PDA

View Full Version : Great Vid - Hunt for Big Stripers

surfstix1963
10-20-2012, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i_AliW64TEU 

I personally cannot agree more with this.So if you have ever asked where is my big bass pay attention it requires a lot of thought and a very short period of time to try and achieve it.But it still may take years to do it I still haven't in 20 plus years best I can claim is 35 lbs. and it was caught exactly at the "Around Slack" time on a live unweighted eel.This is naturally my opinion others may disagree but thats OK.:d

storminsteve
10-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I saw him at one of the seminars. He explained this but guys were scratching their heads. I think he did a much better job here. Awesome thanks for sharing surfstix.

surfstix1963
10-20-2012, 07:48 PM
You're Welcome Steve it sounds simple but trust me nothing easy about it you're trying to pinpoint a 20-30 minute window in a 24 hr. period and all it takes is a wind change and it could blow the whole deal especially in the surf,I feel this applies well to inlets but it is a dedication to catch just big fish which are becoming a tough commodity these days and you must be willing to be disappointed and not give up.

jonthepain
10-21-2012, 08:40 PM
well put.

as a young man i was discipled by an old timer, my neighbor on lbi, and that video speaks to a couple of the points that old bill made.

he told me that big fish want to
maximize security
minimize energy output
eat

in that order. because they were good at those three things, they got big and stayed big.

he applied it to striped bass, his specialty (that he targeted on the beach at least twice a day for 70 years) but i believe it also applies to trout and other predators.

so old bill would fish behind and/or under schoolies with slow presentations, as well as slack tides and ambush sites, as crazy AK stated.

there were other times and places he would target, looking for the big fish, and they all satisfied his "3 requirements" of big fish.

great video, ss. thanks!

storminsteve
10-23-2012, 05:25 PM
it is a dedication to catch just big fish which are becoming a tough commodity these days and you must be willing to be disappointed and not give up.

good advice, thanks.

storminsteve
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
as a young man i was discipled by an old timer, my neighbor on lbi, and that video speaks to a couple of the points that old bill made.

he told me that big fish want to
maximize security
minimize energy output
eat

in that order. because they were good at those three things, they got big and stayed big.

Methinks you are lucky to have fished with old bill. Good advice.

hookset
10-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Liked it thank you for sharing.

jonthepain
10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Methinks you are lucky to have fished with old bill.

Amen to that. He's been gone over 25 years now.

clamchucker
10-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Methinks you are lucky to have fished with old bill. Good advice.

I would like to say it seems in that video they are referring to fishing inlets or rivers or rips or points like Cape May, etc. For those places I have caught some nice fish at slack tide. There are times on the beach though when it does not pay off. slack is usually when some friends and I leave for lunch and go to Betty and Nicks. We come back an hour later and we catch fish. I hope others don't talk what I am saying with offense. For straight beach fishing that is a good time to get other things done other than fishing. Good video and explanation though.