PDA

View Full Version : Should snagging bunker be allowed ?

Monty
04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Finchaser mentioned this some time ago. I really think making snagging bunker for catching Stripers illegal would really increase the amount of breeders available for spawning.

jigfreak
04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Monty you are losing it dude. No offense I agree with you but you didn't leave an option for "No, and anyone who can only catch a giant bass by snagging and dropping should only be allowed to fish for 6 months of the year." :kooky:
Just kidding you but this would never happen. You would be hunted down like frankenstein. lol

buckethead
04-01-2013, 08:15 PM
If you are going to try to regulate snagging bunker there will always be guys who say the netters do more damage. I don't know where I stand on this one as I never really thought about it. Gotta agree with jf it did happen half of the fishermen out there would have to quit fishing for bass.

Monty
04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
If you are going to try to regulate snagging bunker there will always be guys who say the netters do more damage. I don't know where I stand on this one as I never really thought about it. Gotta agree with jf it did happen half of the fishermen out there would have to quit fishing for bass.
Others may do more damage to the Striper population, but the snag and droppers kill plenty of bass, they do their part in killing breeders. I see no problem with 1/2 the fisherman quitting if that is how they feel.

J Barbosa
04-01-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm not big on snag and drop from the beach, I do like to liveline from the kayak but there I can easily switch the bunker to a one hook rig.

I prefer to use a pencil but others can argue that catch and release fisherman who use two trebles do just as much damage.

bababooey
04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Monty not trying to start trouble but isn't that a bit skewed? If you want to make an argument against snag and drop or livelining bunker you could probably make a similar argment about fishermen using clams or worms and killing fish. if you were to do that, supposing you could, what would stop the powers that be from eliminating all fishing with bait completely? That's my issue here that one kind of bait is allowed but another would not be. I hope you don't think this is an attack I just don't understand the logic of banning one kind of fishing. I mean, who gets to decide that, and how do I know they will be fair and impartial? My .02 only.

Monty
04-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Monty not trying to start trouble but isn't that a bit skewed? If you want to make an argument against snag and drop or livelining bunker you could probably make a similar argment about fishermen using clams or worms and killing fish. if you were to do that, supposing you could, what would stop the powers that be from eliminating all fishing with bait completely? That's my issue here that one kind of bait is allowed but another would not be. I hope you don't think this is an attack I just don't understand the logic of banning one kind of fishing. I mean, who gets to decide that, and how do I know they will be fair and impartial? My .02 only.
Bababooey, no problem, its a discussion (that's why I started the thread :HappyWave:) . There are lots of streams and rivers where only fly fishing is allowed and without barbs. So its not unprecedented.
Who would decide, maybe a study on what form of fishing for Striped Bass is responsible for killing the most big bass that are the best breeders.

surfstix1963
04-02-2013, 04:58 AM
I think the whole issue with snag and drop killing the fish is the snag hook itself, if you must snag bunker to catch fish then rebait to a circle hook they will work better and not harm the fish as much.

finchaser
04-02-2013, 11:41 AM
I think the whole issue with snag and drop killing the fish is the snag hook itself, if you must snag bunker to catch fish then rebait to a circle hook they will work better and not harm the fish as much.

What ^^^he said. In our boat tournaments snag and drop is prohibited, you can snag but must rehook on a circle. If that were the law 90% of the people couldn't catch a fish as they have no idea how to live line. Yes there is a big difference live lining is an art where as snag and drop is a no brainier no skill involved.

bababooey
04-03-2013, 07:02 PM
If that were the law 90% of the people couldn't catch a fish as they have no idea how to live line. Yes there is a big difference live lining is an art where as snag and drop is a no brainier no skill involved.

Well then 90% of the people would stop fishing? Where would the tackle shops and marinas be if that happened? Don't mean to start an argument finchaser but just trying to make some sense of what you said here.

Monty
04-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Well then 90% of the people would stop fishing? Where would the tackle shops and marinas be if that happened? Don't mean to start an argument finchaser but just trying to make some sense of what you said here. Well the other 90% should either learn to catch Bass another way, fish for Fluke or other fish or take up another activity. I really don't care what they do, its a free country. :HappyWave:

bababooey
04-03-2013, 08:13 PM
^^^Oh so you're a striper nazi now?:laugh: I'll have to go check the NJ F&G regulations, the ones where it says if you can't catch bass without snagging and dropping you must retire from the game and take up a less manly sport.;) :HappyWave:
Or maybe finchaser is the striper nazi and you are the first leiutenant.:)

bababooey
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
OK. I found it monty you and finchaser are right.:kooky::ROFLMAO

2013 NJ Recreational Minimum Size, Possession Limits & Seasons

°

Fish are measured from tip of snout to tip of tail.
° Snagging and dropping with weighted treble is prohibited, you can snag but must rehook on a circle.
See the Marine Fishing Issue of the NJ Fish &Wildlife Digest or New Jersey Fish & Wildlife website for exceptions.

Anticipated changes in 2013. Please check the Division of Fish
and Wildlife website for the most up to date information.

jigfreak
04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Bababooey april 1 ended 2 days ago. lol

Monty
04-03-2013, 08:51 PM
OK. I found it monty you and finchaser are right.:kooky::ROFLMAO

2013 NJ Recreational Minimum Size, Possession Limits & Seasons

°

Fish are measured from tip of snout to tip of tail.
° Snagging and dropping with weighted treble is prohibited, you can snag but must rehook on a circle.
See the Marine Fishing Issue of the NJ Fish &Wildlife Digest or New Jersey Fish & Wildlife website for exceptions.

Anticipated changes in 2013. Please check the Division of Fish
and Wildlife website for the most up to date information.

:ROFLMAO

One can only dream

If you are starting a petition please send me the info.:HappyWave:

finchaser
04-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Well then 90% of the people would stop fishing? Where would the tackle shops and marinas be if that happened? Don't mean to start an argument finchaser but just trying to make some sense of what you said here.

Believe me they don't make it on bunker snags:HappyWave: