PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to know why,,,,,

Rip-Plugger
03-23-2013, 03:11 AM
there was a time that I fished with small lures,bombers,rebels and most lures were 6 inches at the most.
I then discovered that using larger lures caught me better fish.
since then I have been doing it that way the past few seasons and cashing in very well.
my question to all here is why do so many folks fish small?,,,never mind the idea that if there are no bunkers around the fish won't bite a large lure,they sure will.
I have proven that to myself,i just don't get it.
Malibu Kenny and I had a discussion about this point and in the past he didn't agree with me on it.I simply told him to look back and see how I did and he did during his vaca here,he has finally come around and now agrees with me,he is also stepping up into a large stick to sling big wood with.there was no conflict with it as he had no choice,he saw what went down the last few seasons and how well i did on wood now,he agrees
so,lets talk about it,,,,,

R-P:naughty:

jigfreak
03-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Your location says you live in ct. I'm willing to bet there are stripers in the rivers there all year. At least thats what I have read. Here in NJ the rivers and bays clear out for the winter. They are still there, but they go deep in the channels or concentrate around the power plants. Most of the bigger bass leave. Maybe that's one reason. Another thing is the rivers here only hold bunker and herring for a part of the season. Bunkerr may be in the rivers for 2 months, herring for a month. All short windows when I catch bass on big plugs. not meaning to disagree with you, that is how it is down here.

finchaser
03-23-2013, 11:48 AM
lot of boys here in jersey:HappyWave:plus we respect trees believe it or not it's the garden state:)

Rip-Plugger
03-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Your location says you live in ct. I'm willing to bet there are stripers in the rivers there all year. At least thats what I have read. Here in NJ the rivers and bays clear out for the winter. They are still there, but they go deep in the channels or concentrate around the power plants. Most of the bigger bass leave. Maybe that's one reason. Another thing is the rivers here only hold bunker and herring for a part of the season. Bunkerr may be in the rivers for 2 months, herring for a month. All short windows when I catch bass on big plugs. not meaning to disagree with you, that is how it is down here.

yes they indeed do stay all season long.they are here now.
I didn't think that it was different down your way,i figured they wintered over in all areas they frequent during the season,never thought of or knew that.
they are at the power plant in housatonic now and they are catching some.

R-P

Rip-Plugger
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
lot of boys here in jersey:HappyWave:plus we respect trees believe it or not it's the garden state:)

now thats a good one,,,fin,,so what do you make plugs from?,,,not plastic,,,,,,

R-P

finchaser
03-23-2013, 03:38 PM
I build rods and make everything else for fishing except plugs. I use 90% plastic lures and jig heads with rubber and smilin bills

Rip-Plugger
03-23-2013, 07:29 PM
I build rods and make everything else for fishing except plugs. I use 90% plastic lures and jig heads with rubber and smilin bills

ahh,I didn't know you build rods,I do that also but, not in a long,long time.

R-P

finchaser
03-23-2013, 07:53 PM
been building rods since 1973

Rip-Plugger
03-23-2013, 08:00 PM

oh,I see,I think I built my first rod in 1979 or so,fenwick trout rods with a few surf rods in there too but, mostly freshwater rods.
R-P

Monty
03-23-2013, 08:04 PM
oh,I see,I think I built my first rod in 1979 or so,fenwick trout rods with a few surf rods in there too but, mostly freshwater rods.
R-P
:HappyWave:
Also built some fly fishing rods, fiberglass I think back around 1970 with my father.

storminsteve
03-24-2013, 11:20 AM
40 years is a long time to be building. I think dark said a company got you to build a rod and copied it for mass production. That must be a boost knowing that they had enough confidence in you to stage a whole line based on one of your rods.

storminsteve
03-24-2013, 11:24 AM
yes they indeed do stay all season long.they are here now.
I didn't think that it was different down your way,i figured they wintered over in all areas they frequent during the season,never thought of or knew that.
they are at the power plant in housatonic now and they are catching some.

R-P

You are lucky to have all the rivers you have in Ct. I just did a google search today and it seems you have a big river almost every 25 miles along your border with the long island sound. If the fishing isnt good in one river you can always drive to the next one. We have rivers too but they are much more spread out. It could a 24 hour day to get from one of nj to another to fish all of them. The crazy thing about a lot of our rivers is a lot of the action dies in the winter except for catfish. Small schoolies too but nothing like I have read or heard about where you live. I think there is a thread here on it. One river where you can catch hundreds of fish a day in the middle of winter. It's also interesting you don't have a closed season up there? What was the most fish you ever got in one day up there in the winter?

Rip-Plugger
03-24-2013, 05:59 PM
40 years is a long time to be building. I think dark said a company got you to build a rod and copied it for mass production. That must be a boost knowing that they had enough confidence in you to stage a whole line based on one of your rods.

yes it was.I am happy with the outcome too.
it actually was more of an experiment and it was something I didn't think would play/pan out but,it did very well.
the whole line was 1 blank with the larger surf sticks being a super sized version of the original 8.5 foot salmon rod.
it is still doing well now.
it turned out to be a great idea,glad of that.

R-P

Rip-Plugger
03-24-2013, 06:06 PM
You are lucky to have all the rivers you have in Ct. I just did a google search today and it seems you have a big river almost every 25 miles along your border with the long island sound. If the fishing isnt good in one river you can always drive to the next one. We have rivers too but they are much more spread out. It could a 24 hour day to get from one of nj to another to fish all of them. The crazy thing about a lot of our rivers is a lot of the action dies in the winter except for catfish. Small schoolies too but nothing like I have read or heard about where you live. I think there is a thread here on it. One river where you can catch hundreds of fish a day in the middle of winter. It's also interesting you don't have a closed season up there? What was the most fish you ever got in one day up there in the winter?

well the best river is the thames river,it holds thousands of bass in winter almost the whole length.
the channels have bass stacked up 40 feet thick in places.
the housatonic also is a great river and some fish stay all year even going up to the dam and bashing the alewives,shad and herring and at times bunkers have been driven up there.
mystic river is another one along with niantic.one never knows how big or what will hit you in that river,i once saw a guy throwing a creek chubb popper maybe the 6 inch one and he gets slammed by a big LMB that had to be 7-8 lbs.
same thing at the dam on the housy.
sawgatuck river also has good fishing but, only when bait is thick there.

R-P

buckethead
03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
^^ Ripplugger it must be fantastic to have all those rivers so close by.

storminsteve
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM

yes it was.I am happy with the outcome too.
it actually was more of an experiment and it was something I didn't think would play/pan out but,it did very well.
the whole line was 1 blank with the larger surf sticks being a super sized version of the original 8.5 foot salmon rod.
it is still doing well now.
it turned out to be a great idea,glad of that.

R-P

sorry rip-plugger I didn't know you have been building rods for 40 years.
I meant to ask finchaser this question, but thanks for the answer you gave.:HappyWave:

finchaser wondering what your response would be?

Rip-Plugger
03-25-2013, 05:10 PM
sorry rip-plugger I didn't know you have been building rods for 40 years.
I meant to ask finchaser this question, but thanks for the answer you gave.:HappyWave:

finchaser wondering what your response would be?

oh no steve,not me,fin has been doing it for 40 years,i started doing some in in 1979 but, they were sweetwater rods for trout.5 foot fenwick glass rods.i did up a few for saltwater too but,that was a long time ago.
the last rod i did was a rebuild of my old white lamiglass surf stick,it was gosh,,,maybe 20-25year ago now.

R-P

seamonkey
04-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Match the hatch?