Some topic's he excels in
White water fishing
Nautical fishing photography
Marathon fishing how to prepare and execute
Odd catches

buckethead
01-20-2013, 06:03 PM

Monty any idea on the record for marathon fishing. Would you consider yourself in the top of your field?:HappyWave: Great threads finchaser. If this doesn't hold us through the dreary days ahead we are doomed! the forecast says we won't get another 40+ degree sunny day till the end of January.

cowherder
01-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Holy moly how about fishing finchaser? Monty has caught a lot of fish over the years. I remember reading his reports and seeing the pics. Are we allowed to ask him fishing questions as well?

Monty
01-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Holy moly how about fishing finchaser? Monty has caught a lot of fish over the years. I remember reading his reports and seeing the pics. Are we allowed to ask him fishing questions as well?
:HappyWave:

Anyone need some tips on catches like this, fire away....:ROFLMAO

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2009_wtfb.jpg
A double!!

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_20_NF.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_10_16_SG1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_9_25_Fish.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_9_23_fish.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_4_Catch1.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_7_15_f1a.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_7_8_SR.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2008_odd_catch.jpg

Monty
01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Monty any idea on the record for marathon fishing. Would you consider yourself in the top of your field?:HappyWave:
:HappyWave: :ROFLMAO
Dark kind of put my normal 8-10 hour beach walks to shame this fall/winter :kooky:. I think he did like an 18 or 28 hour outing. So as far as an S and A Marathon record, Dark has it (he may have been out there for days a few times :thumbsup:). As far as being in the top of my field...., I got lost a few years ago in the fog in a field....could not find the beach or vehicle, eventually got out.

DarkSkies
01-21-2013, 01:29 PM
We all bust Monty here about fishing countless hours and sometimes not catching..:wheeeee:....it's all in fun, and I would hope people understand that......:HappyWave:

Some may not know, that his perseverance has allowed him to get into fish others are seeking, and can not find sometimes.....

Disregarding the colorful and exotic species he posted up there to show ya's..........
(BTW I think the shoe-fish is an absolute classic!) :clapping: :laugh:
Monty has been pretty good at catching albies, when others aren't.......

I would like folks to think about this....when everyone else is catching, it should be easy for you to catch, as well....
What about when they are not.....and you are able to manage a few?.....I think that's strong indication of talent and perseverance, with a little luck mixed in.....

DarkSkies
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
The year the albies didn't show.....
The albies didn't really show one year.....I think it was back around 2007 or 2008.....I have friends who have the financial means to chase after them every day when the rest of us are hard at work slaving to make a paycheck.....fishing every day should pay off....but in one of the years mentioned above....very few guys scored albies from the surf...........

Yet Monty did......in a place where they don't often show up.......
So to me, that says a lot about his perseverance and unwillingness to give up in pursuit of a goal......:clapping: :HappyWave:

I say this to maybe give you members some other things you might want to ask him about......:thumbsup:

Monty
01-21-2013, 02:46 PM
We all bust Monty here about fishing countless hours and sometimes not catching..:wheeeee:....it's all in fun, and I would hope people understand that......:HappyWave:

Some may not know, that his perseverance has allowed him to get into fish others are seeking, and can not find sometimes.....

And to catch fish that others are not seeking.:HappyWave:
That Lizard fish was a real surprise for me..on a popper. And that shoe-fish almost got away (check the hook set), no wonder I lost so many fish this year.
Rather than thinking I have "perseverance", I'm going to go with I like fishing. The longer, the better for me. Fish or no fish. The fun for me is trying to find them and trick them. If I can fish 3 hours, great. 6 hours better. 10 hours awesome. My family and job take precedence over fishing. Dark your 28 hour outing made me very jealous big time.

storminsteve
01-21-2013, 02:48 PM
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_11_20_NF.jpg

Is that a spearing or a sandeel you snagged on that plug monty?
Can you share about the false albacore story?

Monty
01-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Is that a spearing or a sandeel you snagged on that plug monty?
Can you share about the false albacore story?
I think that it was a sandeel.

In 2008 I was ocean side (by my rock), around 7:00 AM, I had caught a few bass and blues earlier, was a nice morning. I was throwing an orange/red head pencil with a deceiver as a teaser. Fishing a rip that was a couple hundred feet out. Had a hit and missed (pretty normal sequence for me). Then a couple casts later I was into a fish that had my reel screaming. Landed and released my first Albie, a great surprise (actually two, 1 that it was an albie, 2 that I landed it). What a great rush fighting that fish, I was shaking from the adrenalin rush after the release. I hooked into another this year and lost it (I had a bad case of the "lost it, #**&%!!!" this year) during its drag screaming run .

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2008_albi_city.jpg

storminsteve
01-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the response Monty. Awesome albie story!:drool: Sounded like a great day. Even loosing albies is a blast. Screaming drag is something to remember on a cold winter day like today. Any estimate on how much it weighed?

baitstealer
01-22-2013, 04:05 PM
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2009_wtfb.jpg

You caught a crab and a sand eel on the same treble hook. What are the odds of that? Always enjoy the reports and pics monty. Whether or not you catch the attitude you have in the reports is inspiring. Me I hardly ever catch like some of you guys do, so even those odd fish pics you put up are appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

finchaser
01-22-2013, 04:15 PM
:HappyWave: :ROFLMAO
Dark kind of put my normal 8-10 hour beach walks to shame this fall/winter :kooky:. I think he did like an 18 or 28 hour outing. So as far as an S and A Marathon record, Dark has it (he may have been out there for days a few times :thumbsup:). As far as being in the top of my field...., I got lost a few years ago in the fog in a field....could not find the beach or vehicle, eventually got out.

He came to mug me once at 3:30 PM on a Friday and left around 2PM on a Sunday but he did sleep in the car a few hours here and there. Oh di i mention it was in the upper 80 he was also very ripe smelling

Also arrived at 2PM on a Friday and went home Monday night temps were in the 30's

storminsteve
01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
he was also very ripe smelling

:clapping:Also arrived at 2PM on a Friday and went home Monday night temps were in the 30's

Nutzo. And hilarious at the same time, dark hope you can see the humor in this, I find it hilarious. I think we should chip in for a case of car air fresheners for you. A question, how to you guys deal with the extreme cold? I mean if its 30 degrees or less and you are sleeping in your car, aren't you worried about freezing to death?:scared:

storminsteve
01-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Monty I am still curious how much that albie weighed approximately, if you did weigh it or put it back quickly. Beautiful fish!

DarkSkies
01-31-2013, 10:46 AM
He came to mug me once at 3:30 PM on a Friday and left around 2PM on a Sunday but he did sleep in the car a few hours here and there. Oh di i mention it was in the upper 80 he was also very ripe smelling

Also arrived at 2PM on a Friday and went home Monday night temps were in the 30's

Nutzo. And hilarious at the same time, dark hope you can see the humor in this, I find it hilarious. I think we should chip in for a case of car air fresheners for you. A question, how to you guys deal with the extreme cold? I mean if its 30 degrees or less and you are sleeping in your car, aren't you worried about freezing to death?:scared:

The old grouch complains about me all the time.....so much so that he put a disclaimer in another thread....to distance himself from me....:ROFLMAO...what folks don't realize is that he did the same things, 30 years ago....there are times when I'm out there fishing....radio silence, not a soul but Pebbles knows...and I get a text from him saying "I know you're out there fishing you dillydock"...How would one know these things, unless they also walked the same path earlier in their lives?......:moon: :HappyWave:

Steve....as I have tried to explain over and over....the fish wait for no one......I have made a lot of sacrifices to be around when the fish are feeding, or there is a chance they will be, based on past logs......sometimes folks get jealous when they hear you got into some nice fish....but I wonder how many are willing to make the same sacrifices that I and some friends have, to hunt down and find the fish.......food for thought....:learn:

DarkSkies
01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
1.White water fishing
2. Nautical fishing photography
3. Marathon fishing how to prepare and execute
4. Odd catches

5. Teasers When and How....

He is also the King of teasers that work at Sandy Hook and in White Water......:thumbsup:
There was one fall, right before a noreast pattern was rolling in......
The winds were building, sandeels and rainfish were around......and at 2am there was no one else on the beach.........

I was throwing artificials....trying to figure the pattern....and I didn't start catching quality fish till I tied on one of Monty's red teasers........
They are not the same as the tubes on the diamond jigs.....

For some reason when the bite is slow or the forage is very small...Monty's teasers reign supreme....you new members and guys who want to know about teaser fishing, should direct your questions to Monty....if you want to learn some things.....:thumbsup:

jonthepain
01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]I didn't start catching quality fish till I tied on one of Monty's red teasers........

+1

epoxy sandeel teaser with some flash and red in it...

killer!

buckethead
01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
That must have been 2010. The sand eels were small that year. Nothing like you see at Cape Cod. We were using small sluggos, and had to cut them down to get the bass to hit. Bass can be very picky when on small bait like that. Monty do you have a pic of those teasers. Any stories to go along with it?

surferman
01-31-2013, 12:36 PM
I am curious too. Also how the red would be a go to color when the sandeels are around. Arent they greenish and white? Or is red good for the bay anchovies too?

plugginpete
01-31-2013, 01:17 PM
What do you think about redgill teasers monty?

Monty
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
I never use redgill teasers,I out fished a friend one day 2:1 with these tubes and was amazed how well they worked.
I think this past year the tube teaser still was in my top 3 producers.
I have tried green and white with very little success (especially after green was so hot last year).
Have caught lots of bass and blues with them as teasers on rubber, pencils, wood and metal.
I also like that they are small, less wind resistance on casts than traditional teasers.
Imitate lots of small bait and that color really seems to work at night (and even in the day).
Dragging the rig (rubber teaser and Ava) over a bar in rough water has worked very well (teaser wins 5:1 ratio to the Ava). Favorite has been with the Ava 27, but have had to use the 37 at times to "get it out there".
Was catching with out the eyes, but added them after I had confidence in just the plain rubber teaser.
Have had lots of doubles with the Ava and Rubber Teaser combo.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/Teaser_rub_lot.jpg

Double
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2008_bass_blueb.jpg

Bass on rubber teaser
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2010_10_24_sb1.jpg

finchaser
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Your teaser rig above with the 20 or so tubes must be hard to cast.:huh: All kidding aside the rubber tube as a teaser has been used for years for mackerel ,whiting, cod,sea bass and Pollock why not bass way to go wwm. Also great photogs

storminsteve
02-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Your teaser rig above with the 20 or so tubes must be hard to cast.:huh:

Yeah they would make a great sabiki rig. Monty the longliner! Just kidding great pictures thanks for sharing monty. Nice bass too.:HappyWave:

cowherder
02-04-2013, 04:29 PM
striper on the teaser and blue on the plug must have been an awesome fight monty!

DarkSkies
02-09-2013, 12:46 PM
^ Is that a chartreuse jointed swimmer I see in the last pic? :drool: :HappyWave:

storminsteve
02-09-2013, 12:52 PM
^ Is that a chartreuse jointed swimmer I see in the last pic? :drool: :HappyWave:

Dark the plug ho finding a slick way to ho that plug from monty?:laugh:

baitstealer
02-09-2013, 01:37 PM
what's the story with the eyes on the teasers have you found them to make a difference?

Monty
02-09-2013, 03:51 PM
I really like that plug, its a BC jointed and its caught a few bass for me. But for some reason a few that I have of that one plug, the wood splits. I have a few BC plugs and they are fine, don't split. But this one has a tendency to.

striper on the teaser and blue on the plug must have been an awesome fight monty!
Was fun and caught in my favorite spot.

Dark the plug ho finding a slick way to ho that plug from monty?:laugh:
:ROFLMAO , LOL last time I saw Dark this past fall we said hello and I think we wished each other good look and through a bunch of plugs at each other. It was a very uncoordinated spastic exchange. I then proceeded to get the skunk that night/morning.

what's the story with the eyes on the teasers have you found them to make a difference?
I have no idea if the eyes help. I put them on because it makes me think that that fish may see the eyes and strike the teaser. When I first tried out the rubber teaser without the eyes and caught a few bass and hickory shad I immediately added the eyes next trip thinking it couldn't hurt my chances.

albiealert
02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
The year the albies didn't show.....
The albies didn't really show one year.....I think it was back around 2007 or 2008.....I have friends who have the financial means to chase after them every day when the rest of us are hard at work slaving to make a paycheck.....fishing every day should pay off....but in one of the years mentioned above....very few guys scored albies from the surf...........

Yet Monty did......in a place where they don't often show up.......
So to me, that says a lot about his perseverance and unwillingness to give up in pursuit of a goal......:clapping: :HappyWave:

I say this to maybe give you members some other things you might want to ask him about......:thumbsup:

Monty nice job on the albacore.
They come into the sound but it is hit or miss from shore. It is better to try to get them near montauk or the back side near the beaches of orient point. When I do fish the state parks in my state your best bet is early morning. Is that the time frame you are getting them down there or do they feed differently in your area?
Also that is a nice striper you got on that chartreuse jointed, how big was it?

Monty
02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Nice job on the albacore monty.
They come into the sound but it is hit or miss. It is better to try to get them near montauk or the back side near the beaches of orient point. When I do fish the state parks in my state your best bet is early morning. Is that the time frame you are getting them down there or do they feed differently in your area?
Also that is a nice striper you got on that chartreuse jointed, how big was it?
The False Albie action I have had has been between 7:00 and 10:00 AM (I usually am on the water from 1:00 AM to 10:00 AM). I have seen them a few times the past few years between those hours, lost one this year (I missed or lost a lot of fish this past year :banghead2:).
That bass was somewhere around 35 inches I think (released it), it was caught on the small rubber teaser.

albiealert
02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Imagine that a 35 inch bass on a small rubber teaser. Elephants eating peanuts. We get a lot of schoolies here but the bigger ones only come close in the spring and the fall for a few weeks. In that respect I think you are fortunate. Nice fish and thanks for the response about the albacore too.:HappyWave:

Rip-Plugger
03-04-2013, 07:32 PM
well Monty,I must hand it to you.you know how to catch even odd fish,I remember the hickory shad you caught and the next am I caught one on a clouser[yellow rudolph] but it shook off while I fumbled for my camera.
love your site and love your style.

R-P

bababooey
03-04-2013, 07:43 PM
I think monty is in a class all by himself. I mean that with all due respect.:ROFLMAO Really do enjoy your posts monty. Can't wait till you start posting dead things again. :HappyWave:

finchaser
03-04-2013, 08:01 PM
WWM is a legend and I finally proved to him at dinner the other night he is not even close to Dark when googanism comes into the picture. Dark is in a league all his own

Monty
03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
well Monty,I must hand it to you.you know how to catch even odd fish,I remember the hickory shad you caught and the next am I caught one on a clouser[yellow rudolph] but it shook off while I fumbled for my camera.
love your site and love your style.
R-P
Thanks H-H, you have helped me along big time the last few years, your plugs have caught me a bunch of memories and fish :HappyWave:

I think monty is in a class all by himself. I mean that with all due respect.:ROFLMAO Really do enjoy your posts monty. Can't wait till you start posting dead things again. :HappyWave:

:ROFLMAO :HappyWave: You are right across the hall in your own class too, as mentioned before I always enjoy your posts and humor.

WWM is a legend and I finally proved to him at dinner the other night he is not even close to Dark when googanism comes into the picture. Dark is in a league all his own
:ROFLMAO , Yes, ya had me stumped...I couldn't knock him from his perch.

Not sure if I mentioned this one, but I it still puts me in second place....

Was bay side fishing a river one evening with Greg (wife's son). When we started I heard what sounded like a deep voice behind me saying something I could not understand. I looked behind me and there was nobody. Greg came over, heard it looked around and could not find anything, it would come and go, real deep slow voice, I could make out a word every once and a while. He went back to fishing, I waded out as far as I could go, the voice followed me. I was looking behind me quickly, looking above me, whichever way I turned it was behind me, it was freaking me out big time. After 20-30 minutes of this I finally thought it was coming from my back pack. Went to shore and took it off and found a tiny tape recorder that I used to use when I tagged fish. It had turned on some how, but was plying in the slow mode, which explained the real deep voices and time lags between when I heard things. For a while there I was a bit worried...

Rip-Plugger
03-04-2013, 10:23 PM
I remember that story,had me crying and I finally just fell out on the floor.
how about the bunker that you couldn't catch story?
hahaaa,heheee,,

it has been a pleasure since we started replying,it has been great.

R-P

DarkSkies
03-05-2013, 08:24 AM

:2flip: :moon: :kiss: :ROFLMAO :clapping: :thumbsup:
Ya grouchy basstid, I don't want to steal the guy's thunder here....he does some pretty goog-tastic things on his own...

Googan of the year thread..
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8090-I-win-the-googan-of-the-year-award&highlight=googan+year

And you know no one can touch Monty in the Most Unusual Catch Categories.....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8671-Stripers-And-Anglers-Most-Unusual-Catch-Awards!&highlight=googan+year

Besides, when you and the other old farts used to fish for 2 nights at a time you guys made your share of mistakes, getting washed off jetties, hospital trips, etc, etc......:moon: I think we all had a good time listening to your stories at the Windmill that night..no matter how embellished they were....:laugh: :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Not sure if I mentioned this one, but I it still puts me in second place....

Was bay side fishing a river one evening with Greg (wife's son).

When we started I heard what sounded like a deep voice behind me saying something I could not understand. I looked behind me and there was nobody. Greg came over, heard it looked around and could not find anything, it would come and go, real deep slow voice, I could make out a word every once and a while.

He went back to fishing, I waded out as far as I could go, the voice followed me.

I was looking behind me quickly, looking above me, whichever way I turned it was behind me, it was freaking me out big time. After 20-30 minutes of this I finally thought it was coming from my back pack. Went to shore and took it off and found a tiny tape recorder that I used to use when I tagged fish. It had turned on some how, but was plying in the slow mode, which explained the real deep voices and time lags between when I heard things.

For a while there I was a bit worried...

Never heard that one...but as I read it I had trouble typing this I was laughing so hard. Out there is spooky on a new moon. You hear trees rustling on the way out. The way things are set up, and the paths themselves can get eerie in complete darkness on a windy night. Sandy Hook is rich in pirate history as well. With that deep voice it could have sounded like ghosts from pirates past.....classic.

You know I have to post in Story of the Month to preserve this special story...:laugh: thanks for the laughs. :clapping: :clapping: :HappyWave:

I remember that story,had me crying and I finally just fell out on the floor.
how about the bunker that you couldn't catch story?
hahaaa,heheee,,
R-P

Cmon Monty I never heard this one either....spill it! :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

vpass
04-14-2013, 10:16 AM
When I say I caught a fish on some type of rubber, most of the time they are made by the "Mad Man of Rubber" :ROFLMAO
I also need to thank "The Mad Man :ROFLMAO " for getting me to fish the white rubber when the sky starts lighting up, has gotten me a few bass and I am throwing it more often as I get more confidence in it (adrenalin rush when I can see the bass take it on top).

A 35 inch bass taken on one of "The Mad Man's" 14" Rubber
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2010_6_13_SB1.jpg

Awesome.:drool::drool: Monty do you add any weight to that rubber. I uses nails in my Sluggos I got that Idea from Steve Mckenna. That if I'm not using a jig head.

J Barbosa
04-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Awesome.:drool::drool: Monty do you add any weight to that rubber. I uses nails in my Sluggos I got that Idea from Steve Mckenna. That if I'm not using a jig head.

Monty threw us a few bones in this thread:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8945-How-do-you-fish-this-calm-water

J Barbosa
04-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Monty,

If your making those tubes yourself have you found a strong hook with a bend already in it?

The hooks on the Ava's that most shops sell are extremely disappointing.

vpass
04-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Monty threw us a few bones in this thread:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8945-How-do-you-fish-this-calm-water

Thanks J. I missed the rest of that forum. I never fished thtem past 9 inches. worth a try.

Monty
04-14-2013, 02:22 PM

I was over at Toadfish's place yesterday and we talked about weighting them.
In the past I have used the nail type weights, but my preference is to fish them unweighted and without the jig heads/wobble heads. I like fishing them just with two hook rig. Unless I am fishing deep/fast water I always fish them like that, (95+% of the time). When I have used weights my results have not been nearly as successful as unweighted.

Monty
04-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Monty,

If your making those tubes yourself have you found a strong hook with a bend already in it?

The hooks on the Ava's that most shops sell are extremely disappointing.

I have bought them from Fairfield Tackle, have never had a problem with the hooks. I have tried the bigger Ava tails as teasers with atrocious results. The small ones work. And I have tried other colors but again bad results.

J Barbosa
04-14-2013, 02:34 PM
In the past I have used the nail type weights, but my preference is to fish them unweighted and without the jig heads/wobble heads. I like fishing them just with two hook rig. Unless I am fishing deep/fast water I always fish them like that, (95+% of the time). When I have used weights my results have not been nearly as successful as unweighted.

I believe I saw it on Larry Dalhburgs show where he adds tungsten powder while poring the plastic to add weight. The tungsten powder may add weight while keeping the plastic flexible.

vpass
04-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks Monty.

Monty
04-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks Monty.
VPass, Do you always fish weighted Sluggos?
Most of the time I try to fish them very slow, with slight twitches, I mix it up at times, but my normal retrieve is slow/twitches.

vpass
04-14-2013, 10:14 PM
VPass, Do you always fish weighted Sluggos?
Most of the time I try to fish them very slow, with slight twitches, I mix it up at times, but my normal retrieve is slow/twitches.

Yes Most times in heavy currents and when I expect the stripers to be near the bottom, But I also fish them with Tin squids. I also fish them with nails in them one on each side of the hook. I always do good with the jigheads. The lead heads are my go to when fishing sluggos.

DarkSkies
06-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Monty is the Teaser Guy....;)
If ya have any questions, feel free to ask the Marathon Man....:HappyWave:

robmedina
06-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Anyone need some tips on catches like this, fire away....:ROFLMAO

A double!!

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_8_4_Catch1.jpg

Any good advice on catching a pair?

robmedina
06-17-2013, 02:38 PM
http://rocksimpson.com/images/Teaser_rub_lot.jpg

Double
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2008_bass_blueb.jpg

ON a serious note. I have 2 questions. First one- The teaser. If you are using the teaser as pictured above- does the teaser have any action with the plug? To elaborate- I would think that with that set up you are primarily working the plug , which would leave the teaser just hanging in between twitches and pops. Is that correct? Second question is on white water. Is ALL white water fishable?

Monty
06-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Any good advice on catching a pair?

LOL. no I was bummed I got the one, lightning reflexes to set that hook....I just notice that plug had no tail hook.....:beatin: Googan move big time..

ON a serious note. I have 2 questions. First one- The teaser. If you are using the teaser as pictured above- does the teaser have any action with the plug? To elaborate- I would think that with that set up you are primarily working the plug , which would leave the teaser just hanging in between twitches and pops. Is that correct? Second question is on white water. Is ALL white water fishable?

The teaser hangs 6"-8" from the line, 40 inches from the plug. I think the teaser is almost always in the water, twitching from the action given to the plug. With pencils like in the pic the teaser is bouncing a lot in the water, but can be worked slow, not flying through the water. That set-up with pencils, spooks and polaris poppers has caught lots of doubles over the last 5 years. Lots of times just the teaser gets hit because the bass or blue prefers the small bait.

As for white water for me, when I head out to fish I fish unless its really terrible out there. I hate real muddy water (I find the real muddy water unfishable), fishing in 5 foot waves is fine, challenging. So as long as I can fish, I will enjoy it one way or another.
One night I was ocean side, normal outing 1:00 AM to sun up. Raining hard, 5 foot surf easy. I casted Ava 27 and 37 with the rubber teasers above. Caught 3 bass 24-27 inches and missed a few hits and dropped a couple fish. One of my favorite outings, catching a few fish in conditions like that. Not big fish, not alot of fish, but working a 1/2 mile of beach, solid east wind, lots of rain, trying to make long casts to the sand bar was great. The fish were on the teasers.
Directly answering your question, for me 3-5 footers are fishable, whenever its muddy, that is a turn off.

Caught a bass on a green AVA to the side of the rock in this pic
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_10_9_SB_caught_here.jpg

Ava 27-rubber teaser combo
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2008_bass_on_rubber_teaserb.jpg

An odd couple double
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_5_8_Double.jpg

Lotsa white water :bigeyes:
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_11_18_ww.jpg

robmedina
06-17-2013, 10:30 PM
That's a lot of white water for sure! I don't see (or haven't seen water like that where I fish.) 17208 don't mind my big head in the pic, I wanted to crop out most of the unnecessary parts- looking at the water behind me- That wouldn't really be considered "white water" would it?

Pebbles
06-19-2013, 09:21 PM
It looks more like "white ripple water". Try again.:ROFLMAO

robmedina
06-19-2013, 09:50 PM
It looks more like "white ripple water". Try again.:ROFLMAO:don't know why: yeah that's what I figured. Now I am going to make it my mission to find the WHITE WATER....

DarkSkies
06-20-2013, 05:09 PM
^^ If it doesn't impress Pebbles, ya know you're in trouble, Rob.....:laugh: :HappyWave:
As for Monty's idea of perfect white water....he's a little sick in the head, ya know......

It has to be over 4' swells...
Foam and crests of waves cascading on him from all directions......
He looks at calm water with disdain......:rolleyes:
And laughs at frothy churned up water if it's less than a 4' swell with good chop......
To each his own.....:kooky: :fishing:

Monty
06-21-2013, 09:54 AM
It looks more like "white ripple water". Try again.:ROFLMAO

:don't know why: yeah that's what I figured. Now I am going to make it my mission to find the WHITE WATER....

^^ If it doesn't impress Pebbles, ya know you're in trouble, Rob....
And laughs at frothy churned up water if it's less than a 4' swell with good chop......
To each his own.....:kooky: :fishing:

I have seen more white water than that when I flush my toilet.

A pic from 2009
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2009_wwIB.jpg

robmedina
06-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I have seen more white water than that when I flush my toilet. LOL! Yeah , now I know. Where the heck do you find white water like that last pic??????

DarkSkies
06-21-2013, 01:42 PM
^ Monty is a very personable sort of guy,,,,
he managed to get in with the private helicopter pilot that takes Finchaser to the private pond stocked with bass and bluefish...he worked out a deal so when the pilot isn't flying finchaser around...he takes Monty to exotic places like Montauk, Rhody, and Block Island...for a night of fishing, and then takes him back again in the morning.....;)

Aaaah...what a life.....:drool: :HappyWave:

storminsteve
06-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Hey you guys have a helo pilot to take you to the fish? Let me in on this fishing circle. Who do I have to bump off I'm in!:laugh:

dogfish
06-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey you guys have a helo pilot to take you to the fish? Let me in on this fishing circle. Who do I have to bump off I'm in!:laugh:

You might not like what your getting yourself into, steve. Rumor has it that finchaser is italian. Monty may be too. Tread carefully or you be wearin da cement shoes.:HappyWave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFqMU0_RY4E

Monty
06-21-2013, 06:45 PM

You might not like what your getting yourself into, steve. Rumor has it that finchaser is italian. Monty may be too. Tread carefully or you be wearin da cement shoes.:HappyWave:

That first step out of the copter can be a doosey SS ....

I am not Italian, lol, wife is though.......

Fishman
07-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Monty, have you ever gone up north to catch Salmon? If so what is the best time to go and do you have any tips?

Monty
07-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Monty, have you ever gone up north to catch Salmon? If so what is the best time to go and do you have any tips?

Have never fished for Salmon.
Did some fly fishing for trout on the White River in Vermont and the Beaverkill in NY 20+ years ago.

Pebbles
07-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Kind of wondering why you have not been back in 20 years. Do you have any great stories to share about that time?

Monty
07-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Kind of wondering why you have not been back in 20 years. Do you have any great stories to share about that time?
Lots of great fun times fishing up there in the streams.
But any minute that I can break away from the real world and go fishing is spent rushing to the bayside or ocean front and fishing there.
The adrenalin rush of catching a Gator or Striper is great, addicting. And the challenge of catching in the salt I find incredibly fun, something I can get totally consumed in by being out there.
Had same feelings fly fishing for trout.....but after catching my first Striped Bass on a Bomber and seeing my father battle a 15lb+ Gator in the surf I am completely addicted to fishing in the salt water in areas that I enjoy fishing.

Pebbles
07-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Catching a big fish in the salt water does not even compare to fresh water fishing any more for me either. Dark and I did lots of fresh water fishing years ago. He had the opportunity to go salmon fishing in Alaska and totally enjoyed himself.

robmedina
07-26-2013, 04:30 AM
I was into a fish that had my reel screaming. Landed and released my first Albie,
http://rocksimpson.com/images/2008_albi_city.jpg

I would love to be into a fish like that! Are albie catchable mostly during the day, or at night? They come around normally starting in September too, right? Nice Fish Monty!

Monty
07-26-2013, 07:05 AM
I would love to be into a fish like that! Are albie catchable mostly during the day, or at night? They come around normally starting in September too, right? Nice Fish Monty!
I only fish as late as 11:00 AM (1:00 AM - latest 11:00).
I have seen them from sun up until 11:00, I think they show up in September like you said.
Last year I hooked into one and lost it, reel was screaming and adrenalin was rising...and then frustration.

Fishman
07-27-2013, 04:29 PM
What do you think of the Dolphin that have been killed by gillnetters these last few days? Four died from being caught in nets one actually had its body slit open.

Monty
07-27-2013, 08:50 PM
What do you think of the Dolphin that have been killed by gillnetters these last few days? Four died from being caught in nets one actually had its body slit open.

It disgusts me.

As for who did this to the dolphins, its completely unacceptable, I see no good reason that if/when they who did this are found that their boats should become structure on the bottom of the ocean, they should be put in jail for 20 years or until they die and their families should loose every penny they have.

Make an example of people who display acts that show they are unfit to live in a civilized world.
Maybe slit one of them like they slit the dolphin :idea:

My .02

Pebbles
07-28-2013, 08:53 AM
That is so terrible that people would have such little regard for them. Maybe the authorities will finally do something about the gillnetters. Is there a federal law somewhere protecting them. If there is then hopefully the penalties will be severe.

DarkSkies
02-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Mr Monty... I have a question!!!!!

"What is the secret to throwing large rubber snakes at night....like hogys and giant sluggos.....:drool:...getting massive strikes on them....and then losing the fish?"
Thanks for your perspective...:laugh: :HappyWave:

Monty
02-17-2014, 01:53 PM

"What is the secret to throwing large rubber snakes at night....like hogys and giant sluggos.....:drool:...getting massive strikes on them....and then losing the fish?"

Reflexes like a rock.

:HappyWave: :moon:

Monty
02-17-2014, 02:31 PM
The trick to hooking up with a bass while fishing the Hogy really is to get a Blue to take the big Hogy and then a Bass will take the teaser.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_5_8_Double.jpg

storminsteve
02-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Reflexes like a rock.

