PDA

View Full Version : why do rubber eels work when there are no Sandeels, and what is your favorite Brand?

hookedonbass
01-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Last year sandeels were so thick you could snag them with your treble. This year according to the things I have read here there are no sandeels in NJ. Guys are catching fish on them though. So why do they work with no sandeels around and what is your favorite rubber eel to use? thanks in advance

finchaser
01-07-2013, 09:45 PM
they also have the same profile as the winter spearing which are bigger than the summer spearing

hookedonbass
01-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Thank you fin chaser. do you have a favorite brand the vision or the sunami? Are there any others?

surfstix1963
01-08-2013, 04:42 AM
IDK about the sandeels but for some reason the tsunami shads worked better then the Storm shads.I've heard good things about vision eels(but I think Fin mentioned they were going out of business) cabelas also sells similar items,it is all in presentation with rubber.

storminsteve
01-08-2013, 06:46 PM
,it is all in presentation with rubber.

Amen, and where the fish are feeding at, the level.
finchaser I never thought of them as a spearing imitation, good point

jigfreak
09-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Fished the back for a few hours. Top of the out and the outgoing. Water wasn't that bad still very warm. Lots of mullet and peanut bunker. They were getting hammered by bass. Unfortunately they were really keyed in on that bait. It was a bad night to be a baitfish back there. Managed 4 bass to 31". 2 of them were keepers. All released. Magdarter got 2. Black sluggo got the other 2.

hookedonbass
09-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Awesome great to read about them eating that bait. Question if you don't mind answering. I thought the best time to use sluggos is when sand eels are here. Why do you think they hit them now? Did they hit them hard? thanks

jigfreak
09-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Rubber catches more fish than almost anything else out there. Only time I dont throw rubber is when the blues are thick then I might go with buckt and pork. Guys don't want to use rubber because its something you actually have to work. Its not like a SP where you throw and let you do the work. When you throw rubber its all about the action you put into it. And yes the bass absolutely slammed the sluggos. Don't need sandeels to be around to use them.

finchaser
09-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Rubber catches more fish than almost anything else out there. Only time I dont throw rubber is when the blues are thick then I might go with buckt and pork. Guys don't want to use rubber because its something you actually have to work. Its not like a SP where you throw and let you do the work. When you throw rubber its all about the action you put into it. And yes the bass absolutely slammed the sluggos. Don't need sandeels to be around to use them.
What he said:clapping::clapping::clapping:

buckethead
09-24-2015, 01:16 PM
X2. Too many out there are brainwashed by the internet. They think to themselves if I can just buy this plug, toss this brand braid, on this rod, with this reel, I will catch lots of fish. They think there is some magic out there that will make them a better fisherman. The only way to become a better fisherman is to go out there and put the time in.

That is particularly true when fishing rubber or bucktails. They do not catch fish for you. You have to impart the action and present them right. There is only so much you can learn online. I may be an old timer for sure. I learned everything by doing.

cowherder
09-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Guys don't want to use rubber because its something you actually have to work. Its not like a SP where you throw and let you do the work. When you throw rubber its all about the action you put into it.

X2. Too many out there are brainwashed by the internet. They think to themselves if I can just buy this plug, toss this brand braid, on this rod, with this reel, I will catch lots of fish. They think there is some magic out there that will make them a better fisherman. The only way to become a better fisherman is to go out there and put the time in.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Blazin420
09-25-2015, 07:09 AM
X3 i LOVE my soft plastics and sluggos are 1 of my favorites i throw the all year long no matter what bait is around...They just down right work!! Also im/was a big fan of the visions even tho my stash is dwindling down they are a big producer for me...The Zoom super flukes have been in my bag a lot split tail and paddle tail bot have worked well...I love fishing them cause like said above YOU have to work them and put some effort into your retrive...I think alot of guys would be more successful if they stopped reading so much about when and were to use certine stuff and just went out and FISHED...Ive had so many guys out there be like"why are u using those theres no sandeels around" or "i thought those only worked when there was a full moon" ect.......Ya no what guys JUST TRY EVERYTHING ya never no what the fish are gonna want...Just cause Joe Surfisher man wrote that they dont work(for him) doesnt me they wont work for you...Do your own thing dont worry about what everyone else is doing!!! Thats my motto!!!

surferman
09-25-2015, 09:48 AM
I love fishing them cause like said above YOU have to work them and put some effort into your retrive...I think alot of guys would be more successful if they stopped reading so much about when and were to use certine stuff and just went out and FISHED...Just cause Joe Surfisher man wrote that they dont work(for him) doesnt me they wont work for you...Do your own thing dont worry about what everyone else is doing!!! Thats my motto!!!

:clapping:Well said blazin. You have to get out there and FISH to catch them. Cant catch them on the internet!