PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania man catches state record striped bass!

porgy75
12-15-2012, 04:55 PM
What a COW! :whoo:

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/News/Pages/Pennsylvania-man-catches-state-record-striped-bass.aspx

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/News/PublishingImages/12-14-12 ben smith record striper on beach SM.jpg

Angler Ben Smith with his state record
striped bass at Delaware Seashore State
Park. Photo by Zack Pillarelli.

Pennsylvania man catches state record striped bass

REHOBOTH BEACH (Dec. 14, 2012) – As of Dec. 8, Delaware has a new state record holder for the largest striped bass landed in Delaware waters. Ben Smith of Bryn Mar, Pa., was fishing in the surf at Delaware Seashore State Park on Saturday when he reeled in a 52-pound striped bass measuring 51 inches long and 30 inches in girth.

Under the rules of the Delaware Sport Fishing Tournament, Smith’s catch was measured and weighed using a certified scale at Old Inlet Bait & Tackle in Rehoboth Beach and then verified by Sr. Cpl. Douglas Messeck of DNREC’s Division of Fish and Wildlife Enforcement Section. According to Nathan Rust, Delaware Sport Fishing Tournament director, the former state record of 51 pounds, 8 ounces had been in place since 1978.

Smith, who grew up in New Jersey fishing in the Long Beach Island area with his dad and younger brother, was enjoying a fishing weekend with friends when he cast his line at Delaware Seashore State Park. “I never set out to set a state record. I go fishing for the love of the outdoors, time with friends and the adventure,” Smith said. “But I’m ecstatic about catching such a great fish.”

Clark Evans, a surf fishing instructor with Old Inlet, described the challenges Smith faced in landing the record striper. “A striper is known for putting on a big first run, and surviving that first run was the first hurdle,” Evans said. Using the right equipment including a circle hook and fray-resistant braided line instead of more fragile monofilament helped Smith’s battle considerably, especially in the final struggle to wrestle the fish out of the surf. “He did everything right, and even then the odds were stacked against him. I told him, ‘That’s one in a million,’” Evans said.

jonthepain
12-15-2012, 05:10 PM
sweet! well done, a fellow LBI'er salutes you.

guy looks familiar somehow.

captnemo
12-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Outstanding fish. Congrats to him.

cowherder
12-15-2012, 05:46 PM
COW-A-BUNGA!!!!!!!!!!!!:clapping::clapping::clapping::cl apping::clapping:

wish4fish
12-15-2012, 05:49 PM
dudes if i got that pig i wud lay her on the ground an lay next to her and start rubbin an kissin on her its a beast lol

bababooey
12-15-2012, 05:58 PM
wish4fish maybe a full time girlfriend would help?:ROFLMAO
Nice fish

CharlieTuna
12-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Fish of a lifetime, nicely done.