PDA

View Full Version : advice about split rings?

baitstealer
03-09-2013, 01:52 AM
I was trying to learn how everyone figures out when to use them on your plugs. does it change the action and are there plugs you should not use them with? thanks

dogfish
03-09-2013, 02:32 AM
I don't use them for pencil poppers because you want the action to be directly related to your popping of the plug.

finchaser
03-09-2013, 04:54 AM
Depends on plug I usually fish them how they come but always replace all split rings that are not heavy duty. Swimming plugs usually need the ring the extra length keeps snap from hanging up on the lip or swim plate and gives plug better side to side action.. Ring has to be used on some plugs or you can't get the clip on. Pencils have big enough wire eyes and don't need a ring. I always remove hooks where the eye of hook is cut to attach hooks to plug. I use a #4 or #5 heavy duty ring and a short shank treble hook(VMC-9626S in a 4x) which gives hook the same hang distance not to change action of the plug. Hope this helps you.

Rosco Stainless Steel Extra Heavy Duty Split Rings

Used by the surf fishermen to replace split rings, 50% stronger than standard split rings.

Size

Wire Diam (in.)

Test (Lbs)

O.D. (in.)

I.D. (in.)

Thickness (in.)

2H

3H

4H

5H

5.5H

6H

6.5H

stripercrazy
03-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Wow awesome answer finchaser. Bet you don't lose many fish due to bad split rings.

storminsteve
03-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Cool info finchaser thanks for sharing. The brand of split ring would you recommend wolverine or another?

madcaster
03-10-2013, 12:27 AM
I use them just to be able to remove the hooks when I need to . I remove all my belly trebles when blue fishing.

finchaser
03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
I use the Rosco above not really a wolverine fan as they are too wide to fit in some hook and plug eyes. I have also had leader foul in them on tuna plugs because of how easy they separate that they are triple but thinner wire. Just my.02 cents

baitstealer
03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Great info there finchaser thank you for sharing that. thanks to everyone else too.

surfstix1963
03-11-2013, 01:43 PM
I use the Rosco brand also 4,5,6 heavy I've had more hook failure with open eyes then with splitring failure.Actually I've never had a splitring failure but they should be checked periodically and changed when needed.Fin covered the rest in the post above.The one other problem is when 3 hooks are on a plug and they foul on the cast with each other, sometimes a smaller hook in the rear will solve the problem or just don't use the rear hook on most occasions it will not change the swimming action dramatically.

seamonkey
07-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Jbarbosa was talking about the rasco rings opening up. Have also seen the rosco name used. Am curious if one of these is a knock off of the other? How could there be 2 split ring brands with such similar names or is one a typo and mis spelling.
Also could one of these be counterfeit if they are breaking off that quickly? thanks

J Barbosa
07-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Jbarbosa was talking about the rasco rings opening up. Have also seen the rosco name used. Am curious if one of these is a knock off of the other? How could there be 2 split ring brands with such similar names or is one a typo and mis spelling.
Also could one of these be counterfeit if they are breaking off that quickly? thanks

Seamonkey,

They are not breaking off easily; I believe im applying to much drag pressure and ill have to back off a little or get a larger size.

I don't know what the difference between Rasco Vs Rosco is. When I searched other forums a few years back the consensus was order the Wolverines, owners, or Rasco (but not Rosco). I also remember they said to only buy the Rascos with a H model for Heavy. The wolverines are hated by some and loved by others. I saw one open up a few years back and don't like how they sit on most hook hangers so they are out for me. The owners are pricy and I haven't tried one yet.

For the record I ordered my Rasco rings from the Saltwater Edge.

finchaser
07-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Here is the latest ROSCO spec sheet http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEUQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roscoinc.com%2Ffishing-tackle%2Fproduct-detail%2Famerican-made-stainless-steel-split-ring&ei=YVvlUZShKoegrAG4j4CgDQ&usg=AFQjCNF24VZ-hy1ym_Qnl_LZB_tFylQmmg&sig2=MpWNOe1v-EM9eL3cD1fbig

finchaser
07-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Here is a Rasco spec sheet they are inferior in strength compared to Rosco http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rascorings.com%2F&ei=-lvlUa2SDJGDrQHmyIDYAQ&usg=AFQjCNEKvz2zEG0q5VHqOv4vV88xs1IieQ&sig2=EehEiM6CusBeThN7Xxl34w

J Barbosa
07-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Finchaser,

there isn't much difference between the ratings and that is if we trust the manufacturers rating to begin with. If the rings I got we're truly 86lbs or even 60lbs strong I doubt I could bust them open.

--------------------------------------

The president of Rasco Rings contacted me yesterday night after reading my report on another website. He said this is the first incident he has heard about in three years and asked if I would send him what's left of the batch of split rings. He is in return sending me a bunch of different "H" heavy sizes to try.

I thought that was incredibly great customer service for a manufacturer to reach out to a small customer. From what I can tell they appear to be a great and truly all American manufacturer.

Who know what could have happened...for all we know some distrubutor or retailer could have accidentally or intentionally mixed in inferior rings into the package or could have screwed up when packaging the rings into smaller packs.

I am looking forward to what he has to say about the rings I send him as I must have a few hundred installed on some of the plugs I own.

I am going to keep a few of the current rings I have to compare to the new ones he sends me. I think linking them together and then looping some mono around and pulling until something fails is the best way to test them.

I would also like to try this comparison against other manufacturers. If anyone wants to send me a few rings in different sizes from your preferred manufacturer I will gladly test them against the new batch.

finchaser
07-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Could be anything all I know is I've never had a Rosco failure but have heard of RASCO failures

surfstix1963
07-17-2013, 01:03 PM
I've never had a failure with the Rosco split rings either,on the other hand I've had Wolverines stay sprung open just putting them on with split ring pliers.

hookset
10-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Like the roscos as well.