PDA

View Full Version : Ask the Grouch.....Finchaser tests the Newest Gear.....

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 11:59 AM
About time to give that old grouchy basstid some credit.....

He's so connected with the reps and tackle manufacturers that they ask him to come out and look, when they're debuting a new or improved product.....

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Past examples....

1. A national rod manufacturer asked him to build a rod to specs that would be best for that type of use.
Once he did, they took it and mass produced it......no megadollars going to him except the fees for the rod build.....

There have been other examples down the road, but this is probably the only one he will let me talk about.....:d

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:05 PM
He's also very well connected with the reps when they have new products they want to test the waters on....often getting to play with gear, plugs, rods, or innovative tackle months before the general public knows anything about it at all.....:wow: :bigeyes:

For example, the Daiwa SPs and SMs were in his hands at least 6 months before anyone knew that they were slated for roll-out......
We had the benefit of using them, and catching fish, long before anyone on the internet was posting pics and trying to block out the picture of the "sekrit" plug they were using. :rolleyes:

So, knowing that old grouchy basstid has it's benefits.....:kiss:
One of the reasons I put up with his rants and raves, and him telling me I smell like a dumpster....:laugh:

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
I started this thread, so maybe some of ya's can ask him about some of the new reels, rods, or products that are coming out.....if it's gonna get widespread distribution, chances are he knows about it, as soon as the manufacturers are thinking about production....and is often one of a select group that gets to try these toys before the public looks at them......

Due to that nature, he may not be able to answer all your questions here.......but on the chance that he will.....have some insight to share....I set up this thread for him............

Remember, finchaser will be finchaser....if he barks or yells at you about something you asked him about new gear...don't come whining to me....his answers to me are usually gruff, curt, and short....so if ya's can get any more than that out of him....be grateful...no whining........:) :HappyWave:

bababooey
04-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Forget the finchaser fishing intel chain. I want in on this intel chain.:laugh:

storminsteve
04-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Forget the finchaser fishing intel chain. I want in on this intel chain.:laugh:

Haha me too! Even if they pay me in SP plugs that would be cool.

ledhead36
04-12-2013, 03:59 PM
finchaser should try for endorsement deals. Maybe noseplugs or special air freshener for those times he has to stand next to the guys who sleep in their cars overnight to stay on the fish.:ROFLMAO

finchaser
04-12-2013, 04:44 PM
DS you write so well it makes me want to meet me.

surfstix1963
04-13-2013, 04:36 AM
^^^^^ Ha!!!! doesn't he write well Bob..

surferman
04-13-2013, 09:18 PM
You guys got the sps 6 months before they were sold otc? Im truely jealous!

Fishman
04-14-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm new to the site but have been a lurker for a while. From what I have been reading finchaser seems to have years of knowledge. No wonder the reps are calling him.

J Barbosa
04-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Fin, what's your opinion on the new larger sp?

finchaser
04-14-2013, 10:18 PM
You guys got the sps 6 months before they were sold otc? I'm truly jealous!

Yes I had the SP over a year ago along with the DS minnow to try.
The limited edition colors I had last summer by the way they are now going to be stock colors. A wonder bread mother of pearl is also been added. They we be available again in July.

Tested the new Baker plugs last fall they are super, cast just as well as SP just swim a little deeper. They are made of Lexan with the finish inside of the plug on some colors. They, come with HD split rings and 4X strong VMC hooks right out of package. Two sizes available in 6" 1 1/4 with sliding mag cast design and 4 1/2" and 7/8 ounce in 14 colors. Now availble for 2013 season by the company that makes the Baker hook outs.

Also the new 5" Gulp swimming minnow will be out in June used it last fluke season was super for deep water jigging. Did get bass on it also on a lead head

For All you Penn 706 and 704 fans, Penn is contemplating a limited one time run at $200 each with no upgrades IMO a waste for a reel that originally sold for $70 bucks. I already fished the new SSV series last fall and it's sealed and has infinate anti reverse 7 more bearing,skirted spool and is $60 bucks less

I have also been testing 4 of the new Fiber Star Composite rods which are awesome and the build quality is outstanding plus the blanks are AMERICAN made.

I am also trying a new braid I am not at liberty to mention the name as it may not become available.

After testing the new Phenox carbon fiber jigging rod. I liked it so much I took the liberty of building myself 2 more a 8' spinning and 8' conventional they will have surf rods and blanks in the near future. I'll keep you updated. Phenoxrods.com

finchaser
04-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Fin, what's your opinion on the new larger sp?

J that's news to me there is a 5" DS minnow and 6" SP saw the Diawa rep 2 weeks ago and he showed some new reels and rods but no new SP minnows but i will check it out

finchaser
04-14-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm new to the site but have been a lurker for a while. From what I have been reading finchaser seems to have years of knowledge. No wonder the reps are calling him.

Thanks but a correction they do not call me directly even though they know me the 2 shops that I hang at and repair rods for ask me to come in when reps have new items as they value my opinion. The rod DS mentioned I did the modification for was a friends company that is a major tackle distributor who is an importer of a line of products you all use.

finchaser
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Just to keep you guy's up todate today I was given the new Savage Plug (with magnetic system) that is ready to fish has 4X VMC hooks and xHD split rings right out of the box. Was told it can out cast an SP minnow and weighs in at 1 1/4 ounces.

ledhead36
04-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Never heard of the company but I like the name! Finchaser you are a lucky dog.:HappyWave:

finchaser
04-18-2013, 08:50 AM
LH ^ Savage makes the expensive soft plastics and eel lures, they have a sand eel shape lead head with replaceable tails they are trying to get into the hard plastic business

speedy
04-18-2013, 11:08 AM
^^^^^ Ha!!!! doesn't he write well Bob..stop blowing smoke up bobs *** ...lmao

J Barbosa
04-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Finchaser, I heard of a two ounce sp minnow but its probably just a rumor.

finchaser
04-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Finchaser, I heard of a two ounce sp minnow but its probably just a rumor.

Will find out tomorrow from the diawa rep they are not on website or in 2013 catolog unless they are for the Japanese market

finchaser
04-19-2013, 11:16 AM
It's a rumor not on the drawing board yet but could be for 2014

albiealert
04-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the updates finchaser. It must be so cool to get to be the tester for these products.
If you have any more comments about the savage plugs please let us know.

DarkSkies
05-13-2014, 08:36 PM
He's now testing the SeaHunt line of swim baits. Allegedly being made by a new party, new and improved. If ya have questions about that Seahunt plug,
(or the whole line...) ask the Ol Grouchy Basstid in this thread......:HappyWave:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9527-Review-SeaHunt-Swim-Bait-lures-(Japan)

DarkSkies
05-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Also reviews of the Baker and Savage plugs if anyone wants to chime in as well.....

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9528-Review-Baker-saltwater-Plugs

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9529-Review-Savage-Plugs