cowherder
11-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Any updates? thanks

bababooey
11-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I haven't heard of any closures. More info needed

DarkSkies
06-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm happy to let you guys know that there's a new Ranger/enforcement officer stationed there, and this guy is great! He came up to us, asked us how the fishin was, was very pleasant, but all business. I'm not going into details because I don't want to make it easier for poachers, but this guy did a very thorough search of the vehicle for contraband, short fish.

He didn't just take our word for it whether we were fishin or not, or whether we caught or not. He did the search anyway, and I was glad to have him do it. He was all business. There are no shades of grey for this guy, you either comply with the law, or you're getting a ticket. :clapping::clapping:

He told us he wrote up 7 separate tickets for short fluke that evening, and is beginning to have a record amount of citations written in the short time he's been there.

His name is Keith. I told him a lot of guys complain privately to me, and don't want to get involved because they feel nothing will be done.

He encouraged me, or anyone else, to call dispatch when you see violations. Don't confront the people doing it, just document it if you can, description of people and their vehicle, and put that call in. (732) 872-5900.

If he's workin that night, he'll be on it right away. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A little about this guy:

He's a young kid (to me) :D, but deadly serious about his job and the responsibilities it entails. He fishes too, and has always complied with the law. He has heard all the excuses in the book, don't mistake his youth for niavete, hes sharp as they come.

Glad to have met ya Keith. :HappyWave: Hope you get into some big fish on your time off, and I wanted to say for me, and some others who aren't as vocal as I am, that meeting you was a great thing, I hope you get promoted for all your good work, you definitely deserve it. :thumbsup:

For anyone reading this who wants some more enforcement #,s they're listed at the stickies at the top of the page for each regional forum. Here's the NJ ones, make that call if you see something happening. Witnessing it, and then ranting about on the internet without calling, solves nothing. :don't know why:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=45

Make the call, guys, it will be taken care of. Thanks!

skinner
06-12-2009, 11:51 AM
You said he checked your vehicle, does he know about the guys burying the fish in the sand, and marking them with sticks or something else so they can grab them up before they leave?

buckethead
06-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I think it is great that Sandy Hook is stopping the people and checking the vehicles. I get so sick and tired of fishermen getting away with crap. We should all follow the regulations, it will help preserve the fish for the future.

cowherder
06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
That's good to hear, Dark.:thumbsup:

bababooey
06-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Most excellent news. Now they need to put signs up in Spanish, Chinese, and Russian.:D

cowherder
08-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm glad this guy lost his rights. I see how they are fixing things up, and felt it would bring too much traffic into the park.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

http://www.app.com/article/20090812/NEWS/908120371/1004/NEWS01

National Park Service cancels lease with Sandy Hook Redeveloper

SANDY HOOK — For more than five years, James Wassel held a lease in his hands that gave him permission to redevelop 33 buildings on Fort Hancock. On Wednesday, the National Park Service took it away from him.

After spending several weeks reviewing a set of financial documents submitted in March by Wassel's company, Sandy Hook Partners, the National Park Service determined the proposal was insufficient to meet the purposes and requirements of the 60-year lease, said Brian Feeney, a government spokesman.

"It is unfortunate that Sandy Hook Partners was unable to secure a financing package that would preserve dozens of important historic structures at Fort Hancock," said Dennis R. Reidenbach, the National Park Service's northeast regional director, in a release.

Several of the project's opponents, who felt it would overcommercialize the Hook and set a precedent for private use of public lands, expressed satisfaction with the development.

"Hallelujah!" said Peter O'Such, a Fair Haven resident who closely followed the project's development for years. "For the National Park Service to say "no mas,' to quote Roberto Duran, is a milestone."

James and Judith Stanley Coleman, who headed the opposition group Save Sandy Hook, could not be reached for comment. Through a woman who answered the phone at their Middletown home, they said they felt "justified that our efforts were not in vain."

Wassel has 10 days to appeal the decision to a third-party arbitrator, Feeney said.

Wassel said he was surprised by the National Park Service's decision. He is weighing whether to appeal.

"You never expect something like this to happen," Wassel said.
Wassel proposed a mix of commercial, community, conference and educational uses for Fort Hancock, a weather-beaten hamlet of former military buildings near the tip of Sandy Hook.

For years, Wassel's detractors questioned whether he could obtain the financing for the project. After signing the lease, the National Park Service granted him six time extensions to provide the proof.

Wassel blamed the lack of financing on a drawn-out federal court case filed by Save Sandy Hook. Once Wassel prevailed in the case in December 2008, the National Park Service gave him 90 days to submit financial documents for the project's first phase.
triggerAd(2,PaginationPage,9);

In 2007, Wassel signed a separate 60-year lease for three Fort Hancock buildings — the Post Chapel, the Post Theater and a third structure — he went on to rehabilitate, said Dave Avrin, Sandy Hook's superintendent.
The 2007 lease for the three buildings, which were part of the original lease, remains in effect, Avrin said.

Despite losing his rights to the other 33 buildings, Wassel said he believes he can continue leasing the three buildings and remain financially viable.
"Our plan is to continue to operate them," Wassel said.

The National Park Service now needs to determine how to move forward with rehabilitating the buildings, a process that is only beginning, Avrin said.
"These buildings need some TLC big time," Avrin said.

Rep. Frank J. Pallone Jr., D-N.J., who is opposed to private developers leasing buildings in public parks, said he has been assured by federal officials that the National Park Service will be open to a process that would allow public entities and nonprofit organizations to play a larger role in Fort Hancock's redevelopment.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for the state, the federal government, local universities and other public entities to become engaged in the restoration of Fort Hancock," Pallone said. "It is important that any redevelopment plan does not include commercialization of our national park."

c4charlie
08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I agree with you. We do not need it commercialized or fishing access would be worse than it is today.

storminsteve
08-13-2009, 05:13 PM
The problem as I see it whenever I go there is there are a lot of buildings that need repair. So if private people won't do it, and the NPS can't seem to afford it, who will do it? IMO this guy had a golden opportunity to make money and make things better. I heard all his financing was smoke and mirrors. He never had the financial reach to complete the deal, and someone should have figured that out at the start before he wasted the park service's time.

surfwalker
08-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I followed this project the past few years as a concerned user of public access. I am positive that if this lease was approved in it's entirety, that eventually our access to these fishing grounds would have definitely been curtailed to extinction. I'm sure that they would not have let us drive around the park at all hours of the dark with commercial establishmentrs around. Public land that belongs to the public should remain that way and not be privatized, my strong opinion.

clamchucker
08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Spill at sewage plant could close Sandy Hook beach

http://www.app.com/article/20090825/NEWS/90825137/1001/rss

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS • August 25, 2009http://www.app.com/gcicommonfiles/sr/graphics/common/icon_whatsthis.gif (javascript:NewWindow(200,200,'/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=socialbookmarkshelp');)

SANDY HOOK — A chlorine spill at a sewage treatment plant on the New Jersey shore could temporarily close part of the beach at Sandy Hook.

The spill occurred Tuesday afternoon in a plant operated by the National Parks Service that serves the entire peninsula.
Parks service spokesman Brian Feeney says about 20 gallons of chlorine spilled and created a cloud of gas. Employees were evacuated and no injuries were reported.
Beachgoers at Gunnison Beach were evacuated, and Feeney said if the treatment plant is not back online by Wednesday the beach may have to be closed.

storminsteve
08-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Beachgoers at Gunnison Beach were evacuated,

Gunnison? That could be a good or bad experience for the officers called in to do the evacuation.:wow::lookhappy: :eek:

bababooey
08-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I heard the folks that hang at Gunnison tend to be more skewed toward the 50 y.o age group rather than the 20 y.o age group, Steve, with the alternate lifestyler males being the predominant group...not that there's anything wrong with that!:scared: If they asked me to do that detail I would have to ask for combat pay.

storminsteve
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Heads up for you guys who fish Sandy Hook.
I was BSing with a Park Ranger today asking him if many guys were fishing there at night. In our conversation he mentioned they changed it up for night fishing. You now have to stop at the booth at the front. They shifted the process. Stop, check in with your pass, and then continue on.
He said they will be putting up signs so that guys will know.

paco33
07-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up steve.

buckethead
07-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Be just like island beach now. Except you don't have to pay $200.:cool:

paco33
08-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Big changes down the road. I don't think I will like any of them.

SANDY HOOK ? There are changes coming to Sandy Hook. Well, maybe.

The National Park Service has hatched a trio of plans to give the Gateway National Recreation Area a makeover over the next two decades. The three visions for the popular summertime destination would potentially add new amenities by leasing public buildings for restaurants and lodging, adding campsites and increasing beach access.

But a fourth plan is also in the mix ? leave it the way it is.

Parks officials have been developing the plans since 2009, but Gateway National Recreation Area spokesman John Harlan Warren said change isn?t essential.

"We?re trying to bring as many people in the public into this discussion as possible. We want to know: What makes this park important?" Warren said. "If at the end of the day they say, ?Hey, don?t change,? then perhaps we don?t."

The three alternatives are part of a broad effort to map the future of the 26,000-acre park, which also includes space in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.

