PDA

View Full Version : Drag Island - What's All the Fuss over One Lousy Island?

DarkSkies
03-01-2013, 08:03 AM
There is an Island in Atlantic County, inside of Great Egg Harbor Bay, that has allowed thousands of folks to experience great outdoor recreation and fishing over the past few decades.

Many know of it and have been there with fond memories.
Father and son, father and daughter, grandfather and grandchildren, fishing buddies, families, extended families.....nature lovers, birdwatchers, outdoors lovers.....hikers.....

Many user groups have been to Drag Island and enjoyed its rustic charms and the benefits of it being on the edge of a marine environment rich in saltwater diversity.....

Many have never heard of it. :don't know why:

DarkSkies
03-01-2013, 08:13 AM
How important can one island be? After all, it's just a composite of dirt, rocks, sand, sedges and foul smelling marsh mud.....What makes it so special?

To begin with, these are its geographical coordinates....

Class: Island
County: Atlantic
Latitude: N39.2998378
Longitude: W74.6162686
Elevation: 6 ft MSL

** Note, from the topographic maps it seems to define the bordering edges of Atlantic and Cape May Counties

Looking at the above stats doesn't tell you much.......so why should you care about this piece of dirt and mud, stuck in the middle of Great Egg Harbor Bay? :bigeyes:

DarkSkies
03-01-2013, 08:22 AM
The problem:

As I understand it some of the bridge accessing the island has fallen into disrepair. Plans are in place to replace the existing bridge with a new one.
This is outlined below -

1. With the creation of a new southbound Parkway bridge that spans across the Egg Harbor river, access to drag island will be lost forever.

2. The existing plan is to demolish the Rt9 bridge, which spans from SomersPoint-Beesly's Pt.

3. The island has always been accessible, even when the Rt 9 bridge was open.

4. Since the bridge was shut down do to structural problems, the area has been frequently used by people who enjoy the outdoors, and know what a fantastic area the Egg harbor river is.

5. If we don't get our local politicians to push for the repair or replacement of the span, while construction of the parkway span is ongoing, then we will most likely never see access to that area again..EVER

It is the basis for a petition that has been started to try to gain support for keeping this access open....
You can view that petition, and sign it (either with your name, or anonymously if you prefer....)
HERE.....
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/s...island-access/ (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-drag-island-access/)

DarkSkies
03-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Public Access and the Public Trust - Why should You Care?

I have gotten involved this because that's one of the things that is important to me....I fight for access for fishermen and outdoors people....I have seen access taken away, and several times been part of the long line of folks who protest because it's important to them as well.....

1 example....
Fishermen lost access to a local beach in Brookhaven, LI, (Shoreham Beach) It took almost 2 years of hard work, protests, letter writing, meetings, and candidate awareness at the local election level to get that access back......

There is a Doctrine in the Constitution called the Public Trust Doctrine....
This Doctrine states that:

The Public Trust Doctrine (http://www.nj.gov/dep/cmp/access/public_access_handbook.pdf)
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1044

The set of laws that guarantees all people rights to the water. First set by the Roman Emperor Justinian around A.D. 500 as part of Roman civil law, the Public Trust Doctrine establishes the public's right to full use of the seashore as declared in the following quotation from Book II of the Institutes of Justinian:

“By the law of nature these things are common to all mankind – the air, running water, the sea, and consequently the shores of the sea.

No one, therefore, is forbidden to approach the seashore, provided that he respects habitations, monuments, and the buildings, which are not, like the sea, subject only to the law of nations.”

Influenced by Roman civil law, the tenets of public trust were maintained through English common Law and adopted by the original 13 colonies.

Following the American Revolution, the royal right to tidelands was vested to the 13 new states, then to each subsequent state, and has remained a part of public policy into the present time.

Through various judicial decisions, the right of use upheld by the Public Trust Doctrine has been incorporated into many state constitutions and statutes, allowing the public the right to all lands, water and resources held in the public trust by the state, including those in New Jersey.

Here's the link:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/cmp/access/public_access_handbook.pdf

DarkSkies
03-01-2013, 08:46 AM
One issue here is that Drag Island may not fall under the Public Trust Doctrine.....

However, the access issue has been addressed before in other states....

Rhode Island, for example, has held that:
"WHEREAS, It is the duty of the General Assembly to provide for the conservation of the natural resources of the State and to hold the marine resources in trust for the benefit and use and enjoyment of the people of this State"

For those who have an interest in preserving a resource like this, the point I'm trying to make above is that to do something like this, and preserve such an area, is not now without precedent, as other states have done this as well.

Just wanted to touch on that for now...I'll come back later to draw more explicit parallels to other states and what they did...and how it could apply to NJ folks.

DarkSkies
03-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Looking at Drag Island...........

Before people can care about an issue, I have found that they must understand it better....
You cannot expect most folks to understand and support something, unless it reaches them on a personal level....

So what this piece of mud and dirt, why should you care? :don't know why:

A simple google search gives you this view of Drag Island

The first one shows a bird's eye view of the island, which is located southwest of Somers point in Atlantic County.
The 2nd pic shows an expanded view of the island (denoted by the A)

As you can see it is a small island, less than 1/2 mile wide at its widest point.

However, it is a key recreation point of access in the Atlantic County area

dogfish
03-01-2013, 12:58 PM
You are lucky rich people don't live in the area it looks isolated. If they did you wouldn't be able to fight they would win.

bababooey
03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Found this article dark. Good luck,:HappyWave:

http://www.nbc40.net/story/20971740/fishermen-upset-they-may-lose-access-to-drag-island
Fishermen upset over possibility of losing access to Drag Island
Posted: Feb 05, 2013 4:53 PM EST Updated: Feb 19, 2013 7:58 PM EST Posted By Sam Sweeney

http://wmgm.images.worldnow.com/images/20971740_BG1.jpg

SOMERS POINT - With the imminent demolition of the Beasley's Point Bridge, many are reeling about also losing access to a popular fishing spot.
"I fear that were not gonna be able to fish this area anymore," George Bucci said.
George Bucci has been coming out to drag island via the Beasley's Point Bridge for decades and now he's worried his days fishing from this island are over.
"They are going to be building a new parkway span and the plan is no that the DEP has mitigated to just tear down the existing bridge causeway leaving Drag Island inaccessible," Bucci added.
The new span of the Garden State Parkway bridge will have a fishing pier and a bike path, but fishermen say that is not good enough. they want to be able to reach the island.
"It's fantastic that they are building a path for people to walk and ride bikes, but really who wants to enjoy nature when you have a tractor tailor feet away from you," Bucci said.
The fishermen say this is no ordinary spot to drop their hook. With the Patcong Creek, Egg Harbor and Tuckahoe Rivers all feeding into this location, it's one the few spots in our area where you can catch both fresh and salt water fish.
"The difference of maybe a mile is that this area is an area where the salt and freshwater lines kind of meet. You can actually catch fresh water fish and the next day come and catch flounder, striper any kind of fish," Bucci explained.
State leaders say they feel for the fishermen, but say there simply is no budget for an access path.
"We believe that local municipalities whether it be Somers Point, if they are interested I'm sure the state would work along in that direction," Assemblymen John Amodeo said.

George has also started an online petition asking for the state to change its course, in one last attempt to 'catch' a break.
For more information on that petition you can visit: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-drag-island-access/

buckethead
03-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Nice story. i'm assuming that is eelball. Keep up the good work guys.:clapping:

clamchucker
03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Fantastic job eelball and dark skies. I fished that bay years ago. It is very productive almost year round. I don't have the energy nowadays and wish I could do more. We do not need to lose any more access.

jigfreak
03-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Yep that is eelball. Good job to everyone. what clamchucker said, it would really suck if the plans went like they want. A fishing pier on the side is not the same thing. We need access to stay right where it is.

DarkSkies
03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the kind words people....remember that it is the result of a group effort...there are some who are pestering those in charge with phone calls and letters...but only a few have been able to invest that kind of time so far...so if anyone can step up and do more than signing the petition, it would be a big help.....

There may be some other groups joining, but I don't think it prudent to talk about who may or may not be lending support...it is a grassroots movement and folks are trying to shake the trees to get attention and build momentum...
And my job, trying to do this here, is just one small part.....trying to raise awareness...

Thanks for reading....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-04-2013, 09:28 AM
I fished that bay years ago. It is very productive almost year round.

A fishing pier on the side is not the same thing. We need access to stay right where it is.

These are solid comments and show a good understanding of the issues. :thumbsup:
As I understand it, access from the side would be fishing at the edge of a mud flat, where the fish travel up to 1000 yards out and only come in under the most ideal circumstances.

For the guys who fish northern beaches, one (somewhat relative) analogy I can think of...is the Keansburg fishing pier....or,,,going back in time...the Long Branch fishing pier,
Even though they're now destroyed....when they were up some of the best fishing was out near the front or front sides.

DarkSkies
03-04-2013, 09:30 AM
From what I have learned, that's the case for Drag Island, in that it offers people access to drag channel. As mentioned, it is the confluence of several creeks and rivers, where the salt and fresh water meet. This would be a focal point for fish to congregate and rich in marine life for them to feed on.

Although I have said it's about access.. it's also the Quality of the Fishing...moving the access from where it is now... will choke the robustness of the fishing opportunities...down to a trickle.....

For those who may not understand that, it's an important point as well....:learn:

DarkSkies
03-04-2013, 10:11 AM
History of Somers Point and Drag Island....
I thought that folks might be able to relate to this better, if they had a more complete sense of the history of the area......

From what I understand, Somers Point and the Drag Island area have a rich marine and fishing history.
At one time the oyster dredges were very common, and there were quite a few fishermen in the area who made their living from the bay and sea.

DarkSkies
03-04-2013, 10:14 AM
This is the PDF of the Turnpike Authority Meeting outline Sept 20, 2012

There are some interesting charts and diagrams here.
I'm a little unclear on what happened at that meeting because I was not involved at that point.
If anyone wants to chime in and help fill in the blanks I would be grateful.

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/Public-Hearing-Presentation-Great-Egg.pdf

DarkSkies
03-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Some pics....

I have often found that pics and videos tell a better story than words...so I'll try to post more throughout.

The Topo map is from Beesley's Point northward with Drag Island in the middle.
Eelball already graciously explained that the portion of the island East of the Parkway Briidge is a wildlife sanctuary where access is restricted.
The access for other outdoors enthusiasts is only on the West side of the Parkway bridge. (based on the topo map view)

The arial view is from the north/Somers Point general area, looking toward the SE. In that view the access that is threatened is the right portion of the island, the small spit meandering out from the main body.

DarkSkies
03-04-2013, 11:15 AM
History of Somers Point and Drag Island....
I thought that folks might be able to relate to this better, if they had a more complete sense of the history of the area......

From what I understand, Somers Point and the Drag Island area have a rich marine and fishing history.
At one time the oyster dredges were very common, and there were quite a few fishermen in the area who made their living from the bay and sea.

This pic took me back in time and showed me a little of the history of the area........I was hoping that with this rich history, folks reading this might get a sense of how important fishing still is in that area....
It was shot by Bill Carr....and came from his Picasa page.....picture credit to Bill Carr.

DarkSkies
03-04-2013, 11:22 AM
This also came from Bill Carr's page and shows an early city pier being built at Somers Point.
Maybe someone who knows more could fill us in on the details. I don't know if that pier is still in existence......Picture credit to Bill Carr.

If it's no longer in existence, this would support my point that every area of fishing access is critically important.

hookset
03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
way to go dark keep up the good work

buckethead
03-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Nice job from stripers and anglers own roving reporter.:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks people but remember that I am but one small part in this whole movement...there are a few behind the scenes who are doing a tremendous amount of the letters, phone calls, and applying pressure....as in all issues like this, the help of everyone who can help, is needed, and appreciated.

rockhopper
03-07-2013, 03:11 PM
We still don't know what is going on with access at fire island. Access is important. When you worry about where you will fish for the spring and summer and opening day is less than 5 weeks away and you still don't know, that is a major PITA. Dont give up on the fight. You should probably keep contacting the news crews and maybe do a cleanup. LIBBA does cleanups every year they are very high profile. I think that helps

DarkSkies
03-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Rockhopper the cleanup is an excellent suggestion and something that is being considered. Thanks for bringing that up and the words of encouragement. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I feel like I am not reaching enough people. The feedback I'm getting is a lot of people aren't interested because they can't see the similarities between this area and their local areas they fish.

When I come back here, I'll try to draw some parallels.

surferman
03-13-2013, 09:01 AM
I signed the petition dark. Keep up the good work. If there is a meeting or something let us know.

jigfreak
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Hey dark did you see the latest RFA press release? RFA joined in. First time I can ever remember them getting involved with the land fishermen. Good job fellas. Keep fighting. You now have an 800lb gorilla to back you.:clapping:

RFA-NJ MEMBERS FIGHT FOR DRAG ISLAND
Rallies Support For Land-Based Angler Access At Beesley's Point

March 14, 2013 - The Drag Island Access Preservation Association (DIAPA) has recently been founded by several interested New Jersey residents and anglers, including longtime Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) member Bill Shillingford of Cape May County. In a recent release by Shillingford and fellow DIAPA members George Bucci, Nick Verducci, and Pat Martin, DIAPA is described as a group formed and determined to fight for continued foot access to Drag Island, a historic surfcasting location at the base of the Garden State Parkway and Beesley's Point bridges in Somers Point.
The State of New Jersey is building a new southbound Parkway bridge and plans to demolish the Beesley's Point Bridge in its entirety, leaving no access to Drag Island for fishermen, crabbers, folks who like to jog or walk, and nature lovers. Access has been in existence to Drag Island for 85 years since the Beesley's Point Bridge first opened in 1928, but plans for the new project would forbid foot access. DIAPA volunteers say that once the Beesley's Point Bridge is demolished, all angler access to Drag Island will be forever taken away, thus violating the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) rules regarding public access.

DIAPA seeks to maintain foot access by keeping open the flat bridge that services Drag Island from Somers Point. Based on NJDEP rules and the Public Trust Doctrine, DIAPA believes that the State has the legal responsibility to maintain access to Drag Island; and by keeping this part of the bridge opened, the Parkway project would be unaffected. DIAPA is also pushing for creation of a fishing pier out of the old Beesley's Point Bridge, specifically the portion of the bridge facing South from Drag Island.

"RFA and RFA-NJ have been committed to protecting access for saltwater anglers, and this Drag Island issue is one we're concerned about," said RFA-NJ member Greg O'Connell. "From a foot traffic standpoint, the first bridge from Somers Point to Drag Island could easily be converted to an angler access mechanism to Drag Island, and that's what we're hoping to get the state to recognize."

O'Connell said that RFA and RFA-NJ have been in frequent meetings with NJDEP officials over the past few years regarding angler access in the state. "We've always been told that there would be no loss of current access points, and we believe that should include small, discreet, historic access points like Drag Island," O'Connell said.

If you are interested in helping save access, DIAPA has started an online petition atwww.ipetitions.com/petition/save-drag-island-access (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001uayQgaKOWJu36Tq4Q4unoBTMoOoTI_DGETDEwa Q5M0UQ2uADfNjzUB_so0FOz6rTo5vBHgs0Cb8yCyjQ-HAanrwGGx3alHc-B9VlIbLoboMg9YnjRdT4EuemcnSwoYmravMpeztXJvrQPp8qUa MDs2obOU7V2cYt). You can also join the New Jersey discussion and debate at www.BassBarn.com (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001uayQgaKOWJuOTCawokJDVjtyiInO4TkXya_yzS 5jGh00cU-ulBJ3vCtzmZWMl3crxfgpJcFWCbz_yJEb1-r3ZBoOqWJvxkVY6nRWoTOcPLA=). DIAPA founders have met with politicians concerning this subject which has also received media attention by Channel 40 news and local newspapers. However, more support is necessary to make an impact. If access to this area is taken away, the public will suffer yet another example of progress taking priority over the rights of citizens.

Make your voice heard and contact the DEP, the Turnpike Authority and your local politicians and ask that access be provided to Drag Island like it has been for the past 85 years. For more information, contact DIAPA at bucktail8@aol.com.

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks for posting that jigfreak. :HappyWave:

There have been several threads on here, over the years, about what the RFA does and does not do for the surf fishermen, and all land based fishermen.

I remember reading a lot of negativity and flak...."Well I don't see how they have helped me, why should I support them?"

We kept quiet as things were in the works, because we were not sure who would, and would not, be able to lend support.

Although there was a lot of behind the scenes work and phone calls by all members of the DIAPA, and all of us have put out a trememdous effort, I think it's important to recognize Bucktail Willie's efforts to build this coalition. He and a few others were relentless in trying to make this happen. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

**We members of the DIAPA were trying to make this connection because there was not enough support out there.
I don't want to start trouble over this, just trying to build bridges of support here, but frankly, as Bucktail Willie also mentioned....338 signatures on a petition, when there are thousands of folks who surf and land fish in NJ, is dismal.....

We are grateful for all who stood up to sign the petition or went beyond that, to lend more support. Your efforts mean more than you could know. They galvanized some of us who were getting tired, to keep going with the fight.

In our broad community of salt water fishermen. there are many who are content to not rock the boat, not get involved, and just spend time fishing. Content to let the "other guys" do the protesting.
Yet there are those who would criticize groups like the RFA, simply because they do not feel they represent all groups of fishermen.

In the past I have been honest about the things I like, and do not like about the RFA...
I have not been shy about voicing my opinion, both negative and postive....

** I share with all reading this, that sometimes you have to align yourself with a group you may not completely agree with, to get things done in politics. Some may take this as criticism of the RFA,,, it is not...merely an attempt to talk about the issues that have bogged down progress in the past, and get some of you folks out there to rise above that, so we can make some progress here....

As I said, only 338 signatures, among tens of thousands of surf fishermen in this state, is appalling to me...at one point I was ready to give up on the petition drive because the apathy was getting me down....

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 11:01 AM
I decided it might be effective if

1. I addressed each group of fishermen (different areas) specifically..I'm trying to reach fishermen who might not have heard of Drag Island, so please excuse me if I skipped or mistakenly omitted an area......
2. This is not designed to offend, but to make you think...about what you would do if you lost access in your favorite area?

How many of you are Hatteras Fishermen?.......

Many of you like to go down to Hatteras when the drum or bass are there.....
It has been an oasis of relaxation for many families, for decades.....a laid back, relaxed lifestyle, camping, renting a beach house, family fun, and some fantastic fishing when the fish are there...

1. What if you drove down there one year, and the nature lovers had completely gotten their wishes?
2. What would you do if they told you you could come down and enjoy the beach, but you would have to do it from a lighthouse?
3. You weren't allowed to set foot on the beaches anymore.
4. Looking at the beautiful sand, beach, outdoors, and fish, you would have to be content to do it from a lighthouse....
5. How would you feel? Would you be angry?
6. Would you be mad enough to write a protest letter, make a call, or sign a petition?

I raise these questions, to the folks reading them, to get them to think about access lost in other areas, Drag Island, that they may not be aware of, or think about...and to get them to see....that if access can be lost at Drag Island, it can just as easily be lost at Hatteras...........

** For those of you familiar with Hatteras, I know there has been an ongoing access battle for years.....and it is terrible to think of how things may play out in the future....anyone who fishes Hatteras regularly should be Mad as Hell....

** What would you say as a father, if you brought your son or daughter to fish a place like this, and they asked you.....
"Daddy why can't we fish here?"

Would you be able to say to them that you did all you could to fight against it, or would you have no answer for them?

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 01:22 PM
How many of you are LBI Fishermen?.......

Many of you like to go to LBI when the bass or blues are there.....
It has been an oasis of relaxation for many families, for decades.....a laid back, relaxed lifestyle, renting a beach house, family fun, and some fantastic fishing when the fish are there...

1. What if you drove there one year, and the nature lovers and homeowners had completely gotten their wishes to restrict access?

2. What would you do if they told you you could come down and enjoy the beach, but you would have to do it from the Barnegat lighthouse?
3. You weren't allowed to set foot on the beaches anymore....You could only drive to all the beaches, and walk along the dunes, never setting foot on the beach itself.
4. How would you feel? Would you be angry?
5. Would you be mad enough to write a protest letter, make a call, or sign a petition?

I raise these questions, to the folks reading them, to get them to think about access lost in other areas, Drag Island, that they may not be aware of, or think about...and to get them to see....that if access can be lost at Drag Island, it can just as easily be lost at LBI...........

** For those of you familiar with LBI, I know there has been an ongoing access battle for years..In some cases homeowners don't want to allow access to beaches, which some residents consider as "theirs", even though access is specifically spelled out in the Public Trust Doctrine..

There were recent access meetings in Long Beach in the summer of 2011.......I was there for one of those meetings, and we were grateful for every person who showed up to speak....this is what we mean by getting involved, letting your voice be heard....
It is terrible to think of how things may play out in the future....anyone who fishes LBI regularly should be concerned about fishing access there...on the beaches, AND the bridges....

** What would you say as a father, if you brought your son or daughter to fish a place like this, and they asked you.....

Would you be able to say to them that you did all you could to fight against it, or would you have no answer for them?

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 01:34 PM
How many of you are IBSP Fishermen?.......

Many of you like to go to IBSPwhen the bass or blues are there.....
It has been an oasis of relaxation for many families, for decades.....a laid back, relaxed lifestyle, family fun, and some fantastic fishing when the fish are there...

1. What if you drove there one year, and the nature lovers and environmentalists had completely gotten their wishes to restrict access?

2. What would you do if they told you you could come down and enjoy the beach, but you would have to do it from the road, and could not walk on the beach? You weren't allowed to set foot on the beaches anymore....
3. How would you feel? Would you be angry?
4. Would you be mad enough to write a protest letter, make a call, or sign a petition?

I raise these questions, to the folks reading them, to get them to think about access lost in other areas, Drag Island, that they may not be aware of, or think about...and to get them to see....that if access can be lost at Drag Island, it can just as easily be lost at IBSP...........

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
How many of you are Oyster Creek Fishermen?.......

Many of you like to go to Oyster Creek when the bass or blues are there.....
Although many of us are reluctant to talk about it, it offers ideal conditions to fish at certain times of the year, due to the warm water discharge....

1. What if you drove there one year, and the gov't had completely gotten their wishes to restrict access?

2. What would you do if they told you you could come down and enjoy looking at the water, but you would have to do it from the road, and could not walk on the banks of the river or any of the bay areas? ....
4. Would you be mad enough to write a protest letter, make a call, or sign a petition?

I raise these questions, to the folks reading them, to get them to think about access lost in other areas, Drag Island, that they may not be aware of, or think about...and to get them to see....that if access can be lost at Drag Island, it can just as easily be lost at Oyster Creek...........

** For those of you familiar with Oyster Creek, I know there have been an ongoing access issues for years....

In some cases homeowners don't want to allow access to beaches, which some residents consider as "theirs", even though access is specifically spelled out in the Public Trust Doctrine..In some cases I agree with the homeowners, as some fishermen have behaved badly, leaving trash, fish racks, public urination near the homes, and a total disrespect for those who live close to the fishing.

The areas there that are now available to the public, have shrunk from what they have been years ago.....and it seems each year we lose more access back there because of the selfish behavior of a few.

It is terrible to think of how things may play out in the future....anyone who fishes Oyster Creek regularly should be concerned about fishing access there...on the beaches, AND the bridges....

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 01:48 PM
How many of you are Graveling Point Fishermen?.......

Many of you like to go to Graveling Point when the bass or blues are there.....
Although many of us are reluctant to talk about it, it offers ideal conditions to fish at certain times of the year, due to the Mullica River and back bay estuaries that exist in that area.

1. What if you drove there one year, and the gov't and homeowners had completely gotten their wishes to restrict access?

2. What would you do if they told you you could come down and enjoy looking at the water, but you would have to do it from the road, and could not walk on the banks of the river or any of the bay areas? ....

I raise these questions, to the folks reading them, to get them to think about access lost in other areas, Drag Island, that they may not be aware of, or think about...and to get them to see....that if access can be lost at Drag Island, it can just as easily be lost at Graveling Point...........

** For those of you familiar with Graveling Point, the access is good....no real issues there....but that can change quickly.....

In some cases homeowners don't want to allow access to beaches, which some residents consider as "theirs", even though access is specifically spelled out in the Public Trust Doctrine..In some cases I agree with the homeowners, as some fishermen have behaved badly, leaving trash, fish racks, public urination near the homes, and a total disrespect for those who live close to the fishing.

The areas there that are now available to the public, have shrunk from what they have been years ago.....and it seems each year we lose more access back there because of the selfish behavior of a few.

It is terrible to think of how things may play out in the future....anyone who fishes Graveling Point regularly should be concerned about fishing access there.......

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
How many of you are Inlet Fishermen?.......

Many of you like to go to inlets when the bass or blues are there.....
They have been an oasis of relaxation for many families, for decades.....chance for families to watch the boats coming in and out, have a nice picnic lunch, take the kids fishing for some small fish, and possibly hook into the fish of a lifetime, deep in the night...
Inlets that had restrictions since Sandy...
*(yes i know some of them have since been lifted).
Manasquan Inlet
Shark River Inlet
There are others as well, the Longport/Ocean City Inlet and others in South Jersey....many folks out there have a great time going to inlets and planning activities around them...and in other states, the famous Indian River Inlet in Delaware

1. What if you drove there one year, and the gov't convinced legislators that it was dangerous for folks to fish from inlets (some have actually been killed over the years fishing in bad weather from inlets) Making a case for this is far-fetched, but in the world we live in, not an impossibility.
2. What would you do if they told you you could come down and enjoy the inlet, but you would have to do it from the road, and could not walk on the sides of the inlet? You weren't allowed to set foot on the rocks anymore....

I raise these questions, to the folks reading them, to get them to think about access lost in other areas, Drag Island, that they may not be aware of, or think about...and to get them to see....that if access can be lost at Drag Island, it can just as easily be lost at your favorite inlet...........

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
How many of you are River Fishermen?.......

Many of you like to go to rivers when the bass or blues are there.....
They have been a place of relaxation for many families, for decades.....chance for families to have a nice picnic lunch, take the kids fishing for some small fish, and possibly hook into the fish of a lifetime, deep in the night...

Rivers that some of you may fish....
Delaware
Maurice
Mullica
Manasquan
Toms River
Shark River
Shrewsbury
Navesink
Raritan
Hackensack
Passaic
Hudson

There are others as well but I think I covered many of the popular ones above....

1. What if you drove there one year, and the gov't convinced legislators that it was dangerous for riverbanks....and fishermen couldn't fish there anymore....

**Don't laugh, there is a place in Trenton, famous early season fishing for shad and herring, that has been closed for some 5 years now. Anyone who has been to the Trenton Thunder stadium or Katmandu has probably seen it, with the fencing around it......

We are going on 5 years now, with some other key river access areas being fenced in, after the mayor of Trenton promised that they were "looking into it"....5 years later, still no access in these spots.

*Additionally, FishinCrazy has talked about losing access at some of his favorite Delaware river spots as well.

2. What would you do if they told you you could come down and enjoy the river, but you would have to do it from the road, and could not walk on the sides of the river? You weren't allowed to set foot on the riverbank anymore....

I raise these questions, to the folks reading them, to get them to think about access lost in other areas, Drag Island, that they may not be aware of, or think about...and to get them to see....that if access can be lost at Drag Island, it can just as easily be lost at your favorite river...........

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 02:44 PM
How many of you are Jetty Fishermen?.......

Many of you like to go to jetties when the bass or blues are there.....
They have been a legendary place to find fish for decades.....take the kids fishing for some small fish, and possibly hook into the fish of a lifetime, deep in the night...

Towns and Jetties that, at one time or other, have had restrictions or access issues over the years.....
(*Some of those issues may have since been resolved)

* Avalon - safety concerns
* Cape May - I believe the jetty at Coast Guard station is now gated at night...
* Ocean city - beach/ jetty night curfew
* Stone Harbor - no night jetty fishing, safety concerns
* Spring Lake - back in the 80's they tried to ban all jetty fishing
* Allenhurst - same
* Asbury Park - no interest in restoring or allowing access to the famous 8th ave jetty until Joe Pallotto, and many other clubs besides the Asbury Club,got involved.....
* Deal - at one time restricted jetty and surfing access until a lawsuit was threatened
* Long Branch - 1. some issues came up over the years as well., the most significant being the one at the now leveled beach club
2. St Alphonse retreat - access lost over 3 years ago because of poor fishermen behavior, slowly working on getting access back.

* Atlantic Highlands - one of the most productive bay jetties, the W jetty to the left of the harbor entrance, closed off permanently after someone fooling around fell, became paralyzed, and sued the owners for millions....

1. What if you drove to your favorite jetty one year, and the townspeople convinced town legislators that it was dangerous for folks to fish from jetties (some have actually been killed over the years fishing from jetties) Making a case for this is far-fetched, but with the examples above, not an impossibility.

2. What would you do if they told you you could come down and enjoy the ocean, but you would have to do it from the sand, and could not walk out on the jetty? You weren't allowed to set foot on the rocks anymore....

I raise these questions, to the folks reading them, to get them to think about access lost in other areas, Drag Island, that they may not be aware of, or think about...and to get them to see....that if access can be lost at Drag Island, it can just as easily be lost at your favorite jetty...........

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 03:11 PM
How many of you are Bridge Fishermen?.......

Many of you like to go to bridges when the bass or blues are there.....

Generally, talk about bridge fishing is frowned upon. Those who do it, know it has space for limited guys to come out and fish. Any selfishness or stupid behavior can have the effect of penalizing hundreds of guys, for the behavior of a selfish few. This exact scenario happened in Monmouth County in 2011.
Fishermen lost access to 3 of the main fishing bridges there.....

The Red Bank Bridge
The Oceanic Bridge
The Rumson Bridge

The Highlands Bridge, since its new higher span was completed several years ago, is no longer accessible or feasible for fishermen to fish from....

What that means, is that within the space of 5 years, almost all the prime bridge fishing in Monmouth County, NJ, has been eliminated.
There have been several attempts in the last 2 years to get some of this access back....so far...no dice.....IMO we are not getting it back.....the abuses piled up, disrespectful things were done, property owners were fed up.. (in some cases rightly so)...and despite the best efforts of quite a few fishing groups and clubs, some with poitical connections, no progress has been made in these 2 years that we have lost access.....

1. What would you do or say if this happened in your area?
2. What would you do if they told you you could come down and enjoy the fishing, but you would have to do it from the road or bulkhead, and could not fish on the bridges anymore....

I raise these questions, to the folks reading them, to get them to think about access lost in other areas, Drag Island, that they may not be aware of, or think about...and to get them to see....that if access can be lost at Drag Island, it can just as easily be lost at your favorite bridge...........

Update...since we lost bridge access, fishermen have tried to be creative by fishing adjacent areas....there were up to a 100 fishermen that would be at these 3 bridges on some nights,.....these guys have not quit fishing, but have moved on to try to find other places to stand and fish....

In some cases this has backfired, as homeowners in adjacent areas are now complaining to the police more, and police are issuing summonses.
In a case in the Spring of 2012, an angler was given a summons in Rumson, for fishing on a public street, with bulkhead access to the water......

How would you feel, if when you went to fish a bulkhead, you were the guy to get that ticket?

DarkSkies
03-15-2013, 04:04 PM
I hope that some of these scenarios, have presented the Drag Island situation so that folks now can relate to it better....

If you are a saltwater fisherman who fishes from land regularly, chances are you have heard about at least one of the places mentioned in this thread.

Chances are, that your fishing has been affected by some of these closures.
If it has, I hope you will consider how Drag Island is equally as important, and that it is the same as if you lose (or lost) access at your favorite fishing hole....

Remember, when access is lost at one area, we all lose....'
and that if your child asks you the following...

Thanks for reading......:HappyWave:

storminsteve
03-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Dude are you getting ready to type a novel? Because you sure typed half of one today.:HappyWave:
thanks for using the pics they really helped to break it up. Keep up the good work

finchaser
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
You spent allot of time trying to save a place no one ever heard of . Then spent more time trying to make people feel bad for the few that go there by showing pictures of area's that many people from all over come to visit where the state makes money. The main reason they want to close it from what I hear is the cost of maintaining an old bridge not to stop people from fishing . No offense but your efforts could have been better spent on saving fish or beach access. In all the months this has been going on only a hand full of people signed the petition just my .02. It is just a matter of time before on all bridges will be ban to fishing because the state has been privatizing the tender jobs and the new companies don't want people on them for insurance reasons and garbage left behind.

hookset
03-15-2013, 08:26 PM
finchaser I remember reading some threads here where you and some other guys were all about access and fighting for things. Didn't you fight against the bunker boats, and something about the asbury jetty at one time?

finchaser
03-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Hookset

I still do fight for many fishing related things. I go to many meetings some very boring, but not to save a bridge the state can't afford to maintain which has already been replace by a new bridge. IMO not a priority there are much greater battles that pertain to the masses of fisherman's rights. I am in 2 fishing clubs and this never was even mentioned. Where as driving on the beaches and grandfathered beach access spots that Sandy took and may not be replaced are on the front burner. Been fighting for 40 years and have learned you have to pick and choose fights by priority especially when it comes to government. I'm all for what DS is doing I signed the petition which consisted of about 300 people state wide, but he's getting a little carried away and don't want him to be discouraged if things don't go his way.

seamonkey
03-16-2013, 07:13 AM
I still do fight for many fishing related things. I go to many meetings some very boring, but not to save a bridge the state can't afford to maintain which has already been replace by a new bridge. IMO not a priority there are much greater battles that pertain to the masses of fisherman's rights. I am in 2 fishing clubs and this never was even mentioned. .

finchaser I wanted to ask if you have ever walked or fished drag island? A lot of people don't know about it. I have fished there and signed the petition. I don't know how much you have read about it but saving the bridge is possible without spending too much money. The engineering studies talk about the deterioration of the bridge and the concern for handling vehicle traffic. That is why it has been closed. No one has really come out with an engineering study that says it can't handle foot traffic. I don't mean to disagree but you should read up a little more on this before you put it down. The area there has awesome fishing and crabbing at the right times. My Dad first took me there when I was younger and I have a lot of good memories there. Just because the clubs you are in don't think it's important doesn't mean it is not important. My .02.

finchaser
03-16-2013, 07:35 AM
I never fished there don't even really know where it is and I'm sure it's important to you and other's. Then more people need to get off there a_s and get the info to clubs and and other sites to make it important. All his time spent here for the few people that will read it is a waste of time. Jokes get more views and replies than this. I had this talk with Dark yesterday. This post got more attention since Steve and I made comments take your fight to the public . That's where it will get the fight won. We won many battles way before the INTERNET and smart phones. We did it all with club support and contacting politicians. Remember everyone does not go on line, read something and react, they assume others are doing something. We put petiton sheets in tackle shops gave them to neighbors brought them to work etc etc etc.

The resent fluke meeting the public won because of club members,tackle shop owners and charter boat captains that went to the meeting, not from people who looked at pictures or read well written stories on line and did nothing. A few people who signed a petition out of the millions that fish is almost meaning less believe me I've been at this since we formed the JCAA in the early 80's. Get people to get off there as_es and do something that's how you win not reading a novel with pictures.

Monty
03-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Wow, who got up on the wrong side of the bed? :HappyWave:
Can see both perspectives, well written posts Dark, I see Fin's points too.
I have tons of respect for both of you and your opinions. But we all have our own opinions/thought processes and some of us have even hit our heads on rocks or something and our "thoughts" are a little skewed.
I won't list my opinion on this, signed the petition.... :) .

finchaser
03-16-2013, 03:24 PM
No it wouldn't bother me in the least bit plus I wrote 2 of them last night and discussed this with him twice on the phone. He needs to reach out and not here if he wants to win.

The end

bababooey
03-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Wow, who got up on the wrong side of the bed? :HappyWave:
Can see both perspectives, well written posts Dark,

Don't throw stones at the bear Monty the mafia limo is liable to show up at your house to take you for a ride.:laugh: I don't see what the issue is with Dark's posts either. He talks about the issue, and tries to rally the troops. I had no idea where drag island was before I started seeing those posts. I also signed the petition so I think for raising awareness I would give some :clapping: for that. Keep up the good work Dark and keep us posted.

Monty
03-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Don't throw stones at the bear Monty the mafia limo is liable to show up at your house to take you for a ride.:laugh: .
Thanks for pointing that out bababooey and giving Fin ideas :HappyWave:
It was a small stone....followed by a compliment :thumbsup:
Great interesting thread/discussion.

:wheeeee:

finchaser
03-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Don't throw stones at the bear Monty the mafia limo is liable to show up at your house to take you for a ride.:laugh: I don't see what the issue is with Dark's posts either. He talks about the issue, and tries to rally the troops. I had no idea where drag island was before I started seeing those posts. I also signed the petition so I think for raising awareness I would give some :clapping: for that. Keep up the good work Dark and keep us posted.

This will also answer Hookset and Seamonkey

I tried to inspire Dark to reach out as inspiring a few here is not going to win something he is obsessed with.

To answer the question of why the clubs because you reach thousands, today I got emails from 3 different clubs about the poachers of eels from Maine that were arrested. In 3 months i have yet to get an email about Drag island from any club,JCAA,DEP,NMFS or the IPA( all agencies I am on mailing lists for) only the RFA so you see there is only awareness on a few websites. Clubs have meetings every month and discuss issues to be involved in and what needs to be done and this hasn't come up in 3 months.

In the early 80's we (as in 4 of us) started the JCAA in the Spring Lake Library to unite the Beach buggy association and all fishing clubs in NJ so we would be heard as a large voting group not just a few people. remember clubs have Doctors, Lawyers and business men as members who have access to some powerful people.

Some of the Fights I have been involved in that the clubs have been instrumental in winning threw the years.
Fishing in Allenhurst
Fishing on Jetties while beaches are open
Sueing Avon for beach asscess
Fishing in Deal after dark
Parking in Deal east of ocean ave
Parking in sea bright
Fishing on beach with out buying beach badges
Driving on many beaches
Bunker reduction boats out 3 miles
Bait clam boats allowed to fish in contaminated areas
Oyster and clam harvest
etc etc.etc.

Many others that in over close to 40 years I don't remember because they really didn't pertain to me like Drag island but I care so I do things,because anything lost is gone forever and that's a long time.

A perfect example you will all recall they were closing down fluke fishing. So we started the SSFFF (Save the Summer Fluke fishing Foundation). To make a long story short we raised a ton of money hired a leading fish scientist who did a study. Then gave the results to NMFS and over turned the government and you still fish for fluke.

All of the above was done without the INTERNET except for telling when the meetings are. the internet has caused people to lose there social skills and communicating skills.

I am not against saving Drag Island just know there are better ways to go about things after years of fighting even as recent as the fluke meeting last week.

Biggest mistake was giving up 2 fluke 2 years ago because the guys from south Jersey showed up in mass force and voted for a 1/2 inch smaller fluke we will never get the 2 back.

Anything you give up you never get back,Dark can make a few aware on line but the bottom line is after 3 months there are only 300 some what signatures in the state of NJ with all the writing and pictures. This is Darks first big campaign so's whose gonna step up to the plate to help him besides me.

So if any of you are mad at me oh well tell me what you have done to save quotas, access and such. After all your all AWARE

As I always say the Internet and bunker will be the demise of bass

later

DarkSkies
03-17-2013, 11:17 AM
. This is Darks first big campaign so's whose gonna step up to the plate to help him besides me.

So if any of you are mad at me oh well tell me what you have done to save quotas, access and such. After all your all AWARE

later

Well you got all the things right that you have been involved in, and I thank you for that.....:rolleyes:
You're getting very verbose in your old cranky years, is it possible I've had some influence on that? :laugh: :kiss:

I have thanked you and the old farts here many times for all you have done....there are dozens of threads here where folks will see me thanking you and all the others, for all you have done....please don't make me prove it I don't have the time.....:HappyWave:

I will continue to thank you all, and point out all you have done...

**ALL in the fishing world have benefitted greatly from the roads you have all paved.....:clapping: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-17-2013, 11:19 AM
This is not my first time around the block, fighting for access, fishing, fisheries management and the right to fish.....

Just one example, Brookhaven at Shoreham Beach., LI.....which I will probably never in my lifetime fish at....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?990-Brookhaven-bans-fishing-at-Shoreham-Beach!
1. Yet I was up there 7 or 8 times, spending around $100 in fuel and tolls to get back and forth there each time (enough for a tuna charter or a mini-vacation, for me...or a VS, or some other selfish purchase).

2. I joined forces with all the LI guys, the MSSA, LIBBA, and the NYCRF, Willy Young and Tom Farell, and hundreds of others, at those meetings, fighting, protesting, without knowing that that little spot of sand on the LI North Shore, surrounded by elitist homeowners who blamed the trash and debris on fishermen....would take on historic importance in beach access battles.

3.During that battle, I proved, with pictures, that the worst offenders were the local teens who came to the beaches there to get drunk, high, hang out, have sex....(all normal teen behaviors) but the fishermen were getting blamed nonetheless...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?3415-A-tale-of-2-towns-Brookhaven-vs-Riverhead

4. Together...we managed to get a fishing favorable councilman elected to that Township.....yet still lost access for 2 years.....until things could be resolved....

5. At that time, we didn't realize it was a landmark case for fishing and beach access.....looking back I now see how important it was....I'm grateful for all the folks that came together, and that I could be an effective part of that, posting incessantly on every website out there....begging for help, and getting people fired up (thanks for that bababooey) :HappyWave:

6. Some remember that, and the sacrifices we made to be part of that....I thank all here and on other sites for the kind words in remembering that....:thumbsup: and all the support they have given....we needed each and every person who participated. In small groups we had no power, and in numbers we were strong.

There was also the March on Washington, several other local access meetings and fisheries meetings I have been to, despite the fact that you will rarely see me fish for sea bass, fluke, tog, or other groundfish....yet I was there, and have been fighting for several years............

DarkSkies
03-17-2013, 11:20 AM
**Before we go back and forth anymore on this, you old grouchy basstard :whoo: that I wanted to :bonk: the other day......
you and some of the other old farts and grouchy basstards here and in my life were part of the inspiration for that....
I offer my humble and sincerest thanks and praise.......every chance I get...the thread below being just one of dozens here where I try to show others all you have done.....
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8138-Tribute-to-OLD-FARTS-The-GROUCHY-BASSTARDS-and-the-CRABBY-OLD-BASSTARDS-out-there

Too much praise, and people will think I am shilling for you, without knowing why.....
I try to show as balanced a picture as I can.....

DarkSkies
03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
I have about 5 more posts on this subject in my head....

4 of them are rants about how damn negative and grouchy you are.......:laugh:
You go to bed with the grouchy Gremlin in your head...:devil:
You wake up with the grouchy Gremlin still there....:devil:
If a day goes by and you ain't grouchy or negative about something....:argue:..it will probably the End of the World as predicted in the Bible...;)
Your daily temperament is Gloom and Doom...:argue:...so much so that your best pals have that nickname for you......:laugh:

**(I already know you have many nicknames for me...dumpster dark, the port-o-potty fisherman., the noxious nomad fisherman, bunker boy, clam eater, the suicide jetty guy, delusional dark, crazy dark, capt insaneo, dark the dillydock, etc, etc...if I haven't listed all of them here.... feel free to add to your heart's content.....:ROFLMAO

Your negativity is something we will battle about, until I am dead and buried at sea...unless you die first....
I think we need to fish....waddya say?....at the end of next week I'm coming down your way, and we're hitting some salt water.....:thumbsup:
Are you in? :moon: :fishing:

** the next 3 posts will be rants on the Apathy of the modern fisherman, and what, if anything, can be done to change that....
Stay tuned......
Yes people really do **** as far as getting involved...and are very self absorbed in the times we live in...but there are ways to address this without yelling at them.....

bababooey
03-17-2013, 11:52 AM
:plastered:You two bicker more than the grumpy old men in that series. Thanks to you both for all you have done. Dark great job keep up the good work. Thanks for raising awareness. If there is a meeting I will try to go.

buckethead
03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
I have about 5 more posts on this subject in my head....

4 of them are rants about how damn negative and grouchy you are.......:laugh:
You go to bed with the grouchy Gremlin in your head...:devil:
You wake up with the grouchy Gremlin still there....:devil:
If a day goes by and you ain't grouchy or negative about something....:argue:..it will probably the End of the World as predicted in the Bible...;)
Your daily temperament is Gloom and Doom...:argue:...so much so that your best pals have that nickname for you......:laugh:

**(I already know you have many nicknames for me...dumpster dark, the port-o-potty fisherman., the noxious nomad fisherman, bunker boy, clam eater, the suicide jetty guy, delusional dark, crazy dark, capt insaneo, dark the dillydock, etc, etc...if I haven't listed all of them here.... feel free to add to your heart's content.....:ROFLMAO

:clapping: Post of the week. I propose a contest who has the craziest nicknames.
Finchaser and Darkskies I want to thank you equally for all you have done. I signed the petition. I also remember brookhaven and all the work you did on that. If there is more to be done please let us know. As bababooey said I don't know what makes you two go back and forth like that. You are obviously fishing buddies and friends. Do you do this at the same level when you fish together?

finchaser
03-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Here's all you need to do to get people to help.

Have them have there family sign and then send.

Then send to every person on your email list to sign, even if they dont fish, names are votes period. Short and sweet. All of the above accomplishments were done with no internet or History lessons.

Please help me save a fishing location for generations to come .Open and sign the link below and forward this to everyone one on your email list

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/s...island-access/ (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-drag-island-access/)

Thanks for your help.

I'm sure by time DS edits this it will be 5 pages long.

DarkSkies
03-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Just wanted to thank Fin for his efforts, posting up the template, and making it easy for anyone who has the slightest interest, learn about this and become a part of fighting for fishing access.......

For the record, despite our differences of opinion, I consider myself fortunate and lucky to have met the grouchy basstid. One who for years was fighting for access, fishing rights, fighting against commercial fishing abuses, and still continues to fight on....

Drag Island is a hard concept for folks to get passionate about...it is a piece of muck and mud, at time infested by mosquitos and night creatures that could **** the blood out of an elephant.... a back bay area that doesn't inspire the same passion as Montauk, beach fishing, or driving on a pristine beach. However all of the areas above, from the smallest piece of muck, to the most awe inspiring vistas of the famous surf fishing areas, deserve equal treatment under the law.

Folks have been fishing Drag Island since 1928...If we lose access here it will be so much easier for us to lose access in a "prettier" place.....and that would be a loss for us all, anyone who fishes a shoreline anywhere....

** Also for the record, during his lifetime, Finchaser and his peers in different fishing clubs have done more for fishing access than the majority of the newer fishermen out there, and worked a lot harder at it than signing a freaking petition.......
This all needs to be recognized...they went to meetings, had protests, staged mass shutdowns of beach areas with their fishing vehicles, all in the name of access....in an era where modern folks are characterized by extreme apathy of anything that doesn't happen in their backyard and affect them directly, Finchaser and his peers set milestones, and are true heroes......:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Any disagreements between us are because we both have strong personalities....we both care about fishing for the future, to us that is more important than the fish we catch, today
He knows more about access, fishing, and the history of fishing in NJ, than most folks have forgotten....
His record of fighting and winning, is something I can only hope to achieve, by the end of my life.....

I want to sincerely thank him and his peers, the old farts everywhere, as they know what it is, to really fight for an issue...:clapping::clapping:

Sadly, this is something those of us living in modern times, seem to have forgotten.....:(
Yet the ones who have forgotten how to fight for the greater good, will be the first ones to whine on the internet, when access is lost....:don't know why:

(How's that for short and sweet, ya grouchy basstid? ) :moon: :laugh:
Finchaser and all the guys his age, did it the hard way. We all owe a lot to them, and I would be irresponsible to not point that out as often as necessary.....

**Fishing Club support - Before the weekend I had a template letter to send to all the fishing clubs in North and Central NJ. Between Finchaser and I we managed to get all the correct e-mail addresses, and sent them out....90% coverage so far..by the end of this week every saltwater fishing club in North and Central NJ will have received an e-mail asking them to sign the petition and any other support they can offer.
Thanks for reading.....:don't know why:

dogfish
03-18-2013, 03:10 PM
When you talk about losing access you should think about a game of dominoes. Once one topples the rest soon follow. Good job fellas.:clapping:

storminsteve
03-18-2013, 03:40 PM

Then send to every person on your email list to sign, even if they dont fish, names are votes period. Short and sweet. All of the above accomplishments were done with no internet or History lessons.

Please help me save a fishing location for generations to come .Open and sign the link below and forward this to everyone one on your email list

Thanks for your help.

Thanks finchaser and dark, did that today. I didn't mean to make fun of anyone only trying to lighten things up a bit

hookset
03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
I hope you weren't offended by anything I said either guys. Keep up the good work. Fishing with all the areas that are closed is really going to blow this year.

seamonkey
03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
This will also answer Hookset and Seamonkey

I tried to inspire Dark to reach out as inspiring a few here is not going to win something he is obsessed with.

To answer the question of why the clubs because you reach thousands, today I got emails from 3 different clubs about the poachers of eels from Maine that were arrested. In 3 months i have yet to get an email about Drag island from any club,JCAA,DEP,NMFS or the IPA( all agencies I am on mailing lists for) only the RFA so you see there is only awareness on a few websites. Clubs have meetings every month and discuss issues to be involved in and what needs to be done and this hasn't come up in 3 months.

In the early 80's we (as in 4 of us) started the JCAA in the Spring Lake Library to unite the Beach buggy association and all fishing clubs in NJ so we would be heard as a large voting group not just a few people. remember clubs have Doctors, Lawyers and business men as members who have access to some powerful people.

Some of the Fights I have been involved in that the clubs have been instrumental in winning threw the years.
Fishing in Allenhurst
Fishing on Jetties while beaches are open
Sueing Avon for beach asscess
Fishing in Deal after dark
Parking in Deal east of ocean ave
Parking in sea bright
Fishing on beach with out buying beach badges
Driving on many beaches
Bunker reduction boats out 3 miles
Bait clam boats allowed to fish in contaminated areas
Oyster and clam harvest
etc etc.etc.

Many others that in over close to 40 years I don't remember because they really didn't pertain to me like Drag island but I care so I do things,because anything lost is gone forever and that's a long time.

A perfect example you will all recall they were closing down fluke fishing. So we started the SSFFF (Save the Summer Fluke fishing Foundation). To make a long story short we raised a ton of money hired a leading fish scientist who did a study. Then gave the results to NMFS and over turned the government and you still fish for fluke.

All of the above was done without the INTERNET except for telling when the meetings are. the internet has caused people to lose there social skills and communicating skills.

Anything you give up you never get back,

later

I didn't know all you were involved in until I read that finchaser. It is a personal issue for me as I have many good memories there. A walkway to fish from from the new bridge will not be the same. From your comments it seemed like you really didn't give a rat's ***. Allot of people only don't even know you can fish there they just see it zoom by when going down to cape may. Some of life's great treasures are those little out of the way places that noone knows about. Please accept my apologies I was only being defensive about a place I have known since I was a kid.

seamonkey
03-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Thanks for your help.

I C&P this from the thread and am sending it out to my contact list. Thank you finchaser, hopefully no hard feelings.:HappyWave:

finchaser
03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
I C&P this from the thread and am sending it out to my contact list. Thank you finchaser, hopefully no hard feelings.:HappyWave:

Hard feelings about what????????????

finchaser
03-18-2013, 06:46 PM
I didn't know all you were involved in until I read that finchaser. It is a personal issue for me as I have many good memories there. A walkway to fish from from the new bridge will not be the same. From your comments it seemed like you really didn't give a rat's ***. Allot of people only don't even know you can fish there they just see it zoom by when going down to cape may. Some of life's great treasures are those little out of the way places that noone knows about. Please accept my apologies I was only being defensive about a place I have known since I was a kid.

It's all good now thanks to DS and his spot burning you will have plenty of company. I've sent the the part you C&P to 4 fishing clubs that have over 500 members between them and personally asked for help .Trust me when it comes to fishing and access I give a rat's a_s was just trying to make people understand short and simply gets the job done. 300 singatures in 3 months was not going to get noticed.

seamonkey
03-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Hard feelings about what????????????

From your comments it seemed like you really didn't give a rat's ***.

.Trust me when it comes to fishing and access I give a rat's a_s

that, thanks for clearing that up.:HappyWave:

seamonkey
03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
It's all good now thanks to DS and his spot burning you will have plenty of company. .
I think that power plant is already burned big time finchaser. Guys calling themselves the urban anglers on facebook. They were fishing illegally all winter there. Then 30 minutes after the season opened on mar 1 they ALL HAD KEEPERS TO 20 LBS???????? :huh: :don't know why: 3 fish to 20 lbs in 30 minutes? No way that is even remotely possible. They were at the shop in absecon by 1:30 am that night. They caught the fish illegally before the season opened and then brougt them down to absecon. You should see there videos on facebook. Every time they fish they burn the hell out of that place. Since those toolbags starte fishing there they have taken the term spot burning to the next level. It really bugs me that my buds were trying to win the tourney legitimately and these douches were cheating. Most arrogant bunch of cheaters I ever heard of.

finchaser
03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I meant your spot is burned you will have company I commented on the face book thing in the other thread you posted

captnemo
03-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Something to think about - you said half the island is a wildlife sanctuary. Maybe the enviros want it to be completely off limits. If that is true you may not get your wish. I hope you do win. These groups are sneaky and have a lot of lobbyists and alliances. FYI

finchaser
03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
So true^^^ no one wants to believe they want to eliminate the Recreational sector

seamonkey
03-22-2013, 10:56 AM
I think if the peta and environmental people had there way none of us would fish!

bababooey
03-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Something to think about - you said half the island is a wildlife sanctuary. Maybe the enviros want it to be completely off limits. If that is true you may not get your wish. I hope you do win. These groups are sneaky and have a lot of lobbyists and alliances. FYI

I agree with the Capt. The enviros like to do things behind closed doors. Very sneaky.

DarkSkies
03-28-2013, 04:09 PM
I was there last night, after the meeting.
Walked the land, and the whole flat bridge out to the drawbridge.......

IMO the limited access that has been proposed adjacent to the walking lane on the new bridge, is not fishing access.
I don't have all the stats on it....as to the exact height of the new platform.

1. I will tell you that the proposed Turnpike Authority/DOT fishing access, when you are faced with hauling a fish up to a position 40 to 70 feet above the water,
2. Does not work for most fishermen, and results in higher fish mortality.
3. It will not be the same as what is asked for -- capping off the remaining part of the bridge 9after demolition of the rest) and keeping fishing access as is.
4. Walking that bridge and land convinced me of it more so than I had thought. It is not the same access, and should not be acceptable to any one who fishes from land out there.

Also, I am not an engineer, but for those who have any safety concerns, we are addressing that as well.
With the plans already in place coming $50 million under budget, there is a lot of wiggle room to give the land based fishermen a small area of access, without spending a lot of money.

ledhead36
04-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Well Dark looks like you finally got some more publicity. Good job and keep up the good work! :clapping::clapping:

Help save Drag Island access

By Al Ristori (http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/posts.html)The Star-Ledger
Follow on Twitter (http://--none/)
on April 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM, updated April 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Access for angling is a problem throughout the state, and there's yet another threat developing to traditional access in South Jersey. Fishermen there need help in preventing the demolishing of a bridge. Their explantion follows:
The Drag Island Access Preservation Association (DIAPA), recently founded by several local interested citizens and fishermen, is a group formed and determined to fight for continued foot access to Drag Island located at the base of the Garden State Parkway and Beesley’s Point bridges in Somers Point. The State of New Jersey plans to build a new southbound Parkway bridge and demolish the Beesley’s Point Bridge in its entirety, leaving no access to Drag Island for fishermen, crabbers, folks who like to jog or walk, and nature lovers. Access has been in existence to Drag Island for 85 years since the Beesley’s Point bridge opened in 1928.

The DEP has issued permits for this project to the New Jersey Turnpike Authority. The New Jersey Coastal Rules and Regulations, Title 7, Page 204 and 205 in the New Jersey Administrative Code, specifically provide for access to be maintained involving a project of this scope. However, the plans for the project call for no foot access from the new bridge and with the complete demolishment of the Beesley’s Point bridge scheduled, all foot access to Drag Island will be forever taken away, thus violating the DEP’s own rules.

DIAPA seeks to maintain foot access by keeping opened the flat bridge that services Drag Island from Somers Point. Based on the DEP rules and the Public Trust Doctrine, the Association believes that the State has the legal responsibility to maintain access and by keeping this part of the bridge opened, the Parkway project is unaffected. The Association also has fought for the creation of a fishing pier out of the old Beesley’s Point bridge , but only for the portion of the bridge facing South from Drag Island.

If you are interested in helping save access, DIAPA has an online petition available on both the StripersAndAnglers and Bassbarn websites.. More support is necessary to make an impact. If access to this area is taken away, the public will suffer yet another example of progress taking priority over the rights of citizens. Make your voice heard and contact the DEP, the Turnpike Authority and your local politicians and demand that access be provided to Drag Island like it has for the past 85 years.

To help save this access, Go to :
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-drag-island-access/

http://www.nj.com/shore/blogs/fishing/index.ssf/2013/04/help_save_drag_island_access.html

(and for the record, DS I did sign the petition. We could lose the same access in the bay. We already lost the jetty at the municipal harbor in Highlands. Every year there is some problem or other when the fishermen descend on Raritan Bay for the Spring. good job, brother! :clapping:)

basshunter
04-12-2013, 05:38 AM
Thanks for fighting for the fishermen dark skies!

albiealert
04-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Nice going keep up the good work. Fishing in Ct is pretty bad as far as access goes. I can only fish rivers, state parks, and marina areas in some harbors. As for fishing the shoreline there are so many streets that are gated or closed off it is not funny. Don't let that happen to you. I signed the petition too.

bababooey
04-12-2013, 06:14 AM
DS you should start a big PR firm. What were you on, a statewide publicity campaign or something?:scared:
You also ended up in the Asbury Park Press. They gave your group a mention. Well done, now hopefully you guys will see some results from this. Nice job, Rich! :clapping: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Group seeks to preserve Drag Island access

http://www.app.com/article/20130412/NJSPORTS06/304120018/Group-seeks-preserve-Drag-Island-access
Group seeks to preserve Drag Island access

Apr. 11, 2013 4:31 PM |

Written by
Staff Report

A fight has been brewing over a small island at the end of the Garden State Parkway.
The Drag Island Access Preservation Association (DIAPA), is a group formed to fight for continued foot access to Drag Island, located at the base of the Garden State Parkway and Beesley’s Point Bridge in Somers Point.
The State of New Jersey plans to build a new southbound Parkway bridge and demolish the Beesley’s Point Bridge, leaving no access to Drag Island for fishermen, crabbers, jogggers and walkers. Access has been in existence to Drag Island for 85 years since the Beesley’s Point Bridge opened in 1928.

According to Rich Erickson, a member of DAIPA, the DEP is in violation of its own rules. The DEP has issued permits for this project to the New Jersey Turnpike Authority, but according to the New Jersey Coastal Rules and Regulations in the New Jersey Administrative Code, access has to be maintained involving a project of this scope. However, the plans for the project call for no foot access from the new bridge, and with the complete demolishment of the Beesley’s Point Bridge scheduled, all foot access to Drag Island will be taken away.

DIAPA seeks to maintain foot access by keeping opened the flat bridge that services Drag Island from Somers Point. Based on the DEP rules and the Public Trust Doctrine, the Association believes that the state has the legal responsibility to maintain access.
The construction of the new bridge is schedule for June.

DIAPA has an online petition available on both the StripersAndAnglers and Bassbarn websites.
To sign the petition, go to www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-drag-island-access/ (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-drag-island-access/)

cowherder
04-12-2013, 07:27 AM
:clapping::clapping: Nice going Rich great job hope you guys win!

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Thank you very much for the kind words, people.
I want to stress that I am only a part of this group. It really is about the group's effort and all fishermen fighting together to keep this access.

There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes,
It has been hectic and taken up a lot of our time. Some have pronounced the issue as dead. With the apathy I have seen out there, Debbie Downers and Negative Nellies have come out of the woodwork to proclaim that this issue is over and the access is already lost.

I assure you folks out there that couldn't be further from the truth. There are quite a few still pushing, making phone calls, and working the political connections that we have, to try for a peaceful resolution of this without going to court.

We are all committed to seeing a positive resolution for the fishermen here, and we will not give up.

Beyond that, I want to thank each and every person who has gotten involved.
1. Signing the petition is a fantastic way to show you care about fishermen access.
Noticed some are signing anonymously, so if your privacy is a concern, that is an option as well.......

Thanks for any support you can give. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

2. Taking the time to make a phone call to the Governors office is even better.

Please take the time to call the Governor and tell him how you feel about losing access to our water. The Governor's office can be reached at
609-777-2500
or

609-292-6000

Without the support of each and every person out there, this movement would not have been possible from the start.

We have a gov't that is supposed to be of the people, by the people, and for the people.
Unfortunately, that doesn't happen, unless people from all walks of life are willing to get involved and voice their opinions.

One person cannot do much by themselves., but together as a group, we are strong.
I sincerely thank all the folks who are able to see that, and see the Future Access implications beyond Drag Island.
Give yourselves a pat on the back, you deserve it! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Rack and Fin Radio Show - with Tom Pagliaroli
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/973espn.com/files/2011/11/rack-fin.jpg?w=146&h=146&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89 (http://973espn.com/show/rack-n-fin-radio-with-tom-p/)Rack & Fin Radio (http://973espn.com/show/rack-n-fin-radio-with-tom-p/)

Hosted By Rack & Fin Radio With Tom P. (http://973espn.com/author/tomp/)
Atlantic City’s ONLY local hunting and fishing show! Every Saturday morning, Tom P. brings you one full hour of the latest local hunting and fishing news, insider tips, techniques, and more. It’s everything you need to make your outdoor plans a success!

This is what someone had to say about Tom Pagliaroli:
Frank Jack Fiamingo (http://www.facebook.com/frank.fiamingo) ยท Top Commenter Another terrific show, Tom P. Any fisherman, hunter or sportsman who is not listening to your program is missing a *LOT*! I am telling everyone I know about your show and how you are promoting the rights of fishermen, hunters and sportsmen. Keep on "TEARIN UP THE AIRWAVES", Tom

Topic:
DIAPA Members discuss Fishermen Access at Drag Island

When:
Saturday April 13
8:00 AM

How to hear it?
1. Tune in your radio
97.3 FM Radio ESPN - available to most South Jersey Residents, and some Central Jersey residents as well depending on the reception.

2. Listen Online:
Listen Live....
http://973espn.com/listen-live/popup/

Mobile App...Listen with your I-phone or Android....
http://973espn.com/mobile/

Thanks for reading, folks!

jigfreak
04-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Nice going ds will listen to it tomorrow.

clamchucker
04-12-2013, 02:10 PM
dark skies. Do not let the negativity discourage you. There are often different agendas behind these things. Good job and good luck to you all.

VSdreams
04-12-2013, 02:12 PM
I already signed the petition. Hope this gets you some more.

storminsteve
04-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Great job Rich! I will try to pick it up through that internet link tomorrow. i know you're a maniac dude especially when it comes to fishing. Give em hell and don't give up.

seamonkey
04-13-2013, 10:46 AM
:clapping::clapping:I want to thank you for the hard work dark. I thought all you guys did a great job on the interview. Bucktail Willie is a character! and Tom P was pretty funny he always is. He said he is the pro at catching small fish lol. Keep it up and I will keep calling the governor again too!

cowherder
04-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Keep up the good work all you guys! I got some of my family to sign and now it is over 500!

BassBuddah
04-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Well done Rich. Got your e-mail and will try to rally some of the LI troops.

seamonkey
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
They are talking about access again in Al Ristori's column. I will be calling tomorrow every hour I will try to sneak away and make a call. Good job guys!

Here it is:

http://www.nj.com/shore/blogs/fishing/index.ssf/2013/04/northwester_made_for_tough_fis.html

By Al Ristori (http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/posts.html)The Star-Ledger
Follow on Twitter (http://--none/)
on April 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM, updated April 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM

" The fight to stop destruction of the Beesley's Point Bridge that would stop access to Drag Island goes to the Governor's Office on Monday as activists place calls in an effort to stop the bridge disposal. They urge anglers throughout the state to help in that effort to protect access."

jonthepain
04-15-2013, 11:46 AM
signed it today.

keep up the good work, Rich

finchaser
04-15-2013, 08:47 PM
This is good practice for DS he may try to save a small country next :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
This is good practice for DS he may try to save a small country next :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words ya grouchy basstid....:moon: :kiss: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Just a visual update for you folks who don't live near Drag Island and don't get to see what's happening....

Pebbles and I went to Wildwood yesterday...
On the way down we got a chance for a quick glance of what's been going on down there....
Answer...nothing much,,,but they are not tearing it down in secret, as some speculated...:kooky:

It looked like there was one giant crane near the flat bridge, and some other construction vehicles....
From the quick glance I took it appeared they are starting to shore up and reinforce some of the bulkheading along the sides....
I would have taken a pic but we wanted to make it to the concert on time...
Will try to grab some shots the next time I'm down there....

Thanks to all who have helped to make the saving of Drag Island a reality....:thumbsup: :HappyWave: