PDA

View Full Version : How To: Rebuild your Korkers......

DarkSkies
02-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Many of ya's are not that harsh on your gear.....I am much harsher than most, and as a result wear it out quicker...:bucktooth:

My last pair of Korkers lasted 6 months before I wore the carbide tips off....they began to look sad. As I started falling and slipping more I knew it was time to change out the spikes.........

DarkSkies
02-09-2013, 12:35 PM
But the season was erratic, fish, no fish, then bonanza, then fish again......followed by storms, Sandy, and you know the rest.....fish finally again as the late migrators passed by and in our NJ surfline.....some great nights out there......:fishing:

In between this all I was desperate to change out the studs....so I got some, took some pics that I will post.......

It's really simple....but take my advice..... don't wait till you are slipping all over and bruising your ribs, till you get motivated to get a new set......

What will follow will be a simple step-by-step tutorial on how to do the change.

**If any others have tips, feel free to add to this, thanks. :HappyWave:

finchaser
02-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Many of ya's are not that harsh on your gear.....I am much harsher than most, and as a result wear it out quicker...:bucktooth:

My last pair of Korkers lasted 6 months before I wore the carbide tips off....they began to look sad. As I started falling and slipping more I knew it was time to change out the spikes.........

Understatement

DarkSkies
02-12-2013, 08:32 AM
^ I can't argue with the truth. :laugh: :HappyWave:

1. First step is to find a set of replacement spikes. The ones I'm using now are the korkers K5000 model. Relatively easy to change out the spikes.

I checked around on the net, the best price I found was Merrick Tackle on LI...I think they had as set for $24.99...shipping only a few dollars more.

** The one tip I would suggest to the new guys is it's a lot easier to do this, if before you use your korkers for the first time, you take the spikes off, coat them with anti seize compound (available in auto parts stores) and put them back together. When you finally come back months later after all the abuse and harshness these things take, it will be easier to get them off.

I do that and recommend this extra step to others as well.

finchaser
02-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Don't want to hijack your thread but:

The 24.99 is for the replacement spikes only. I also believe K-5000 korkers were discontinued. The replacements are complete korkers (with the soles) are $69.00 for the FA 5100 (28 spikes per pair) and $79.00 for the FA5101 (52 spikes per pair)

storminsteve
02-12-2013, 05:43 PM
ds here is a video I found of the k1100 and the k5000 korkers - ocean state tackle RI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhwxoOKM1_w

storminsteve
02-12-2013, 05:44 PM
^^ finchaser why would they discontinue a model that was as simple as that? Doesn't make sense.

dogfish
02-12-2013, 07:10 PM
I think they make more money now selling you the boots with the spikes. Some of them cost up to $240. Nice mark up for a pair of wading shoes with spikes.:kooky:

seamonkey
02-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Dogfish I agree and the boots wear out a lot easier than the rubber soles. Can you say cash register ka-ching!

finchaser
02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
the replacements have straps instead of shoelaces much better mouse trap

DarkSkies
02-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the input, people. :HappyWave:
(Even the grouchy input......:moon: :kiss: :laugh:)

2. You need to find a place where you can do this and keep everything together.
Basement workshop would be nice, if not that an unused floor or table somewhere.

a. Find the right wrench or socket to take the old studs off.

** Tip - sometimes if you are working on removing worn or rusted nuts and the SAE size is not grabbing, the next logical smaller size won't fit....when that happens, try Metric....will often solve your problem and get the job done.....:learn:

b. About the old studs: If you can't get them off, generally I don't like to use WD-40 as it's not the best penetrating agent out there.

c. I use something called "Fabulous Blaster" or "PB Blaster" available in Pep Boys, HD, or the largest Wal Marts. It has the same petroleum distillates that WD-40 has, but is thicker in viscosity and has surfactant chemicals as well. This combo proves far superior to WD-40 and as a result I now carry a spray can with me whenever I have to do any plumbing repairs.

d. As you can see in this pic, the old studs are shot, way beyond their useful life. In some cases the carbide tips have been ground off completely.

e. Take off the old studs. You can see in the pic that they are shot.
** If you have waited too long there are some you may not be able to get off.

jigfreak
02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
e. Take off the old studs. You can see in the pic that they are shot.
** If you have waited too long there are some you may not be able to get off.

yep

DarkSkies
02-18-2013, 11:18 AM
3. Put on the new studs.

Make sure you coat each stud with anti-seize compound first. I use Permatex Anti Seize, available in any auto parts store, Wal Mart, or Pep Boys.

Later on when it's time to reverse this process and put new ones on again..... The frustration of taking the old rusted salt encrusted and corroded studs will be but a fleeting memory of your past googan errors. :laugh:

**Don't forget to do this, you will thank me later. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
02-19-2013, 08:03 AM
4. Make sure everything is nice and tight. Test them.
(and remember what I said about waiting too long to change them out. In the pics below you may notice one or two that I could not do. Goog move. :bucktooth: :laugh: :beatin::HappyWave: )

Get out there and go fishing! :fishing: :)

https://vimeo.com/5266004#

williehookem
02-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Nice step by step thread and footage of the rocks. can't wait to get out there this spring!