The plans would focus on three goals: improving recreation and visitor services, historical and environment conservation and bolstering aquatic elements of the park.

The first plan, "Discovering Gateway," is likely to be the most controversial. Under this proposal, several buildings in the Sandy Hook portion of the park would be earmarked for "a wide variety of potential reuses, ranging from lodging to restaurants, conference space and offices."

Jeff Tittel, director of the New Jersey Sierra Club, said the right balance needs to be struck between public and privately operated aspects of the park.

"Our biggest concern is if you lease out all of the buildings you begin restricting access to the public ?," he said. "Not everyone can afford to go to Yosemite (National Park), but we can go to Sandy Hook."

A second plan would drive resources toward restoring the park?s historic buildings, such as Fort Hancock, and bolstering conservation efforts for Sandy Hook?s flora and fauna.

"One of the lovely things about Sandy Hook is it was never developed commercially; it?s surprisingly undisturbed," Warren said. "Of course, it has a strong military history and a very interesting military history, so those things would get top priority under this alternative."

The third plan would zero in on the water surrounding the small spit of land. Ferry service would be expanded, new water recreation areas added and water trails would be created while beach conservation efforts would be stepped up.

paco33
08-09-2012, 06:37 PM
They had a meeting yesterday.

The National Park Service will conduct an informal beach meet-up from 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday in Sandy Hook for the public to take a closer look at the proposals and ask questions. Details of the plans are also available online at nps.gov/gate (http://nps.gov/gate).
New Jersey's ocean, bays, rivers, beaches, shores, and waterfronts belong to us all under the PUBLIC TRUST DOCTRINE.
NJDEP can't take them away, but a complacent public can give them up.
Fight for what is rightfully ours

storminsteve
08-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Big changes down the road. I don't think I will like any of them.

Me neither paco. Change is not good when the govt puts it in terms like this. I agree the historic buildings should be kept up.They really need to find a way to fund that. Its part of our history. There was a guy a few years ago who was going to do that, wonder what happened to him?

storminsteve
11-09-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't know how bad it is but thought maybe we could post some updates in here as any of you guys hear about them.

Monty
11-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Great idea.
Nothing official, but from what I have read online there has been nothing to indicate that it will be open again this year.
And everything on the internet is true.....:kooky:

Mike O
11-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Called the ranger station yesterday, park is closed til further notice. The ranger told me to keep calling for updates.

Monty
11-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Pic on Nov 1st
https://cgvi.uscg.mil/media/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1808736&g2_serialNumber=2

Monty
11-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Here is a link to some pics of the Hook.
The Courier Post online
http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=B3&Dato=20121103&Kategori=MULTIMEDIA02&Lopenr=311030043&Ref=PH

A sample of whats there:
http://cmsimg.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=B3&Date=20121103&Category=MULTIMEDIA02&ArtNo=311030043&Ref=PH&Item=24&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=60

surfwalker
11-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Monty, looks like that area won't be open for quite awhile. Who knows what has been unearthed there.

buckethead
11-26-2012, 01:33 PM
^ Maybe some bombs and ordnance. This was posted today by a Sandy Hook ranger -

"The Hook is NOT open to the public, including fishers, and will not be for some time. Not only is there no electricity or water or sewage services, but the hurricane has left several safety issues we must address first before we can reopen anything. We also want to have a sweep of the beaches for unexploded ordnances, which wash up after major storms like this one in former Army bases like Fort Hancock."

Monty
11-26-2012, 01:51 PM
We also want to have a sweep of the beaches for unexploded ordnances, which wash up after major storms like this one in former Army bases like Fort Hancock."
How did they loose bombs?
Where do they wash up from?
This just sounds unbelievably stupid to me.
Irresponsible.

bababooey
11-26-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't know the complete history of Sandy Hook, Monty but it was a fort for a long time. (Fort Hancock?) They did use it as an observation post during the war, I think it might of been WWII? With all the sand washed away maybe they meant to say that some bombs were uncovered. I know it sounds lame but the last thing I would want to do would bring my family there to the beach for a sunny happy day and get our feet blown up by an old grenade or something like that, no?

Monty
11-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't know the complete history of Sandy Hook, Monty but it was a fort for a long time. (Fort Hancock?) They did use it as an observation post during the war, I think it might of been WWII? With all the sand washed away maybe they meant to say that some bombs were uncovered. I know it sounds lame but the last thing I would want to do would bring my family there to the beach for a sunny happy day and get our feet blown up by an old grenade or something like that, no?

I just find it unbelievable that they buried bombs or grenades or whatever other explosive devices there were.
Its great they "sweep of the beaches for unexploded ordnances", they better if there is a chance they are there.

ledhead36
11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
^ They did a lot of bad stuff 50 years ago. you should see some of the woods back by whale beach in laurence harbor. They dumped all sorts of toxic stuff into it until the 70s. I think that is one of the reasons it is now on the epa list for cleanups. Its not the lead, its also some heavy metals like chromium and mercury. Nasty stuff. Sandy Hook was probably no different.

CharlieTuna
11-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I just find it unbelievable that they buried bombs or grenades or whatever other explosive devices there were.
Its great they "sweep of the beaches for unexploded ordnances", they better if there is a chance they are there.

Don't forget all the pirate booty and gold. Legendary.

Monty
11-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Don't forget all the pirate booty and gold. Legendary.
Pirate booty?

storminsteve
11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
^^Yeah baby I'd hit that!:drool:

Mike O
11-30-2012, 03:13 PM
If you guys and gals want to get a good perspective of what the hook looks like after Sandy check it out on google earth. remember to use the timeline tool. There is one big sandbar almost the whole length of the beach front, amazing.

njdiver
12-08-2012, 09:46 AM
By MaryAnn Spoto/The Star-Ledger
on December 03, 2012 at 7:30 AM, updated December 03, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Traffic cones block the entrances from Route 36 into the Gateway National Recreation Area, where a small sign announces the park is closed.

Occasionally, curious passersby venture beyond the yellow cones to sneak photographs, and Park Service officials usually indulge them for a few minutes before shooing them away.

That may be the best look people get at the popular landmark in Sandy Hook for some time. Hurricane Sandy left so much damage in its wake that National Park Service Officials say they are uncertain whether the recreational area visited by more than two million people each year will open next summer.

"It’s a day-by-day thing as we evaluate it," Pete McCarthy, assistant park superintendent, said one day last week. "We’re going to try to open for summer."

The 7-mile-long peninsula, dotted with historical buildings and lined with long beaches, picnic areas and multi-use paths took an especially savage blow because it is bordered by the Shrewsbury River and Raritan Bay to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.

"The problem was, we basically were attacked on two sides," McCarthy said.

A month after the storm deluged the narrow peninsula with a tidal surge more than 13 feet at mean high tide, crews are still clearing parking lots blanketed with sand. The waves may have been even higher, he said, because that measurement was taken just before the gauge broke.

Of more immediate concern to park officials are unexploded ordnance that may have been exposed when so much sand washed off the beaches, once an Army testing ground for ammunition.

Pete McCarthy, the unit coordinator of Sandy Hook for the National Park Service, said he's not sure the popular beach and recreation area in Monmouth County will reopen in time for the 2013 summer season.Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger

Four of the park’s six concession stands were damaged by floodwaters up to six feet high. So were the fire department, ranger station and theater.

Ten days after the storm, parts of Sandy Hook still had about 2 ½ feet of standing water, and weeks after the storm, crews were still pumping sand and water out of the sewage stations.

The seven-mile-long macadam and cement path popular with runners, bicyclists and rollerbladers was heaved or washed out in at least seven places because of severe erosion.

Workers are still checking the pipes that carry water throughout the peninsula for damage, and the sewage treatment is also being evaluated. McCarthy said that without a functioning sewage system, they would not even try to turn the water back on — even if the pipes weren’t damaged.

At what is known as Area C, where summer concerts are held, the 40-foot-by-16-foot stage is washed away.

"We’re still looking for it," McCarthy said. "We’re still looking for a lot of things."

Linda Slater, a spokeswoman for the National Park Service, said 500 people were assessing the damage to the beaches, historic buildings and other cultural resources.

In the end, Slater said, Sandy Hook would be among the other national parks competing for scarce federal resources to rebuild. For now, she added, there is no damage estimate.

"There’s a list of things that need to be done," she said. "We have to prioritize what needs to be done."

When park officials begin to describe the damage, they almost doesn’t know where to begin.

The ferry dock at the northern end of the peninsula was picked up by the surge and almost folded in half. At the entrance is a huge crater where there once was sand, exposing pipes.

Once the storm passed, it took crews — along with help from the U.S. Coast Guard — five days to push the mountains of sand to the side of the roads to make them passable.

Drifts of sand a quarter-mile long and nearly six-feet high ran intermittently for more than 3 miles on the main roads, McCarthy said.

When the roads were finally passable, crews came in to stabilize some of the buildings, including those on Officers Row, where porches of the former military homes sustained varying degrees of damage, from minor sagging to complete washouts.

Despite the vast amount of destruction, McCarthy remains hopeful.

"The one thing we’ve taken from this is it’s the people’s park," he said. "It still will be Gateway. It still will be Sandy Hook, but it might be changed a little."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/12/sandy_hook_may_remain_closed_n.html

DarkSkies
12-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks, as always, for the updates, NJDiver......:HappyWave:

voyager35
12-08-2012, 10:49 PM
In the end, Slater said, Sandy Hook would be among the other national parks competing for scarce federal resources to rebuild. For now, she added, there is no damage estimate.

"There’s a list of things that need to be done," she said. "We have to prioritize what needs to be done."

When park officials begin to describe the damage, they almost doesn’t know where to begin.

That is part of the problem. As far as prioritizing goes. Sandy Hook is lower on the list than some of the other federal parks. I don't see much happening until late next year.

Mike O
12-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty devastated about this news about the Hook. One of the reasons I started fishing there in the 80's was because of the unfriendly and sometimes hostile situations I've come across on and in a lot of the other Monmouth Co. shore towns, no parking, private property keep out, no access, no beach access after dark, head on parking only. And not to mention having to possibly getting your vehicle broken into while you are fishing or worse getting mugged (almost happened to me once in Asbury Park in the days of the flume) If it were not for a 4 foot gaff I use to carry when jetty hopping I might not even be writing this. Of course I was a lot younger then, but you get my drift. Sandyhook has always been a special place for me even though it might not be as productive as other places. What a drag. Oh well, like every other bad thing that happens I will just move on.

buckethead
12-11-2012, 06:05 AM
I agree Mike, Sandy Hook was the safest place to be at 2am. Never had to worry about your car being broken into. Although do you remember the burned out car that was in the 2nd parking lot about 6 years ago? It sat there for a whole winter before they got rid of it. Other than that I have never had any crime worries when fishing Sandy Hook. Now the back bay, places like Keansburg and Laurence Harbor, those are different stories. You can't keep anything nice showing in your truck when fishing there or they will take it.

storminsteve
12-11-2012, 06:12 AM
I second what buckethead says Mike. Sandy Hook has had some great fishing nights for me. Will really miss fishing there. Like you said have to move on. But it was always a safe place. Will really miss that part of it, and the nights where I got dozens of fish when the bite was good.

finchaser
12-11-2012, 08:04 AM
My neighbor works for the water company there and was asked to relocate to another federal loaction as it may never reopen at all since it was on NObama's closure list before the storm

porgy75
12-11-2012, 08:45 AM
I like that - nobama.
No change, except for the change you hear jingling in your pockets cause you are broke and the economy is down.
No love for fishermen.
No breaks for corporations especially the small businesses, Small businesses are the backbone of this country and the obama administration wants them all to pay for health care. And that is the only thing that obama has said yes to, the forcing small people to pay for health care costs for all, even the immigrants. And throwing and wasting money at the bailouts that did not work, like the insurance companies, and that solar energy company. People should have voted no to obama this last november. The novelty of having a black president is over. Now it's time to judge the guy on his record, And his record stinks. He will probably bankrupt america before his term is over. Just my opinion.

hookset
12-11-2012, 08:55 AM
We are a passive society. The best fare on TV now is vicariously watching the lives of others. People complain about MTV and Snookie type shows but the ratings say that is what people want. So the same for Obama. He will go down as one of the worst presidents in history. US voters still are not voting in numbers to show any of them really care. Look at the % of voters who actually vote in an election. Then go to other countries where they have shed bloodshed to get elections going. See that the voter turnout is closer to 100% over there.

As for Sandy hook, it will be missed. I hope we can fish there again some day. The structure, and the coves, held bait for many times during the season. The point was for migrators but the coves and bays leading to the channel held resident fish every year. Will be bummed out until they open it again. Like Mike said you have to move on and find other places.

GeoffT
12-11-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure how safe the tip of the Hook actually is. Every time I take the long walk, I feel the hair on my neck standing up. And I feel like I'm being watched, especially when I go alone. Rumors have it there's a lady ghost haunting the trails leading to the rips. :scared:

buckethead
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
My neighbor works for the water company there and was asked to relocate to another federal loaction as it may never reopen at all since it was on NObama's closure list before the storm

That's gonna suck.

Mike O
12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
All you politico's out there are delusional if you think that Sandyhook will never open again. It has to much to offer for the residents of NJ and elsewhere. How many people that enjoy the beach there in the summer months are going to want to pay 8$ a person to get on the beach like Belmar. If my math is correct that would be 24$ for a family of 4 not counting parking. And lets not forget all the "don'ts" on those beaches. No fishing, no food on the beach, no alcoholic beverages, no radio's and anything else they can think of. What about if you want to go on the beach wearing nothing but your balls, try that on any other beach in the state and they will hang you with them. I think the biggest point here is let's keep politics out of it, no one man can be responsible IF and I say IF something like that happens. And I'm pretty sure that it won't. Just my 2 cents.

Monty
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
I can't believe they would close the Hook for good. I could accept them saying it would reopen in 2014, but if they say they are closing it indefinitely I would be extremely disgusted.
Fishing is very important to me, the Hook is somewhere I have been able to go and always find solitude and water that I truly enjoy fishing.
I have so many great memories fishing there, I would be furious if they closed it permanently.
I fished the Sunday morning of the storm there. Entered the Park at 1:30 AM and was told they are closing the park at 5:00 AM and I need to be out of there by then. Went to the False Rip, 4 guys there, went past them fished for a while. Water was like a washing machine, white water, waves and some wind. The guys left around 2:30, I was alone out there and enjoying the fishing solitude. Had a solid hit Speedy's BD swimmer (cracked the plug), missed it. Then at 3:45 I caught a 32 inch Gator on an Afterhours Danny. That was it, finished fishing around 4:30, was out of the park at 5:15. For me this was a fun enjoyable fishing trip. Not a lot of fish or even a lot of action. But I got lost in the pursuit of trying to catch fish for a few hours, nothing on my mind but fishing, having fun in the wind, white water and crazy current that morning.
If they close the Hook permanently I'll fish elsewhere, but my opinion on a lot of things in this country would change big time. The Hook is an extremely important place for me. Its my favorite place.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_10_28_BF.jpg

surfwalker
12-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Like Mike O, I started doing the Hook steady in the ‘80s. He and Monty reflect on good memories from that area. I also have good (sometimes great) memories from my walks there. Each step I take there now reminds me of an earlier time, an event, an experience, a learning lesson that keeps me entertained on those hitless/fishless hours.

Remembering how at B-lot you could park 15 feet from a rock wall, cast to blues that had pinned baitfish between 2 jetties. Then they filled it in with sand.

The fishable cove that was between C-lot and the bathing beach.

Stopping at the Ranger Station to get a monthly night pass hangtag-that was free.

The present sign that says Fishing Beach used to state Fishing Beach ONLY.

The parking lot at the end of the road at F-lot and an old timer who checked your car to see if you were really gonna fish, if not, then he would tell you to move on.

The old parking lot at North Beach where the concession stands are now.

Resting in my car after walking all over on the ocean side and watching the old timers come back at 7am and pull the pop tops off can after can of beer. Listening to their stories and techniques, while I pretended to be asleep. I don’t know if they liked plugging or just loved the beer more. I kept my distance, they were to be watched at the wetline, not pestered.

Close the Park down? I don’t know, they do what they want. But I do plan on making some new memories at some of those beaches in the future.

Maybe not as frequent as once, the time isn’t there (and maybe the Hook won’t be either).

storminsteve
12-13-2012, 07:29 PM
I could accept them saying it would reopen in 2014, but if they say they are closing it indefinitely I would be extremely disgusted.
Fishing is very important to me, the Hook is somewhere I have been able to go and always find solitude and water that I truly enjoy fishing.
I have so many great memories fishing there, I would be furious if they closed it permanently.
The Hook is an extremely important place for me. Its my favorite place.

Like Mike O, I started doing the Hook steady in the ‘80s. He and Monty reflect on good memories from that area. I also have good (sometimes great) memories from my walks there. Each step I take there now reminds me of an earlier time, an event, an experience, a learning lesson that keeps me entertained on those hitless/fishless hours.

Remembering how at B-lot you could park 15 feet from a rock wall, cast to blues that had pinned baitfish between 2 jetties. Then they filled it in with sand.

The fishable cove that was between C-lot and the bathing beach.

Stopping at the Ranger Station to get a monthly night pass hangtag-that was free.

The present sign that says Fishing Beach used to state Fishing Beach ONLY.

The parking lot at the end of the road at F-lot and an old timer who checked your car to see if you were really gonna fish, if not, then he would tell you to move on.

The old parking lot at North Beach where the concession stands are now.

Resting in my car after walking all over on the ocean side and watching the old timers come back at 7am and pull the pop tops off can after can of beer. Listening to their stories and techniques, while I pretended to be asleep. I don’t know if they liked plugging or just loved the beer more. I kept my distance, they were to be watched at the wetline, not pestered.

Close the Park down? I don’t know, they do what they want. But I do plan on making some new memories at some of those beaches in the future.

Maybe not as frequent as once, the time isn’t there (and maybe the Hook won’t be either).

I agree 200% with what you both said. Monty I had some awesome nights out there. Lots of fat guys don't want to make the walk. Those are the ones that hang at Island Beach. It really does keep you in shape. The fishing back in 2010 in spring and fall was fantastic too, one of my best seasons overall. would surely be crabby if they closed it.

Surfwalker thank for sharing that. I gather that you are older than me, those memories seem like they transcend a few decades. It must have been awesome to be able to fish it during those times. Did you fish the Sea Bright wall as well?

vpass
12-13-2012, 07:46 PM
I think they were talking about closing the NOAA Lab, I can't find anything referencing the closure of the HOOK.:don't know why: I hope it no so. If it is I might start smoking that medical marijuana. It funny how they attempt to take all our access then they want to Medicate us. :bong2:

bababooey
12-13-2012, 07:50 PM
What about if you want to go on the beach wearing nothing but your balls, try that on any other beach in the state and they will hang you with them. Just my 2 cents.

Quote of the week!:laugh: :clapping:

Mike O
12-13-2012, 08:10 PM
You guys are right on with everthing you say. The old concession stand at North beach. I use to park there and walk all the way out to the original "Rip". Can't tell you how many bluefish blitzes I've had out there. When I was feeling a little lazy I would sometimes walk the trail everyone uses now to get to the old rip, the water back then came right up to the end of the trail. It was usually dead water there, but sometimes I got lucky and caught a couple of small blues there. Back then bass were few and far in between, but there were always bluefish around, although I was out there one time a saw a guy land a 54lb bass on a redfin. That fish had a head the size of a beer keg! It was a long tough walk back for him with that fish, but one I'm sure any of us would have made. I'm confident that I will be fishing there again before my ashes are sprinkled out there like I once asked my son to do when the time comes. I could not think of a better final resting place. I really love that place.

hookset
12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
the water back then came right up to the end of the trail. It was usually dead water there, but sometimes I got lucky and caught a couple of small blues there.

Do you remember when there was a salt water pond back there near the rip? This was about 15 years ago. God I love that place too.

paco33
01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Good advice mike, thanks!

there were some meetings this week

The National Park Service will hold 2 days of meetings, Wednesday, January 23rd and Thursday, January 24 at the Ocean Place Resort in Long Branch, NJ.
These meetings are open to the public.
The 20 member committee will provide recommendations for the reuse of 38 historic buildings at Fort Hancock.
Please note: Wednesday morning the committee will be on site at Fort Hancock. The public is invited to attend at 1:45 Wednesday with public comment at 4 PM; on Thursday meetings will be open from 8:30 to 5:30 with public comment at 2:00PM.

For more information visit:
www.nps.gov/gate (http://www.nps.gov/gate)
All information can be viewed by clicking on
Fort Hancock 21st Century.

cowherder
01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
It was also reported in the APP

http://www.app.com/article/20130123/NJNEWS/301230148/Future-Fort-Hancock-debated?nclick_check=1

finchaser
01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Bye Bye this was on Nobama's MPA to close 2 years ago my neighbor who works for the water company( Federal) there with others were all asked to relocate to galloway township after sandy because the end is near.

buckethead
01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
This was in www.NJ.com (http://www.NJ.com) today

the NPS said it would be some time before the beaches there open. I don't see them being open for spring. It's going to take more than that to put everything back together. jmo

SEA BRIGHT — A dredge working off of the New Jersey coastline has pulled up a load it couldn’t handle.

A piece of unexploded ordnance was found in muck sucked from the ocean floor onto the "Dodge Island," a 266-foot-long hopper dredge as the crew was finishing a day’s work, officials said.

After the find about 4 p.m. the ship was ordered to stay put about a mile off Sea Bright, by the Coast Guard who cited the explosives hazard and rough seas, officials said.

A federal explosives ordnance disposal team was being sent to the scene, officials said.

The explosive has not been identified, but "DOD (Department of Defense) says it’s something to be concerned with, and until (they arrive) we are taking the appropriate cautions based on the size of the shell and the unknown hazard," said Coast Guard spokeswoman Lt. Fannie Wilks.

Wilks would not describe the shell.

The disposal team from nearby Naval Weapons Station Earle will evaluate the ordnance, she said. Also, she said, a Coast Guard team from Sandy Hook had evacuated most of the 17 people on board and then set up a safety perimeter around the vessel.

Bombs, artillery shells, and other types of ordnance from World Wars I and II are pulled from the waters around Sandy Hook about three or four times a year, Wilks said.

Recently a fisherman pulled up a cluster of eight unexploded grenades, which he delivered to the Navy at Middletown, she said.

Before Sandy Hook was a named part of the Gateway National Recreation Area, with everything from a nude beach to nature paths, it was used as a target range in testing ordnance for the Army before World War II, said a spokesman for Naval Weapons Station Earle.

Ordnance gone astray would often land without exploding, said spokesman Mike Brady, and was covered by shifting sands on the ocean floor.

Brady believes the explosive found off Sea Bright will likely be one of those unexploded shells from the range, he said.

Hurricane Sandy, in addition to reshaping large swaths of New Jersey landscape, has also likely restructured the land underwater, he said.

"I’m sure the storm kicked up a lot more (ordnance) that had been around," said Brady. "This is our first call since after the storm. I wouldn’t be surprised if we start getting more."

ledhead36
02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Might take a long while to put things back together. Things will be a mite crowded this spring.

www.nj.com (http://www.nj.com/)
Sandy Hook getting $3.5 million to repair roads
http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.nj.com/news/2013/02/sandy_hook_getting_35_million.html/L10/736051097/StoryAd/NJONLINE/Spacer_NJ_RoS_06/Spacer_SpanMJX.html/5246646b386c455a584c6b414379322b?_RM_EMPTY_&bt=&tag0=monmouth-county&tag1=sandy-hook&tag12=blog_entry

http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/12255501-large.jpg

Sand dumped by Hurricane Sandy covers the entrance to the parking lot of the Seagulls' Nest restaurant. Noah K. Murray/The Star-Ledger
Sandy Hook is getting $3.5 million for repairs to the roads inside the popular national park in the first round of transportation funding released from the federal Hurricane Sandy aid package

U.S. Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Bob Menendez (both D-NJ) announced the allocation today as part of $4.75 million provided through the Emergency Relief for Federally Owned Roads Program of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Another $1.25 million goes to repairing roads in the Edwin B. Forsyth Wildlife Refuge in Atlantic County.

The funding is the first batch of federal transportation aid to go to Sandy Hook, which has been closed to the public since the hurricane inundated the sewerage plant, damaged underground pipes and ripped up large portions of the 7-mile multipurpose path there,

Park officials say they are trying to open Sandy Hook, which draws some 2 million visitors each year, in time for Memorial Day but noted the timing depends largely on how much money was earmarked in the Sandy aid package for repairs.

storminsteve
02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
In the star ledger yesterday
Even if the access is limited if north beach is open I will be very happy.:lookhappy:

Noah K. Murray/The Star-Ledger
A month after Hurricane Sandy struck, officials at Sandy Hook couldn't say if the popular ocean beaches there would even open this year.
Today, as crews continue cleaning up, officials said the goal is to reopen Sandy Hook which draws 2 million visitors each year this spring

A scaled-down version of the northern Monmouth County park should be open by Memorial Day, said Robert Hilton, executive director of the Jersey Shore Convention and Visitors Bureau. But the park may not have permanent restrooms or running water this season, he said.

Betsy Barrett, president of the Sandy Hook Foundation, said so far there are plans to open only three of the park's eight beaches: Beach B, North Beach and the clothing optional Gunnison Beach.

With fewer beaches open, the park will most likely have to limit the number of cars it can accommodate from about 5,000 vehicles to about 2,000 daily to avoid overcrowding, she said.

Barrett said the National Park Service, which operates Sandy Hook, may discuss with ferry operators making runs out of the Belford section of Middletown or Atlantic Highlands for New Jersey residents to reduce traffic going into the park.

Last year, ferries operated by Sea Streak and New York Waterway transported nearly 17,000 visitors to the park from Weehawken and New York City, she said.

This year is particularly important to have the park open, Barrett said, because many beach-goers may still have to avoid other hurricane-damaged beaches or they may be cash-strapped from their own storm repairs. At $20 a carload, Sandy Hook's entrance fee is still cheaper than other beaches for most families, she said.

"They?re going to be looking to Sandy Hook as their place for recreation that they never thought before," Barrett said. "It?s going to be a big deal this summer."

Pat Smith, a spokesman for New York Waterway, said, "We look forward to hearing from the National Park Service so that we can discuss possible ferry options."

Jay Cosgrove, an owner of Bahr's Landing in Highlands, said business took a slight hit since Sandy Hook has been closed. Normally, he would have had beach strollers, dog walkers, bike riders and other park users as customers these past few months, instead he?s served insurance adjusters, FEMA inspectors and volunteer beach sweepers.

He said he keeps his outside deck open only when Sandy Hook charges entrance fees from Memorial Day to Labor Day because of the crowds generated by the beaches.

"For me and our town, business is driven by Sandy Hook," said Cosgrove, whose restaurant is at the foot of the bridge across the Shrewsbury River from the park.

Monty
02-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Even if the access is limited if north beach is open I will be very happy.:lookhappy:

Me too.

ledhead36
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Noah K. Murray/The Star-Ledger
A month after Hurricane Sandy struck, officials at Sandy Hook couldn't say if the popular ocean beaches there would even open this year.
Today, as crews continue cleaning up, officials said the goal is to reopen Sandy Hook which draws 2 million visitors each year this spring

A scaled-down version of the northern Monmouth County park should be open by Memorial Day, said Robert Hilton, executive director of the Jersey Shore Convention and Visitors Bureau. But the park may not have permanent restrooms or running water this season, he said.

Betsy Barrett, president of the Sandy Hook Foundation, said so far there are plans to open only three of the park's eight beaches: Beach B, North Beach and the clothing optional Gunnison Beach.

With fewer beaches open, the park will most likely have to limit the number of cars it can accommodate from about 5,000 vehicles to about 2,000 daily to avoid overcrowding, she said.

From the NPS site.
The Sandy Hook Unit will open May 1st. Three beach areas, (B, Gunnison and North Beach) will open on Memorial Day weekend. The repairs to the wastewater treatment plant will not be finished by this date, so some beach areas may be serviced by temporary restroom facilities. The repairs to the ferry service and bike path at Sandy Hook may not be completed by Memorial Day weekend.

Ferry service that would be interesting. They did have an old ferry dock on the river side. Guess they will be disembarking at the dock near the coast guard station, east of the old pilings, if this does happen.

Mike O
03-13-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm glad that things will be opening up at the Hook. It's going to be interesting, like exploring a new beach with new sandbars and all new cuts in the bars. I for one am very excited about it. Just might be like the good old days. We will see.

buckethead
03-15-2013, 09:24 PM
It's going to be interesting, like exploring a new beach with new sandbars and all new cuts in the bars. I for one am very excited about it. Just might be like the good old days. We will see.

I don't know heard it was one long sandbar post sandy. With all the storms we have had lately it could be interesting. Maybe some new cuts I agree mike can't wait to get out there either.

buckethead
03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
The latest info about permits. They will be available at GK in Staten Island first.

The 2013 Fishing and Nature Study permits will be available at the Great Kills Ranger Station beginning March 20th. The Ranger Station will be opened Wednesdays through Sundays from 9:00 am - 4:30 pm.
Sandy Hook with the exception of a few beaches will be re-opened May 1, 2013.
Sandy Hook will sell permits at the entrance starting May 1.

hookedonbass
04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Might not be open May 1. This was in Al Ristori's column today -

"Riley stopped by Sandy Hook and found that the proposed May 1 opening of the National Seashore Park isn't going to happen."

Monty
04-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Might not be open May 1. This was in Al Ristori's column today -

"Riley stopped by Sandy Hook and found that the proposed May 1 opening of the National Seashore Park isn't going to happen."

Darn....thought it was to good to be true.....

finchaser
10-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Remember unlike Island Beach which is a State Park. Sandy Hook is Federal and closed until further notice.

madcaster
10-01-2013, 04:08 PM
closed in ...you can't get past the front gate closed ????

DarkSkies
10-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Fin and I have a few friends who work there.
Just talked to one of our friends today.

The barricades are already set up, no entry.
The employees were told about the possibility ahead of time...but like many of us, were hoping it wouldn't happen.
The friend I spoke to today, has been putting in a lot of extra hours helping to prep the barricade areas and the other things that needed attention pre-closure.
That's good, because once the park is closed, he gets no paycheck...no unemployment....etc...as he related it to me, it's most likely short-term, and many of the park employees will not be paid for any time off.

After about a week, some of them will begin to suffer and feel financial pain.
Most of these folks do not have the great benefits and perks that some of our state and municipal employees have....

Therefore, we are all hoping they can iron this out and get these folks back to work quickly....these federal employees didn't do anything to cause the current budget crisis, and it isn't fair they should have to suffer for it.....Just my opinion,.......

Thoughts and prayers that these people can get back to work and doing their jobs soon. :thumbsup:

storminsteve
10-01-2013, 08:01 PM
THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad: :don't know why:

fishinmission78
10-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I used to fish up there when the fishing was better. Sandy Hook was closed for a few days in August 2011 due to sewage contamination from one of the storms.
I think it was also closed in the winter of 95, about 3 weeks from the storms. Hoping all the people get back to work soon.

fishinmission78
10-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Found this, it was the winter of 1995

US government shutdown closes parks, monuments

Published: October 1, 2013 Updated 7 minutes ago
2013-10-02T00:17:39Z
By KATHY MATHESON and MARK SCOLFORO The_Associated_Press

PHILADELPHIA ? Visitors arrived to find "CLOSED" signs at the Statue of Liberty, the Smithsonian and other parks and historic sites across the country. Callers looking for help from the government reached only voicemail. And federal employees were left to wonder when they would return to work.

The first government shutdown in 17 years took hold Tuesday in ways large and small.About 800,000 federal employees were sent home ? a number greater than the combined U.S. workforces of Target, General Motors, Exxon and Google.

"After next week, if we're not working, I'm going to have to find a job," said Robert Turner, a building mechanic at the Smithsonian's American History museum in the nation's capital. He was called in for part of the day to take out the trash, turn off the water and help close up the place.

In New York, tourists who had hoped to see the Statue of Liberty were instead offered an hour harbor cruise."There has to be better ways to run the government than to get to a standstill like this," said Cheryl Strahl, a disappointed visitor from Atascadero, Calif. "Why take it out on the national parks?"

The government closings did not stop the launch on Tuesday of the enrollment period for the online insurance marketplaces established under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul ? the program at the very heart of the dispute that produced the shutdown.

Anglers headed to the highly anticipated first day of the fall fishing season on North Carolina's Outer Banks found they could not drive onto the beach at Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

Dozens of goats were taken off ivy-eating duty at Fort Hancock, a recreation area in Sandy Hook, N.J.

A KKK rally planned for the Gettysburg battlefield in Pennsylvania this weekend was canceled.

"It's a terrible thing to hold the national parks hostage to bickering parties," Johannson said. "This is really sad. People have been saving to come here. It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience."In Utah, rafting outfitters were not allowed on major rivers, and the state's five national parks closed during what is normally a busy time of year."We're dealing with a broken system, a broken Congress," said John Wood, president of Holiday River Expeditions. "They couldn't be doing more to run me out of businessScolforo reported from Harrisburg, Pa. Associated Press writers Thomas J. Sheeran in Valley View, Ohio; Felicia Fonseca in Flagstaff, Ariz.; Mitch Weiss in Charlotte, N.C.; Jill Zeman Bleed in Little Rock, Ark.; Brian Bakst in St. Paul, Minn.; Brett Zongker, Stephen Ohlemacher and Jessica Gresko in Washington; Marcia Dunn in Cape Canaveral, Fla.; Paul Foy in Salt Lake City; and Joseph B. Frederick in New York contributed to this report.

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/10/01/2715547/us-government-shutdown-starts.html#storylink=cpy

bababooey
10-01-2013, 08:50 PM
The government closings did not stop the launch on Tuesday of the enrollment period for the online insurance marketplaces established under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul ? the program at the very heart of the dispute that produced the shutdown.

Dozens of goats were taken off ivy-eating duty at Fort Hancock, a recreation area in Sandy Hook, N.J.

A KKK rally planned for the Gettysburg battlefield in Pennsylvania this weekend was canceled.

Seems like it's the Dems fault with the obamacare crisis. Anyone find it tragic that the KKK rally was cancelled? I thought by this day and age they would find some way to prevent them. Stupid rednecks. Freedom of speech is one thing but the KKK is just evil.

ledhead36
10-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Thought it was interesting that the priorrity for sandy hook was taking the goats off of ivy eating duty. lol

finchaser
10-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Yep and it's still on Obamas list of parks to permanently close down. My friend works for the water company there and was asked to think about relocation to another facility. That piece of sh_t should burn in hell with his heath care program for ruining this once great country.

surfwalker
10-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Looking at my log, it shows that Sandy Hook was also closed for budget cuts back in early October, 1990, I was turned away. It musta been short lived, because I could get in the park a few days later.

Sometimes I am just amazed at what goes on in this country, especially in these so called sophisticated years. Here's that fine line again, extreme or just plain stupid.

Pebbles
10-02-2013, 08:16 PM
What do you expect from republicans! They just want people to go bankrupt from healthcare costs, while they keep putting money in their own pockets. What a wonderful world we live in!!!

finchaser
10-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Pebbles , it obvious you voted for him and his lies and taxes hidden in the Obama care my premiums have already risen to conform and I may be taxed because I have good health care.
to him:2flip::2flip:

Monty
10-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Looking at my log, it shows that Sandy Hook was also closed for budget cuts back in early October, 1990, I was turned away. It musta been short lived, because I could get in the park a few days later.

Sometimes I am just amazed at what goes on in this country, especially in these so called sophisticated years. Here's that fine line again, extreme or just plain stupid.

:HappyWave:
I'm going to go with stupid. Just too much stupidity and selfishness now a days.
Unreal stupidity in both parties.

J Barbosa
10-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Pebbles,

I strongly believe everyone needs health insurance but....

I'm not affiliated with either political party but I am a medical billing manager for a small company. We provide services to around 100 doctors. I've spent a bunch of time trying to understand all of the changes yet still find myself very confused.

What's clear to me is that the healthcare law raises costs for everyone including the very young like myself in order to help subsidize those that don't work or are working at McDonalds in their forties flipping burgers.

The math counts on a bunch of young and healthy uninsured Americans to join and pay inflated premiums for very basic policies.

The only people who will see a benefit from this law is those who rely on the government for assistance.

I wish these exchanges offered good insurance but after day two these just look to be highly stripped down plans at a moderately subsidized cost.

If you want the truth from a non biased source check the 370 page "primer" Merrill Lynch released today. If anyone wants to read it but doesn't have access PM me your email and I'll send you it.

xtreme_visions
10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
What they need to do is stop giving money and free housing to crackheads and lazy bums. That will fix everything. Arm yourself and get ready because this country is getting uglier by the day.

finchaser
10-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Lets not forget the billions that go to other countries including Japan while seniors here go hungry like I said he's a piece of sh_t destroying a once great country

storminsteve
10-03-2013, 07:05 PM
What they need to do is stop giving money and free housing to crackheads and lazy bums. That will fix everything. Arm yourself and get ready because this country is getting uglier by the day.

Agreed, one of the only countries in the world where the criminals have more rights than the victims.
So who wants to park in Sea Bright and walk north in the park. If we get 30 guys together do you think they can arrest us?

surferman
10-03-2013, 07:23 PM
You might get arrested if you did that Steve. Didn't someone say something about guards at the entrance?
Hatteras is closed too. Here is an e-mail I got. In NJ I think Holgate drive on access is shut down too.

Today, October 1st is a sad day in America as our elected representatives have all failed us miserably, resulting in the Federal Government being shut down. Residents and visitors now face the consequences of our government's inaction. This means the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area is completely closed.Darrell Echols, Deputy Superintendent of the Outer Banks Group stated what has happened to The Island Free Press:National Park Service staffers came to work this morning to secure and close down all facilities and grounds on the seashore and the other parks in the Outer Banks Group - Wright Brothers National Monument and Fort Raleigh National Historic Site.When their work is done, 146 employees of the Outer Banks Group will be furloughed, while 13 will continue working to ensure public safety. Residents and visitors can expect wide-ranging consequences. They include:*By 7 a.m. all ramps on the seashore - on the Oceanside and the Soundside were chained.*All visitor centers and maintenance and administrative facilities are closed.*The road to the Bodie Island Lighthouse will be blocked. The Lighthouse Road in Buxton will be blocked just beyond Flowers Ridge Road.*All ORV permit offices will be closed.*All parking areas on the Soundside and the Oceanside will be closed and secured - including facilities at Coquina Beach, Ocracoke Day Use Area, Canadian Hole, Kite Point, the Frisco Bathhouse, and Sandy Bay day use area. Also closed and secured will be all parking areas at various Oceanside ramps on Hatteras and Ocracoke.*Campers will have 48 hours after today at 6 p.m. to clear the campgrounds.*Commercial operations within the seashore will also close, including the Avon Pier, Oregon Inlet Fishing Center, and businesses that offer attractions such as horseback riding on the beach. The Fishing Center will have until 6 p.m. Thursday to close down.*The Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum, a state-owned facility on park land, will remain open.*The three airstrips in the park area will be closed.*All National Park Service websites will be closed down, and visitors to the sites will get a message about the shutdown.Although these restrictions will shut down ORV access to the seashore, pedestrian access will be allowed in areas such as the Oceanfront and Oceanside houses in the villages.However, access to either the Sound or Ocean beaches by parking along Highway 12 right-of-way and walking in to kiteboard, surfboard, fish, or surf will also be prohibited.For all practical purposes, access to the Sound and the Ocean will be allowed only from private land.Echols said all of the park must be closed or secured by noon today.Thirteen park employees will remain on the job, including nine law enforcement rangers, a public affairs specialist, two water treatment plant operators, and one person who cares for the Ocracoke ponies. Paul Stevens, the Chief Law Enforcement Ranger for the Outer Banks Group, will be the incident commander.Now that the government shutdown has happened this morning, it's anyone's guess how long it will last. If this stubbornness from the President of the U.S. on down continues the government & CHNSRA will remained closed.

finchaser
10-04-2013, 11:49 AM
you will be arrested

SharkHart
11-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Who can tell this googan what time the night pass kicks in? i sorta think u can fish to 9pm without it?

storminsteve
11-01-2013, 06:54 PM
sharkhart it was 9pm until yesterday oct 31. Now it's 8pm. Don't get caught in the park without a permit after dark they are pretty aggressive about ticketing. They used to be a lot more lenient but I guess with Sandy damage and all they need the money.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?45-Sandy-Hook-IBSP-Info-NJ-Fishing-regulations-Violations-Reporting-Info
Fishing parking permits utilized at Sandy Hook Unit authorize access during the following times:
April 1 to October 31 10:00 PM until 5:00 AM
 November 1 to March 31 8:00 PM until 5:00 AM

buckethead
11-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I believe you can also walk on and get in for free. I think that applied to the night as well. Not completely sure about that.

folks hardly ever do it. You also used to be able to park in sea bright and the something fishy lot. They are ticketing cars who do that now. Go to Quick chek up the hill and get the money order. Best $50 you will ever spend.

buckethead
11-15-2013, 11:18 AM
In case anyone didn't yet know the false hook has been closed indefinitely. I asked the security guard there what that meant. He said at least through the winter. It will be hard to sneak in this time. If you can bypass the webbed security fence there are guards in trucks 24/7 that will chase you out. The indignities that surf fishermen have to go through just to be able to fish the surf are getting worse every year.
Things are nothing like they used to be. Does anyone remember fishing from the Sea Bright wall? Those were the days.

jigfreak
11-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Things are nothing like they used to be. Does anyone remember fishing from the Sea Bright wall? Those were the days.

Thanks for ruining my day bucket.:(
I haven't fished the hook in ages. Mostly because it has gone downhill. The cuts and points are nowhere like they used to be. Check out this pic I found on the net. SH looks nothing like that now, but it used to.

jigfreak
11-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Seabright wall that was some of the best fishing up north. When the herring came in the fish would be within casting range and you could catch real fish, 25# and over. Back then when you got a 30" fish there was no internet back slapping or "nice fish!!!!" like you see today. A 30" fish was a baby and something you would not look for recognition for or congratulate yourself for on a video weigh in. The guys at Giglios would laugh if you posted something like that.

When the herring run was on there would be scores of nice fish landed and weighed at Giglios. The fish had to be 30lbs to be praise-worthy. Those were the days all right. I miss them.

VSdreams
11-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the update bucket and jigfreak for sharing the memories of the sea bright wall. That must have been something. I haven't been fishing for as long as you guys and sure do appreciate you telling it like it was back then.
Guess the sandy hook crowd will not be a crowd any more.

finchaser
11-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Live lined many a 20, 30,and 40 pound bass off the wall in the 70 's and 80's on live bunker we bought at Bahr,s landing

cowherder
11-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Awesome recollections of the old times thank you for sharing.

DarkSkies
01-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Just reported by Finchaser, and originally relayed to the fishing clubs by Sudsy....

the False Hook is allegedly going under the jurisdiction of Homeland security because of the proximity to the shipping lanes.
Something about "possible exposure of cargo ships to potential terrrorist actions"

I don't have the whole story yet, but if true it's....
1. Unnecessary
2. Grandstanding
3. Completely unfair to anyone who fishes that area....that area is as key to North Jersey fishing, as Montauk, is to Long Island fishing.......

DarkSkies
01-10-2014, 12:11 PM
I don't know how we'll be able to fight or protest this, folks...but if there is a way to do it, we should......
Please keep us posted with updates, if anyone becomes aware of them.....thanks.....

This is another nail in the coffin for NJ beach and fishing access.

J Barbosa
01-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Makes no sense at all.

What are we going to stand on land with an RPG?

Wouldn't boaters be the real terror threat?

Monty
01-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Absolutely true, unreal stupid.
What are they going to do close the complete end of the hook down?
What about boats? Way more dangerous than what one person can carry, or even 10 people.
Makes me *ucking sick.

Makes no sense at all.

What are we going to stand on land with an RPG?

Wouldn't boaters be the real terror threat?

ledhead36
01-11-2014, 10:09 AM
What about boats? Way more dangerous than what one person can carry, or even 10 people.
Makes me *ucking sick.

the boats would be the biggest risk to attacking a ship. I think that was what happened in Yemen about 10 years ago when those servicemen were killed when that suicide bomber boat made a course for a navy ship. The stupidity of our govt and the decisions it makes never fail to amuse me. We should contact Christie and get some signatures together.

storminsteve
01-11-2014, 10:13 AM
I can't believe this!!!!!! What effing morons they are!!!!!! Set up a petition I'll sign it. Organize a group of fishermen to go there and protest with pickets I'll do that too. Dark we can't let this happen. Might as well give up fishing if it does. If anyone has a plan lets here it I'm in.:kicknuts:
Do they even have the power to do something like that?

bababooey
01-11-2014, 11:25 AM
What are they going to do close the complete end of the hook down?

Do they even have the power to do something like that?

It's a federal park. The feds have more power than they would compared to a park like Island Beach where the state would have some say. Somewhere down the line the issue of public trust should be brought up. I honestly don't think you would get a group of fishermen out there to protest with signs but I could be wrong. If they did do this it could be like the Earle Naval pier with restrictions to all but cargo and navy ships. Shades of Great Caesars Ghost looks like predictions from Orwell's 1984 have finally arrived and the gov't now does what it pleases without feedback from the electorate.

surfwalker
01-11-2014, 09:34 PM
They (whoever THEY are) would love to get rid of the fishers at the Hook, especially at night. Makes me sick.

Blazin420
01-12-2014, 11:34 AM
If this is true its a HUGE hit for us surfcasters!!! I belive it can and probably will happen..Such BS that they would do this...Its a sad/tuff time for us surfcasters..between the beach replenishment project that are gonna destroy jetty country,the areas that have become "restricted"/private propety and now this...Makes me sick what these A-HOLES are doing to our beaches for no reason other than the almighty $$$$$$...Worst part is even if we (fisherman)try to do something about...At least i feel, not 1 of those jerks in the position to do anything will even listen! Its a real shame!!!

fishinmission78
01-12-2014, 02:44 PM
They (whoever THEY are) would love to get rid of the fishers at the Hook, especially at night. Makes me sick.

If this is true its a HUGE hit for us surfcasters!!! I belive it can and probably will happen..Such BS that they would do this...Its a sad/tuff time for us surfcasters..between the beach replenishment project that are gonna destroy jetty country,the areas that have become "restricted"/private propety and now this...Makes me sick what these A-HOLES are doing to our beaches for no reason other than the almighty $$$$$$...Worst part is even if we (fisherman)try to do something about...At least i feel, not 1 of those jerks in the position to do anything will even listen! Its a real shame!!!

Don't fish up there much anymore, used to make the drive a lot in the 90's. Some of the best fishing is right. 30lb bass were caught up there and the highlands bridge wich you cant even fish off now. Sucks.
If they really do this it will cost several million for a secure installation if it's done homeland security style. Don't know how and where they plan but there will have to be some public hearings first. We should ask for help on all the websites and try to get fishermen all over the state to rally. I bet if they are awarding contracts you can follow the money trail and see that its prob connected to the family or friend of one of the politicians who approves it. We should fight this. Even if we lose it will set a precedent for the future.

hookset
01-12-2014, 03:24 PM
If this is true it might as well be the end of the world. Look for the martians to invade us next. We can't let this happen. Petitions, letters, etc post up and I'll send it. Just let me know and I'm in.

Monty
01-12-2014, 04:01 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think it can't happen.
It makes ZERO sense.
Boats should not be allowed in the water before this should even be considered.
Boats are 10,000 times more dangerous to homeland security than any one or 20 people out there.

Whoever suggested this should be exiled from this country because it is stupid, ridicules and takes away part of our freedom for no reason.

If this is true it might as well be the end of the world. Look for the martians to invade us next. We can't let this happen. Petitions, letters, etc post up and I'll send it. Just let me know and I'm in.

storminsteve
02-07-2014, 01:08 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think it can't happen.
It makes ZERO sense.
Whoever suggested this should be exiled from this country because it is stupid, ridicules and takes away part of our freedom for no reason.

Agreed, and we won't be able to take awesome shots like this anymore. Losing that fishing could be one of the worst things to happen to nj fishermen in 2014. I hope someone has a change of heart on this. Or at least considers the fact that surf fishermen really present no threat. If there was any danger of terrorist attacks from land it would have happened already.

Monty
02-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Agreed, and we won't be able to take awesome shots like this anymore. Losing that fishing could be one of the worst things to happen to nj fishermen in 2014. I hope someone has a change of heart on this. Or at least considers the fact that surf fishermen really present no threat. If there was any danger of terrorist

The false hook is currently open, I talked with a ranger from there last week.

finchaser
02-07-2014, 05:00 PM
It's being closed and taken over by homeland security one the guy's in our club was at the meeting

Monty
02-07-2014, 05:20 PM
It's being closed and taken over by homeland security one the guy's in our club was at the meeting
Did they say how much area back there will be closed? Just the false hook or that complete end area, encompassing tbe trail and real rip area.

finchaser
02-07-2014, 06:35 PM
your super secret hot spot wasn't mentioned but I would think it would got there

Monty
02-07-2014, 08:44 PM
your super secret hot spot wasn't mentioned but I would think it would got there

Well if they close the False Rip for "security" then it only makes sense to close the last parking lot, the fishermans trail, that whole area from the coast guard to the north beach and any recreational boat entering or exiting the bay should be blown to smithereens. Then the area will be secure.

This country that we so called the greatest in the world is being flushed down the toilet by these corrupt, self serving government officials.
I'm sick of paying taxes that support lazy *ss unemployed low lifes and at the same time getting screwed out of our freedoms.
Pay for/subsidize their health care, kiolive in a country where illegal aliens seem to be treated better than hard working citizens.
Still cannot believe how much $$ is being spent to cover the jettys and build up beaches. Killing everything they bury, and a waste $$ as mother nature will just move the sand. Common sense is build a sea wall.

porgy75
04-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Live lined many a 20, 30,and 40 pound bass off the wall in the 70 's and 80's on live bunker we bought at Bahr,s landing

Wow that must have been cool! Does anyone know the spring hours at sandy hook? I was going to get the pass and wondered what the hours are. Thanks

hookset
04-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Porgy you can go in the park from 5am to 10pm without a night pass. That's as of now. From 10pm to 5am you have to have one or you will be ticketed. You can get a night pass right at the office when you drive in, check or money order. During the day they might take cash, not sure of that.
I believe as of Memorial Day the hours will contract to 5am to 8pm. There is also a thread here at the top of the page with all the sandy hook info. Hope that helps.

hookedonbass
05-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Don't know if this is the right thread but thought one of you guys might know. Today on the bayside of sandy hook I saw these yellow barges and yellow mooring buoys. Are they dredging sandy hook bay or was that stuff just parked there during the storm to go back out for dredging now that it's calmer? thank you

finchaser
05-02-2014, 01:40 PM
beach replenishment I believe

buckethead
05-02-2014, 01:58 PM
I saw the same equipment the other day. I agree with finchaser they probably put it there for safety and as a possible staging area.

Blazin420
05-02-2014, 01:59 PM
WTG Jigfreak..Im contemplating hitting outfront after work tonight..Gonna be plugging..Thinking maybe some bass cashing in on those broke up clams in the wash..we shall see...Plus got some new pluggage i wanna try out..any of you guys no if i can by the night pass at the hook after 5pm wont get down till around 730...I no its open till 10 but i tend to fish well past 10

hookset
05-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Nice scores chas and jig. Jig wtg on the releases. blazin don't know if you fish sandy hook a lot so here goes. Since sandy they moved the guard shack to the front. New brick bldg. on the left by the toll barriers. It used to be that you needed a check or money order to buy the pass. Now in the daytime you can buy the pass with cash. Think that ends at dusk or with the end of day shift change. So either at 5:30 or so. I could be wrong on that. If your going down there 7:30 you prob need to bring a money order. Can get from quik chek on the hill. Check out the new blond hottie who works quik chek at night she is an 8 out of 10 good eye candy. Hope this helps and tight lines.

Blazin420
05-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Haha thanks Hookset ill get a MO and check her out..

VSdreams
05-31-2014, 05:26 PM
Just a heads up i was up at the hook today and they said the seagulls nest will be closed. There will be vendors in the lot and they have some trash containers there which is a god send.

buckethead
06-07-2014, 06:08 PM
fyi sandy hook north beach was closed as of last night. Plover nesting season. Will re-open sometime in august.

hookset
06-18-2014, 04:26 PM
^^^^^ I know I saw that it really sucks they give these birds a few months to grow and in the meantime we have no access.
I was in sandy hook last night and whew the rangers are tough. I saw they had a car pulled over and guy was out against the car. Looked like an arrest maybe for drugs or something. You can drink on the beaches there but don't get caught drinking and driving. Some of them can be pr*cks and will come down hard on you.

DarkSkies
06-19-2014, 08:56 AM
^ Hook, I respect your right to free speech and your specific opinion, and will and continue to defend the right to free speech on this site. :thumbsup:
That being said, maybe some are not aware of all the danger that our LE people face out there. It's easy to make jokes about cops who have nothing to do but eat donuts. In suburban settings that may be partially true.

Between finchaser's network and the folks we know, we have several contacts who work in Sandy Hook, several members here, and several members on this board who are LE, one of whom I have been lifelong friends with. Let me tell you, the jobs and tasks they do are not easy. I have heard enough tales of drug and gang violence in Essex county to make me glad I never decided to take the LE path.

Even Sandy Hook, which looks relatively quiet, is not without its problems....

I also remember times 15-20 years ago when enforcement was lax....
Like the time a burned out shell of a car sat in an entrance parking lot for over 6 months....and local kids used to come in at night to party and sometimes vandalize or steal stuff from fishermen vehicles.....

There may be a new administration in effect...because I haven't seen those abuses in many years.....
They do seem tougher...I'll give you that......
A few weeks ago they stopped and questioned me about a license plate light....
Was this a problem for me? Absolutely not......I should have had that light working, even though I was not aware of it...my responsibility...they were only doing their job...

I would rather have the rather strict enforcement code they follow now...
Than have to deal with some of the lax or selective enforcement codes folks are complaining about at Island Beach State Park......

I believe you can drink at Sandy Hook,
but don't drink and drive.....
And don't think you're going to get away with smoking pot at the beach either....
I saw them haul a fisherman away one time....didn't realize why...but later found out because he had pot in his tackle box and was getting high on the beach in full view of others....

I realize some folks may think I'm a prude for writing this.....I hope not....because at one time I lived the sex and drugs and rock and roll lifestyle...:plastered:..and drank till I passed out or puked on myself.....I'm not against the free choice of any one out there to make those same stupid mistakes I did......;)

**Just don't do it in Sandy Hook...because they WILL catch you.......
And lock you up.

To anyone who thinks the Rangers are tough, just take yourself back to the time when that burned out car was in that parking lot...kids partying in the park at night all over......
And ask yourselves...which do you prefer.....
Then...
or Now......?

I'm happy with the enforcement the way it is now....I feel safer because of it.....
And I thank all our LE out there, both members and not.....for all they do to keep safe...."protect and serve".....You wouldn't believe some of the hassles these guys have to put up with.......

I thought about going into detail on that....
Probably better not to.... out of respect to our LE members.....

Needless to say, the jails at Sandy Hook are sometimes full...on weekends...with people whose behavior got out of control....and needed to be locked up...for their safety and that of the general public......

Thanks for all they do....:clapping: :HappyWave:
**And if you're in Sandy Hook at night.....all you better be doing is fishing...because if you're not....they will find ya....:thumbsup:

Monty
06-19-2014, 09:53 AM
I am of the opinion the Rangers do a decent job at the Hook. If you speed, you should be pulled over. If you are breaking the law, you should be arrested. If you do not show respect for the Ranger or resest arrest you should have your head bashed in or limb broke. They are doing their jobs. And frankly, society is out of control and needs a correction.

buckethead
06-19-2014, 10:50 AM
I They are doing their jobs. And frankly, society is out of control and needs a correction.

Agreed. Society is way out of control. Too many folks think they are entitled to traipse on the rights and good times of others. Seabright river fishing is one thing that comes to mind. I too support the police at Sandy Hook and want to thank them for their great job. I also remember that car, DS. Actually I think it sat in that lot for over 6 months. They told me it was because of the investigation but it made the park as a whole look bad. Glad things are different now.

fishinmission78
06-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Hookset you're lucky to have cops like that up there. The park police at IBSP have no toughness. True they will ticket you if speeding. That seems to be their prime directive. OTOH there is almost an anything goes policy when it comes to park use. You are not supposed to be in the fishing areas if you are not fishing. Some people really take advantage of this. Take the guy and his wife and kids who always come to the beach. They bring one or two poles and they then are able to get away from the crowds at the bathing beaches. As long as you have one pole and its out the police will not hassle these people. Meanwhile they never fish. A lot of them have figured out its cheaper to buy the season fishing pass than the daily swimming pass. So many take advantage its not funny.
And the place is overrun by people who spend their entire vacations there. I understand a day at the beach or even a weekend. But some of these are living at the beach. No problem for me if they are not in the fishing area. The problem is they ofen set up in a prime spot without knowing it. I don't know how many of you really know island beach but there are only so many cuts and holes. When the winnebago warriors take up half of them that makes me mad. I so wish our police would be as tough as you say the sandy hook ones are. Its one of the reasons I try to stay out of the park on weekends.

hookedonbass
10-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Just a heads up for the boat guys. Read on the internet that you can't crab or fish from a boat at Spermacetti or Horseshoe Cove. Something about a marine sanctuary there.
http://www.nps.gov/gate/parkmgmt/upload/2014-Compendium-Aug_Update.pdf , bottom of page 9.

cowherder
05-28-2015, 08:45 AM
hear ye hear ye! North beach CLOSED till August! Hate those damn plovers!

hookset
07-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Heads up just read this on one of the news feeds-

2 U.S. Coast Guard bases on lockdown
Posted: Jul 17, 2015 3:11 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 17, 2015 3:51 PM EDT

Two U.S. Coast Guard facilities in the New York area were placed on lockdown Friday afternoon due to unspecified threats, officials said.

Coast Guard Sector New York, at Fort Wadsworth on Staten Island, New York, and Coast Guard Station Sandy Hook, at Fort Hancock in Highlands, New Jersey, are on lockdown.

Heavily armed NYPD officers set up a checkpoint on the approach to the outbound Outerbridge Crossing, which connects Staten Island to New Jersey. The officers appeared to be checking vehicles that were heading to New Jersey.

Fort Wadsworth and Fort Hancock are open to the public as part of the National Park Service' Gateway National Recreation Area.

Armed Coast Guard police officers could be seen patrolling outside Sector New York's buildings.

It is not clear if Coast Guard Station New York, a small-boat station less than a mile away from Fort Wadsworth, was also locked down.

Police officers could also been seen driving around the parking lot of the Staten Island Mall.

Officials did not reveal the nature of the treat.

The lockdown comes a day after a gunman killed four Marines at a military facility in Tennessee. Federal authorities are investigating that shooting as an act of terrorism.

surferman
07-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Thats crazy. Have never seen anything like that in CMC.

cowherder
08-25-2015, 08:41 PM
FYI Sandy Hook beach D was closed down due to high bacteria today. I think that's close to Gunnison. Wonder why that happened?

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2015/08/jersey_shore_beach_closed_for_high_bacteria_levels .html#incart_most-read_shore_article

jigfreak
08-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Maybe there was a sausage fest last nite from the gunnison rainbow crew and too many coney island whitefish were swimming in the surf zone.

hookedonbass
08-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Man just the thought of that is GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!:upck:

bababooey
08-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Which part grosses you out? The idea that there is funny business at sandy hook at night or the idea that there are the whitefish in the water. Coney island whitefish have been a staple of NJ shore experience since I was a kid.:wow:

porgy75
10-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Read on the internet that part of Sandyhook is closing today for dredging. Is it just the area where the false hook is? Will there be any other blockages? thanks

hookedonbass
10-30-2015, 09:07 PM
I know a guy who works there on a seasonal basis. He said they are closing the north beach and falsehook area and will have it closed off on both access sides. Don't quote me on that exactly. He was pretty sure that the rest of the hook would be open.

storminsteve
10-31-2015, 11:17 AM
Yeah fencing is up. first the plovers and now this. BOHICA!

storminsteve
06-03-2016, 11:26 PM
It's that time again, the FH is closed. Plovers take over.:burn:

lostatsea
07-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Too much poop in the water!
http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2016/07/sandy_hook_beach_closed_for_high_bacterial_levels. html

finchaser
07-07-2016, 05:59 PM
God bless NY open those sewers after a heavy rain save money been going on for years

buckethead
07-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Some of the towns along the Raritan Bay Shore have been known to do that too. That's why I stopped fishing there.

seamonkey
10-24-2016, 11:23 AM
A few buds were up at Sandy Hook. I think it was last Wednesday and they said about 9 cars and trucks got broken into. Just a heads up guys, be careful out there at night. Lots of strange things happen in the dark.

jigfreak
10-26-2016, 08:22 AM
It used to be a lot safer until they made the ranger cuts. That's why I rarely fish or get the night pass up there.

storminsteve
01-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Heads up, case anyone fishing today-

"Navy to Conduct Controlled Detonation at Sandy Hook

Naval Weapons Station Earle’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team is scheduled to conduct a controlled detonation Saturday morning of unexploded military ordnance that recently washed ashore at Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area.

The detonation may cause ground shaking and considerable noise coming from the park. This noise may be louder and travel farther during overcast weather.

As a safety precaution, members of the general public will not have access to the park until 1 p.m.

The mission of EOD Mobile Unit 12, Detachment Earle is to recover and render safe unexploded ordnance. As the area's closest Mobile EOD team, they routinely respond to reports of ordnance washing ashore at the park.

“Unexploded ordnance are not uncommon at Gateway’s Sandy Hook Unit. Not only was Fort Hancock an active military base until 1974, but this site was also the proving ground of the U.S. Army from 1874 until 1919,” said Jen Nersesian, Gateway’s superintendent. “Public safety is our first concern, which is why we are closing the park during the detonation.”

hookedonbass
04-26-2017, 04:04 PM
They are paving many of the SH parking lots. Had a talk with the foreman today. Will try to get done by memorial day. He said they would be doing it for a few months. Access is restricted while paving.

VSdreams
05-18-2017, 10:20 AM
FYI went out to bug light the other day it is is closed. Talked to a ranger. Told me it is because of fishermen abuse.