:HappyWave: :moon:

I'm guessing this is one of those private type jokes. what am I missing here what is the punchline?:huh:

Monty
02-17-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm guessing this is one of those private type jokes. what am I missing here what is the punchline?:huh:

I went through a period that I was missing a crazy number of hits. The majority of them were on the 14" Hogys.
I would be talking with Dark after the trips, telling him I missed a fish here another there, it was ridicules.
Then to top it off one night around 2:30, fishing one of the rock piles now under 6 feet of sand at Long Branch, I brought the 14" Hogy across the front of the rocks, and I get a hit that was hard and heavy and almost pulled the rod out of my hands. I never even moved to set the hook. Reeled it in, no tooth marks. Man was I pissed.
Anyway I was talking with Dark the other day and mentioned I had just rigged a few Hogys up, which jogged his memory into remembering the Googanistic numbers of fish I had missed on those 14" Hogys.

Rip-Plugger
02-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Hi Monty,

tell me,what makes a bass totally smash at a huge swimmer on top?

R-P

Monty
02-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Hi Monty,
tell me,what makes a bass totally smash at a huge swimmer on top?
R-P
No one that I know of catches more on wood than you.
Gotta love how your plugs waggle.

Here are a few of your plugs and bass you caught:

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_6_1_HH_Bass.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_6_5_RP2.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_6_9_HH_Bass.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_6_17_HH_9.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_10_12_a.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_10_8_RP_Bass.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_10_22_a.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_10_31_a.jpg

surfstix1963
02-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Now we know where the bass are.

Monty
02-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Now we know where the bass are.
Well there not at that rock pile that's 6 feet under sand...... :mad:

surfstix1963
02-19-2014, 04:19 AM
Looks like a trip to CT.

DarkSkies
02-19-2014, 07:53 AM
^ The problem with CT is it has miles of beautiful shoreline, lots of rockpikes and structure, but limited access. Some basic access info here....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?332-State-Park-and-beach-access-info-for-Connecticut

I have fished there several times. Even took Pebbles on some road trips.
This is just my experience, but it seems a lot of fishermen who catch fish regularly there, like to fish at night, so they can get around the access restrictions and sneak in some places on foot. This works. There are public access areas, but they are limited.

If some of the folks who fish NJ regularly would just take the drive up to CT a few times, see the way they have access to the Sound blocked off on some of the streets, with the gates and access codes needed to open those gates....they might have a renewed interest in fighting for fishing access in NJ.....IMO some of us take NJ fishing access for granted....part of that, is because we don't see how bad it is, in other areas....and don't have that perspective.....

That being said, the rivers in CT are a great place to fish at night.. April and Sept seem to be great months to target bigger fish as they follow bunker and herring into the rivers.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?6402-Connecticut-fishing-reports-2010

..some of them hold fish all year and have spawning populations of bass...if you can find the warmest water you can catch bass in January, in a warm winter, as they stack up by the thousands in key areas....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?539-Mysterious-fall-migration-of-striped-bass-in-Connecticut-Rivers

There is no closed striped bass season in CT.....you do need a license to fish there....and FW license if you fish above certain areas. Anyone who has access to that info please feel free to post.....When I have a chance I'll try to come back and post some more.......

I love it because of the rocky shoreline, and the fact that bass can be caught there at night, in the summer, when pickings are slim in our area.......Road trip anyone?....time to go up and mug Roddy.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
07-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Uncle Monty.....

Now that you have tasted the forbidden fruit of fishing the rocks...and wearing Korkers to get to where the fish are.......
Will your life ever be the same again? :HappyWave:

Monty
07-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Uncle Monty.....

Now that you have tasted the forbidden fruit of fishing the rocks...and wearing Korkers to get to where the fish are.......
Will your life ever be the same again? :HappyWave:

No.

http://rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2014_7_6_M_Light.jpg

buckethead
07-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Outstanding pic. Great place to be at first light.

finchaser
07-07-2014, 06:20 PM
So where's the white water ROCKY

Monty
07-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Without a doubt this year when I have been able to fish it has been a white water nightmare. There just has been none.
I do believe in the case of the trip this weekend I was lucky there was not any whitewater and I just had the rocks, muck and slippery stuff to experience.
I'm not silly enough to say I'm ready, bring on the whitewater, but I am looking forward to it, ready not, excited about it yes.

storminsteve
03-26-2017, 02:55 PM
White water fishing
Nautical fishing photography
Odd catches

Also NJ hating
Jetty fishing shaming
Serial killer of boaters
Best friend to Johnny Bucktails (just joshing on the last 2)

What I want to know, O great Monty, is who will win the dead things contest this year?:headbang:

hookset
03-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Rofl Jonny bucktails best friend. Be careful. He's apt to go psycho on you dude, you might be sleeping with the fishes by tomorrow.

bababooey
03-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Who are you referring to Johnny Bucktails or Monty?

cowherder
03-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Rofl Jonny bucktails best friend. Be careful. He's apt to go psycho on you dude, you might be sleeping with the fishes by tomorrow.
Yikes!

cowherder
03-26-2017, 03:25 PM

:whoo:

lostatsea
03-26-2017, 04:25 PM
concrete shoes

Monty
03-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Also NJ hating
Jetty fishing shaming
Serial killer of boaters
Best friend to Johnny Bucktails (just joshing on the last 2)

What I want to know, O great Monty, is who will win the dead things contest this year?:headbang:

LMAO, like there is the question on who will find the most and unusual dead things? Seriously.
LOL, nice list!!! But really, the JB comment was a low blow!!
Took a ride today to Surfstix old fishing grounds and bought the permit (first time for me on this beach, 5 miles to ride, fish and find deceased life).
Its just looking like the kind of beach where all kinds of dead stuff will wash up!!!

https://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2017_3_26_SP.jpg

rockhopper
03-26-2017, 10:21 PM
If you guys are finding dead thing's, how about you ramp it up a bit and find the serial killer? Case is still unsolved
https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/crime/everything-we-know-about-the-long-island-murder-mystery/amp/

surfstix1963
03-28-2017, 05:02 AM
Good Luck there Monty very good stretch of beach,and yes plenty of dead things.
LMAO, like there is the question on who will find the most and unusual dead things? Seriously.
LOL, nice list!!! But really, the JB comment was a low blow!!
Took a ride today to Surfstix old fishing grounds and bought the permit (first time for me on this beach, 5 miles to ride, fish and find deceased life).
Its just looking like the kind of beach where all kinds of dead stuff will wash up!!!

https://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/2017_3_26_SP.jpg

seamonkey
03-28-2017, 07:09 AM
Well there not at that rock pile that's 6 feet under sand...... :mad:
Hope I'm not causing trouble but you say jersey has no rock piles and that's why you don't fish here. Where are the rock piles and jetties in that photo?

fishinmission78
03-28-2017, 02:08 PM
+1, would like to know where the rocks are at. I thought you were s rock hopping dude. That pic you posted could be any beach. What's so special about the sand in that pic?

lostatsea
03-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Maybe it's magical sand?

cowherder
03-28-2017, 02:19 PM
It has Lucky Charms in it.:HappyWave:

Monty
03-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Hope I'm not causing trouble but you say jersey has no rock piles and that's why you don't fish here. Where are the rock piles and jetties in that photo?

+1, would like to know where the rocks are at. I thought you were s rock hopping dude. That pic you posted could be any beach. What's so special about the sand in that pic?

Maybe it's magical sand?

OK, I know you Jersey guys see a sand beach, and because all your beach replenishment you immediately think its all flat, no structure. And in Jersey, your mostly right. But on LI, its different. For instance, just down the beach from that pic is this:

https://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2017_March_Breach.jpg

Cool page here about that pic and how it changes:
http://po.msrc.sunysb.edu/GSB/

And here are some pics I took of the LI structure (I don't do jettys).

Rips on a sand beach
https://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_11_15_Demo.jpg?w=850

Nice surf
https://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_9_13_MorgansCove2.jpg

Hate when the sun starts to show
https://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_8_30_SB_SR.jpg?w=850

Here is another ex-LI S and A member fishing a sandy beach with.......wait for it.......................STRUCTURE
https://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2014_5_28_Fishing.jpg

A little LI white water
https://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/2014_9_21_WW.jpg

This is what a cove looks like.....
https://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2016_6_26_M_SS_11.jpg?w=850

The bluffs are awesome
https://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015_9_20_From_Rock_1.jpg?w=850

Sun rise on the Island
https://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015_9_20_SR2.jpg?w=850

Another one of those things they call a cove
https://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2014_10_7_Cove_4.jpg?w=850

bababooey
03-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Wow so many words to justify. Almost thought I was reading a DS post.:laugh:

bababooey
03-29-2017, 07:32 AM
Maybe it's magical sand?

I like the above explanations better. Magical sand, brilliant.

nitestrikes
03-29-2017, 07:46 AM
There is a lot of structure here on LI. Perhaps if you guys spent a night fishing the North Shore you would see. I didn't see any North Shore photos in the post, but it is a beautiful place. Limited access, though.

Monty
03-29-2017, 09:57 AM
I like the above explanations better. Magical sand, brilliant.
When was the last time you fished from the sand?
While the sand is not technically magical. Long Island certainly is. :heart:

:ROFLMAO

bababooey
03-30-2017, 08:43 AM
Sorry dude unless you're talking about the white or colored sand in some of the tropics destinations, sand is just sand. I don't see how any place is more magical than another. I haven't fished the sand in a while. Usually mostly do it in the fall when you can walk down to the blitzing fish. Used to follow the finchaser reports and was waiting for the ramp up of the finchaser hotline.:naughty::naughty: That would have made it worth it to fish the beach. Otherwise, why bother? A boat is much better. You can pilot a boat anywhere. Can't find stripers or fluke? No problem, just start up the motor and go somewhere else! I have trouble understanding surf fishing, which is really surf walking for most of you guys. LOL. A boat is much more efficient. My .02

Monty
03-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Sorry dude unless you're talking about the white or colored sand in some of the tropics destinations, sand is just sand. I don't see how any place is more magical than another. I haven't fished the sand in a while. Usually mostly do it in the fall when you can walk down to the blitzing fish. Used to follow the finchaser reports and was waiting for the ramp up of the finchaser hotline.:naughty::naughty: That would have made it worth it to fish the beach. Otherwise, why bother? A boat is much better. You can pilot a boat anywhere. Can't find stripers or fluke? No problem, just start up the motor and go somewhere else! I have trouble understanding surf fishing, which is really surf walking for most of you guys. LOL. A boat is much more efficient. My .02

We just fish for different reasons. I thoroughly enjoy putting in the effort walking the beach and climbing rocks trying to catch bass and blues. If it was easy and I caught all the time without any effort I would surely find something else to do. I enjoy the complete experience out there.

The adrenaline rush I get every time I walk down this path at 2:00 AM is incredible.

https://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015_9_20_Path4.jpg?w=850