PDA

View Full Version : Visit with the Madman of Rubber.........

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Some of ya's have probably heard of our member Toadfish, here...:HappyWave:..he's a man of few words.....not much on posting, would rather spend his time fishing.....:fishing:

What ya's might not know is that he is the King o Rubber.......

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:18 PM
When I first met him, we had some conversations about fishing...
I noticed that he was pretty obsessive and has fished quite a few of the key areas along the Striper Coast......

I also realized he made rubber.....yup, he has a basement operation as neat and organized as any rubber factory......
Hogys, Sluggos, Bass Asassins, in most of the popular sizes.......

OK, it kind of slipped my mind as to how extensive this guy's knowledge was.......:don't know why:

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Recently I had a reason to meet him...
Got a text message.....he was making a seasonal batch of rubber.....did I want to come by and buy some? :drool:

So I went about making a visit to his castle.....
First of all...he lives in the backwoods.....all the more seclusion to make his rubber and mix those volatile chemicals...:kooky:

This place is not easy to get to...I got lost......
Some neighborhood women took pity on me...they said they would drive me to get near his castle.....:cool:

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:28 PM
When they asked exactly where I was going....their heads reared back in horror......

"Oh No, you can't be serious! That guy is like a mad scientist or something! :scared: "
We heard people enter his castle, and some don't leave!
Worst than Dracula's castle....

And to top it all off, he's one of those FISHERMEN too! :upck:

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:30 PM
I persisted, would not be swayed from making that visit.....the women left me off at the front gate....
Then I had to drive a long narrow steep road to the top of the mountain where his castle was......

High up in the clouds, it looked like something from a gothic horror novel....
I was a little apprehensive when I knocked at the door, wondering what I would find inside.....

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:32 PM
When he opened the door, I was expecting to see Count Dracula, or the Wolfman, something like that......
Instead I found a crazy obsessed fisherman who lived in a house on a hill......:thumbsup:

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 12:39 PM
He did allow me to take some pics...as I get a chance I'll post some of them....for those of ya's who like and use sluggos and bass assassins, you might be drooling.....open the thread with a towel under your mouths......:laugh:

jigfreak
04-12-2013, 12:48 PM
He did allow me to take some pics...as I get a chance I'll post some of them....

I say it takes 2 weeks for you to post those pics. Any one want to bet me it will be less?:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Jigfreak....:moon:..thanks so much for your valuable feedback....:laugh: :HappyWave:
but you're wrong, this time.....

I have been a little busy, will try to post a few pics at a time.....
If you have any questions about the process feel free to ask Toadfish.....
He may not answer all of your questions as some of the things he knows took quite a while for him to perfect and are proprietary......so let's please be grateful if he does choose to share any of it with us....thanks, people......:HappyWave:

**BTW, he explained to me the patent did expire on these, so what he's doing is perfectly legal. :learn:

DarkSkies
04-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Some of the stock he had made when I went to visit him.......

the dacron is what he's using to rig the hooks with. He sells some of these unrigged, and some rigged.

toadfish
04-12-2013, 10:24 PM
HAHAHA The villagers are still talking about the strange late night visitor,guards have been posted at all the crossroads. Hope the fumes didn't affect you too badly. Some of the secret ingredients,like tongue of politician, are quite toxic when heated.

surfstix1963
04-13-2013, 04:29 AM
Nice work Toadfish.Tongue of politician that was great their always toxic.
HAHAHA The villagers are still talking about the strange late night visitor,guards have been posted at all the crossroads. Hope the fumes didn't affect you too badly. Some of the secret ingredients,like tongue of politician, are quite toxic when heated.

Monty
04-13-2013, 06:51 AM
When he opened the door, I was expecting to see Count Dracula, or the Wolfman, something like that......
Instead I found a crazy obsessed fisherman who lived in a house on a hill......:thumbsup:
When I say I caught a fish on some type of rubber, most of the time they are made by the "Mad Man of Rubber" :ROFLMAO
I also need to thank "The Mad Man :ROFLMAO " for getting me to fish the white rubber when the sky starts lighting up, has gotten me a few bass and I am throwing it more often as I get more confidence in it (adrenalin rush when I can see the bass take it on top).

A 35 inch bass taken on one of "The Mad Man's" 14" Rubber

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2010_6_13_SB1.jpg

vpass
04-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Some of the stock he had made when I went to visit him.......

the dacron is what he's using to rig the hooks with. He sells some of these unrigged, and some rigged.

:wow:That's alot of Rubbers:heart: Cools stuff Toadman

DarkSkies
04-14-2013, 07:38 AM

DarkSkies
04-14-2013, 07:38 AM
This shows some of the tins and extra rubber he uses. Lots of guys talk about using broken pieces again but it becomes impractical...when you have all the machines that he has it's easy as making a rubber pie......:laugh:

Some bass assassins, white sluggos, and (I think)the black one is Monty's favorite, the Hogys....

J Barbosa
04-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Toadfish,

Great looking plastics there and thanks for the pics dark.

In all seriousness, how toxic is melting or re-melting your own plastics?

Monty
04-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Toadfish,

Great looking plastics there and thanks for the pics dark.

In all seriousness, how toxic is melting or re-melting your own plastics?

Toadfish does wear a respirator.

DarkSkies
05-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Ones I forgot to post.....
the thread sticking out are the ones he rigs with dacron and hooks...and the rest he sells solo so you can rig your own way.....

DarkSkies
05-19-2013, 12:18 PM

DarkSkies
05-19-2013, 12:19 PM

DarkSkies
05-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Just to show ya's how crazy/creative he is, when I gave him the name the "Madman of Rubber"...he took this pic and sent it to me....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:

Monty
05-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Just to show ya's how crazy/creative he is, when I gave him the name the "Madman of Rubber"...he took this pic and sent it to me....:thumbsup: :HappyWave:
:ROFLMAO Definitely C and C.....
Rigged a few of his 14" eels last night.

baitstealer
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
You guys are nuts!:kooky: :clapping:
Very informative I had no idea you could make those at home. Thanks for posting.

DarkSkies
04-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Someone was asking me about where to buy plain rubber shads today. It dawned on me we have someone right here, who makes and sells not shads, but rubber replicas of sluggos, hogys, and bass assassins a lot cheaper than you can get elsewhere, even on the internet....

After May he packs it in here and goes to MA for the summer.....so get in touch with him before then, if ya want rubber at good prices.....:thumbsup:

J Barbosa
04-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Toadfish,

If you see this I am trying to reach you :HappyWave: