PDA

View Full Version : Speedy's Plugs and the fish they catch......

DarkSkies
03-11-2013, 09:26 AM
After stopping for a visit at Speedy's Castle after Asbury yesterday......
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7752-A-visit-to-Speedy-s-Castle (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7752-A-visit-to-Speedy-s-Castle&highlight=speedy's+castle)

A few things occurred to me.......

1. He makes some awesome plugs.
2. He only makes a few at a time.
3. Getting a plug from his is harder than getting a straight answer from a politician, harder than climbing to the top of Mt Everest....:laugh:
4. With not many of his plugs in the hands of surf guys, most don't know how nice they are....
5. Since Speedy would rather hunt than fish....it's possible he will live his whole life, without folks out there ever knowing about his work....
6. Him being a dillydock probably ensures that, too. :moon: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
I realized that most fishermen out there, only get stimulated to think about a plug as "proven fish catcher"...when they are hanging in the mouth of a fish....:learn:

I'm posting this for anyone who is lucky enough to have one of his plugs, and wants to post pics of fish they got on them.

DarkSkies
03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I did "ho" a nice swimmer from him yesterday.....but Pebbles saw it and said she wanted it......
Since we do extraordinary things for the women in our lives,.....:laugh: I gave it to her......reluctantly.....:rolleyes:

I'll post the pics when I get a chance.....
Within the next few weeks I'll post a pic of a fish if she catches one on that plug....
Or I'll swipe it from her when she's sleeping, and try to get out there and hang a fish on it.....:fishing:

Anyone else who catches fish on his swimmers,,,,feel free to post the pics......:thumbsup:

storminsteve
03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Dark not fair you start a thread and no pics at all? Cough some up, dude!

speedy
03-11-2013, 07:54 PM
here you go yes dark is slow lmao :moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::beatin::beati n::beatin::beatin::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::m oon::ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO:ROFLMAO
his plug is white with gitter same plug

speedy
03-11-2013, 10:49 PM
After stopping for a visit at Speedy's Castle after Asbury yesterday......
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7752-A-visit-to-Speedy-s-Castle (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7752-A-visit-to-Speedy-s-Castle&highlight=speedy's+castle)

A few things occurred to me.......

1. He makes some awesome plugs.
2. He only makes a few at a time.
3. Getting a plug from his is harder than getting a straight answer from a politician, harder than climbing to the top of Mt Everest....:laugh:
4. With not many of his plugs in the hands of surf guys, most don't know how nice they are....
5. Since Speedy would rather hunt than fish....it's possible he will live his whole life, without folks out there ever knowing about his work....
6. Him being a dillydock probably ensures that, too. :moon: :HappyWave:I GOT UR DILLYDOCK TWINKY BOY
there are a lot of my plugs out there bro!!!!!!!! :kicknuts::kicknuts:

DarkSkies
03-12-2013, 08:08 AM
^ I knew I could get ya riled up with those words....:laugh:...hopefully you will actually fish this year.....I want to bring you and your sons up to the bay when the bluefish come in.......stay tuned......:HappyWave:

finchaser
03-12-2013, 12:44 PM
So your saying DS is alittle light in the boots:moon: so to speak interesting:ROFLMAO

speedy
03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
So your saying DS is alittle light in the boots:moon: so to speak interesting:ROFLMAOi think so lmao :scared::scared::kicknuts::ROFLMAO

williehookem
03-12-2013, 07:46 PM
wow tough crowd here.

cowherder
03-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm sorry I think you guys are a little harsh on him. He does help a lot of people you know.

finchaser
03-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Speedy is helpful

surfstix1963
03-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Speedy is a good guy I think I have one or two of his plugs well maybe 3 or 4.

DarkSkies
03-13-2013, 08:23 AM
wow tough crowd here.

Speedy is helpful

No worries Willie.....Fin promised to say something nice about me at my funeral....:moon: :laugh:

Cowherder, it's all good...just ball busting..some of these guys really need to fish...and Speedy, since he never fishes anymore, is losing his mind....poor, poor Speedy.....:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Here are partial pics of a plug he gave me on Sunday...which has since been claimed by Pebbles....;)...I will steal it back from her one niight if she won't come out there with me to fish it.......:laugh:

Notice the detail on the eye alone....nice tough coat of epoxy....he may be a nutcase, :kooky: :HappyWave: but his fanaticism about detail is apparent here....:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
03-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Here's one nice fish Speedy actually caught,....back when he used to fish.....:laugh: :HappyWave:
It's a nice fish..but from 2010...:wow:...would like to see him get out fishing more.....:)

In the meantime, it's up to those of us who have his plugs,,,,to go out and hang some fish on them.....:cool:

speedy
03-13-2013, 02:23 PM
and what about this one not bad its called i work and have a family ...

finchaser
03-13-2013, 03:21 PM
and what about this one not bad its called i work and have a family ...

Disown them and fish nothing more important than catching a fish and going on line with it. Also you lack the ability to tell a good story so get rid of your dog too so you have time. Sell your house live in your car near the action and a porto jon lets get with the program.;):HappyWave:

storminsteve
03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Disown them and fish nothing more important than catching a fish and going on line with it. Also you lack the ability to tell a good story so get rid of your dog too so you have time. Sell your house live in your car near the action and a porto jon lets get with the program.;):HappyWave:

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Dynomite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4gjdF45inPA

storminsteve
03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Sell your house live in your car near the action and a porto jon lets get with the program.;):HappyWave:

:clapping: Dark giving a motivational speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

DarkSkies
05-11-2013, 09:40 PM
5-10-13 PM trip
3 bass to 12# last night. 2 were legal, all released.
Also a few bluefish to 5#.

**A friend living several hours away was supposed to come out and fish but he never made it up here.

Had to fish all night for them. 7 hour Monty Mini Marathon. :HappyWave:
Fished through the rain, taking a 1/2 hour break as it was most intense and the lightning got a little hairy. :scared:
There was an eerie calm out there last niight between the rain...

I first debated on when and where because it was Fri, thought it would be too crowded. Picked a popular bay bluefish spot as I was counting on there being less night crowds. By the time I got out there it was deserted.

The first fish were a few bluefish, very aggressive on small plugs.
As the tide changed the bunker started loading into that cove, with bass and bluefish blowing up on them.
At that point it became very difficult for me to catch bass on artificials...went through almost everything in the bag, very little activity.
Knowing that when that happens, you will be hooked up instantly if you only were to toss a snagged bunker, chunk, or head, it was a little depressing, and humbling. My plugs were constantly bumping bunker and they only wanted the real thing.

I kept at it and changed my position relative to how the schools were moving.
Hours of blind casting. All bass fell to big swimmers. Missed quite a few as well. The bass were just not as aggressive on artificials as the bluefish, but I kept at it.
Last fish of the night was the short fish, caught on Speedy's swimmer. :drool:

Rarely take pics of short fish any more. I wanted to show folks the plug. and it was kind of nice to catch it on one of Speedy's plugs. :HappyWave:
If you look at the plug pic you can see it is dressed with a Surfstix teaser as well. :HappyWave:

Thanks for the joint effort, guys. Yep, your stuff does work. :thumbsup:

** BTW the short fish hit the hardest.

This is what frustrates me when I miss a bump out there at night. Those have been the largest fish for me, and generally with the colder water bite we have had on artificials, once you miss that fish, it's my experience that it rarely comes back, You sit there kicking yourself at what could have been. With the action on artificials coming so few and far between, you have to resolve to cast hundreds of times more for the next adrenalin rush.

Worked a demanding job racing against a deadline that day. By the end of the night I was like a punch drunk fighter, staggering in my steps. Barely made it to my car. Slept in my car for 4 hours.

When I got up, I tried searching for some daytime artificial action for bluefish so I could call Pebbles down, but it seems for that area the best bite is end of day and in the dark. The cold wind was also honking from the S by then at a steady 20mph. Oh well, I tried, Pebbles. :kiss:

storminsteve
05-11-2013, 11:40 PM
nice!

basshunter
05-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Cool looking plug dude! like the biohazard insignia too

Mike O
05-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Fished SH early this morning. Got 1 bluefish on a popper speedy made for me. Thanks Todd. Actually it hit my teaser, but the popper was what brought the fish to my teaser. On a bad note, the insert on the large guide fell out and broke in half on my St. Croix rod. What a bummer. Sent it back already. I hope they do the right thing, that rod is only 3 years old. It cost me plenty just to ship it back and I think I will be paying for the shipping back to me! Not such a good warranty policy. Just have to use my old Daiwa rods til I get it back.

DarkSkies
06-16-2013, 01:27 PM
June 16 AM trip
5 hour Monty Mini Marathon

Got the blues....
Some bluefish activity in the dark, swimmers.
As opposed to the day before they would not hit top water....tried 3 separate times during the trip.
Best action on swimmers....One of the "larger" bluefish was caught on speedy's white swimmer...

The blues that morning were so small they were not pic worthy...half the size of the blues the day before

What was interesting was how picky and sluggish they were....light hits, if you missed it they would not come back....
I missed so many fish it was embarassing. :(

When the plug bite died they hit metal at varying retrieves until slack tide. Bite was dead after that.

Also hooked and landed 2 cownose rays, 8-10#...both on metal.

Total:
14 blues to 3#.
2 cownose rays.