PDA

View Full Version : ASK Surfstix

finchaser
01-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Surfstix does fantastic teaser and plug work.
So I highly suggest you ask him any questions on teasers plug build or plug tuning as some wood no matter how good the builder sometimes can't be made to swim
All these ASK SO AND so should get us through the winter

buckethead
01-20-2013, 06:04 PM
How did you get started making teasers surfstix?

cowherder
01-20-2013, 06:12 PM
If I could ask also, when you make teasers one of the terms is bucktail siwash that I have heard used here. I think real bucktail, as well as some synthetic version is used. My question to surfstix would be if you had ever compared the two, which do you like better, and why. Thanks. Cool threads finchaser!

DarkSkies
01-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Surfstix does fantastic teaser

and plug work.
So I highly suggest you ask him any questions on teasers plug build or plug tuning as some wood no matter how good the builder sometimes can't be made to swim

Great thread idea, Fin.......:thumbsup:

He also is pretty well versed in
Reading the Water......

Fishing Inlets, relative to different Tides and Seasons.,.....

Fishing Eels.....

Fishing Old School Ways.......

And I feel most grateful to have him answering these questions for you folks here......:HappyWave:
So if any of ya's want to know more about those areas, he's been doing it for over 40 years.....feel free to ask the Crabby Old Basstard......:laugh: :HappyWave:

finchaser
01-21-2013, 01:25 PM
SS I have over 100 teasers mostly tied by be but hate to use them. as a matterof fact I only fish them when they are out fishing plugs. when do you fish them??????

surfstix1963
01-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Buckethead:
Believe it or not I got into tying after my 1st. back surgery back in 2001 I was bored out of my mind and was flipping through a Cabelas catalog and saw a beginners kit and said what the hell and ordered it and then I got my wife to get a book from the library on patterns, man I wish I would have saved them what train wrecks they were.So i've been doing it ever since.

finchaser
01-21-2013, 01:34 PM
forgot to ask how do you attach your teaser to the leader
I use a 1" dropper loop in the leader and a 6" leader and loop to the teaser. I then use a loop to loop to attach to leader this way I can add or remove tease or change color with out ever removing the leader. What do you think as I am not a teaser person.

surfstix1963
01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
If I could ask also, when you make teasers one of the terms is bucktail siwash that I have heard used here. I think real bucktail, as well as some synthetic version is used. My question to surfstix would be if you had ever compared the two, which do you like better, and why. Thanks. Cool threads finchaser!
Bucktail: is a natural material that speaks for itself it is a deer tail very durable used for longer then I can tell you.
Bucktail siwash:Siwash is a type of hook, recently the term you referred to has came about with the recent VMC siwash mania other hook manufacturers make them also.So it is bucktail tied on a siwash hook.

I like bucktail for my tail hooks on my plugs it holds up well, I like the newer synthetic materials for forming bait shapes for teasers the draw back to synthetics is there is so many of them out there you can really start collecting a lot of stuff you may not like it also requires more tension when tying because it tends to spin more on the hook causing the material to gather more on one side giving a lopsided teaser.

storminsteve
01-21-2013, 02:50 PM
the draw back to synthetics is there is so many of them out there you can really start collecting a lot of stuff you may not like it

lol Isn't that the case with a lot of things that catch the fishermans' eye?
Good info here thanks surfstix.

cowherder
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Surfstix thank you for that anwser. Very helpful.

surfstix1963
01-21-2013, 06:21 PM
your welcome.

madcaster
01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
What type of surf bag do you use and what are the pro'd and con's

madcaster
01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
When you wrap your tail loop (on a plug)... is it vertical (like front loop) or horizonal. What do you prefer? and why

surfstix1963
01-22-2013, 08:12 AM
I had a canyon bag for at least 15 years until it finally just gave in.I recently purchased a bag made by Supreme not built as well as my canyon but I don't intend on fishing as hard as I use to so it will work if and when I can get back out there.I've always been a middle of the road guy I don't go high end mainly because it is not in the budget since I don't have a job disability don't pay well and I don't buy garbage either.I don't want anything over 10 tubes you tend to carry too much junk, a good closure is important if you wade out so your plugs don't float out of your bag the bottom line is it depends on how much abuse you are going to put on your equipment my money goes to a decent rod and reel.
What type of surf bag do you use and what are the pro'd and con's

storminsteve
01-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Reading the Water......

