phone gang I it was like hearing of some one like Micky Mantle being on steroids.....

Now this.....

Was it the peer pressure?

Fishing with Dark and the wader smell melting your brain??

Too much love with you, Jimmy and Speedy???

Did you just catch all the remaining fish that will strike artificials and are now moving on to the easy stuff????

You hanging with Bababoie to much (that would drive anyone to bunker I think)??????

You run out of Rubaaaaaahh??????

Too much meds???, Not enough meds?????

:HappyWave:

finchaser
08-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Wow, when I heard you were part of the cell phone gang I it was like hearing of some one like Micky Mantle being on steroids.....

Now this.....

Fishing with Dark and the smell melting your brain??

Did you just catch all the remaining fish that will strike artificials and are now moving on to the easy stuff????

You hanging with Bababoie to much (that would drive anyone to bunker I think)??????

Only kidding they should ban snags

jigfreak
08-28-2012, 11:42 PM

Now this.....

:clapping::clapping:Post of the week.

I thought the cell phone crowds were all sitting at home on the internet waiting for the smoke signal to go fish.
BTW there are no fish in NJ they are all in Montauk, please all surf sharpies run up there asap they are bailing 25lb cows off the beach at night. Get up there before its over.
So finchaser could it be true. Are you going to the dark side of bunker snags and cell phone chains? Sttanding on the boards waiting for the fish to be caught so you can run down and mug the guy? Say it isn't so. Next thing you will be voting for Obama.:kooky:

bababooey
08-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Finchaser fishing bunker snags. Voting for Obama?:scared: Something is not right with the world. like the Bizzaro World on Seinfeld.:laugh:

bababooey
08-28-2012, 11:59 PM

Hey are you talking to me? I know people, who know people. Don't forget it.:laugh: :HappyWave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgcVLOe9qFM

finchaser
08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Finchaser fishing bunker snags. Voting for Obama?:scared: Something is not right with the world. like the Bizzaro World on Seinfeld.:laugh:

There is nothing that could make me vote for that piece of sh_t. I can't believe any one in there right mind would either ,even the ones who believed they would never have to work, pay rent and get new cars for free.:kooky:

hookedonbass
08-30-2012, 06:13 PM
There is nothing that could make me vote for that piece of sh_t. I can't believe any one in there right mind would either ,even the ones who believed they would never have to work, pay rent and get new cars for free.:kooky:

:clapping::clapping: :clapping::clapping::clapping: Amen! The only change I have since he was elected, is the change in my pocket.

hookedonbass
08-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Go to - my go to is a white bucktail with a small white grub. Or a pork rind strip. Use the rinds if the blues are around you will save on rubber That is really all you need fishing structure. I do like some of the plastic plugs though, for when the spearing and sand eels are around. I like bombers, rebels, and think the daiwa should be in every fishermans bag. I also like this one plug by guides choice. It has rattles in it like the daiwa. When the mullet are here in schools on the beach, that is the first thing I throw in low light situations.

rip316
08-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Thought you were using your cell phone to catch fish now. Hahahahha

bababooey
08-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Thought you were using your cell phone to catch fish now. Hahahahha

Excuse me for noticing Rip316, but arent you a guy who (allegedly) fishes from a boat now? Hmmmm? :rolleyes:
I mean no offence by this.
I have no problem with that in fact I don't understand the big thrill of fishing the surf when you can catch more fish in half the time from a boat. I find boat fishing to be much more comfortable. Why suffer?
Anyway I digress. When I am out on the water on my boat, I use what ever intel is available. VHS, if I know the guy. If I am inshore and in range of the cell access I use a cell phone to get good info from any guys I know who are fishing that day. If they put me on some good numbers I know I'll be coming home with a cooler full of fish. Why would you guys want to make it harder?:huh:
Use the cell phone it is a good communications tool. Am I wrong on this?

storminsteve
08-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Excuse me for noticing Rip316, but arent you a guy who (allegedly) fishes from a boat now? Hmmmm? :rolleyes:
I mean no offence by this.

Bababooey I think you are way off base. From what I have read I think rip does have a boat. But before that I think he was fishing from the surf for quite some time. Try it more often you might like it. And maybe you could melt off 10 or so of those 40 extra pounds. Think heard attack, dude!:scared:

Monty
08-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Why would you guys want to make it harder?:huh:
Use the cell phone it is a good communications tool. Am I wrong on this?

Some of us like the challenge/reward that surf fishing provides. To each their own, I'm anti-cell phone. Hate, HATE!! crowds.
I'll walk away from fish if there is a crowd.

surfwalker
09-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Go to plugs, like Dark mentioned, they vary depending on the conditions.

One that I throw often at night or pre dark/light, mostly in current, slight wind, deep holes, is an old 6”/7” black over silver over white sinking Rebel, with a dark teaser. Many people hated this plug, but it has treated me pretty good in the past. If I’m picking them up on the plug I change over to a straight leader, no teaser.

If conditions are too rough, I’ll switch to a bucktail, dressed with some hair, rubber or even a fin-s. Or a dark bottle plug, as long as I can keep in contact with it. As it gets lighter, I’ll try lighter colored plugs or metals (keeping with the profiles of the bait present). Most times I feel that it's the action of what your throwing as opposed to the color. Naturally I beat the hell outta the water with poppers (yellow, red over white, white).

On wide open, shallow beaches I’ll throw a 4 ½ Rebel, black over white. As long as the wind is at my back or NW. Also some bombers, depending on the time of year, varying the colors-blue over white, green over white, yellow, black. Metals come into play with the sky/bait. Again the poppers, I enjoy watching them more than the fish. There’s other stuff I throw, sometimes it doesn’t matter.

If all else fails, then I’ll just cast a bucktail, or some sort of wildeye, while retrieving on the walk.

wish4fish
09-03-2012, 06:46 PM
my go to us bunker clams or peanuts or in the spring tapeworms. if u cant catch a fish on them u can go home!

rockhopper
09-03-2012, 08:41 PM
My goto is a pig and jig, buck and pork. You can catch almost any surf gamefish with that except albies. I also like the bottle plugs like ss makes. And metal when the whitebait is around.

williehookem
09-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Go to plugs, like Dark mentioned, they vary depending on the conditions.

One that I throw often at night or pre dark/light, mostly in current, slight wind, deep holes, is an old 6”/7” black over silver over white sinking Rebel, with a dark teaser. Many people hated this plug, but it has treated me pretty good in the past. If I’m picking them up on the plug I change over to a straight leader, no teaser.

If conditions are too rough, I’ll switch to a bucktail, dressed with some hair, rubber or even a fin-s. Or a dark bottle plug, as long as I can keep in contact with it. As it gets lighter, I’ll try lighter colored plugs or metals (keeping with the profiles of the bait present). Most times I feel that it's the action of what your throwing as opposed to the color. Naturally I beat the hell outta the water with poppers (yellow, red over white, white).

On wide open, shallow beaches I’ll throw a 4 ½ Rebel, black over white. As long as the wind is at my back or NW. Also some bombers, depending on the time of year, varying the colors-blue over white, green over white, yellow, black. Metals come into play with the sky/bait. Again the poppers, I enjoy watching them more than the fish. There’s other stuff I throw, sometimes it doesn’t matter.

If all else fails, then I’ll just cast a bucktail, or some sort of wildeye, while retrieving on the walk.

this makes more sense to me, changing what your go to is depending on the conditions. Thanks for that outlook.

DarkSkies
09-05-2012, 07:56 AM

Now this.....

I must have missed this, Monty....:clapping::clapping: :thumbsup:
"Quote of the Week"....ROLFMFAO funny.....:ROFLMAO

Maybe the Old Grouchy Bear is getting tired....
After all, those bunker snagged fish are SO EASY....:laugh: :kooky:
No effort required....just throw out the snag in a pod of feeding bass...and you instantly have a trophy fish....home in time for breakfast.....:rolleyes:

Maybe we're seeing the new Finchaser here.....
Turning over a new leaf...
Next think you know, as someone suggested... he'll be campaigning for Obama....
And leading us singing a campground version of Kumbaya...with some interactive and politically correct chat :argue: after a happy morning of fishing.....:scared: :fishing: :HappyWave:

I know this would make Rip happy...he's been asking us to do this for months now.....:laugh: :HappyWave: