PDA

View Full Version : Sandy....the Ordinary Heroes of Hurricane Sandy........

DarkSkies
11-11-2012, 07:08 PM
There are many ways to define a hero.....

From Dictionary.com....

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hero
he·ro

   /ˈhɪəroʊ/ Show Spelled[heer-oh] Show IPA
noun, plural he·roes; for 5 also he·ros. 1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble (http://stripersandanglers.com/browse/noble) qualities.

2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model (http://stripersandanglers.com/browse/model) or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

DarkSkies
11-11-2012, 07:31 PM
I think, sometimes, when looking at heroes, we tend to think of people who have sacrificed their lives.....
That's one way of looking at it....

I also read where some are not comfortable with the hero designation unless there was a great personal sacrifice...

The recent events after Sandy have caused me to look at a lof of things differently....
It has clarified some things for me, and shown me that some have priorities that cause them to act this way, because of who they are.,......

Yet there is no praise, or often a feeling that it's not deserved, unless they saved a child from a burning building....

And I think there are others who perform extraordinary acts in times of crisis, and should be recognized or acclaimed......

So if you end up in this thread.....you may say you don't deserve it.....but maybe you do.......

And thanks to all, who go out of their way, to help others......:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
11-11-2012, 07:40 PM
The Military Personnel, Law Enforcement, Fire, Emergency Crews, and First Responders......

For all you have done, and continue to do to protect our citizens, we thank you.....:thumbsup:

Health and Medical Personnel

Additionally.....
The town and municipal workers.....some might feel the work you are doing with the cleanup is part of your job, but I feel differently....we need everyone who is now working to keep working their hardest....and we thank you for your work as well....

DarkSkies
11-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Volunteers...the Red Cross, the Christian Ministries, and the Amish Congregants and Missionaries who are now in the worst areas, freely giving of their time, helping one family at a time, make some sense of this disorganized chaos and living conditions.......

And anyone else who volunteers their time......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DarkSkies
11-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I have a lot more to add.....

Some folks I know may even recognize their names, or names of those they know, in this thread.....I believe in these trying times, they all deserve some kind of recognition......

If you have someone you know and feel deserves recognition, feel free to post a bit in this thread....thanks.....

**(and please, no criticizing of anyone's choice, or their reasons for choosing someone...I want to try to keep this very positive, thanks)

DarkSkies
11-14-2012, 08:01 AM
The out of state power companies.....

They showed up like an army, big thanks to ALL of them....:clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8666-The-Southern-Guys-Got-it-Done!

hookset
11-14-2012, 08:31 AM
:clapping:+2 for the guys from other states. They were a big help.

DarkSkies
11-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Chas527.....
Family effort......:clapping: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

despite his own personal issues with the flooding, and that of his family.....
His grandson volunteered with other kids in his high school to go on the container trucks that were going around Union Beach, and help them pick up the destroyed couches and bulk items that were sitting at the curb and starting to smell from the water damage.......

JM from Monterey Beach......

I know that Fin, and lots of ya's, may know JM only because the truck he drives, was once done up to remember the Tiger Shark from the WWII planes.....

JM is also part of Surfcasters Inc on facebook and may have another personal page that details his experiences Post-Sandy.

JM was protecting his family's house during Sandys aftermath. The way it was related to me, stayed in Monterey Beach/ Lavalette because of concern about the looters.
From what I understand, it was pretty tough for them to endure. They apparently had a generator and some fuel, but each day was a challenge as they were one of very few groups left on the barrier islands......

I understand that JM was also helping out some of the firefighters there as he was said to have some experience or be a volunteer.......
It was about 2 weeks of challenging conditions for them all....
If he were to write a book about it, it could be an interesting read,,,,,,:learn:

He recently left the house but stuck it out longer than almost everyone else.
I give him a lot of credit for toughing it out......

porgy75
11-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Very nice of your grandson chas!

DarkSkies
11-30-2012, 06:16 PM
JM from Monterey Beach......

I know that Fin, and lots of ya's, may know JM only because the truck he drives, was once done up to remember the Tiger Shark from the WWII planes.....

JM is also part of Surfcasters Inc on facebook and may have another personal page that details his experiences Post-Sandy.

JM was protecting his family's house during Sandys aftermath. The way it was related to me, they stayed in Monterey Beach/ Lavalette because of concern about the looters.
From what I understand, it was pretty tough for them to endure. They apparently had a generator and some fuel, but each day was a challenge as they were one of very few groups left on the barrier islands......

I understand that JM was also helping out some of the firefighters there as he was said to have some experience or be a volunteer.......
It was about 2 weeks of challenging conditions for them all....
If he were to write a book about it, it could be an interesting read,,,,,,:learn:

He recently left the house but stuck it out longer than almost everyone else.
I give him a lot of credit for toughing it out...... :thumbsup:

^^ I posted about this on 11/15......
JM got off the Island on 11/08...here's what he posted on Facebook.... I thought it was compelling......

Sandy and Ground Zero....

Lots of people have asked me what it was like to stay on the barrier island for "SANDY" and the days after. During my nights I would text my friends and update them on my status.I saved those text and put them together in chronological order to create this log:

SANDY Night of ground zero
- I'm in a safe place for now ! Don't no what's left of my house in Monterey Beach the ocean coming over dunes now! Pray for us!

-Went to the Firehouse the night of the storm for safety . The flood water came in so fast we had to move to higher ground , there was 3 ft of water in a matter of 30 min. Very scary now I know how people die . We had to move to the 1st aid squad next door which was a bit higher. The water was still coming up very fast . The rescue team that I was with went out into this raging river of water to run a rope to a three story private home . We were going to break the door down and move in . The water never made to that point but we were ready, "just in case"! We stayed up all night measuring the water hight ,every 6 hours the tide would change. It was a no win situation because when the Ocean was low the bay was high and when the bay was low the ocean was high,we were right in the middle. I will have some great stories to tell the grand children I won't have.

- The day after The water was 4 foot deep all around us . The State police wanted to send boats across the bay from Toms River and rescue us to a shelter. I stayed a entire night through the storm ,there is no way they were going to take me off with out me seeing my home! At that moment ,like God sent it to me ,a large canoe floated by the window . I grabbed the canoe and loaded my dog and belongings into it and paddled a mile to my home "Fishbonz". Another miracle,"Fishbonz " was High and dry with minor cosmetic damage.

-- I'm hanging in there as best I can! My house has no damage just borrowed power from neighbors generator , they are not down and it kicks in when powers down! Ran 300' of extension cords up the block! You should stick with me when the world ends! , have 30 gal of water and a gas grill. They are starting to Loot , coming across the bay on boats and nobody to stop them! This place is pitch black at night. I actually have a gun with in my reach if need be! I have been spending my time helping people and trying to get the fire dept up and running. I have been going to homes that are damaged and turning off the gas at the main. The smell of gas is everywhere from ruptured lines.

The reality hasn't sunk in yet because I have been keeping busy , I'm sure when it does I'm going to break . - They gave me a Fire jacket and helmet in case we have to go on a rescue ,nobody else to do it. I'm in bed at dark and up at dawn my world has changed so much in the last weeks. I miss you!

- In front of Fishbonz, no water, Gas, or electric now! I have been keeping busy throwing out all food in three fridges, and trying to secure Fishbonz for a long winter.

- Walked to Ortley beach and saw total destruction! It was heartbreaking to see the damage caused by the ocean. The funny part was the ocean was so tranquil and at peace today. Tried to get up to Normandy but couldn't pass ,Rt35 was blocked by sand and the army. Some of the houses up on the Ocean side have three feet of sand in them!

- There are no gas stations here I'm at ground zero. The Crabs Claw Inn just gave us Lobster tails , king crab legs, shrimp and Steaks. Could be worse at least I still have my dog Nami! My friend Wade is one of the best friends you could have ,he saved my life!

- What do you want to hear ? How bad I smell because I haven't had a shower since before the storm! How about this ,I have to wear a firemans uniform so I can walk around my own neighborhood. I Have to empty all food out my fridge because they turned the gas off no more generator . Now I'm watching the fish in my tank die! But I'm still alive and I have Nami with me! I'm afraid to leave the house alone at night because of the Mother %&@*! that have no respect for people's property! I'm going to be a different person after this !
- Last night while I was in bed someone banged on my front door. My dog went crazy barking , grabbed a flashlight and went to the door. I thought it was the police asking me to leave. Nobody was there, I think it was looters checking to see if the house was empty before they broke in!

- I'm staying as long as I can, all my " just in case" items are helping me survive. I feel useful here ,it's the only home I have and I am going to stay as long as I can. I am with real American blue collar workers who are the people who will risk there lives to help there neighbor. We got guys leaving warm beds and family's to come over and help people they don't know. And to think I was worried I wasn't going to be able to go to The Star tavern for pizza last week!

- Don't worry I will survive ! I guess the creature of habit theory goes out the door. I should make a video resume so I can get on that show Survivor. I have a 50 gal rain collector I'm using the water to flush the toilet. Nami is keeping me warm under the covers. Going to grab a neighbors propane grill in case I need to cook at home. The Crabs Claw gave me 50lbs of shrimp, 2 cases of Alaskan king crab legs and a case of Lobster tails. I have been cooking for the crew. We cleaned 2 inches of Mud and God knows what else out of the firehouse today. Wanted to make it more comfortable for everyone. Right now that's my home between the hours of 10 and 8 .

-I have been heating up water on a gas grill and washing with that and a soaped up hand towel. The temp in the house gets down to the 30's&40's but I got blankets and my dog Tsunami to keep me warm. I have been eating really good thanks to Sam at the Crabs Claw Inn. They are boarding up the Claw so that looters don't get in but it's a useless task in the end.

-The true locals are an unbelievable breed , they are such survivors! Nothing matters to them except there homes , family and community. I really admire the fact that they couldn't give a poop about an expensive car or a Gucci bags! These people are real old salts and they ain't leaving. We cooked lobster tails over a Bunsen burner and two cinder blocks in my friend living room with his 84 year old mother. I love these people and the land we live on!

We will rebuild and be stronger!

-I'm hanging in there , trying to secure nieghbors houses. Learning survival tactics from kooky locals! I'm having a hard time leaving! I feel I may go into a total depression when I get on to the mainland. This is my refuge!

- I got to stay Q until I'm ready to leave. I feel I need to be a part of things as much as I can. You know how I love it here I'm heartbroken that I may not be able to come back for a long time.This is a life experience that could never be learned in a book and will be etched in my memory for ever.
I love you for taking care of my parents!
Thank you Yonny

- Got off the island today Thursday 11/8/12 , drove over the bridge to the mainland. I could not believe how life was going on like normal 5 min away! Cars, people , lights , Noise!!!

I went to a WaWa convenient store and made my first cash purchase in 10 days, a cup of coffee! I couldn't deal with the every day life going on around me. After being mostly alone without anything it felt like someone stuck me inside a pinball machine! I heard some kid complaining that when his power came back he only gets 50 channels now! redzj HEAD!
I want to turn around and go back!

buckethead
11-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Great story, JM is good people.

bababooey
12-01-2012, 07:22 AM
You have to give those folks props for staying. Once they left the gov't had a say in when and where they could get to their property. Looters were everywhere like the Wild West. There weren't enough cops to protect from all those thieves. Lower than whale dung imo. Good read thanks for posting.

bluesdude71
12-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Can't even imagine how tough that would be. What an experience. He said it changed him forever. I'll bet.

DarkSkies
12-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Fishing Crazy and his thanksgiving dinner for displaced Sandy folks...... :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have known FishinCrazy (Jim Hill) for a while now...
In the beginning a lot of folks may have just thought of him as a hardcore fisherman.....

And he is.....

But he has also risen to the forefront as an Advocate for fishermens' Rights, and Access....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
He came from Pa to attend a lot of the meetings when a lot of the local folks, who were closer, couldn't seem to find the time....
He tireless fought for our Beach Access Rights.....some of the speeches he gave are now legendary, and had tough crusty old surf men with tears in their eyes as he described his passion for fishing, and why we should not lose sight of that.....:learn:

His latest project was the Thanksgiving Meals at the church.
Many jumped in to help, and ALL are to be commended for their help....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
but Jim was the catalyst, and the one that really pushed to meke it happen.....
He deserves the thanks and gratitude of all,,,,,and the nicest thing about it, is he is so humble....

thanks for all you have done., Jim......hoping your initiative can continue to ignite the spark in others.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
My friend Joe and his wife......:HappyWave:

Who found a distributor and got Halloween costumes together, post-Sandy...
drove them down to a collection center, so kids could have a belated Halloween.....:clapping: :clapping:

and also worked extra hard during voting day to make sure folks had access to the polls, despite the lack of electricity.....

DarkSkies
12-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Remember, if you want to post about anyone who did good deeds during Sandy, feel free.
As I said, it's more about recognizing the good deeds of others here, than elevating someone on a pedestal.....so please don't hesitate to talk about someone you know, who you feel should be recognized.....:thumbsup:

cowherder
12-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Fishing Crazy and his thanksgiving dinner for displaced Sandy folks...... :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have known FishinCrazy (Jim Hill) for a while now...
In the beginning a lot of folks may have just thought of him as a hardcore fisherman.....

And he is.....

But he has also risen to the forefront as an Advocate for fishermens' Rights, and Access....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
He came from Pa to attend a lot of the meetings when a lot of the local folks, who were closer, couldn't seem to find the time....
He tireless fought for our Beach Access Rights.....some of the speeches he gave are now legendary, and had tough crusty old surf men with tears in their eyes as he described his passion for fishing, and why we should not lose sight of that.....:learn:

His latest project was the Thanksgiving Meals at the church.
Many jumped in to help, and ALL are to be commended for their help....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
but Jim was the catalyst, and the one that really pushed to meke it happen.....
He deserves the thanks and gratitude of all,,,,,and the nicest thing about it, is he is so humble....

thanks for all you have done., Jim......hoping your initiative can continue to ignite the spark in others.....:HappyWave:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: to fishing crazy!

DarkSkies
12-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Another one, my friend Tom from the Rockaways (LI)

Although his own community was hard-hit by Sandy, even forcing his family to evacuate....

When things were getting back to normal, he helped to organize a produce drive, bringing fresh produce into the areas that needed it most....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

porgy75
12-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Very nice stories thanks for sharing. Good karma to all the guys who helped!

speedy
12-02-2012, 07:48 PM
There are so many generous folks on this site.....

Folks who have given their time, and money, and supplies, to Sandy victims....
Folks who are generous with their time to others in need,
Generous with advice, or just generous overall.......

That makes me feel good sometimes when I see the selfishness and self-centeredness out there....
I feel in the last 20 years society has undergone a change....and things are different from the way I remember growing up, when people used to help others....and were more giiving...... hey i went to a show firday night to see 3 DOORSDOWN & DAUGHTRY AT CONVENTION HALL THE LEAD GUYS FROM BOTH GROUPS
CALLED UP SOME PEOPLE THAT HELPED A GREAT DEAL WITH SANDY AND GAVE THEM A CHECK FOR 15,000 FOR THE JERSEY SHORE THAT WAS VERY COOL !!!!!!!

speedy
12-03-2012, 11:31 AM
and agreat show to top it off !!!!!!!!:wow::clapping:

storminsteve
12-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Awesome!

nitestrikes
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
You should call this the good vibrations thread. Very positive and a nice way to recognize some folks. Dark I think I know the guy who helped with the produce. His name is TomG and he is the nicest guy you ever want to meet. There are still some good people out there.

DarkSkies
08-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Some sad news to report...
One of Sandy's Heroes of the Jersey Shore has passed this week.....
Some info in case anyone wants to learn about her...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/a_young_sandy_hero_dies_during_her_personal_recove .html#incart_most-read_monmouth_article

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?2318-One-Day-at-a-Time-Do-You-Know-Bill-W&p=87377#post87377

May her huge heart and countless unselfish contributions, never be forgotten.....
I didn't know her...but her contributions stand out as an admirable example of all that folks did...in the days following Sandy...

Pebbles and I helped a few during that time....but when I read of the things that Cassandra Vitale did....
There is no way the things we did, could ever compare to what she was able to achieve.....
She was literally a driving force of strength....and her efforts helped hundreds.....that's an amazing achievement..:clapping: :thumbsup:
She died much too young.
I pray she will always be remembered for what she unselfishly gave of herself...
And that she will never be forgotten.....

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Cassandra Vitale...

buckethead
08-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Sorry to hear that. T&P to to her family.