View Full Version : RIP ChuckWagon Chuck Kababick

DarkSkies
04-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Some people know of PizzaJoe and Jim Cousins.
Maybe some don't. :don't know why:
Today I ran into "Chuckwagon" Chuck and he shared some stories with me. Most very cool, some embarassing, but all good. :thumbsup:

I'll try to post more when I get time.

Anyone who wants to share some memories of some other old-time NJ fishermen, feel free to post up.

I got some bad news yesterday, people, Chuckwagon Chuck has passed.
The sadness I feel is deep. He was a helluva guy and a fishing legend among the Sea Bright old-timers.

I last saw him before the fall. We all get busy and think our heroes will live forever....
We forget how the ravages of time will eventually take their toll.

The last I heard, he was very sick and in hospice care.
I think it was Sunday that he passed on.

He was such a colorful guy.....
I am so grateful for the stories he shared with me, and a little sad that I didn't make the time to hear some more.......
My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

I will post more details as the wake and funeral arrangements become known.
Or if anyone else hears them first, please be so kind as to post them up for us here.

storminsteve
04-09-2013, 06:53 PM
rip chuckwagon chuck. Did not know him but from the way you described him sounds like he was a colorful guy.

hookset
04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
He was a prince among men. Never too busy to tell a great story. Good friend of Pizzajoe as mentioned. Very sorry to hear the news. He will be missed

bababooey
04-10-2013, 09:52 PM
I did not know him either but if dark said he was a good storyteller I am sorry to not have met him. A few buds from seabright were talking about him today and said he was very generous always giving good advice and giving tackle and some of his home made flys away. RIP

bababooey
04-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Here is an article that was written interviewing him about false albacore in 2010.

Get Ready for False AlbacorePosted on September 2, 2010 (http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/fishhead/2010/09/02/get-ready-for-false-albacore/) by John Oswald (http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/fishhead/author/joswald/)

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/fishhead/files/2010/08/false_albacore2.jpg A false albacore that hit a Deadly **** off Monmouth Beach last September. Photo: John Oswald

It’s September and the speedsters will soon be upon us.
False albacore, little tunny or Fat Alberts –Euthynnus Alletteratus–usually arrive around late August/ beginning of September and can stay through October, offering local anglers an annual crack at these football-shaped dynamos.
They’re fast and beautiful fish, accessible to both surf and boat anglers. They can also be very frustrating.

“They’re a lot like women, you never know what they want,” said Chuck Kababick, Long Branch, a veteran angler who’s been fishing local waters since the late 1950s.

Kababick was speaking to a group of anglers gathered at the Sea Bright Public Beach for a false albacore seminar organized by Giglio’s Bait and Tackle.
As the water warms, a number of tropical fish move into our area. In addition to the albies, anglers can find bonito, Spanish and cero mackerel.
But first you have to find them.

Like the weather, they’re also unpredictable. They can show up anywhere, anytime … from Sandy Hook on south. And if you’re counting on a cell phone buddy calling when they’re spotted, you can forget about that. By the time you get to where albies have been sighted, they’re long gone. It’s a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
Then if you’re lucky enough to find them–they don’t show up every year–you have to get them to bite.

According to Kababick, your best chance is with small metal lures, tied directly to the line without snaps or swivels and retrieved as fast as you possibly can.
“You can’t reel fast enough,” said Kababick.
False albacore swim fast and hunt by sight. Too much metal will spook them.
Kababick started fishin for albies decades ago using a Tony Accetta lure, which resembles today’s Clark spoon.
When breaking off the beach, false albacore can resemble a school of bluefish. One way to tell the difference, Kababick said, is that the gulls won’t be diving on the albacore.

“Bluefish chop up the bait and the gulls dive on the pieces,” he said. “False albacore don’t.”
It is also possible to spot their distinctive football shape as they jump out of the water chasing spearing and rainfish.
http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/fishhead/files/2010/08/deadlydickjigs.jpg Small metals such as the Deadly **** are productive for false albacore.

