PDA

View Full Version : Split Rings how and why?

baitstealer
09-03-2012, 04:49 PM
I know split rings are good so you do not have line twist and help you to take the stress off the eyelet of the lure in the front. Which things do you not put a split ring on, and why? thanks

cowherder
09-03-2012, 06:38 PM
I put them on bombers and all my swimming plugs. Don't know if that is correct but its what I do.

storminsteve
09-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Do not use them on magdarters. It takes away from the action.

Monty
09-03-2012, 08:05 PM
I take all of the split rings off the eyes of the plugs. To address the line twisting I use a barrel swivel to attach the leader to the braid.
I use split rings to attach hooks to the plugs (some times).

surfstix1963
09-04-2012, 07:01 AM
I do use them on my plugs for the hooks (just my opinion) I have never had a split ring failure(I use Rosco's 5.5 or 6 XH) Check your tackle.
The only negative I find with some plugs is using the barrel swivel and splitring,it will allow the hook to hang too low and foul with the other hook(if equipped) or the lip of a swimmer.So I leave the tail hook on and downsize the back treble or remove it completely I like the latter, 3 hook set-ups just kill fish and are useless for C&R.As far as the splitring on the front take them off and use a good snap,loop knot or tie direct.Although I use them for some plugs that I do,I am not a fan of open eye hooks don't like them never did never will (also Just my opinion) I am just an old school guy I don't like to stray to far from how I was taught, my new school would be braided line and better rods and reels as far as the terminal end goes K.I.S.S. has very rarely failed me.