PDA

View Full Version : Surf fishing phone (FOR SAFETY)

Monty
11-17-2012, 08:42 AM
When fishing the surf or bay and I am some distance from my vehicle I think its necessary to have a phone. Not to hear or tell about fishing action but about safety. Whether I find someone hurt/sick or that I find a person who cannot move or I trip and break a leg or two or even if I find a headless torso, having a way to contact a park ranger or dial 911 is important. Even finding someone keeping short bass, a call to authorities could help. And if my wife HAS to get in touch with me she can (makes her feel better.....).
But carrying a "smart phone" while fishing is not an option for someone as "googan prone" as me (drop in water, some how gets wet, fall and crush it, loose it (the possibilities are endless).
So I have a fishing phone. The cheapest I can find. Smallest and somewhat rugged (no hinges). I keep it in a water proof bag. Been doing this for two years and have lost one and broken another (transfer the number to the new ones (cost of a replacement I think was under 20 bucks). Monthly fee is $16.00. Its with AT&T (TRAC phone) gets relatively decent coverage. If there are cheaper alternatives would be great to hear.

paco33
11-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Nice, did you get it at the ATT store or online?

albiealert
11-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Good idea monty. Question, can you do text as well?
just basic calling?

Monty
11-17-2012, 06:34 PM
I bought this phone at Best Buy, think lots of stores have them. I can also do text messages.The phone I bought was the smallest (not text message friedly), I don't use it for typing text messages, but can/do read them.
From what I have found with these pay as you go plans (at least the one I have), is that the phone is cheap. Its like .10 per minute of use. Text costs like .10 each. I use it very little. The minutes only carry over if I make a minimum deposit of $15.00 per month. If I don't make that deposit, the balance (which is over $100.00) gets wiped out and to reopen the account its like $30.00. So I have an automatic charge set up per month. I looked at a bunch of plans, this was the cheapest I could find. There are so many quirks, hidden things in the plans that make it expensive or basically screw the consumer. I hate phone companies, they don't give a crap about the consumer/customer.
What's crazy about this is I tried to look up a few plans and the information was not easy to find. The fine details you don't know until you are screwed.
You would think that you would go to AT&T site and it would be easy to check out all the details of the plan. :2flip: AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.
That's the trend in this country, take advantage of fellow citizens, just to make $$$$. How many industries and jobs are there now in this country where peoples jobs are to trick someone into buying something and take advantage of them.....Whoops went a little off the subject.
I am not sure if I have a GoPhone or Trac phone, thinking its the GoPhone.
Sorry about the rant....

ledhead36
11-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Just saw that phone advertised on tv today. They have it at walmart. Think it is a special deal for $30, and you get some free minutes with that, not sure.

cowherder
11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
cool

plugaholic
01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
This is a very good idea

DarkSkies
06-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Just saw that phone advertised on tv today. They have it at walmart. Think it is a special deal for $30, and you get some free minutes with that, not sure.

This is a very good idea

Yep leave it to Monty to figure out a smarter way to do things....I am a goog, fried another phone...will be looking into this option....thanks Monty. :HappyWave:

CharlieTuna
06-22-2013, 08:32 PM
I think as mentioned if you gents are going out into extreme environments at night it is a good idea to have a cheap phone for emergencies.