PDA

View Full Version : Olive colored plugs

Monty
03-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Do you use olive colored plugs? Plastic or wood.
Day/night, bright/dark?
I like the color a lot. I fish it often on over cast mornings.
Also at night. I always have and olive colored plug in the surf bag.
Has not been extremely productive for me.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2012_3_18_BM1.jpg

finchaser
03-31-2013, 10:03 AM
my favorite dawn and day color think of the color of eels and sandeels also spearing

vpass
03-31-2013, 11:43 AM
I never had luck with that color at night, but to be fair I never really gave it a chance, I use Flies in that color combo, and alot of good catches on early morning as the sun is rising, and just befor dark.

surfstix1963
04-02-2013, 05:32 AM
I like olive in my sandeel plugs, as a teaser it just never produced for me as opposed to all white,yellow & chartreuse.

hookset
04-02-2013, 08:07 AM
I agree with surfstix.

One night about 6 years ago, fall, cold november. The big sandeels were thick in jetty country. A few of us were fishing black needlefish. My friend had an olive colored needle. He did end up with a 24# bass on his olive one and started outfishing us. Don't know if it was the lighting that was around there or the fact that it was near a full moon. After his 4th bass I switched over to an olive one and matched him fish for fish. Strange night.

surfstix1963
04-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Dark color plugs are no good on a bright full moon unless there is heavy cloud cover, use a color you would during the day olive,bone color w/some gold,silver and the go to white,yellow and chartreuse.Consider where the moon is shining off the water fish the darker edges the light will attract bait and the fish will be lying in ambush on the darker side.