And I feel most grateful to have him answering these questions for you folks here......:HappyWave:
So if any of ya's want to know more about those areas, he's been doing it for over 40 years.....feel free to ask the Crabby Old Basstard......:laugh: :HappyWave:

Surfstix, over the weekend I went back and looked at the thread on reading the water. Half of that thread is your posts. thanks so much it must of taken years to learn it that well.
Wanted to ask about inlets what is your favorite tide at an inlet and does that change depending on spring and fall? thanks in advance,

surfstix1963
01-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Just about slack water either tide only early am or at night live eels no weight let them do their own thing/circle hooks you need to pinpoint this accurately you will only have a maximum of an hour generally less.I think I posted a video form Surfcasters journal by crazy Al that explains it well.At this stage of the tide the fish instinctively know they need to re-stage their position, it is also easy for them to pick off food as they move since the slobs are lazy.Other then that I like the front or back side depending on tide don't forget to work the pockets.

surfstix1963
01-22-2013, 09:30 AM
I like to fish them for the reason you mentioned Bob and also when the bait is small and the teaser gives the illusion of the plug trying to eat the teaser causing competition that's why they often take the teaser rather then the plug.As far as rigging goes I will use a dropper off the main leader for the most part I also rig like the pic you can adjust where you want the teaser in relation to the plug/lure you can tie snaps or loops for quick changes. Your way is just fine also.
SS I have over 100 teasers mostly tied by be but hate to use them. as a matter of fact I only fish them when they are out fishing plugs. when do you fish them??????

finchaser
01-22-2013, 03:53 PM
thanks Rich

surfstix1963
01-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Your Welcome Bob.That was just mono line off a spool for an idea, it works a lot nicer with leader material.I actually think that is a Milt Rosco setup.

surfstix1963
01-22-2013, 06:08 PM
I make mine vertical it really doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned just a loop for a hook to hang off of.Not all front loops are vertical metal lips are horizontal.
When you wrap your tail loop (on a plug)... is it vertical (like front loop) or horizonal. What do you prefer? and why

basshunter
01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
I.I've always been a middle of the road guy I don't go high end mainly because it is not in the budget since I don't have a job disability don't pay well and I don't buy garbage either..

sound advice I am the same way too.

porgy75
01-26-2013, 09:52 AM
surfstix you were talking about that bunkaboy have you ever used it in an inlet or just the surf? Would it be better where there is more or less current? thanks

surfstix1963
01-26-2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tjZc_rIkOGQ Looks like it swims just under the surface nice action I don't think it would be all that great in an inlet situation unless the current was slowing most plugs with lips don't do well with a heavy current but you never know I haven't purchased or fished them.

crosseyedbass
02-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Great thread idea, Fin.......:thumbsup:

Fishing Eels.....

Fishing Old School Ways.......

Any thoughts on the best times of year to fish eels? Are there times when you won't fish eels? I know when there are a lot of bluefish around it's too risky but what about other times?

surfstix1963
02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I like to start in Sept.-November ish but very specific tidal stages very short windows your either there or your not max 1 hr. fishing windows.You want to be able to fish no or very little weight in that period the more natural the eel the better off, the blues aren't very active in the slower water so it narrows your shot at chopped up eels.I never fish eels in any current your just asking for eel balls.

madcaster
02-06-2013, 05:52 PM
How do you weight your needles ?....

surfstix1963
02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Depends on what you want from them generally 1 or 2 tailweights will let it sink arse down, some people do put a belly weight just ahead of the front hook to somewhat balance it I like sinkers the bass are near the bottom most of the time.It also depends on the wood your using mahogany and birch are good choices for needles.I also like them to be around 6 or 7 inches long by 3/4" or 4" by 1" if they are stubby's.

blitzhunter
02-06-2013, 07:50 PM
I never fish eels in any current your just asking for eel balls.

Good point, unless you smack em on the head first. I agree

surfstix1963
02-07-2013, 07:09 AM
I never smack them the more natural movement they have the better that's the reason for no weight so they just do their own thing they generally won't ball up when they can swim naturally.The big bass on the move love it that way,let me make it clear that this will not always get you a big fish but it does give you a good shot if they are there.Always use a circle hook non-offset & a fluorocarbon 3 ft. leader and let the fish do the work.Just my opinion

crosseyedbass
02-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks very much surfstix. Good luck to you for 2013!

surfstix1963
02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks hoping to get out some this year.

surfstix1963
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Another thing is I never use braid and eels in inlets always mono.

finchaser
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
What he said^^^

bababooey
02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Ever catch cod in an inlet surfsix? On another forum they were saying they sometimes come into shinnecock in long island. thanks

surfstix1963
02-22-2013, 03:27 PM
No never caught cod in an inlet never heard of it really.I just throw plugs unless it is the time of tide for the eel to come out.Caught a 35 lb. bass in Shinny.

baitstealer
02-26-2013, 11:55 AM
If you don't mind me asking what do you mean by time of tide for eels to come out. Do they move according to the tide too?

surfstix1963
02-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Just about slack water either tide only early am or at night live eels no weight let them do their own thing/circle hooks you need to pinpoint this accurately you will only have a maximum of an hour generally less.I think I posted a video form Surfcasters journal by crazy Al that explains it well.At this stage of the tide the fish instinctively know they need to re-stage their position, it is also easy for them to pick off food as they move since the slobs are lazy.Other then that I like the front or back side depending on tide don't forget to work the pockets.
This is what I mean at this tidal stage I like to fish eels.

cowherder
03-18-2013, 03:58 PM
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8923-new-ones[/URL]

It seems that a lot of plugs around here are now being built with Surfstix' teasers and tails.......