Once located, Kababick suggest throwing the lure where there heading, not where they are. The school is always on the move. He uses a 9-foot rod for distance and any number of metal lures, including a Clark Spoon, AOK T-Hex, Zingamajigs, Crippled Herring or similar small metal lures.
Kabakick likes the T-Hex and Zingamajigs because their small profile cuts through the wind. Once in the water, he said, let them sink before reeling like crazy.
One seminar goer asked Kabakick how to tell the difference between a false albacore and a bonito, a similar tuna-shaped fish that appears around the same time.
“The easiest way to tell the difference,” he said jokingly, “is to cook them.”
Bonito make fine table fare, while false albacore do not.

The best way to tell them apart is that albies have blue/green iridescent coloring on their back with black spots and irregular striping. Bonito has a steel-blue back and the sides have five to 11 dark, slightly oblique stripes.
Another method Kababick offered for hooking an albie when they’re pooled up close to shore is to take a plug, like a Zara Spook, remove the hooks and tie 20 inches of leader material to back of the lure. To the end of that, tie a teaser that resembles spearing or rainfish.

Cast the plug into the fish then retrieve in using a walk-the-dog action. Kababick has seen this method produce when the small metals fail. A trolling sinker or drail can used in place of the plug.

To tie the leader to the line, Kababick recommends an Albright knot which eliminates the need for any terminal tackle.
In closing, Kababick talked about etiquette on the beach and the importance of giving every angler enough room.
“There’s no need to crowd anyone, there’s plenty of room on the beach. You don’t need to be a good fisherman to be polite,” he said.
So keep your eyes peeled and a rod ready. The albies can show up anytime.

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/fishhead/2010/09/02/get-ready-for-false-albacore/

fishinmission78
04-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Ddin't know Kababick was his last name. I would see him up in Giglios with Chicago Bill whenever I drove up north to fish. Nice guy and you could tell even though he was nice he didn't take no crap from anyone. RIP Chuck.

CharlieTuna
04-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Thoughts and prayers

jigfreak
04-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Whatever happened to Chicago Bill heard he went back to Chicago after Sandy. Rip Chuck

basshunter
04-10-2013, 11:27 PM
rip

buckethead
04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Whatever happened to Chicago Bill heard he went back to Chicago after Sandy. Rip Chuck

Heard that too. RIP

buckethead
04-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Found the memorial service info dark for you and anyone else who wants to go

Charles C. "Chuck" Kababick
Obituary
Guest Book
Be the first to share your memories or express your condolences in the Guest Book for Charles C. "Chuck" Kababick.

View
Sign

Charles C. "Chuck" Kababick

Charles C. "Chuck" Kababick, 80, of Long Branch, passed away on Saturday, April 6, 2013 in Holmdel. He was born October 12, 1932 in Spotswood, NJ, where he spent his childhood. He graduated from South River High School and later lived in Toms River, Old Bridge, and Long Branch. He served in the US Army during the Korean War and played minor league baseball with the Kingsport Cherokees, an affiliate of the New York Giants.

He was a carpenter by trade and a fisherman by heart. He was predeceased by his parents, John and Mary (Taskowitz) Kababick; his brother, John, and sister, Laura Skiles, and his long-time companion, Sandra Barnes. He is survived by his five children, Karin Bos and husband, Peter, of Maine, Chris and wife, Cathy, of Virginia, Karla Sellick and husband, Chuck, of Keyport, Laura Bermingham and husband, John, of Pennsylvania, and John and his companion, Jill Carlen, of South River; his granddaughter, Sara Bos; his sisters, Mary Ann Martenak and Janet Kammerer, and their families; and many nieces, nephews and cousins, good friends and fishing buddies.

Family and friends are invited to share in the celebration of his life on Saturday, April 20, 2013 from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. at the Shore Point Funeral Home, 3269 State Route 35 North, Hazlet, NJ. For information, directions or to send condolences to the family, please visit, www.shorepointfh.com (http://www.shorepointfh.com)

hookset
06-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Wow hes gone over a year already. Where did the time go. RIP Chuck