PDA

View Full Version : How do you fish this calm water?

Monty
03-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Its spring, Late April/early May.
The water is like in the pic below.
How would you fish the water. First plug/Hogy, etc. out of the bag?
In the dark, then just at false dawn/sunrise.
Focus just on rock piles? Look for troughs? Holes? All of them?
Tide dependent?

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_9_16_SR.jpg

storminsteve
03-28-2013, 09:33 PM
If it's late April early May I would assume bunker are here. I would start with a bigger plug like a metal lip. If there was current and it was too strong would throw a bucktail till the last half of the tide, then the big plug. Around sunrise I would switch over to a popper of some sort. Awesome sunrise pic monty you have me :drool: to get out there!

Monty
03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
If it's late April early May I would assume bunker are here. I would start with a bigger plug like a metal lip. If there was current and it was too strong would throw a bucktail till the last half of the tide, then the big plug. Around sunrise I would switch over to a popper of some sort. Awesome sunrise pic monty you have me :drool: to get out there!

:HappyWave:

I have not had any consistent success with Dannys and other big plugs when there are no apparent signs of life in those conditions (wish I did, catching on them is a rush).
In those conditions I normally start off with a 14" Black Hogy, I like to fish around the broken jettys, find some moving water in front of them.
I also usually throw some sort of a popper on too in those conditions when the sun shows, used to go with a Pencil mostly in the calm water conditions, more recently have been going with the Dookster/spook type plug. Always looking for a swirl somewhere to drill a cast.

vpass
03-29-2013, 04:45 PM
I look for currents,rips and structure. Then if there are bunker around i'll start throwing big popper or Metal lips. I would look to work the plugs around schools of bunker.

finchaser
03-29-2013, 05:01 PM
What no clams!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only kidding Small Danny plug,3/4 ounce jig head with a 5" tail, 8" whip it eel ,in the dark Saigon slammer. If the pesky bunker come and vacuum up and remove the fish then a popper as they pass by.

surfstix1963
03-29-2013, 06:25 PM
A-40 Jr. in the dark,false dawn a dressed tailhook on a hopkins(I bring various colors to switch out rather then carry too many tins) low and slow.First light I'll bust out a popper and give it a shot unless the Hopkins is still working.Then it's time to hit the road.

J Barbosa
03-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Monty,

How are you rigging the 14" sluggos? In the conventional two hook setup?

Monty
03-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Two hook set-up always, had a bunch last year that hit the rear hook.
Double the 80 Dacron between the hooks.
Some with a weighted hook, most not.
I use Hogys not Sluggos.
Top Hogy in the pic is 18",

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_1_27_Hogy.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_4_15_SB2R.jpg

J Barbosa
04-01-2013, 04:38 PM
I meant Hogy, sorry brain fart!

Thats is a nice fish picture, I love it when the fins are extended.

I will try and buy a pack and I am going to try and rig one on a eel tin.

Monty
04-01-2013, 08:38 PM
I meant Hogy, sorry brain fart!

Thats is a nice fish picture, I love it when the fins are extended.

I will try and buy a pack and I am going to try and rig one on a eel tin.

I rigged some like this, I don't really like fishing these. After you rig them if you could post a pic I would like to see how you do it.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2011_9_11_Hogy.jpg

J Barbosa
04-01-2013, 09:20 PM
I prefer them weightless or with a lightly weighted swimbait hook for most of my fishing as well.

I rig the eel tin/wobble head version the same way you pictured.

I use the wobble head only at a few locations (think 10-20ft depths with a moderate to swift current).

I cast up current and let it sink before starting to retrieve (bucktail style). I am using the weight of the head to get down to the bass. I vary my retrieves, one cast I will do a boring straight retrieve with only the occasional rod twitch. Next cast I go with an erotic retrieve.

I have also tried them on 1 and 2oz jig heads and won't do that again, I found it to be the least effective method no matter how its retrieved.

jigfreak
04-07-2013, 07:26 PM
In the dark, then just at false dawn/sunrise.
Focus just on rock piles? Look for troughs? Holes? All of them?
Tide dependent?

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_9_16_SR.jpg

Tide is one of the first things to look at. Would fish small rubber first. If that didn't work keep moving till it did. The next would be small plugs SP or redfins at first light. Any of these should get you fish early spring. That time of year I don't like to fish any part where the sun is involved. Best action in the dark and in the shadow lines.

Nice hogys monty.

Rip-Plugger
04-07-2013, 09:02 PM
you know me,I'd start with a large swimmer then scale it down.if still nothing then I'd use the tennis ball method with a 6 inch seashad and slow roll it in.after all that switch out the rubber to a smiling bill and such.

jigfreak
05-23-2013, 03:13 PM
low and slow.First light I'll bust out a popper and give it a shot unless the Hopkins is still working.Then it's time to hit the road.

What surfstix said low and slow. Water is cold fish will be near the bottom. If you can't get a fish by dragging rubber or a bucktail jig it's time to hit the road.

porgy75
05-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Thank you for all the tips!

robmedina
05-26-2013, 10:47 AM
I am learning- so is this calm water caused by west wind? How would you fish it late May (but still feels like Spring- 50 degrees out) and low tide. with a low tide and west wind do all the stripers, blues etc push off shore?

storminsteve
05-27-2013, 05:59 PM
^^Rob some other members here can probably answer this better than me. The way I have read and seen it the west wind does calm the water if it has been a gnarly noreaster. That might not always be the case depending on what part of jersey you fish in. As for low tide and them pushing offshore I don't like low tide because it seems to take away from the water depth that they can hide in. I think dark and some of the guys here do well at low tide but I don't know exactly how they do it it must have something to do with the bait in the water and it gathering up at a certain point in the tide. I think the answer might also depend on what time of year (spring vs fall) as well. Sorry if this is not the best answer hope it helps a bit.

robmedina
05-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks Storminsteve. A lot to learn, that's for sure.

storminsteve
05-28-2013, 08:25 AM
You're welcome Rob. The guys here are real helpful. Ask away and you will probably get an answer, unless the bite is hot and they are all fishing it.;)

robmedina
05-28-2013, 11:34 AM
this is by far my favorite site. Very helpful people. Kind of makes me think there are some nice people still out there....