PDA

View Full Version : Tony Spina has passed away

finchaser
02-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Heard Tony passed away

May he RIP

jigfreak
02-26-2013, 12:09 AM
Wow he had to be pretty old, maybe late 70's. Last saw him at the Berkeley show. RIP

fishinmission78
02-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Sad.Another one bites the dust. t&p to his family.

Monty
02-26-2013, 06:21 AM
I met Tony a few years ago when his health wasn't that great.
Bought a few of his plugs, exchanged a few e-mails, met up a few times. He was very generous, good guy.
One day I was talking with him about my grand kids learning to surf fish. He brings me two Tica 8' surf rods and tried to give them to me (insisted I just take them). I ended up giving him a few bucks for them. When the kids start throwing plugs they will be with rods from Tony (they have already started learning to cast in the yard with them).
Here are a few pics of a couple of Tony's plugs.
First fish of 2008 on a Tony metal lip.
Then a Tony Pencil with some solid Mojo from a fun morning.
RIP Tony.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2008_Spina_first_fish_of_year.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2009_1_blue_spb.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2009_sp.jpg

DarkSkies
02-26-2013, 07:29 AM
I feel the same way Monty. Thanks for sharing that.
I think there were a few of us who got close to him a few years ago. He was at the point then where when he found someone who had an interest in his plugs he would mail some first and say "pay me later".

I was just talking with Speedy and others about him last night when Fin posted the news. Thanks for posting, Fin.
I know some in the fishing world weren't too happy with him....yes he had issues...yes he disappointed some....and if anyone out there is offended by the following kind words I have to say about him...well....I feel sad for you.....

DarkSkies
02-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Tony was a fixture in the surf fishing community for many years. He was well known in the surf, at the beach, at the bridges, and among guys who fished in boats as well.

Beyond the relationships he failed at with people, he did some dynamic and impressive things.
He was a member of Hi-Mar club in good standing for many years, and had some impressive wins in their tournaments. He was also a life member of Shark River Anglers and Berkeley Striper Clubs till the day he died.
I believe he caught several trophy bass ..back when there were no bunker to bring them in to the surf zone.

His main employment was as a cabinet maker.
He also started several plugbuilding companies.
Some were successful, some weren't.

I think he first started MasterLures, then Beachcomber Lures. Another notable one was Driftwood Lures started in 1982 with Charlie K. The company did ok for awhile, but like anything else, business had its ebbs and flows. He started several companies over the course of his life. The latest one he ended up selling to Scotty from Shark River Anglers. It's now known as Lex Lures. He started it in 1997 and sold to Scotty Pullen in 2004.

The last years of his life were not good to Tony and those around him. Relationships were strained, and some out there still probably think poorly of him. That's their prerogative.
So whatever back stories some may have, believe me I know them....it was unfortunate that some of them were true....the thing I want to focus on is the positive here....

As Monty mentioned, he and I got to know Tony around the same time.
We got a little too involved in his life, and were down to see him several times. Pebbles even came with me on a few visits.
His later years were not too kind...
He battled throat cancer, and survived with a hole in his throat, a stoma. A constant reminder of the ravages of cancer. Yet through it all Tony would not let it get him down....

Whatever anyone thought or said about him.....
He was still a man with a family.
He had children who loved him.
He had grandchildren who loved him. His grandson is carrying on the tradition of making his plugs. I visited them at their shop. Found it to be highly organized and dedicated to turning out some good product.....I thought it was nice that a grandson would want to carry on his grandfather's legacy. In today's world much of the younger generation is not as motivated or hard-working as they were when I grew up. Seeing that motivation still evident, to me that is refreshing. And definitely worth mentioning....:thumbsup:

Tony was also very generous, as Monty mentioned. Additionally, each time he rented a table at a show of flea market he would always have a few plugs to give away to the kids....no kid who came to his table was turned away....he really wanted to pass on his love of fishing to others....

Each passing year, we hear of another one of us who is no longer here.
Some of us are loved dearly.
Some of us are not that well known, only in our particular corner of the world.
But all of us, meant something special, to our families, and the ones around us who called us a friend.

Please try to remember that with the friends you still have, who are older, or have health problems.
We don't know how long any of us will be around for sure.

I am sure others out there take friendships, and people being there for us for continuous amounts of time, for granted sometimes....because I know I have done this....
When I have....I have lived to regret it when a person I haven't talked to in a while...suddenly passes away and I hear the news....:(
My words here are intended to mourn a life that is no longer here...
Bring up some of the good memories.....

Also try to reach some of us (including me) who may take some friendships and family relationshops for granted...
If we have become estranged, we convince ourselves there is time to patch the broken walls...
If we have not seen them for awhile, we convince ourselves we will get to see them someday when we "have time"

Sometimes this does not happen, we don't make the time to keep these connections...We allow ourselves to get caught up in the busy-ness of our own lives...
If my words here reach anyone at all, their intention is to ask some of us to make the time, to see those in our lives who were once important, family members, or friends, who are older and we have lost touch with.....
Making a committment to do that....will feel a lot better when they are still alive...than will talking about them....at their funeral....

My deepest condolences to Tony's family and friends....I know he is in a better place now...

May God in his infinite benevolence watch over him and his family and friends who are still on this Earth.

**When I have time I'll search for some threads here we have on him and his work. If anyone finds them before I do please feel free to bump them to to top.
Also feel free to post funeral arrangements in this thread. Thanks

clamchucker
02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Dark the eulogy you wrote is moving. Well-written. This is the truth with our society today. All too busy until some one dies. I didn't really know him but saw him on the beach from time to time. May he RIP.

porgy75
02-26-2013, 11:50 AM
thoughts and prayers

captnemo
02-26-2013, 11:52 AM
rip

vpass
02-26-2013, 06:55 PM
RIP Tony.

bababooey
02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Thoughts and prayers.

seamonkey
02-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Sorry to hear the news rip

hookset
02-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Sad news t&p

ledhead36
02-28-2013, 02:28 AM
RIP Mr Spina

CharlieTuna
02-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Never met the man. I remember hearing his name connected with fishing and plugs when I lived in Jersey. Thoughts and prayers.

porgy75
02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
rip

DarkSkies
03-01-2013, 07:22 AM
A member sent this in, thanks for the diligence. :HappyWave:
This will be in today's APP, the paper version or the computer version...at www.app.com (http://www.app.com/)

Anthony Spina
Obituary

Anthony Spina

Anthony Spina, 82, of Seaside Park, NJ died on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013. He was born in Orange, NJ.

He was pre-deceased by his wife, Jean; his daughter, Ellen Auriemma, and his son, Thomas Spina. He is survived by his son, Tony Spina; 3 daughters, Amy Stravitz, Jeanann Christen, and Lisa Franciosi; 16 grandchildren, 9 great grandchildren, and 2 great-great grandchildren

Visitation will be held at the DiCostanzo family owned, Lakewood Funeral Home, 6250 Highway 9, Howell on Saturday from 9-10 AM. Entombment will follow at Ocean County Memorial Park, Toms River. For further information and directions please go to www.funeralhomenj.com (http://www.funeralhomenj.com/)

Published in Asbury Park Press on March 1, 2013

DarkSkies
03-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Directions.......

http://www.funeralhomenj.com/

ledhead36
03-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear the news, t&P

madcaster
03-02-2013, 03:27 PM
any know if he drove a older station wagon ?

DarkSkies
03-02-2013, 06:13 PM
^ Madcaster he drove a Suv...will post pics when get a chance.

Memorial service today was good....Charlie K and some from different clubs showed up to pay last respects.

storminsteve
03-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Nice to hear dark. Rip Tony.

jigfreak
03-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Thats a blessing that club guys showed. Thanks for the update.