We will eventually start hanging fish on them. As it's still cold out and not many fish are active, you'll have to be content to just look at the good-looking teasers for now.....
stay tuned........:HappyWave:

I was wondering if surfstix or anyone could answer this question. I know teasers work. I have caught a bunch of nice fish at the hook on them. You can tell right away because sometimes you will catch more fish with a teaser. How can you tell the difference on a plug? I ask this because a lot of the custom plugs at the shows have plain hooks and I notice a lot of the plugs here have teasers.
What I mean is will a plug with a teaser on catch more than one without? And in what conditions do you notice this most? thanks guys
'

surfstix1963
03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
I always have a dressed tailhook on all my plugs it just gives it a little more action,it will cut down on your cast somewhat (more drag)compared to bare they both wll work.I use teasers mainly in the fall when sandeels,rainbait,spearing&anchovies are schooling up is when they really seem to shine.I will use them during the summer at night when I can throw big metal lips or swim a SS popper.They used to work well for fluke but I hear if you put GULP on a soda cap you can slay them without teasers lol.

rockhopper
05-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Another thing is I never use braid and eels in inlets always mono.

Why is that? Doesn't mono give you trouble when you go to set the hook? thanks

surfstix1963
05-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Braid and eel balls are not a good match they will eff up that $30 braid in a heartbeat so bring a lot of setups because if you only have one you will miss that tide playing with braid & eels also the circle hook will set itself when the fish takes off with the eel and the line becomes tight they are designed for that. I always use mono for any bait fishing I do which is very limited I like to fool them with lures.

DarkSkies
02-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Mr Surfstix, I have a question:

" How many years does it take to become a Crabby Old Basstard?
Is there a quick start program where one can do it in a short time, or is it like fine wine and the personality needs to be seasoned with age? Thanks for your thoughts. " :laugh: :HappyWave:

surfstix1963
02-18-2014, 08:14 AM
I would go with the fine wine theory.

DarkSkies
02-19-2014, 08:03 AM
^ Circa 1900? :laugh: :HappyWave:

buckethead
02-19-2014, 12:12 PM
hey dark do you have something against us old folks?:HappyWave:

Monty
02-19-2014, 12:52 PM

When ya hit 50 its like hitting a wall....and its a lot more difficult to get up.

DarkSkies
02-21-2014, 10:13 AM

When ya hit 50 its like hitting a wall....and its a lot more difficult to get up.

Nothing really against (older) folks....I belong to that group....just a little ball busting.....
I've since thought about it....Surfstix, when you get to know him....does not fit the profile of finely aged wine.....more like a snortful of Jack Daniels....:headbang:.straight up...no BS.....with accompanying rants, once ya get him started...in the same mold as Finchaser.......just pick a controversial topic...and the Crabby Old Basstid will rant away......;) :HappyWave:

blitzhunter
02-21-2014, 11:33 AM
the older you get the better. Rather have an old seasoned muscle car than a new small mosquito car with the high buzzing engines.

DarkSkies
03-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Just a simple question there, Surf.....:HappyWave:
As I get older, I seem to be getting crabbier and more cynical...fishermen apathy is really getting to me..along with the disrespect of a few out there to homeowners...a few bad apples...ruining it for us all.....

Do you have those issues, or are you mellowing with age....:)

surfstix1963
03-22-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm just more crabby and less tolerant of many people perhaps part of the reason is I have a lot on my plate right now.

DarkSkies
07-08-2014, 08:20 AM
I would go with the fine wine theory.

Thank you. It seems the older I get, the more I'm like wine that has soured. :(
And I don't see that changing any time soon. After hanging out with finchaser, I'm damaged. :laugh:

DarkSkies
01-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Material for the ballbusting thread......

Or ya's can ask surfstix a legitimate fishing question......
(he knows a thing or 2 about catching large....back 75 years ago when he was younger....;) :HappyWave:)

surfstix1963
01-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Here is something to live by,learn from your mistakes.

surfstix1963
01-02-2015, 09:23 AM
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

hookedonbass
01-03-2015, 09:46 AM
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Thats a good one. Thats what my girlfriend thinks of me when I come home after being out 6 hours and I don't catch.