PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Fish Advisory

clamchucker
11-12-2012, 10:09 AM
From the DEP

For details about the advisory, please see http://www.state.nj.us/dep/newsrel/2012/12_0137.htm on the DEP website
As a public health and safety precaution, the Department of Environmental Protection is advising recreational boaters, anglers and crabbers to temporarily avoid the waters of northern Barnegat Bay, from Barnegat Light to Point Pleasant, and is advising residents not to eat any fish, crustaceans or shellfish from these waters due to potential contamination from pathogens - bacteria and viruses.

I believe this is the same for the raritan bay area and new york.

seamonkey
11-12-2012, 10:21 AM
^^ The baykeeper posted this about the ny bight -

At the height of Hurricane Sandy, tank facilities along the Arthur Kill suffered extensive damage leading to three separate oil spills:

Motiva facility in the Sewaren section of Woodbridge where a tank failed, resulting in the release of 400,000 gallons of diesel oil. A secondary containment wall managed to capture some of the oil and just over half of the oil has been recovered.

KMI facility in Carteret, 10,000 gallons of biodiesel was released, spilling into Rum Creek, a tributary of the Arthur Kill. Approximately 400,000 gallons of contaminated water has been removed, but it unclear how much actual biodiesel was cleaned up.

Philips 66 site in Linden a storage tank had a minor breech and surge waters carried the refined oil over the secondary containment into the Arthur Kill. Approximately 5,000 gallons of refined oil were spilled.

surferman
11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
EPA update:

Results of EPA sampling along the NJ coast below. More info is available at http://www.state.nj.us/dep/wms/bmw/s...nticocean.html (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/wms/bmw/sandyatlanticocean.html).

Atlantic Ocean Stations (11/9/12 update)
On November 6, 2012, the United States Environmental Protection Agency in cooperation with the NJDEP collected ocean water samples for enterococcus (an indicator of human pathogens) from near shore waters from Sandy Hook to Seaside Heights. These samples were collected to delineate any plume of pollutants from the NY/NJ Harbor and measure its effect, if any, on NJ’s coastal waters. Sample results indicate no measurable effect from the NY/NJ Harbor discharge on NJ’s coastal waters. Results for enterococcus were extremely low. The maximum result was 60 cfu/100ml; the minimum result was <10 cfu/100ml; the geo-mean was 6 cfu/100ml. For reference, the recreational bathing standard is 104 cfu/100ml.

No additional monitoring of the Atlantic Ocean is anticipated at this time.

paco33
11-17-2012, 01:20 PM
This gets so confusing. This is one I read yesterday.

Human waste has been pouring into New York Harbor from the fifth largest sewage treatment plant in the nation since it was hit by Sandy, and the operator of the plant cannot predict when it will stop.
A 12-foot surge of water swamped the Newark plant that serves some three million people when Sandy struck on Oct. 29. The plant has pumped more than three billion gallons of untreated or partially treated wastewater into local waterways since then.
Mike DeFrancisci, executive director of the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission, would only say "ASAP" when asked when repairs to the sprawling facility could be made.
Until then, the main outfall will continue dumping millions of gallons of partially treated human waste a day at a point close to the Statue of Liberty across from Manhattan.
"We've never had the facility flood like this," he said.
Pathogens in partially treated waste are a health hazard and public safety threat, officials said.
Fishing, crabbing and shellfishing bans in the New Jersey waters of the harbor will remain in effect, said Larry Ragonese, a Department of Environmental Protection spokesman.
The New York City Department of Environmental Protection also issued an advisory to residents to avoid contact with the water.
While no target date has been set for repairs at the plant to be completed, DeFrancisci said he expected the facility, which has miles of underground chambers and pipes, to be redesigned to withstand the new reality of storms like Sandy.
"Underneath it would be no different than being in a battleship, making sure the doors are watertight," DeFrancisci said

captnemo
12-06-2012, 03:52 PM
I think it is still in effect. I will not eat any stripers from the RB this year. It is just too risky for me and my family.

"Due to the release of raw sewage from a pump station damaged by Hurricane Sandy, the DEP issued a public health advisory on November 2. You can read it at:http://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2012/12_0135.htm While there has been considerable progress in repairs to the sewage treatment plants and associated pumping stations, releases continue on a sporadic basis in the Raritan River/Bay tidal area. This advisory has not yet been lifted. The temporary repairs to the pumping station in Sayreville remain fragile and subject to upset.

We have been taking water samples to assess the bacteria present in Raritan Bay. All results of our sampling are posted at:http://www.state.nj.us/dep/wms/bmw/sandymonmouth.html We have also been taking samples of shellfish tissue to assess for viruses, and those results are also posted. Bacteria levels have decreased significantly, but we are concerned that there are still some raw sewage releases which are not predictable.
In addition, please visit fishsmarteatsmartnj.org for current fish consumption advisories."

Jill Lipoti, Ph.D., Director
Division of Water Monitoring and Standards
NJ Department of Environmental Protection
609-292-1623

DarkSkies
12-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Here's the latest, sent in by Fin...thanks!

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dec. 7, 2012

Lawrence Hajna (609) 984-1795
Abbie Tang-Smith (609) 984-1795

CHRISTIE ADMINISTRATION LIFTS RECREATIONAL FISHING AND BOATING ADVISORY FOR MOST NEW JERSEY WATERWAYS

(12/P152) TRENTON - The Department of Environmental Protection is lifting the public health advisory for recreational use of the Hudson River, Passaic River, Hackensack River, Newark Bay, Kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill, and Sandy Hook Bay, as well as upper Barnegat Bay.

Boating, fishing, and crabbing are now allowed. Recreational and commercial shellfish harvest is prohibited in these waters, however.
The waste water treatment facilities which had been damaged by Hurricane Sandy have now been restored, and water quality sampling has indicated that the waters meet the recreational water quality standards. Recreational boating, fishing, and crabbing activities can now be resumed in the NY/NJ Harbor areas and in Barnegat Bay.

However, the public health advisory remains in place for Raritan River and Raritan Bay. The Department remains concerned with the possibility of continued releases from the collection system leading to the Middlesex County Utilities Authority.

Although full wastewater treatment is available, the pump station at Sayreville was severely damaged. Although a temporary system is in place, it has been subject to continued dry and wet weather releases. Recreational and commercial shellfish harvest remains closed until further notice. It is illegal to remove shellfish from these waters and consuming shellfish from these waters is not advised due to health and safety concerns.

We encourage all anglers, crabbers and boaters to visit the Hurricane Sandy webpage at http://www.nj.gov/dep/special/hurricane-sandy/ for updates on lifting the advisory in the Raritan River/Raritan Bay area. In addition, please visit fishsmarteatsmartnj.org for current fish consumption advisories.

captnemo
01-14-2016, 12:01 PM
New one
http://patch.com/new-jersey/baskingridge/eating-fish-these-nj-places-can-get-you-very-very-sick?utm_source=alert-breakingnews&utm_medium=email&utm_term=health%20%26%20fitness&utm_campaign=alert

nitestrikes
01-23-2016, 09:15 AM
I would not eat any fish that came from the bays of jersey, but that's just me.

surfrob
01-26-2016, 04:21 PM
I would not eat any fish that came from the bays of jersey, but that's just me.

what do you mean "from"?

I get tog "from" the backbays, but wouldn't hesitate to eat them. In fact, if you catch tog (legally) just give them to me.

lostatsea
01-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Hey is that a dig on NJ bays? We have good clams, crabs and a lot of other stuff in our bays. The one place that scares me is the nybight and the hudson river. all those piers near jersey city, bayonne, perth amboy and such. Heavy metal poison. Def you should be careful in those areas. As for the raritan and barnegat bays they shouldn't be that dangerous. I am not a scientist though.

nitestrikes
01-27-2016, 12:42 AM
what do you mean "from"?

I get tog "from" the backbays, but wouldn't hesitate to eat them. In fact, if you catch tog (legally) just give them to me.

I should have been more specific. The post before mine talked about the river and port areas. I think anything connected with those areas would be risky. The hudson was polluted for many years. It has come a long way. Glad to see that. Still would not trust any seafood from that area. Especially stripers or tog which eat from the bottom and contaminated pilings.

buckethead
01-27-2016, 07:49 AM
I think anyone who eats crabs from the industrial area would want to educate themselves. Unfortunately you have a lot of stubborn folks up there. Have seen news programs where they interview a cross section of people. There is invariably the guy who says "I have been eating these crabs for 20 years and I am still alive". The heavy metals they are referring to take a long time to build up in your system.

dogfish
01-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Boil everything in cheap whiskey and beer and you're good to go. Problem solved.:cool: