PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Expo Somerset NJ March 14-16

bunkerjoe4
03-14-2008, 08:12 AM
This is a decent show. Mostly good vendors, some junk mixed in between. Not as many custom plug builders as the Asbury or Berkeley Shows, but something for everyone here. Check it out if you get a chance this weekend.

Some info from Al Ristori's column:

The Toyota Saltwater Expo opens today from noon to 8 p.m. at the Garden State Center at Somerset (Exit 10 off Interstate 287), and continues through Sunday.
Most national fishing tackle manufacturers are represented at this event, run by Paul Fuller for the American Sportfishing Association. Add to that all the regional manufacturers plus travel exhibits and a solid schedule of free fishing seminars for a show that should please every saltwater angler.

Not quite so pleasing, but very important, is today's 2 p.m. panel discussion: "Are you satisfied with your angling data?" This involves the upcoming national registry of saltwater fishermen. The details of that program will come out in the presentation by Gordon Colvin, the former New York Marine District chief who's now working for NOAA Fisheries on the registration initiative that may well virtually force New Jersey to adopt a saltwater license. The panel will be presented again tomorrow at 11:45 a.m.

The extensive seminar schedule begins at 1 today when I present a slide show on "Spring and Summer Raritan Bay and Shore Striper Fishing." ESPN2's "In Search of Fly Water" co-host Cindy Garrison gets into "Rio Parismina's Giant Tarpon" at 2:30, and repeats that show at 5:30. Shore Catch Guide Service skippers Gene Quigley and Jim Freda are on at 3:30 with "Light Tunas on Light Tackle." Rich Johnson of The Fishing Line presents "Plugging Stripers in Back Bays and Estuaries" at 4, and Charlie Kay demonstrates castnetting at 4:30.
Tomorrow's hours are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Seminars begin at 10:30 with Jim Hutchinson of "The Fisherman" on "Late Spring Bunker Bustin' on the Jersey Coast." Garrison is back with her Costa Rican tarpon show at 11:45 and 3:15. Darren Doris of N.J. Angler TV presents "Shark Fishing Strategies" at 12:30, followed at 1 by Crazy Alberto Knie with "Trophy Stripers from the Suds."
Underwater photographer Mike Laptew shows "The Secret Lives of Game Fish" at 2:15, and Kay demonstrates castnetting at 3. Bill Donovan of N.J. Angler discusses offshore fishing for inshore anglers at 4:15.
Adult admission is $10, and children pay $3, except those under 5 who are admitted free.

stripercrazy
03-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Went to that show today, loaded up on rubbah! Man they got some huge pogys and sluggos.

plugaholic
03-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Went there yesterday. Some decent deals. Lots of people buying rods, and some tackle. Didn't seem like it was real crowded, adn I didn't notice many people walking out of there with VSs. The boats took up a lot of space, but it didn't seem like a lot of interest. The economy really is worse than people think.

captnemo
03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
I was there. thought it was well-run. Don't know if you have been to a lot of shows, plugaholic, but they will run boating booths wherever they can. And some of the new models were looking good. I like to see what features are different from year to year.

Thought the tackle booths were pretty good, got some deals.

voyager35
03-21-2008, 11:18 PM
I went. Good tackle selection, some good deals, especially on the last day.

davisber
03-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Would you like to buy a Davis Lure?

Glenn Davis (732)757-5615:don't know why: