PDA

View Full Version : Company Profile: Super Strike Lures and the Fish they Catch

surfstix1963
01-31-2010, 11:41 AM
This might help Some People/Heres Superstrikes out of the pkg. hook and plug sizes.T=trebel S=single replacement tail hook
Superstrike Darter 6 -5/8" 2 3/8oz. 3/0 T Replace W 5/0 S

Needlefish 5- 1/4" 3/4-1oz. #1 T Replace w/3/0 S
6- 3/8" 1 1/2 oz. 2/0 T Replace w/4/0 or 5/0 for both sizes
7-1/4" 1 3/4 oz. 3/0 T

Bullet 4 -9/16" 1 1/8 oz. 2/0 T Replace w/4/0 S
Bullet 1-5/8 oz. 2/0 T

F/ Popper 4-1/4" 1 oz. 1/0 T Replace w/3/0 S for both
S/ Popper " " 1-1/2 oz. 1/0 T

F/ Popper 5-1/4" 1-1/2 oz. 2/0 T Replace w/5/0 S for both
S/ Popper 5-1/4" 2-3/8 oz. 2/0 T

F/ Popper 6" 2-1/4 oz. 3/0 T Replace w/5/0 or 6/0 S for both
S/ Popper 6" 3 oz. 3/0 T
Bottle Plug 6" 2-3/8 oz. 3/0 T Replace w/5/0 or 6/0 S

F- Floating Green eye
S- Sinking Black eye

I use VMC's for single hook replacement:4/0- 6/0 are a good range to have on hand unless you fish alot of smaller plugs than you may need some 3/0's I seem to use more 5/0's than any other size. This is what I do.( may not be the norm for others.)

DarkSkies
02-17-2013, 07:40 PM
The plugs......

Plug 2 - Super Strike Rattlin Littleneck swimmer 2 1/4 oz - from the Canal to Cape May this plug slays its share of larger bass.

1. The rattles are deadly particularly in foul weather when bait is entering or gathered up in one area. I would rather fish this plug with the rattles VS almost anything else when the water is rough, and have had nights of 15-25 quality fish in the nastiest weather under the right conditions.

2. The color of this is secondary unless fishing an area of ambient light or a full moon.

3. The success, for me, of this plug is about when bait is gathered up in rough weather trying to hide, and predators are transitioning from the ocean looking for that bait.

4. If you can find a place where predators and prey are in the same tight area you can experience explosive action on this SS plug.

5. One of my all-time favorite plugs. :thumbsup: It's all about the action and the rattles.

Plug 4 - Super Strike Littleneck Popper 1 1/2 oz...this simple but smaller design is often one of the only things that can get sluggish Early Season cold water Bass and bluefish to hit aggressively. :headbang:

If you are out there in the salt in late March or early April and the guy next to you is out-fishing you 3-1 in a daytime bite where no bunker are visible, chances are he's using the Superstrike Littleneck, and you aren't.....:(

** Superstrike, Plugs 2 and 4 pictured below.....

DarkSkies
02-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Super Strike Lures, Inc
Headquartered in Farmingdale, LI

Started in the 1960's by legendary LI plugbuilder Donny Musso.

I could have put this in the LI Plug and tackle Manufacturers Back in time thread.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?5551-LI-plug-and-tackle-manufacturers-back-in-time

Because the company has stood the test of time and is still a part of LI Plug Manufacturing, I thought it best to put it here.

Donny Musso was making wood plugs in the 60's. As time went by and demand grew he knew he needed a more standard production process to produce numbers and standardize the quality. I think somewhere in the 80's or 90's a shift to plastic for the materials was put in place, and the company is still going strong.

Donny is older now and most of the operations are handled by his son Steve Musso.

Superstrike plugs are now available in tackle shops worldwide.
Truly one of Long Island's great fishing product success stories. and still a family-run business. :thumbsup: :fishing:

Monty
02-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Superstrike plugs are now available in tackle shops worldwide.
Truly one of Long Island's great fishing product success stories. and still a family-run business. :thumbsup: :fishing:

And now with VMC Hooks :thumbsup:.
The Little Neck Popper 2 3/8 oz is a ROCKET.

DarkSkies
02-18-2013, 10:50 AM
They are already profiled in the thread LI Plug and Tackle Manufacturers

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-Manufacturers (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8839-LI-Pride-LI-Modern-Fishing-tackle-and-gear-Manufacturers)

I thought some of the surf guys would want to learn more and possibly chime in with more info.

Feel free.........

1. anything you like or don't like about these plugs....

2. any fish you caught using it

3. your best times to throw it......thanks. :HappyWave:

jigfreak
02-18-2013, 04:00 PM
If you are out there in the salt in late March or early April and the guy next to you is out-fishing you 3-1 in a daytime bite where no bunker are visible, chances are he's using the Superstrike Littleneck, and you aren't.....:(

That would be me.:HappyWave: Yup good plugs and bullet proof. I wish I could be the superstrike tester and test all the new changes.

jigfreak
02-18-2013, 04:01 PM

X2 that is a dynamite bass finder.

7deadlyplugs
02-20-2013, 11:46 PM
some nice spring action I found on youtube all on ss poppers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtHLpKS-3qY

Monty
02-21-2013, 09:17 PM
X2 that is a dynamite bass finder.
I like throwing them with a decent chop in the surf, 2-4 foot waves.
Find a seam and worked slow with a nice commotion on top.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2009_striper_ss.jpg

lostatsea
02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
^^^ Definitely agree with you on that. SS littleneck .I like using them right before a noreaster. When the water is still clean but just on the edge of getting nasty. Pop at a good clip not slow. The fish will sometimes come clear out of the water to hit it. Nice healthy fish there monty.

UrbanFishingMan
02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
I have all the North Bar Bottle Darters & plenty of Donny's SS darters. Northbar is better than Super Strikes rattling swimmer. Some believe the rattles spook Bass & attract blue fish
On a 50 bass day in MTK Donny & I fished together & talked darters, his swimmer vs Larry Welcome's bottle plug.
Musso's darter runs shallower than Larry's. Larry's NB has way better action & is clutch is a heavy current or medium sized surf. Lass than 5 ft waves
I use both but toss northbar darters first.

The Super Strike little neck poppers are my favorite. I swim 3oz one slow on top at night. I would buy the new Heavy 2 3/4 little neck popper over the older 2 3/8 version.
The needle fish are fantastic too!
You cant argue with a 77 year old who fishes shoulder to shoulder with you in MTK for hours & racks up 40 plus bass! Donny's lures are great!
I wish they made a better version of the SP minnow!

J Barbosa
08-11-2013, 01:47 PM
I placed an online order the other day and they had these on sale for $10/each so I ordered two.

You don't hear too much about these and they have been around for a few years now. The SS Bullet never really appealed to me before but after reading up on them they seem to have potential as both fish catching plugs or as a TDS (teaser delivery system).

I figured worst case I would use them to deliver teasers. They should ride higher in the water column than a heavy metal which is why I'm surprised I don't see jersey guys fishing these considering how flat most of our beaches are. :huh:

Mine came delivered with the old style cut Mustad hooks and an attached zip lock bag with two VMC 2/0 trebles and split rings. I took the Mustads off and threw them away.

Im thinking about using just a single VMC undressed Siwash hook on the back for max distance.

How does everyone here rig and fish these and how are they catching for you?

Monty
08-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I placed an online order the other day and they had these on sale for $10/each so I ordered two.

You don't hear too much about these and they have been around for a few years now. The SS Bullet never really appealed to me before but after reading up on them they seem to have potential as both fish catching plugs or as a TDS (teaser delivery system).

I figured worst case I would use them to deliver teasers. They should ride higher in the water column than a heavy metal which is why I'm surprised I don't see jersey guys fishing these considering how flat most of our beaches are. :huh:

Mine came delivered with the old style cut Mustad hooks and an attached zip lock bag with two VMC 2/0 trebles and split rings. I took the Mustads off and threw them away.

Im thinking about using just a single VMC undressed Siwash hook on the back for max distance.

How does everyone here rig and fish these and how are they catching for you?

I have used them in the past, with the dressed Siwash hooks and teasers.
Cast great.
I think I have caught a blue or two on the teaser, nothing on the bullet.
I think they sink pretty quick, thought with the sand eels around they would get some attention.
Have had more success with the Super Strke needles.

finchaser
08-11-2013, 07:20 PM
my go to lure besides metal accounts for most of my fall fish. Go with dressed siwash

J Barbosa
08-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks

Im going with just the dressed siwash in the rear

rockhopper
08-15-2013, 10:44 AM
I like them for when it is windy and the sandeels are around. You can really lob them out there and they track good in the water. Slow retrieve works best for me. The fish will find it if they're there.

williehookem
09-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Field and stream named the ss littleneck one of the top 25 surf lures of all time.

Super Strike LittleNeck Popper
The mark of a truly great plug is versatility, but that’s generally not an attribute of popping plugs. The Super Strike Little Neck Popper is an exception.
In addition to working extremely well as traditional surface popper, the Little Neck can also be used as a swimming plug. With a slow, steady retrieve, it kicks from side to side right at the surface like a metal-lip swimmer. The difference between the Little Neck Popper and a metal-lip, however, is that metal-lips catch the wind and tumble during the cast, while the LittleNeck Popper flies through the air like a dart, easily reaching sandbars or rips far off the beach.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2013/01/25-best-striper-lures

storminsteve
09-07-2013, 11:12 AM

I tried throwing one this morning but all they wanted was small as the bait was small maybe tiny rainfish or anchovies. Another week or so and the SSs should be golden if we see some bigger blues and bass come in.

buckethead
09-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Nice going hookset and finchaser. Fished nomoco from 6-8, Few blues and a flurry of activity on ss littleneck popper. All the activity ceased by 7am.

robmedina
09-28-2013, 04:36 PM
cool I just purchased a ss little neck popper.

finchaser
09-29-2013, 06:58 PM
cool I just purchased a ss little neck popper.

Rob in case you are unaware SS plugs:
with black eyes sink
with green eyes float
with red eyes they are pre loaded

robmedina
09-30-2013, 03:44 AM
with black eyes sink
with green eyes float
with red eyes they are pre loaded Yup- I got a floating so it should be green eyes. ( I ordered it online) in the meantime I grabbed a little Creek Chub popper from a local bait store and it is a sinking popper. Not sure why poppers are made to sink, kind of defeats the purpose. But if you pop it quick it stays on top.

finchaser
09-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Most popular by far is SS popper 2 3/8 sinker out sells the floaters 10 to 1 . casts great and if you reel it slow it swims like a metal lip. They sink because you need the weight to cast far. When it comes to SS most shop don't stock the floaters

buckethead
09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
with black eyes sink
with green eyes float
with red eyes they are pre loaded

Most popular by far is SS popper 2 3/8 sinker out sells the floaters 10 to 1 . casts great and if you reel it slow it swims like a metal lip. They sink because you need the weight to cast far. When it comes to SS most shop don't stock the floaters

SS is a great workhorse plug. You can catch small blues to 40lb bass with that plug. Works great out of the bag. If larger fish are around you can upgrade the hooks and splits but they can take a lot of abuse as is. One of my fall favorites.

Monty
09-30-2013, 12:59 PM
I always use the weighted ones, 2 3/8 oz my favorite... A frieking ROCKET
I do change the hooks immediately, but the new ones are coming with VMCs now.
Surprisingly I don't get a lot of Blues on them over the years, more bass than blues on them.
This bass was my first of the 2010 fall run (late Sept.).

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2010_9_26_SBa.jpg

robmedina
09-30-2013, 02:08 PM
whats the best way to work the sinking poppers?

Monty
09-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Just because they sink does not mean they have to be worked fast. My favorite way of fishing them is in a nice chop on the water. Can work them in seams and work it slow while popping it.
My least favorite way is around trees and throwing by hand......

robmedina
09-30-2013, 03:37 PM
thanks monty. ao basically a slow retrieve with intermitten pops. ok I will give er a try. I did notice with my sinking creek chub popper that it had some nice movement in the water sub surface as I was bringing it in.

finchaser
09-30-2013, 08:13 PM
I get it to the surface quickly, then swim it like a metal lip a few feet then pop pop pop then swim and repeat (this can only be done with the 2 3/8 SS model black eyes). If blues are the only game in town get it to surface quickly the just pop at a moderate pace. The floaters have a tendency to fly out of water.

Monty
09-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Here was an odd ball caught on a SS popper

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_9_25_Fish.jpg

surfstix1963
10-03-2013, 01:50 PM
I have CC striper strikes sinking poppers also, in pearl white(red eye they call it)that cheap a$$ plug has bailed me out many times,it is just one of those plugs that just work when nothing else does.(Especially in the back bays and rivers)I've noticed with sinking poppers that they will raise a bass and they won't hit the plug just follow it until you give a slight pause and it sinks just a bit they nail it.SS are the ticket with plastic plugs but that CC is always with me.

surferman
10-03-2013, 07:29 PM
I have CC striper strikes sinking poppers also, in pearl white(red eye they call it)that cheap a$$ plug has bailed me out many times,it is just one of those plugs that just work when nothing else does.(Especially in the back bays and rivers)I've noticed with sinking poppers that they will raise a bass and they won't hit the plug just follow it until you give a slight pause and it sinks just a bit they nail it.SS are the ticket with plastic plugs but that CC is always with me.

6.50 for the striper strike at basspro great deal on a durable plug!

surferman
10-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Here was an odd ball caught on a SS popper

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_9_25_Fish.jpg

Interesting what kind of fish is that? looks like a kingfish but skinnier.

Monty
05-26-2014, 04:07 PM
The Super Strike 2 3/8 oz Sinking Little Neck Popper are rockets.
This morning they liked this color.

DarkSkies
06-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Night Bluefish.....
I believe some in the 8-12# class are starting to filter in again.....it seems to me they are hitting our shores in waves..(just my experience)...similar pattern along the beaches of IBSP and Ocean County...a lot of the little ones, migrating up the coast....and the bigger ones, beautiful purple color, still coming in from offshore....

Only had time for a few pics last night....some of the smaller ones....

All hit the Superstrike little neck like it was their last meal.....

robmedina
06-02-2014, 07:29 AM
man I love topwater bite!

surfstix1963
06-02-2014, 10:25 AM
I like to either pop them on top until I raise a fish if they won't commit I stop it and let it sink then they will usually slam it.In darker conditions if they won't take a metal lip I just swim them with an occasional twitch much like a floating needle reel some twitch and so on.

Monty
02-22-2015, 01:37 PM
I am really getting tired of this winter....
Looking forward to fishing the SS Darters more this year

http://rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2014_10_26_SB_SS_Darter_1.jpg

finchaser
02-22-2015, 02:10 PM
Thought I'd see you yesterday^^^^

Monty
02-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Thought I'd see you yesterday^^^^
Was in crazy rush, had to be back home by 11:00 and watch grand kids, was 10 minutes late :beatin:. Was in and out pretty quick, fast walk through and out.
Got what I went for (SA needles and CCW small dannys) and was out. Amazed at the line, moved relatively quick, but was long. Past years I usually bumped into a few from the site there, didn't see anyone this time.
Think that is the only show I can get to this year, too much stuff going on. I like the Berkly show best too. Trip to Arizona for work coming up, likely means that the weather here should warm up when I leave, my timing is usually atrocious.

robmedina
02-24-2015, 01:11 PM
well hopefully you got home before all the snow. Took us 2 hours to go from the college to Barnegat. Then I had another 1.5 hours home.

finchaser
02-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Got some limited addition needles that Steve at SS painted just for Surf Day Show

Monty
06-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Some of the fish I caught this year on Super Strike plugs

cowherder
06-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Wow nice catches thanks for sharing!

Monty
07-12-2015, 03:04 PM
Have used the 3 oz popper this year. Bigger splashes.

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_7_12_Blue_4.jpg?zoom=1.5&fit=810%2C810

baitstealer
07-12-2015, 10:23 PM
thats a nice fat blue dude.

Monty
12-30-2015, 12:53 PM
While I didn't get a lot of big fish on it this past year, in October/November this year the darter was one of my best producers in the dark.
Finally have something resembling confidence in it and plan on using it a lot more often next year.

http://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_10_25_SB_2_17_AM.jpg?w=850

http://i0.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_10_25_SB_1_32_AM.jpg?w=850

http://i2.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2015_9_6_SB_SS_Darter.jpg

Monty
03-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Super Strike colors for 2017
From SS web site

2017 Color Availability:

Bullets: BT4HW 2-1/2oz.
007-parrot
011-yellow/white
016-white
022-all black
BON-bone
P22-blurple

BT4W 1-5/8oz
011-yellow
016-white
022-all black

Little Neck Swimmer 2-3/8oz
007-parrot
008-all yellow
011-yellow/white
016-white
017-blue/white
022-all black
BON-bone
MAS-midnight massacre
P22-blurple

All Super N Fish:
007-parrot
008-all yellow
009-green/white
011-yellow/white
016-white
022-all black
BON-bone
MAS-midnight massacre
P22-blurple

All Little Neck Poppers:
007-parrot
008-all yellow
009-green/white
011-yellow/white
016-white
017-blue/white
033-red head/white
034-blue head/white
BON-bone

Zig Zag:
007-parrot
008-all yellow
011-yellow/white
016-white
022-all black
026-transparent amber (mr. hanky)
BON-bone
MAS-midnight massacre
P22-blurple

Mayne my favorite plug to fish, SS Darter
https://i1.wp.com/rocksimpson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2016_10_20_SB_3.jpg?w=850