View Full Version : Plugs blind or with eyes?

Monty
03-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Do you think it makes a difference fishing plugs with or without eyes?

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_3_23_LS3.jpg

finchaser
03-23-2013, 07:48 PM
IMO yes I use stick on eyes on jig heads too. Plus plugs with no eyes bang into things causing them to snag easier.
All kidding aside it is a know fact predators attack the eye since they swallow head first to avoid spins on the dorsal fin sticking them in the throat. Red-fish have a spot on there tail to confuse predators and avoid being swallowed a Nat Geo fact.

Rip-Plugger
03-23-2013, 08:04 PM
I agree with fin,eyes are what we look at when we turn to face someone so why not the fish keying in on the eyes.

R-P

Monty
03-23-2013, 08:09 PM
IMO yes I use stick on eyes on jig heads too. Plus plugs with no eyes bang into things causing them to snag easier.
All kidding aside it is a know fact predators attack the eye since they swallow head first to avoid spins on the dorsal fin sticking them in the throat. Red-fish have a spot on there tail to confuse predators and avoid being swallowed a Nat Geo fact.

I agree with fin,eyes are what we look at when we turn to face someone so why not the fish keying in on the eyes.
R-P
Agree with you both (would be silly to disagree with you guys). Lots of popular plug builders build blind plugs....Beachmasters for example. What does that say about them, gimmick to sell a inferior plug?

http://rocksimpson.com/images/Horse_Bunker2.jpg

madcaster
03-23-2013, 11:32 PM
How about differnt color eyes on either side...example:blue one one side and red on the other?

Rip-Plugger
03-24-2013, 12:02 AM
How about differnt color eyes on either side...example:blue one one side and red on the other?

well,maybe it has an ailment like being blind,stinking drunk.
hehe,no seriously,an eye is an eye I say.

R-P

vpass
03-24-2013, 02:02 AM
I agree with Fin, Eyes on a plug gives the bass something to focus on. The bass always goes for the head.

Rip-Plugger
03-24-2013, 03:36 AM
the eye is the focal point.fish will key in on it and use it as a target zone.
I am not saying they will always take a bait head first,the pix show that here.
they have other ways of attacking prey.
it depends on how said prey presents itself to the feeding fish as it comes close.
I have seen bass grab an adult bunker amidships and shift it to head first position the same way a water turkey does,if you have seen one do that,then they scale it.you can see the scales coming out of the flared gills.
then the fish will swallow it.
anyhoo,there is always an exception to the rule,the pix show that clearly.
so,eyes do matter.

R-P

surfstix1963
03-24-2013, 08:31 AM
I think eyes are beneficial with slow moving lures not so much with faster or greatly exaggerated movements (Pencil poppers,poppers)They do complete a plug for our eyes.

storminsteve
03-24-2013, 11:16 AM
well,maybe it has an ailment like being blind,stinking drunk.
hehe,no seriously,an eye is an eye I say.

R-P

the eye is the focal point.fish will key in on it and use it as a target zone.
I am not saying they will always take a bait head first,the pix show that here.
they have other ways of attacking prey.
it depends on how said prey presents itself to the feeding fish as it comes close.
I have seen bass grab an adult bunker amidships and shift it to head first position the same way a water turkey does,if you have seen one do that,then they scale it.you can see the scales coming out of the flared gills.
then the fish will swallow it.
anyhoo,there is always an exception to the rule,the pix show that clearly.
so,eyes do matter.

R-P

:thumbsup:funny and informative at the same time. Its so awesome how a bass goes after its prey and keys on it. Even the tail swipe to stun it is cool. Much different than bluefish

storminsteve
03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
I think eyes are beneficial with slow moving lures not so much with faster or greatly exaggerated movements (Pencil poppers,poppers)They do complete a plug for our eyes.

Smart observation. Do you think this difference also is true for day vs night? I think so.

basshunter
03-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I think they are better with eyes but never really studied it. Weren't there some plugs made at one time called google eyes or goo goo eyes? The eyes were the central feature of the plug?

basshunter
03-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Like that 3rd option monty pretty funny.

madcaster
03-24-2013, 11:44 AM
:bong2:When I make a plug ...it's justs a stick, untill I drill the eyes holes ...than I see the plug:bong2::bong2::naughty:

Rip-Plugger
03-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Smart observation. Do you think this difference also is true for day vs night? I think so.

I agree with stix on this one,with a fast moving plug like a pencil or standard popper the fish are doing more of a reactionary strike than feeding,the action gets them spooled up and they respond with an instinctual reaction hit.
with a swimmer it can also be that too but, I would say it is more of a hunt/stalk/locate/attack type of reaction,or they could find said plug and reject it or lose interest.
just my ideas about it.

R-P

Rip-Plugger
03-24-2013, 06:18 PM
I think they are better with eyes but never really studied it. Weren't there some plugs made at one time called google eyes or goo goo eyes? The eyes were the central feature of the plug?

yes there are,gibbs makes them now,i picked up 2 of them.will see how they do this spring.16752
although the eyes seem smaller than the first ones they are there and should produce.

surfstix1963
03-25-2013, 07:32 AM
I think it is the same day and night all lures are designed to work at different speeds you generally don't fish them any other way especially swimmers(metal lips,bombers etc.) they are notorious for rolling out and not swimming correctly same for darters.The only lures I use differently would be tins and bucktails they work well at different speeds and depths good searching lures.Trying something else never hurts as long as you can keep the plug going as it should.

speedy
03-25-2013, 10:28 AM
MONTY ) eyes a must ima lol

Mike O
03-25-2013, 08:50 PM
:huh:Yeah, how come the one you gave me has no eyes.

speedy
03-26-2013, 08:03 AM
:huh:Yeah, how come the one you gave me has no eyes.its a caster and its an older plug tested not fished and its not a swimmer:learn::laugh:

BassBuddah
03-26-2013, 01:35 PM
I think it also depends on how much night fishing you do. In the blackness of the night I feel it doesnt make that much difference. In daylight or sunrise fishing I would have to agree that it matters.

DarkSkies
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
:huh:Yeah, how come the one you gave me has no eyes.

its a caster and its an older plug tested not fished and its not a swimmer:learn::laugh:

Mike, you should feel honored.....
Only those in Speedy's inner circle get the plugs without the eyes.....
That's because, as Finchaser said somewhere, they become blind and easier to catch fish on.....:laugh:
All the rest of us have to be content to use those ordinary plugs with the eyes....making it harder for us to catch. :rolleyes:...so consider yourself lucky...;) :thumbsup:

speedy
03-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Mike, you should feel honored.....
Only those in Speedy's inner circle get the plugs without the eyes.....
That's because, as Finchaser said somewhere, they become blind and easier to catch fish on.....:laugh:
All the rest of us have to be content to use those ordinary plugs with the eyes....making it harder for us to catch. :rolleyes:...so consider yourself lucky...;) :thumbsup:u both are very lucky...:kicknuts::kicknuts::banghead2:

Mike O
03-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Oh I get it, it only needs eyes if it's a swimmer. I have a jig that is called a "Deadly ****" that even has eyes! Then again I would never consider using it for anything except fishing, especially with that sharp hook!

speedy
03-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Oh I get it, it only needs eyes if it's a swimmer. I have a jig that is called a "Deadly ****" that even has eyes! Then again I would never consider using it for anything except fishing, especially with that sharp hook!U HAVE BIN HANGING AROUND DARK TOO MUCH .....:kooky:....LMAO

surfstix1963
03-28-2013, 06:25 AM
"To each their own" Whatever makes you feel confident.It is more important to learn how to fish a plug properly then to worry about color,eyes,night &day etc.Sometimes we really make our hobby harder,if i had to survive it would be a dressed Hopkins & Kastmaster and bucktails (White&Chartreuse)and a regular popper in white.I would feel pretty confident I could put fish on the beach with those.

DarkSkies
03-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Oh I get it, it only needs eyes if it's a swimmer. I have a jig that is called a "Deadly ****" that even has eyes! Then again I would never consider using it for anything except fishing, especially with that sharp hook!

U HAVE BIN HANGING AROUND DARK TOO MUCH .....:kooky:....LMAO

I'm tellin ya Mike....Speedy considers you one of his "special" friends..;).....none of us get the same generosity you do....You just meet the guy at a meeting one day, he gives ya a plug the next day.....I had to harass him for years to get a plug out of him. :)

He doesn't make too many plugs, getting one from him is like hitting the lottery....:drool:
Tell me Speedy, if I shower more than once a week, could I "ho" more plugs from ya? :laugh: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
03-28-2013, 11:33 AM
"To each their own" Whatever makes you feel confident.....if i had to survive it would be a dressed Hopkins & Kastmaster a bucktails (White&Chartreuse)and a regular popper in white.

The voice of reason to the rescue..:learn:..:thumbsup:......how ya been, ya crabby old basstard? :HappyWave:

finchaser
03-28-2013, 08:30 PM
"To each their own" Whatever makes you feel confident.It is more important to learn how to fish a plug properly then to worry about color,eyes,night &day etc.Sometimes we really make our hobby harder,if i had to survive it would be a dressed Hopkins & Kastmaster a bucktails (White&Chartreuse)and a regular popper in white.I would feel pretty confident I could put fish on the beach with those.

What he^^^^^ said all these exoctic colors,shapes and sizes are to catch fisherman not fish.
50 years ago all we had were black ,white ,yellow and olive 5 to 6 inches plugs. Pencil poppers and plastic weren't even around and we hammmered on the fish. To this day they are still the only colors I use.