PDA

View Full Version : Ask Finchaser

surfstix1963
01-19-2013, 06:17 PM
1. You all know Finchaser as the Old Grouchy Basstard. There is a lot more to the old salt than that. He has been fishing for over 55 years, has been in some of the top Surf Clubs, and fished for just about every Salt species that can be caught on the NJ/NY Coast.
He's one of the top rod builders out there, doing most of the contract work for the tackle shops in 2 counties.
He has enough connections in the tackle business that he usually has his hands on the hot new lures before anyone else does

He and his old fart friends know a lot about striped bass migration and fish behavior.
And have for decades rallied for Conservation of Striped bass
Thought some of you might want to ask him questions...:d

surfstix1963
01-19-2013, 06:20 PM
So ask away. Fishing, Striped Bass Migration, Rod Building, new fishing Plugs, bunker,cell phones, politics, life advice, whatever, throw it out there and see where it goes.

madcaster
01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Ok Did Habb's come out with a acrylic needle ? I can't find any thing on it ,but I remember seeing one a few years ago and that's what gave me the ideal to use acrylic.

ledhead36
01-19-2013, 10:59 PM
He has enough connections in the tackle business that he usually has his hands on the hot new lures before anyone else does

Must be great to check the stuff out first. How do you manage that?

vpass
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
I fished today from 3:30 to 5:00 PM and released 7 fish between 24 and 29" all on a Guides Secret Mucho Minnow.

I never heard of the Mucho Minnow. I did a search and It looks real good. You don't need to upgrade the hardware.

Fin, have you been fishing that lure a long time? how is it compared to the other plugs. Might get a few.

Monty
01-20-2013, 02:48 PM
A couple leader questions:

Is there an advantage to throwing small plugs like the Mambo Minnow or Red Fin with a 30 lb leader vs a 50 lb leader?

With an 8'6" rod would what length leader do you think is optimum? I use a 4' leader with the 10 foot+ rods.

cowherder
01-20-2013, 02:57 PM
I never heard of the Mucho Minnow. I did a search and It looks real good. You don't need to upgrade the hardware.

Fin, have you been fishing that lure a long time? how is it compared to the other plugs. Might get a few.

Yes I would like to hear more about those plugs too. thanks finchaser!:HappyWave:

surfstix1963
01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
What is your go to lure/plug when the fishing is tough and why???Thanks....

jigfreak
01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I'll be the one to ask this, lol. Are you as grouchy as dark says you are?

finchaser
01-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Mad caster
I guess you know John is dead and his son was to start up but to the best of my knowledge no the only new acrylic needle is my friends Shelly Caris Guides secret - not guides choice.

finchaser
01-20-2013, 05:01 PM
leadhead
through the years you get to know people who either respect your opinion or they don't
did Sebile ,Gamma line, SP& DS minnows and many others through the years.

Don't forget i repair rods for 3 shops and there are always sales samples.

Some great new ones, Baker lures and Guides choice

finchaser
01-20-2013, 05:07 PM
V-pass

Mucho minnow are 2 friends of mine from Shore catch guides( Gene Quiglly and Shell E Caris who have a real upscale group of lures under the Guides Secret
(not guides choice that's Fred's lures )

Tested the guides secret needle last year and would say it's like a Habbs in plastic.

No need to up grade anything on them wolverine split rings and 4x VMC hooks take it out of box and you're good to go

http://store.guidessecret.com/mucho-minnow/ (http://store.guidessecret.com/mucho-minnow/)

finchaser
01-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Monty
Yes small plugs this time of year swim better . I drop down to 30 beach 40 around jetties. just had the Googan drop to 60 from 100 and that's not a typo and he admitted there was a difference.
Too heavy causes some plugs to swim on side or loose wobble. Going too big on hooks in size not x also can kill a plug's action. I use 3' no matter what length the rod is and am considerd a good caster

finchaser
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
I really don't have a go to plug I let the ocean,tide stage,water color and wind dictate that.

Could be plastic,rubber or metal then again all my plugs are white,yellow white,black or olive or green over white.

But if I had to pick one - the Super Strike stubby needle right V-pass
Popper SS ploaris
metal 2 ounce Pojee

Rubber 5" Riptide mullet tail on 1 1/2 ounce jig head
Always with me^^^^

finchaser
01-20-2013, 05:26 PM
SS

when fishing is tough i use a chartreuse or salt and pepper riptide tail on a jig head. Can cover any depth, any speed, any condition - covers lots of ground.

So you guy's don't go crazy, they are made by Culprit buy them from their website unless a shop will get them 4 you

finchaser
01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Jig

I'm not grouchy at all DS put's me in that mood as his Googan ways drive me and my crew nuts

finchaser
01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
I make my oun teasers which are olive over white clousers not a teaser person
Can rewire wood but am not a wood person as i always say wood is good but plastics better no tuning involved and no water absorption to cause erratic swimming especially by mass produced plug makers.
So we can refer all plug building and teaser questions to SS surfstix

Reading the water, sunset and sunrise pictures to to WWM Monty

DS you drive me nuts go play with your finger puppets

vpass
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
V-pass

Mucho minnow are 2 friends of mine from Shore catch guides( Gene Quiglly and Shell E Caris who have a real upscale group of lures under the Guides Secret not guides choice that's Fred's lures

Tested the guides secret needle last year and would say it's like a Habbs in plastic.

No need to up grade anything on them wolverine split rings and 4x VMC hooks take it out of box and your good to go
Cool, Thanks Fin. I'm going to order 1 or 2.

finchaser
01-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Reel Seat stocks them all

vpass
01-20-2013, 06:05 PM
I really don't have a go to plug I let the ocean,tide stage,water color and wind dictate that. Could be plastic,rubber or metal then again all my plugs are white,yellow white,black or olive or green over white.

But if I had to pick one the Super Strike stubby needle right V-pass
Popper SS ploaris
metal 2 ounce Poje
Rubber 5" Riptide mellet tail on 11/2 ounce jig head

Always with me^^^^

I always have SS needles with me.:thumbsup:

madcaster
01-20-2013, 08:44 PM
what is a casting egg ? or what is it used for ?

finchaser
01-20-2013, 09:16 PM
used to cast a fly or small bucktail.

tie line to eggs top eye then 3' leader to other end to the bottom eye and offering to other end of leader

Monty
01-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Monty
Yes small plugs this time of year swim better . I drop down to 30 beach 40 around jetties. just had the Googan drop to 60 from 100 and that's not a typo and he admitted there was a difference too heavy causes some plugs to swim on side or loose wobble. Going too big on hooks in size not x also can kill a plugs action. I use 3' no matter what length the rod is and am considerd a good caster
I would like to post a couple follow-up questions :HappyWave:
Mono or Fluorocarbon?
Swivel to attach leader I assume.

finchaser
01-21-2013, 01:30 PM
I use 99% floro except when big blues are around then its mimoi 60 or 80# mono

I always use a swivel usually Spro 130 or 220 as they are easy to grab when pulling a fish out of the water.
To the other end of the 36" leader a 80# Backlash clip or a # 54 black duo lock snap never a snap swivel.

Pebbles
01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
OK Finchaser I have a question, how come my paycheck is $88 dollars a month less. Answer - the Republicans failed to pass the continuance of the reduced tax cuts, even though Obama was pressing for it to pass! :kiss:

madcaster
01-21-2013, 06:39 PM
What type of surf bag do you use and what are the pro'd and con's

storminsteve
01-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Umm with all due respect dark, does pebbles know finchasers stance on obama? Watch out for falling thunderbolts!:scared:

finchaser
01-22-2013, 08:28 AM
She knows. Let's keep it to fishing questions I'm not getting into all the things that lying piece of sh_t Muslim has hidden in his health care bill and other places or how he has destroyed this once great country.

finchaser
01-22-2013, 08:34 AM
mad cast
I use 2 Hunter Elite Pro Roque bags 1 for fall and one for river,canal and inlet the other for start of NE storms and days after with heavier stuff
I use a Van Staal single row for general surf fishing.
A Mak 2 tube short belt bag for rubber and bucktails for in the back and docks

The Hunter Elite Pro Roque is the most versital bag IMO do to the many add on pouches tou can add or sbtract for diferent conditions

http://www.aquaskinz.com/index.php5?mode=item&cid=6&pid=88&alt=1

surfstix1963
01-22-2013, 06:33 PM
V-pass

Mucho minnow are 2 friends of mine from Shore catch guides( Gene Quiglly and Shell E Caris who have a real upscale group of lures under the Guides Secret

No need to up grade anything on them wolverine split rings and 4x VMC hooks take it out of box and you're good to go
I think I'm going shopping.Unless Monty buys them all.:d

Monty
01-22-2013, 08:10 PM
I think I'm going shopping.Unless Monty buys them all.:d
:HappyWave:
Going to try to accumulate mucho Mucho Minnows......,,,,

storminsteve
01-23-2013, 08:34 AM
^^Uh oh I can hear the beginnings of a stampede already! Speaking of that, those vision eels are allegedly being hoarded now. Finchaser what do you think about them as compared to the tsunami eels? Thoughts of others would be appreciated as well.

surfstix1963
01-23-2013, 11:10 AM
He can have the eels I want the bunka boy and their poppers.

finchaser
01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
^^Uh oh I can hear the beginnings of a stampede already! Speaking of that, those vision eels are allegedly being hoarded now. Finchaser what do you think about them as compared to the tsunami eels? Thoughts of others would be appreciated as well.

I don't use either I like the Gags Whip It eel as you can replace the tails and they cast much better especially if you want them to be fished with a teaser.I prefer the 6 or 8" with 3/4,1,11/2 ounce heads depending where i 'm fishing .In a pinch you can hook on a Sluggohttp://www.algagsfishinglures.com/

Visions are discontinued like I stated weeks ago and are expensive

I've used both and IMO the Tsunami cast better and are stronger( hold up to numerous fish better)

storminsteve
01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Hey finchaser do you have any preference in the tsunami eels? I think they come in 7, 10, and 12". Last year they had some pretty good pricing for them at the flea markets.

storminsteve
01-23-2013, 09:21 PM
He can have the eels I want the bunka boy and their poppers.

Why what is so special about the bunka boy?

DarkSkies
01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
1. I don't use either I like the Gags Whip It eel as you can replace the tails and they cast much better especially if you want them to be fished with a teaser.I prefer the 6 or 8" with 3/4,1,11/2 ounce heads depending where i 'm fishing .In a pinch you can hook on a Sluggo http://www.algagsfishinglures.com/

2. Visions are discontinued like I stated weeks ago and are expensive
I've used both and IMO the Tsunami cast better and are stronger( hold up to numerous fish better)

Just to add to this,

1. thanks to Fin :HappyWave:I started using the Gags Whip it last year. I liked the action the head imparts on it as it swims. The most noticeable morning I had fishing it was one morning when a friend and I were fishing the sunup when the sandeels were around. Water was a little dirty and the yellow Gags greatly outfished other neutral colored eels. Yellow could have been the ticket that day but I was glad I had it with me.

2. As for the Tsunami Eels....I won't buy Vision eels, unless someone gives them to me discounted or from a show. IMO $3 for an eel is outrageous, so on principle alone I don't buy them. As they are discontinued I know there is some hype about keeping a stock for your personal stash.

I'll close with this story, you follks can buy whatever you feel works better.....
Last winter, one of the best fishermen we know....able to consistently get 30-50 fish a night last year when the sandeel bite was very strong...
After a night of fishing, he went in to Giglios and cleaned them out of their currrent stock of larger tsunami eels....bought every last bag they had at the time and left the Visions on the shelf......what does that tell ya? :learn: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.png

** I also think it's a confidence thing....if your friends swear by any one profile, they are catching, and you catch....then you have the opinion that you will catch whenever you throw that....and will behave in a manner that you pay more attention to presentation when throwing it....in most cases, unless the fish are really aggressive, presentation is everything......

lostatsea
01-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Hey finchaser do you have any preference in the tsunami eels? I think they come in 7, 10, and 12". Last year they had some pretty good pricing for them at the flea markets.

I would like to hear opinions on these too. Have not used the tsunami eels although I know what they look like.Dark thanks for sharing the comparison about the visions v tsunammi. Have never seen the bunka boy. Where do they sell them and why do they work?

finchaser
01-25-2013, 12:10 PM
I would like to hear opinions on these too. Have not used the tsunami eels although I know what they look like.Dark thanks for sharing the comparison about the visions v tsunami. Have never seen the bunka boy. Where do they sell them and why do they work?

Lottatsea

Ok on the subject of the Tsunami eels the most popular are the 6",8",9" again me personally I the whip it casts and swims much better but in the Tsunami I like the 6 and 8 inch and have caught fish on both. These fall into the soft plastics category.

The Bunka boy is a 6 1/2" wide body hard plastic plug. Weighs 2 ounces and has a swim lip. It is made by Guides secret http://store.guidessecret.com/bunka-boy/ made to resemble a bunker. Rapala ans Cotton Cordell use to make a plug like this back in the day which these are a remake of. Yes they work not one of my favorites as they don't cast to well into a wind and take up allot of space in a plug bag . Excellent boat plug

lostatsea
01-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the response finchaser. $16.99 is a good price. I remember last year a charter capt was calling this plug a different name, RPG secret weapon or something like that? And they were selling it for $30. At the website you mentioned you can get it for $17. Wow, what a markup the other guys are making!:kooky:

finchaser
01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
The RPG was made by the Polish shad company which is a different plug made for Ronnie on the charter boat Renegade out of Brielle. This is similar but not as broad made more for casting not trolling.

DarkSkies
02-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Fin, one of our backwater fishing buddies said she was looking for a new fishing top...not a dry top bit something lighter, like a good quality rain jacket......any suggestions?

**She's not a member yet, but I know she reads our antics daily.....she said we were a little crazy, :kooky: but all good.....:laugh:

surfstix1963
02-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Maybe nothing but I'm a plug junkie got to have at least one.

finchaser
02-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Rich email me your address i'll send you one

finchaser
02-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Fin, one of our backwater fishing buddies said she was looking for a new fishing top...not a dry top bit something lighter, like a good quality rain jacket......any suggestions?

**She's not a member yet, but I know she reads our antics daily.....she said we were a little crazy, :kooky: but all good.....:laugh:

The New STORMR is heavy but would keep her warm and dry all in one, I just ordered one it's more a hooded sort of dry top a full sipper www.stormrusa.com (http://www.stormrusa.com)

I personally like a Columbia i have one with neoprene cuffs I use in the surf all the time

Toward the end of season i tried a Coleman from Gemplers breathable with rubber cuffs for $75 it's great

For the boat Grundens Brigg

For the boat in summer Cabela Gortex xtreme Jacket

For her I would say the Coleman http://www.gemplers.com/product/167427/Coleman-Breathable-Rain-Jacket best bang for the buck

dogfish
02-20-2013, 06:18 AM
When it comes to paying attention to these issues....the truth is....it's damn boring! :scared:

I get that....and find that apathy in many areas in life when I try to get fishermen involved......

The thing is, every year we notice less and less big fish caught....
The OGB is fond of saying....."Striped bass are not like Doritos, you just can't make more!"

I think that's a great assessment....and really wish folks would pay attention when he says that.....

Wanted to thank you for that statement finchaser. Just read the thread striped bass and the apple tree where I got this quote from. Have read many of your posts over the years both there and other sites. It seems some will gloss over them and at times they are ignored. I wonder what it would take for them to finally listen or do you think we are inevitably headed for another moratorium? Thanks for your response.

finchaser
02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the praise dogfish.
No doubt in my mind and others I associate with that lived through the last one it's coming quicker this time. As it states under my screen name
" Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again"

Last time there weren't many of us and the commercials were mainly to blame.

This time it's all on us especially the as I refer to them fluke fisherman gone wild. As more and more restrictions are put on fluke and other species more and more rec's charter and head-boats turn to bass. Estimated that over 6 million people fish for bass.
Then came the biggest pain in the as_ in the sea the bunker, which I once helped save will be the demise of the bass do to snag and droppers filling ego's for pictures. in some marina's after the pictures they go into dumpsters where the so called sportsman watch and laugh. as they are referred to Mexican dumpster divers pull them out. Then it's back out for more and lets bring the kids because they are allowed 2 each.They even come here from out of state to snag and drop a trophy.
Big bass IMO taste like blues from all the bunker they consume. Go figure most won't eat a big blue because they feed in bunker chum.

The next culprit next to bunker is the INTERNET and cell phone hero's who without a blitz couldn't catch a fish in an aquarium without a net. What happened to the good old days where no one was called in the blitz lasted for hours.
It's amazing how many people flock to some seminars to listen to people that a few years ago were clueless until the bunker and INTERNET made them self proclaimed pros.
So in my eye's I hope a moratorium comes tomorrow or a 1 fish bag limit.
The only other saving grace would 1 at 24 to 28 and 1 over 40 which would give the most prolific breeders a chance to breed.

Never thought I'd live to see them wiped out again but most in the know give it max 5 more years.

If I offended anyone oh well, I guess Dogfish you hit one of my sore spots thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc8bCOOfFs4&feature=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc8bCOOfFs4&feature=player_embedded)

clamchucker
02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
No doubt in my mind and others I associate with that lived through the last one it's coming quicker this time. As it states under my screen name
" Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again"

What happened to the good old days where no one was called in the blitz lasted for hours.
It's amazing how many people flock to some seminars to listen to people that a few years ago were clueless until the bunker and INTERNET made them self proclaimed pros.
So in my eye's I hope a moratorium comes tomorrow or a 1 fish bag limit.
The only other saving grace would 1 at 24 to 28 and 1 over 40 which would give the most prolific breeders a chance to breed.

Never thought I'd live to see them wiped out again but most in the know give it max 5 more years.

I agree with you completely finchaser. I just responded in another thread here.
The signs are on the wall the same as they were in the past.
I have seen quite a bit, from the incredible abundance of the weakfish in Delaware Bay to the decline. The high numbers of striped bass and the decline. I remember being up at Cape Cod. I think it was back in the 1970's. Fishermen were catching and taking huge numbers of the beach in these wheeled carts that were similar to modified wheelbarrows with plywood on the sides. Those were the commercial fishermen and they did a lot of damage. Of course we recreational fishermen were fishing right along side them and although we were allowed less we still kept a lot of big bass. In those days it was mostly the fault of the commercials because there were more of them.

Now there are more of us. I remember before the moratorium the NJ striped bass limit was 18 inches and after that it was 36". I would like to see that size returned to 36" with no slot limit because there are more fishermen. You cannot restrict the numbers of folks who will fish for them so the best restrictions would be on either the size or the catch limit.
There is no need to feel apologetic about discussing this dark skies. I gave you permission to report on things I had told you. Feel free to continue doing that. I don't have the energy for the fight anymore. I would like to see these beautiful fish available to all fishermen without losing them again like we did in the 1980's. This will not happen unless the laws are changed. Conservation measures are admirable but unless you make it so that everyone has to follow the same way it will not work. Keep up the good work folks.

CharlieTuna
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM

This time it's all on us especially the as I refer to them fluke fisherman gone wild. As more and more restrictions are put on fluke and other species more and more rec's charter and head-boats turn to bass. Estimated that over 6 million people fish for bass.
Then came the biggest pain in the as_ in the sea the bunker, which I once helped save will be the demise of the bass do to snag and droppers filling ego's for pictures. in some marina's after the pictures they go into dumpsters where the so called sportsman watch and laugh. as they are referred to Mexican dumpster divers pull them out. Then it's back out for more and lets bring the kids because they are allowed 2 each.They even come here from out of state to snag and drop a trophy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc8bCOOfFs4&feature=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc8bCOOfFs4&feature=player_embedded)[/QUOTE]

Well I wish we saw all the bunker that you do in Jersey but we haven't had good numbers of bunker for 10 years now. I remember the threads about saving the bunker if I remember correctly you all got together in protest. Thank you for doing that at least some were motivated enough to care.

finchaser
02-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Yes we did get the reduction boats out of here in the 80's

Monty
02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Finchaser :HappyWave:, you mentioned Megabaits the other day.
I have a couple 130 and 150 (I think they are (130 on top)).
Wondering why they were not popular? They seem like they should cast well.
I have not fished them, they swim nice?

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_2_27_Megabait_1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_2_27_Megabait_2.jpg

finchaser
02-27-2013, 09:45 PM
top 2 look like JB110's which the mucho minnow is a knock off of. they were extremly popular. The company lost a law suit and was forced out of business

Monty
02-28-2013, 09:55 AM
top 2 look like JB110's which the mucho minnow is a knock off of. they were extremly popular. The company lost a law suit and was forced out of business

When were they popular (years ago)? They look great, finish seem good and the weight also is nice.
I'll take a comparison pic of the Mucho I bought with you Saturday and the JB, it may be the size bigger.

CharlieTuna
02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
When were they popular (years ago)? .
I like them too. Great choice for cold water. Finchaser I remember you had some health issues going on how are you now?

finchaser
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Just noticed the weight in your picture the 110 and Mucho weigh 7/8 ounce so I guess the top 2 smaller ones are the 130 which swim deeper.They were popular in the early 2000's

finchaser
02-28-2013, 12:34 PM
I like them too. Great choice for cold water. Finchaser I remember you had some health issues going on how are you now?

Thanks for asking I'm much better for now. Waiting for the results of a test I took Monday, which could change things

surfstix1963
03-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Give a shout when you get your results Bob.

wish4fish
03-01-2013, 12:30 PM
yeah findude i read the thread where dark said to pray for you so i hope u r better and hope not to argue wit u so much this year if u ever want to come in the back and fish with us its all good. tite lines and good fishin to u!

dogfish
03-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Best wishes for your health finchaser.:HappyWave:

finchaser
03-01-2013, 10:58 PM
thanks guys, for your wishes and prayers, my report came back negative thank god

DarkSkies
03-05-2013, 09:23 AM
"Dear Mr Finchaser:
I am just starting out and learning the saltwater game.
I heard there will be a noreaster on this wednesday.

I wondered if you could offer some advice on this type of fishing as I have heard it can be epic!
I read online and on facebook thats when the real big fish are caught.

Do I fish before, during, or after, to have the best chance of getting a cow?
Should I bring some rope to tie myself to the jetty with?

How about inlets? If I go to one how do I prevent from getting washed in?
And lastly, what would you say is the go-to for fishing - do you recommend clams, or plugs?
Thanks so much for any advice you can offer, Sir." :HappyWave:

finchaser
03-05-2013, 09:42 PM
OK Jr.

In NJ it's very seldom epic in a NE storm do to angle of the wind not the same angle as the "MECA". Except for the change of tide after the calm before the storm when the wind turns northeaster and starts to crank which usually last 1 full tide..
This can be epic at sunrise and has caused me to miss many days of work and other things. After the first tide it howls and water gets super dirty 90% of the time. Then it's time to kick back have a beer and watch TV until the wind goes West or North West.

During a prolonged NE blow bait will be chased by fish into the back allot of times, then I get off the couch and throw Chartruse rubber on a jig head don't own any Storm or Tsunami shads. We use jig heads with forged hooks with different tails as they have out produced the shads for us plus the shads have weak hooks take up too much room in the bagunless of coarse you carry a googan bucket with them.

Me I always fish plugs, bucktails with forged hooks only no Spro, rubber or metal never bait and usually average over 250 to 300 fish a season with out it. IMO game fish chase baitfish never seen one chase a clam and never fished a clam blitz.

In the beginning of the blow I'm big on Super Strike stubby heavy( 2 1/2 ounce) needle fish and Point Jude Poji's because of the keel. If herring are around a 2 ounce Hopkins or 3 ounce T-hex.

In the inlets Super Strike bottle plugs, bucktails (sometimes to 4 ounce) or rip tide 5" mullet tail on a shad style jig head all thrown on a conventional this is no place for a spinning outfit. There is no way you will keep in touch with your offering never mind trying to stop or turn a decent fish down in the current.

If it gets really ugly out front after a big blow I throw a 3 ounce trolling weight with a 18" leader which has 5/0 limerick hook and tube like the one on an Ava or a 6/0 teaser they usually will out fish an Ava when sand eels are stirred up in very rough surf. They can be dragged along the bottom with the teaser or tube a staying a foot off the bottom as it's towed along. The under tow usually pushes an AVA's hook into the sand where it snags shells, but then again nothing better than watching a googan fight a shell screaming I'm in thinking it's a fish.

I fish the beach or sides of jetties IMO no need to go on the jetty in a NE storm unless you are a googan with a death wish(DS) plus most fish are feeding in the wash in a big strom. No fish is worth dying over PFD or not take a shot to the melon and you can't deploy it when you are out cold.

buckethead
03-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Except for the change of tide after the calm before the storm when the wind turns northeaster and starts to crank which usually last 1 full tide..
This can be epic at sunrise and has caused me to miss many days of work and other things. After the first tide it howls and water gets super dirty 90% of the time. Then it's time to kick back have a beer and watch TV until the wind goes West or North West.

Spot on I agree 100%. That time period can be boom or bust but it is fleeting. After that everything turns to brown oatmeal and it is time to sample adult beverages until it is over.

vpass
03-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Nice write-up Fin. I too fish the very beginning of the blow. I'm scared of jetties. I have bad knees that I don't trust, and I did watch one of my friends fall and bashed his head. he was ok, but he got lucky. I do try to go out on them but scare my self off.

Monty
03-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Nice write-up Fin. I too fish the very beginning of the blow. I'm scared of jetties. I have bad knees that I don't trust, and I did watch one of my friends fall and bashed his head. he was ok, but he got lucky. I do try to go out on them but scare my self off.

I also don't do jettys.
Great post Finchaser, thanks :HappyWave:

storminsteve
03-06-2013, 10:12 PM
:clapping:Awesome post finchaser. thanks for the info.

surfstix1963
03-07-2013, 06:17 AM
"EPIC" will no longer be used in fishing vocabulary do to the fact of overfishing or shall I say over-keeping.

finchaser
03-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Epic is a Googan word used over and over by Googans on all sites. I wonder what they would call a 2 or 3 day blitz like we had before all these psycho's wiped them out

DarkSkies
03-08-2013, 08:21 AM
"EPIC" will no longer be used in fishing vocabulary do to the fact of overfishing or shall I say over-keeping.

Epic is a Googan word used over and over by Googans on all sites. I wonder what they would call a 2 or 3 day blitz like we had before all these psycho's wiped them out

You two are absolutely correct.....
I try to talk about how good the fishing was just 8 or 10 short years ago.....and how it has declined since then....

I was looking at an older thread I posted somewhere....reminiscing about how at Sandy Hook, maybe 15-20 years ago. You used to be able to go out to the point, the real Hook (which extended out to the channel, and has since been eroded).

I was talking about how in the middle of the day, you used to be able to go out there, and catch (small) bass, weakfish, fluke, and bluefish...all in the middle of a sunny day.....in August....

I'm talking about a steady catch rate, dozens of fish of these 4 species.... not the sporadic fishing we have now...you couldn't do that in the year 2012, nor could you do it in the 8 years prior...

Now the fishing is relegated (mostly, with the exception of the sporadic blitzes) to dawn, dusk, and night fishing.....the middle of the day bite, as it used to be....has really faded from peoples' memories....

**In some cases fishermen don't have those memories because they haven't been fishing that many years...This became clear to me when in that thread, as I was reminiscing, only one person chimed in, and said he remembered that...the memories of that great all-day action at Sandy Hook....

Some of us remember, but many new fishermen today just don't have that perspective, of how good things really used to be....:(

hookset
03-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I remember sandy hook. The spearing would be thick in the cove there hiding from the curent. You could get all you needed for one day with one drag of the seine net. That was a long time ago. You can't expect people to relate to that. I think back then the cell phones were the size of a brick and most people left them in their cars. Good memories but bittersweet. Surfstix and finchaser couldn't agree with you more. The word epic is one of the most over-used in fishing vocabulary. I posted a definition of internet fishermen on here. I think using epic fishing is part of it. The newbys have no clue what epic really is. 2 hours of a blitz is nowhere near epic.

albiealert
03-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Finchaser thank you for sharing your knowledge. I found that very helpful.

finchaser
03-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Glad I could help you^^^^^

storminsteve
03-10-2013, 09:15 PM
unless you are a googan with a death wish(DS) plus most fish are feeding in the wash in a big strom. No fish is worth dying over PFD or not take a shot to the melon and you can't deploy it when you are out cold.

I think he has taken more than a few shots to the melon while fishing out there. No other way to explain the manic energy and delusions. (Sorry dark, I'm still planning revenge from your texting "blitz" the other day.):moon: :HappyWave:

storminsteve
03-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Except for the change of tide after the calm before the storm when the wind turns northeaster and starts to crank which usually last 1 full tide..

During a prolonged NE blow bait will be chased by fish into the back allot of times, then I get off the couch and throw Chartruse rubber on a jig head don't own any Storm or Tsunami shads. We use jig heads with forged hooks with different tails as they have out produced the shads for us plus the shads have weak hooks take up too much room in the bagunless of coarse you carry a googan bucket with them.

Me I always fish plugs, bucktails with forged hooks only no Spro, rubber or metal never bait and usually average over 250 to 300 fish a season with out it. IMO game fish chase baitfish never seen one chase a clam and never fished a clam blitz.

In the beginning of the blow I'm big on Super Strike stubby heavy( 2 1/2 ounce) needle fish and Point Jude Poji's because of the keel. If herring are around a 2 ounce Hopkins or 3 ounce T-hex.

In the inlets Super Strike bottle plugs, bucktails (sometimes to 4 ounce) or rip tide 5" mullet tail on a shad style jig head all thrown on a conventional this is no place for a spinning outfit. There is no way you will keep in touch with your offering never mind trying to stop or turn a decent fish down in the current.

:thumbsup:Fantastic wealth of experience thanks for posting that. Wondering how many years it took you to learn what you just shared with us here?

Monty
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
V-pass

http://store.guidessecret.com/mucho-minnow/ (http://store.guidessecret.com/mucho-minnow/)

Pic of Mucho Minnow and MegaBait JB110 (MegaBait on top) Thank you for the heads up on the Mucho Minnow Finchaser

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_3_10_MB_MM2.jpg

finchaser
03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
your welcome

baitstealer
04-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Finchaser :HappyWave:, you mentioned Megabaits the other day.
I have a couple 130 and 150 (I think they are (130 on top)).
Wondering why they were not popular? They seem like they should cast well.
I have not fished them, they swim nice?

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_2_27_Megabait_1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_2_27_Megabait_2.jpg

Finchaser do you have an opinion on the difference of the longer ones and the smaller ones? Which catch better in your experience? Does it matter when the water is colder? I would think from what I read on this site that smaller is better for the early spring. They also say spearing can be pretty large this time of year. so I was wondering if you think that a different length would make a difference? thank you

finchaser
04-02-2013, 01:53 PM
I like the shorter ones IMO they cast,swim better and don't dive as deep. i also don't like any plugs with 3 sets of trebles,they sbo too much damage to fish. I also crush the barbs on all treble hooks makes unhooking fish and people easier. I use them year round and have always caught good on them even fish in the 20# range, remember elephants eats peanuts too. This time of year the spearing are bigger because they are winter spearing that are just starting to move out as the waters warm and the smaller summer spearing arrive. No matter what there are always bait fish in the 4 to 5 inch range around except for rainfish. Hope this answers your question

speedy
04-02-2013, 02:34 PM
1. You all know Finchaser as the Old Grouchy Basstard. There is a lot more to the old salt than that. He has been fishing for over 55 years, has been in some of the top Surf Clubs, and fished for just about every Salt species that can be caught on the NJ/NY Coast.
He's one of the top rod builders out there, doing most of the contract work for the tackle shops in 2 counties.

.:dhe`s just great person just think about if we go to school on him ( would be smart ) he knows great deal .every time i talk to him i learn some thing new great guy !!!!!!!!!!! glad he`s my freind too.

cowherder
04-02-2013, 09:06 PM
he`s just great person just think about if we go to school on him ( would be smart ) he knows great deal .every time i talk to him i learn some thing new great guy !!!!!!!!!!! glad he`s my freind too.

x2 I have learned a lot from you guys here especially finchaser. I don't know why dark calls him grouchy have never noticed that here except when those 2 argue.:argue:

madcaster
04-02-2013, 10:06 PM

Fin ...Has there every been a pencil with a groovecut down the side. I hoping that it throw a lot more water. I'll still have to test swim it

finchaser
04-02-2013, 10:42 PM
never seen one let me know how it swims

DarkSkies
04-03-2013, 08:15 AM
x2 I have learned a lot from you guys here especially finchaser. I don't know why dark calls him grouchy

He is the grouchiest SOB you would ever want to meet....:laugh:
On a good day....he's willing to insult life-long friends, at the drop of a hat....you should see the bickering and insults that are traded back and forth daily at Castaways B&T....it's an old fart grouch fest, with the OGB at the top of his game....and that's on a good day.....;)

On bad days...he pulls no punches at all...rapid fire delivery on what's wrong with most of our major politicians, welfare-recipients, fishing managers, and internet fishermen....no group is spared when it comes to calling them out on their idiocy.....

That's the generation he comes from....When men were real men, and not afraid to speak their minds.....:thumbsup:.....and other men didn't whine and cry about hurt feelings every time they got yelled at.....

Although I call it grouchy, grumpy, etc....you really have to experience it to understand it......
I wouldn't have it any other way....if a few days go by and he isn't grumping at me about something....I worry about the old fart.......
Because, deep down, there is honesty....no BS...no patronizing....just real talk.....and IMO that kind of talk is missing from many conversations we have in America today......

Hail the Grouches of the world.....and listen to the truth coming from them, if you can handle it.....:cool: :thumbsup:

ledhead36
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM
On bad days...he pulls no punches at all...rapid fire delivery on what's wrong with most of our major politicians, welfare-recipients, fishing managers, and internet fishermen....no group is spared when it comes to calling them out on their idiocy.....

That's the generation he comes from....When men were real men, and not afraid to speak their minds.....:thumbsup:.....and other men didn't whine and cry about hurt feelings every time they got yelled at.....

Hail the Grouches of the world.....and listen to the truth coming from them, if you can handle it.....:cool: :thumbsup:

:clapping:Amen brother!

rockhopper
05-31-2013, 12:59 PM
finchaser I have read a lot of your posts here saying the stripers are headed for a crash. If there were some way for it not to crash and for us to keep fishing what would your recommendations be? thanks

finchaser
06-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Sorry for the delay been super busy. We need new regulations like 1 fish 26" to 28" (an eating size) and 1 fish over 36". Protects the prolific breeders in the 32 to 36" range and protects the fish over 36" as the snag and drop guys only get to keep 1 not 2. This still maintains a 2 fish per person limit. this was done last time they were in trouble and they rebounded pretty quickly.

robmedina
06-17-2013, 11:01 AM
That's the generation he comes from....When men were real men, and not afraid to speak their minds.....:thumbsup:.....and other men didn't whine and cry about hurt feelings every time they got yelled at. I had my best personal growth as a man from a guy like this.

Sorry for the delay been super busy. We need new regulations like 1 fish 26" to 28" (an eating size) and 1 fish over 36". Protects the prolific breeders in the 32 to 36" range and protects the fish over 36" as the snag and drop guys only get to keep 1 not 2. This still maintains a 2 fish per person limit. this was done last time they were in trouble and they rebounded pretty quickly. How can we go about doing this?

williehookem
08-01-2013, 05:27 PM
There have not been a lot of big blues inshore this year. Offshore they are all over the place. Any thoughts why?

finchaser
08-01-2013, 05:33 PM
this year tons of bait ( sardines, sand eels and squid) and more constant water temps off shore. They spawn in the deep end of July into August and some years don't come back in

cowherder
08-24-2013, 12:34 PM
We need new regulations like 1 fish 26" to 28" (an eating size) and 1 fish over 36". Protects the prolific breeders in the 32 to 36" range and protects the fish over 36" as the snag and drop guys only get to keep 1 not 2. This still maintains a 2 fish per person limit. this was done last time they were in trouble and they rebounded pretty quickly.

How can we go about doing this?

Not meaning to cause an argument finchaser but do you think the charter and party boats will ever agree to this? Don't they have a strong lobby? I agree with you I think it would be great. How reasonable is it to think it will happen?

finchaser
08-24-2013, 02:26 PM
They have no lobby they attend the same meetings as the recreational only they have more people show up. The recreational are all mouth on the internet but leave meetings it up to the other guy who are few and far between. I think it will in time do to the RFA and the people who go to meetings. The JCAA does sh_t except promote there fluke tournament . they no longer ask for club options they do next to nothing. People are getting wise to them they usually have 1000 boats participate as of Monday they had 200 for todays event worse ever.

buckethead
09-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Sorry to be so negative but you say they waffled the last time. They might do the same this time. I am sick and tired of reading on the internet sites how all the best fishermen say there are less bess available. Then it comes down to the meeting and they don't do something about it!.

We need new regulations like 1 fish 26" to 28" (an eating size) and 1 fish over 36". Protects the prolific breeders in the 32 to 36" range and protects the fish over 36" as the snag and drop guys only get to keep 1 not 2. This still maintains a 2 fish per person limit. this was done last time they were in trouble and they rebounded pretty quickly.

Some bad news.
The latest NOAA assessment was published. Well they waffled again.
Anyone want to help make sense of this?
They say striped bass are not being overfished nor is overfishing occurring. Someone want to explain when they get a chance? This is distressing. Another nail in the coffin. What's it going to take for them to see the trees in the forest? :huh:

How is that going to happen if they can't even agree between the NOAA and the ASMFC? ASMFC says striped bass numbers are down. NOAA says there is no overfishing. Does anyone at these think tanks actually fish? If they did they would see the decline for themselves.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this finchaser. I asked dark the same question. Can it be fixed without a further decline and moratorium? I don't think so. We are headed down the same path we did in the late 70's.
NOAA paper Aug 30,2013
http://nefsc.noaa.gov/publications/crd/crd1314/ (http://nefsc.noaa.gov/publications/crd/crd1314/)

striped bass part
http://nefsc.noaa.gov/publications/c...1314/partb.pdf (http://nefsc.noaa.gov/publications/crd/crd1314/partb.pdf)

Here is part of it. Maybe you or someone else here can outline the rest. It's not good news no matter how you look at it.

B. ATLANTIC STRIPED BASS ASSESSMENT SUMMARY FOR 2013State of the Stock:

In 2012, the Atlantic striped bass stock was not overfished or experiencing overfishingrelative to the new reference points from the 2013 SAW/SARC57 (Figure B1-B3). Femalespawning stock biomass (SSB) was estimated at 61.5 thousand mt (136 million lbs), above the
SSB threshold of 57,904 mt, but below the SSB target of 72,380 mt.

hookset
09-21-2013, 01:15 PM
The latest NOAA assessment was published. Well they waffled again.
Anyone want to help make sense of this?
They say striped bass are not being overfished nor is overfishing occurring. Someone want to explain when they get a chance? This is distressing. Another nail in the coffin. What's it going to take for them to see the trees in the forest? :huh:

How is that going to happen if they can't even agree between the NOAA and the ASMFC? ASMFC says striped bass numbers are down. NOAA says there is no overfishing. Does anyone at these think tanks actually fish? If they did they would see the decline for themselves.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this finchaser.

I am confused as well. You have 2 offices in the gov't with 2 separate bureaucraciies. Is it any wonder they can't get their **** together? This sucks. Maybe by 2015 they will be willing to see the drop in bass fishing. Ask the Capts at Montauk why they are not bass fishing all day and have shifted their focus to groundfish. Yup the bass stocks are very healthy. I have a very cheap bridge I am selling too. It's in Brooklyn.
Finchaser, your opinion and thoughts?

finchaser
09-21-2013, 10:28 PM
NOAA makes the rules and sets quotas. Since Obama NOAA is run by ex PEW person put into the position when Dr. Lubichenco resigned ( she was appointed by Obama right after he got in and had strong ties to PEW) I believe none of them fish.

They don't want any recreational fisherman as they want to institute fish shares that the mighty OBAMA and his followers are in favor of . Fish shares almost destroyed Canada's fishery.

The ASMFC more or less does the recommending for the northeast.

Then there is a group MRFSS(Marine Recreational Fishing Statistics Survey) that does the studies and recommends how the fisheries are. Bush ordered them abolished in 2008 due to antiquated fish science methods they use are in some cases detrimental. Obama from day 1 to the present has overlooked it and supports them.

We would have had changes but Tom Fote of the JCAA reported to them that there are more bass than ever. He did this with out asking one club which when we started the JCAA back in the 80's was suppose to speak on behalf of all clubs. So as you can see it's one big bureaucratic cluster fu_k.

Fish shares loom in the future and in most cases are not favored by commercial fisherman and would completely eliminate all recreational fishing. Quotas are sold to large companies that don't even need to be in the seafood business. Very easy for NOAA and company to over see and funds can go to big government that supports them.

So if you want to eat fish off to the fish market you go.

From what I hear the new stock assessment is not going in our favor. If and when the bass collapse it will be on the shoulders of recreational not the commercials.

plugginpete
09-22-2013, 12:22 PM
We would have had changes but Tom Fote of the JCAA reported to them that there are more bass than ever. He did this with out asking one club which when we started the JCAA back in the 80's was suppose to speak on behalf of all clubs. So as you can see it's one big bureaucratic cluster fu_k.

How did one guy get the power to represent all the clubs without consulting them? In LI we have LIBBA and the NYCRF. Willy Young is kind of like the Godfather in these organizations but he has the support of all or most of the membership. Willy is not always popular in his views but he really does seem to know what is best for the fishermen. And he has been fighting for us for about 50 years or something like that. If he were to ever do something without the support of the groups he would be replaced.

Can I ask you why this guy Fote hasn't been replaced? After all you said he is speaking out and voting without representing the rank and file. If he is doing this why don't you guys vote him out and put in another fisherman? No disrespect meant but that sounds like it really sucks. Along with the NOAA assessment. There is no way that the SB are not overfished. At Montauk the surf fishing right now is terrible and the only way to get a bass is to hop on a boat. Idiots.:burn:

clamchucker
09-22-2013, 01:15 PM
From what I hear the new stock assessment is not going in our favor. If and when the bass collapse it will be on the shoulders of recreational not the commercials.

I heard the same thing this stock assessment is not accurate. The conditions now are almost exactly the same as they were in 1980. The only difference is that back then there were a lot less fishermen. Now the decline is much more precipitous because there are more fishing recreationally.

You can use an example of back then it was like when the pioneers killed the buffalo with rifles. Although they killed hundreds of thousands they were doing it inefficiently. Take this to modern times like 2008-2013. Now with all the electronics and modern methods you can use the example of the buffalo being pushed off the cliff by a bulldozer. That bulldozer is the recreational anglers and modern technology. The stripers are represented by the buffalo. If the NOAA is unwilling to recognize this there is not much that can be done. Unless you get a national lobbying group like the RFA to get involved. Never in my lifetime did I think I would see this decline again.

buckethead
09-23-2013, 10:32 AM
IYou can use an example of back then it was like when the pioneers killed the buffalo with rifles. Although they killed hundreds of thousands they were doing it inefficiently. Take this to modern times like 2008-2013. Now with all the electronics and modern methods you can use the example of the buffalo being pushed off the cliff by a bulldozer. That bulldozer is the recreational anglers and modern technology. The stripers are represented by the buffalo. If the NOAA is unwilling to recognize this there is not much that can be done. Unless you get a national lobbying group like the RFA to get involved. Never in my lifetime did I think I would see this decline again.

Great analogy, I agree. By the time NOAA admits there is a problem it will be too late. We will be fishing for bluefish and sea robins. It's a shame because now as compared to the past there is more research techniques and methods available for accessment. There are the YOY surveys, trawl surveys, and all sorts of newfangled scientific methods. Unfortunately as finchaser said most of these scientists do not get out there and fish. The only way to see the decline is to be part of fishing. Extrapolating trends from data may work for the financial markets. Doesn't always work for the fishing stocks though as was evidenced by the need for the SSFFF to be created to fight the inaccurate scientific assessments about the fluke numbers.

DarkSkies
02-05-2014, 08:01 AM
By the time NOAA admits there is a problem it will be too late. We will be fishing for bluefish and sea robins. It's a shame because now as compared to the past there is more research techniques and methods available for accessment. There are the YOY surveys, trawl surveys, and all sorts of newfangled scientific methods. Unfortunately as finchaser said most of these scientists do not get out there and fish. The only way to see the decline is to be part of fishing.

Well-said bucket. I was having a similar conversation yesterday with one of the veteran fishermen who has been active in fisheries management issues for a few decades. He compared the stats he is recording now, with the 5 years before the moratorium in 1982. Unfortunately, he and I both agree that organizations like NOAA, NMFS, and ASMFC are about 3 years behind, when it comes to analysis of the data.

WE are definitely seeing what they do not yet want to admit, and it may too late before they decide to modify the striped bass regs. He was predicting that full scale bass changes and catch limits probably won't happen until 2015.

DarkSkies
02-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Time to lighten up this thread a bit......

Finchaser, I have a question for ya.......

1. When the Striped bass season opens in NJ, and if I want to fish clams, can I fish 4 hooks on my rig at one time?
2. What would you suggest I do if I am lucky enough to catch 3 or 4 bass simultaneously on this rig?

Thank you for your sage advice.....:HappyWave:

** (I already contacted some of ya's back channel......please join me in coming up with these creative questions for the notoriously grouchy basstid.....):d

finchaser
02-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Your a Googan no one will make fun of you go for it

Take a picture to prove you are King of the Googans and don't forget your bucket

cowherder
02-05-2014, 09:32 AM
^^^^^Cool, the Finchaser vs Dark smackdown. Funny stuff finchaser. finchaser 1, dark 0! :laugh:
I have a question. If you and dark were fishing one mile apart, on a new moon night, who would be able to find the other one first?

finchaser
02-05-2014, 12:23 PM
If he was up wind of me piece of cake

Monty
02-05-2014, 02:39 PM
If he was up wind of me peace of cake
Was it two or three years ago when he had the waders that were legendary stinky that he went to your house and you hosed him off before he could go in?

finchaser
02-05-2014, 06:16 PM
3 had to blast him with febreeze

DarkSkies
03-24-2014, 10:25 AM
^ You mooks won't let a guy live anything down...will ya's...:moon:
I slept in a (clean) porta john, one time....
I ate a sammich soaked in rotten clam juice, one time.....:upck:...paid for that mistake with the runs.....:(
Slept in my fishing clothes and waders.....only a few times.......when it was windy I peed on myself....only a few times.....:kooky:
I take a shower every day.....when it's fishin season there are times when I may skip a day.....oh what's the use..:don't know why:..anything I say only makes the hole bigger I'm digging for myself here......:o.....:2flip: :laugh: :HappyWave:....carry on...people.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Question for the OGB......

Was there ever a time, in your life....
When ya weren't such a grouchy, cantankerous, cynical, crabby, gloom and doom...SOB?
Take us back to that time.....tell us about it......
Would love to hear some positivity...for once.....:bigeyes: :HappyWave:

finchaser
03-24-2014, 11:20 AM
yes when I was in an incubator

I am always positive just when it pertains to fishing issues as in quota's etc. it like shoveling sh_t against the tide. I get a lot of info I can't pass on and will not sugar coat things that's how I am. I think my screen name should be changed to OGB

Here's a positive NOTE: NY got part of our fluke quota we were raised to 18" now they are crying to Senator Schumer ( who got this forced on us) they don't want to be regional partners with NJ unless they can start their season on May 1st not May 23rd
Look surprised when you hear this.

storminsteve
03-24-2014, 03:04 PM
:HappyWave:maybe you need some happy pills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeOYDyD5R7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9EE0_gd8OA

finchaser
04-08-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm always happy DS portrays me as unhappy and grouchy especially when I don't support him on his crusades when I call a spade a shovel. SS thanks for the music

seamonkey
04-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Thank you for sharing your knowledge finchaser. I have learned a lot from the threads here.

ledhead36
04-08-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm always happy DS portrays me as unhappy and grouchy especially when I don't support him on his crusades when I call a spade a shovel. SS thanks for the music

Fc - all due respect but the only guys I know who are happy all the time are either high or can afford to go to the go go bar 5 nights a week.
You should come and hang out with us at the go go rama one night before fishing. You will do the happy dance for sure. Either that or Svetlana from russia or Sari from Brazil will make you very happy.:HappyWave:

bababooey
04-08-2014, 04:32 PM
I know ggr.:pig:
Let me know when, I'm in. (sidebar- finchaser I have found the russky chicks rather cold. Spend your money on the Zillians. They are a better return for the buck.)

finchaser
04-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Fc - all due respect but the only guys I know who are happy all the time are either high or can afford to go to the go go bar 5 nights a week.
You should come and hang out with us at the go go rama one night before fishing. You will do the happy dance for sure. Either that or Svetlana from russia or Sari from Brazil will make you very happy.:HappyWave:

After facing near death experiences a few times I stay pretty happy and don't let much bother me except DS crusades

finchaser
06-04-2014, 11:06 PM
6 to 8 pm 11 bluefish to 9# all on modified SP minnow all still swimming

jigfreak
06-05-2014, 12:14 AM
finchaser what is the modified SP?

finchaser
06-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Here you go jigfreak

After some serious testing of many hook combinations we found the best hook combination for an SP still retaining its action is. Replace belly hook with a VMC 2/0 (4x strong) crushed barbs on a 5.5hd (80#) SS split ring. For the rear a 4/0 SS Swiash nylon dressed hook. In a side by side test the modified swam as good if not better and caught like the stock on both bass and blues. Single rear made unhooking the yellow eyed demons easier

cowherder
06-05-2014, 03:36 PM
. finchaser thanks for sharing your old school knowledge will have to try that.

dogfish
08-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Finchaser if you had to pick one to get stranded on a desert island with, which one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1lx8OesVwg

albiealert
08-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Very nice dogfish. Some reeeeeeaaaaaall happy girls there!

plugginpete
08-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Wow thanks for sharing. Do I have to pick just one I want them all.

DarkSkies
07-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Hey Mr Finchaser.....

I want to take my kayak out over the bunker schools and troll bunker spoons over the pods....

Looking for some big cow bass.....:bigeyes:

Can you give me some tips on how to troll bunker spoons?
And if I should use wire line or not?

A buddy of mine told me to put hot dogs on the bunker spoon hooks. That way the bass will find them quicker. Do you know what kinds of hot dogs we should use?

Thanks.....;) :HappyWave:

finchaser
07-24-2015, 03:28 PM
can't be done in a kayak

DarkSkies
07-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Awwwwww...not the answer I was looking for.......where's your sense of humor, ya grouchy basstid? :moon:
Looking for a little light humor here....

I forgot to let ya know I will be bringing a 110 QT ice filled giant cooler on the yak to keep those bass tasty and fresh.:rolleyes: :plastered: :kiss: :HappyWave:

seamonkey
07-24-2015, 07:20 PM
haha 100 quart cooler? That's crazy! Here is a better idea you can tow one behind you lol.

cowherder
07-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Um I think he was being sarcastic about the big cooler. Although you can never be too sure about DS.:kooky:
Sorry dark had to say it you are not exactly normal! :HappyWave:

J Barbosa
08-11-2015, 10:41 AM
can't be done in a kayak

Since you said that I will have to try trolling spoons from the kayak one day just for the fun of it...

Mr. Finchaser,

Any idea why there so much Mackerel inshore in NJ this time of year?

finchaser
08-11-2015, 11:47 AM
they are thimble eye not Boston and they always use to be when you were just a twinkle in your fathers eye

buckethead
08-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Bostons? Does anyone remember when the whiting used to wash up on the winter beach in long branch and sea bright? Do they remember when we had 2 definite seasons for mackerel, spring and fall? Most of these folks are probably too young to remember those days finchaser. Well it just shows how old we really are getting.
That's why I appreciate my walks at the beach in the morning. Even if I get skunked it still lubes the old creaky joints.:)

finchaser
08-12-2015, 06:44 AM
Bostons? Does anyone remember when the whiting used to wash up on the winter beach in long branch and sea bright? Do they remember when we had 2 definite seasons for mackerel, spring and fall? Most of these folks are probably too young to remember those days finchaser. Well it just shows how old we really are getting.
That's why I appreciate my walks at the beach in the morning. Even if I get skunked it still lubes the old creaky joints.:)

So true we are the old guys answering the questions we once asked except the good old days pertaining to all the fish we once caught will never return.

A dear friend who died many years ago once told me when you refer to the good old days you will be old like me time passes fast enjoy it.

J Barbosa
08-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info Finchaser!

There are some advantages to being older than dirt...with that said this one is for you:

Senior Driving

As a senior citizen was driving down the freeway, his car phone rang.
Answering, he heard his wife's voice urgently warning him,
"Herman, I just heard on the news that there's a car going the wrong way on Interstate 77.
Please be careful!"
”Heck”,said Herman,
"It's not just one car. It's hundreds of them!"

finchaser
08-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks
John

DarkSkies
08-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info Finchaser!

There are some advantages to being older than dirt..

Not only is he older than dirt......the grouchy basstid has barnacles growing on him......:laugh: :kiss: :HappyWave:

VSdreams
08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Dude you know thats physically impossible.:whoo:

DarkSkies
08-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Finchaser supporters abound everywhere......:HappyWave:
But I'm telling ya's...

he's older than dirt....
the barnacles hanging from him....have barnacles growing on them....;)
and when he rants and raves...:argue: :plastered:......it's like a big icy cold wind just came down the Coast....almost like an Ice Age.....:scared: :laugh:

If I ever get to make a new west wind wally video he'll be one of the stars.....:clapping: :HappyWave:
Along with that Seal in training Monty and his surfer suit. :moon: :headbang:

bababooey
08-18-2015, 11:47 AM
pot calling the kettle black? maybe it takes one barnacle to know another barnacle Ds! Hmmmmmmm:lookhappy:

DarkSkies
09-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Nah, we're just slightly different when it comes to meeting and greeting people....

For example....I used to be so friendly to others when we were fishing he used to call me the "mayor".....as in...."What are you effing talking to all these people for do you think you're the ****ing Mayor??" :mad: :beatin::whoo:

Meanwhile.....here's one little story about how friendly he and the old farts are.....:rolleyes:
The details are generalized to protect the innocent......

A few years back....there was an inlet they fished sometimes....and the fish actually could be counted on to show up regularly.......
There was a group of these old farts.......kind of an exclusive club......you had to be part grumpy, or smoke cigars, to get to fish next to them.......

One of the younger guys mugged them one time.......after he did that, he had the nerve, with his girlfriend to walk up to one of the old grouchy farts....show one of them the fish they caught....

It was something like....."Hey Mister see this fish I caught? What do you think of it?"
The response........"What the hell are ya showing me that for?" :argue:

Said younger mugger walks away....never to bother the old grouches again.....:(
True story.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
09-18-2015, 08:43 AM
The Tastycake Man
I got another story for ya's......
Some details and names may have been generalized to keep Anonymity for the old Farts involved.......

He was fishing on a boat the other day.........
The fishing was pretty damn good......

They get called in...by someone else fishing nearby.....
The guy asks for a net...as he has a "big fluke" that he's afraid he will lose.....he doesn't have a net for it....

Finchaser and his friend.....steer over to where the guy is....lend him the net......the guy lands a fluke in the 8# class....:bigeyes:.....

The guy is very grateful....offers his profuse thanks....

All of a sudden a "Booming Voice" comes out of the heavens......
"Hey is that you you old Grouchy Basstid?" (at first the deep booming voice sounded like God speaking to Moses...) but then they realized it wasn't quite the heavens...it was from an undisclosed location........;)

"Do you know who that was who you just helped, you Grouchy Basstid? I can't believe you're actually being nice to someone for once"
(This was all said in good fun...that's what the old Farts do.....bust balls all the time...no place for thin skins in their group.......
Finchaser said he didn't remember. That's what happens when you are older than dirt, and start to lose your memory...:kiss: :moon:)

Turns out.....
The booming voice....was a well-known Capt....who knew Finchaser many years ago when he was a fare on certain party boats regularly.......
The guy he lent the net to....for the doormat....was one of the first mates on that party boat.......and Finchaser actually used to bring Tastycake Cupcakes.....for the mates on each trip.....
Thus he developed the nickname....."Tastycake _ _ _"

It was so long ago....that all of them had forgotten about it....

It took this simple act of kindness...on the part of the Ol Grouchy Basstid...to spark their memories...and get them talking again....for a little bit....about the old times....when he brought Tastycakes to the mates.....
And fished on party boats.....

Ya just can't make this stuff up....Hope ya's enjoyed....there are dozens of stories like this......if I get the old Grouchy basstid's permission...maybe I'll share some more one day.........:fishing: :HappyWave:

finchaser
09-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Better hurry I'm not going to be here forever:don't know why:

jigfreak
09-18-2015, 03:07 PM
The Tastycake Man

Thus he developed the nickname....."Tastycake _ _ _"

Maybe it's just me, but when coming up with cool nicknames for an old salty fisherman, I think the nick name old grouchy basstard has a cooler ring than tasty cake man. It's definitely a story worth sharing tho. Have gotten used to that name and you guys bickering over the years. Just saying.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
09-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Glad ya like that name, jig. I agree.......I have gotten accustomed to calling him the Ol Groucny Basstid too.....and some other 4 letter names that are unprintable here..:laugh:...I'm sure he and the other old Farts say similar outrageous things about me.....it's all good....:fishing: :thumbsup:

We don't bicker as much as we used to...he's gotten mellower with age.....just don't ask him any questions about Obama or the state of US Healthcare.....:scared:

buckethead
09-30-2015, 10:47 AM
X2 on the vote for OGB. Us old farts have to stick together.

storminsteve
09-30-2015, 11:37 AM
I think the OG moniker is catchy as well. also, no offense but I did enjoy the bickering between you guys lol.:d