PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Blues, Racers, Gators

Monty
04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Any thoughts on when the Blues will start to show this year?
Can't wait for them to arrive.

A double of Gators from 2009, one on a Tony Spina Pencil, the other on a Teaser.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2009_blue_double_c.jpg

vpass
04-12-2013, 09:28 PM
by the end of next weekend we should start hearing few being caught. few more deg. should do it. I hope it a good year with the gators.

madcaster
04-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I'll be out on the hunt this week ...but I alway get then on the last week of April ...with bait

surfstix1963
04-13-2013, 04:32 AM
We don't usually get them till beginning of May. in NY unless the water warms quickly and that doesn't look like that will happen.Forsythia just bloomed though.

ledhead36
04-13-2013, 06:01 AM
by the end of next weekend we should start hearing few being caught. few more deg. should do it. I hope it a good year with the gators.

I'll be out on the hunt this week ...but I alway get then on the last week of April ...with bait

I can't wait for them to show up either. Always lots of fun. I agree with vpass timetable. surfstix we get the racers for a week or 2 and then ther gone when the bay heats up. Is that the same way it works for you? monty great pics that doubleheader has me stoked!

vpass
04-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Any thoughts on when the Blues will start to show this year?
Can't wait for them to arrive.

A double of Gators from 2009, one on a Tony Spina Pencil, the other on a Teaser.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2009_blue_double_c.jpg

Hey Monty that must of been a blast. I stop fishing teasers when the blues around. I have lost many plugs in the past. What a evil fish they are:headbang:. Love them.

J Barbosa
04-14-2013, 02:40 PM
There is a ton of bunker hugging the south side of the RB ready to be chopped in half by some hungry gators. I spent some time soaking freshly snagged bunker with no hits.

If the forecast for this week holds up I think we will see some scattered reports this coming weekend.

ledhead36
04-18-2013, 01:24 AM
There is a ton of bunker hugging the south side of the RB ready to be chopped in half by some hungry gators. I spent some time soaking freshly snagged bunker with no hits.

If the forecast for this week holds up I think we will see some scattered reports this coming weekend.

The wait might be over. One guy chunking bunker down the beach from us tonight got bit off.:scared:

J Barbosa
04-18-2013, 07:13 PM
The wait might be over. One guy chunking bunker down the beach from us tonight got bit off.:scared:

Scary. I heard two separate reports of blues caught last night.

Monty
04-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Scary. I heard two separate reports of blues caught last night.

Anyone hear of blues caught ocean side?
I think there are loads of herring out there.

fishinmission78
04-21-2013, 02:20 AM
reports of blues caught off lbi in the last few days. Bunker chunks.

finchaser
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
we plugged them this AM

cowherder
04-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Nice going finchaser! How about some fish size and plug details for those of us who love the yellow eyed demons.:drool:

storminsteve
04-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Oh no they're here!:scared:
Awesome report will be good to get some early racer action. Any size to them please spill what you can share it would be appreciated.

jonthepain
04-21-2013, 02:06 PM
wish i was there! one of my favorite seasons of the year.

J Barbosa
04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Ohh, what a tease you are.

bababooey
04-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Ohh, what a tease you are.

:clapping: :clapping:Hah some girls are known as **** teases.:pig:
finchaser is the blue tease. lol

finchaser
04-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Nice going fin chaser! How about some fish size and plug details for those of us who love the yellow eyed demons.:drool:

we had bass and blues on SP minnows lazer shiner color and my one friend refuses to use one had em on the green back bomber. Also had a 30"bass on the new Savage swimmer

madcaster
04-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Fished RB 5pm to 7pm ...top of the tide ....saw some big bass caught and carried off the beaches. Caught my first blue of the year on a ava.

storminsteve
04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
nice going madcaster! Just read a report they have invaded the great bay 6-15lbs. They should be here by the thousands any day now. A huge armada of toothy critters bring it!

J Barbosa
04-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Good going Madcaster,

The forecast for the rest of this week looks promising to bring them on the flats. 8wt fly rod will finally get a bend in it!

cowherder
04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
That must be awesome catching them on a fly rod JB!

jonthepain
04-23-2013, 05:38 PM
that would be great! i'd love to try that some day.

ledhead36
04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Oh no they're here!:scared:
Awesome report will be good to get some early racer action. Any size to them please spill what you can share it would be appreciated.

mess of them caught last night Steve. Even eating clams they are so hungry they are eating everything. The only bad thing is they were on the small side last night. 3-6 lbs. All black and shiny like they just came from the ocean. Skinny racers.

cowherder
04-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Had some good action right before dark in the back of rb tonight. Small poppers and metal. got 11 blues to 5 lbs. That was the size of almost all of them 4-5lbs no big ones. Still a lot of fun.

Monty
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Had some good action right before dark in the back of rb tonight. Small poppers and metal. got 11 blues to 5 lbs. That was the size of almost all of them 4-5lbs no big ones. Still a lot of fun.

Nice action. :HappyWave:

storminsteve
05-05-2013, 01:20 PM
They have invaded sandy hook bay. Got them to 10lbs this morning on bunker chunks. Don't know where they came from but some of these were FAT and NASTY!:viking:

Monty
05-05-2013, 03:00 PM
They have invaded sandy hook bay. Got them to 10lbs this morning on bunker chunks. Don't know where they came from but some of these were FAT and NASTY!:viking:

Nice SS

Got a few blues this morning too, (not 10 lbs, but put a bend in the rod and was fun) my first fish on a Megabait.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_5_5_blMegabait.jpg

jigfreak
05-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Nice going fellas. Even nicer to get them on plugs. Anyone bucktailing them?

hookset
05-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Way to go gents. Nice pic monty hope there are loads more and bigger ones to come. jigfreak I was catching a few on 1/2 oz bucktail and pork rind last night bayside. I prefer that or metal because its easier to de-hook. When you want to release them I think the trebles take away from the fishing as they get embedded. Still lots of fun on plugs. One trick I do is take the rear treble off as blues most always hit the rear. Replace with single siwash and your good to go.

baitstealer
05-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Great news thanks for the update.

DarkSkies
05-11-2013, 03:55 PM
The pic below kind of symbolizes it for me.
You can tell he's having a blast. The expression on his face says it all.

BTW this is Jordan, friend of sitemember xtremeVisions.....
He's a Marine who lost his leg in the Middle East while serving our country.
thanks for your service Jordan, :clapping::thumbsup:
Thanks for sending the pic Xtreme. :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
05-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Nicer bluefish......

buckethead
05-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Got em to 15# tonight. Straight from offshore with the purple green tinge to them. Lots of fun. All artificials

J Barbosa
05-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Good stuff guys :thumbsup:

I fished yesterday from 5-9pm and we had great bluefish action nonstop at some points...regret leaving the fly rod in the car.

storminsteve
05-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Nice going jb, I fished nomoco this am and got a few they seemed energized all on metal.

fishinmission78
05-18-2013, 09:50 AM
2 day report. Fished Ibsp yesterday after work. A mess o blues to 7# on metal. Fished today 6-8. One short bass on clams, no blues.

DarkSkies
05-18-2013, 10:08 AM
5-17-13
Fished 2 hours before sunrise, nothing.
Then I went to a back bay spot that usually heats up with bluefish. The other day it was dead. This day it was productive because overnight bait had moved in, spearing or rainfish.
Managed 15 bluefish to 12# hooked and lost others. Lots of fun. Best action lasted for about an hour and then the activity waned as the tide dropped.

You could still get them if you waded out. In the end it seemed I was wading out almost to the point where I was going to get my waders wet to get some more fish.
Toward the end of the bite Vpass came along and we caught a few fish together. :fishing:

Reading the water,
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9014-Vpass-Helps-the-new-guys-And-other-thoughts-for-Saltwater-Fly-Beginners

he determined that the fish were shifting, so we moved a bit and picked up a few more. The bright sun really was the kiss of death for that bite, along with colder water coming in on the flood tide.

Still, nice to get out there and run into V...I know he works a lot and doesn't get many chances to get out there...
Also ran into the OFFC as I was leaving,,,,nice to see all of you again and reminisce how good fishing used to be just 8 short years ago....best of health and good luck wishes for the Season. :HappyWave:

storminsteve
05-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Great report dark I hope those big blues are here to stay! I hit up nomoco again today and had some blue demon action. Got 8 the biggest was 9 pounds all on metal.

Mike O
05-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Fished SH early this morning. Got 1 bluefish on a popper speedy made for me. Thanks Todd. Actually it hit my teaser, but the popper was what brought the fish to my teaser. On a bad note, the insert on the large guide fell out and broke in half on my St. Croix rod. What a bummer. Sent it back already. I hope they do the right thing, that rod is only 3 years old. It cost me plenty just to ship it back and I think I will be paying for the shipping back to me! Not such a good warranty policy. Just have to use my old Daiwa rods til I get it back.

J Barbosa
05-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Fished last night starting just before midnight until 10am this morning. We were in the bay from 12-5am and I caught a 16lb bass and a buddy got a 8lb bass + one small blue. Decided to move and try the surf and we found what seemed like miles of small bluefish blitzing just outside of casting range. They did move in and out and we had some fun with them on light rods. Also tossed some of my leftover bait from the night trip to see if any bass in the surf where willing to cooperate...conditions felt very fishy.

This female crab is lucky I'm to lazy to steam just one crab although I am having withdrawals from OLDBAY.

cowherder
05-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks for answering my question about the blowfish jb they look like nice size and the crab looks mighty tasty too bad you couldn't get some more.
I fished nomoco this morning from 5-7 incoming tide there were some blues there. Had good time with them on metal.

albiealert
05-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I did not catch this bluefish but saw it online. Capt Paul Peluso from MamaMia. I thought it was a monster and worth posting. Can't wait till we have them that size in the rivers here!

ledhead36
05-31-2013, 02:09 PM
Got them 10lbs and up yesterday late noon into night. All on bunker chunks, bayshore. The bunker came in and the blues after them. Bit off a lot of my leaders and tackle. Wicked fun.:naughty:

VSdreams
06-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Nice bluefish dudes! I was fishing over the weekend. Walked past one guy who was fluking. He got a six pound bluefish on his gulp. He was cursing. He said "I would rather not fish, than catch these suckers!" I dunno blues are kinda fun!:viking:

Monty
06-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I enjoy catching Blues, but Gators give me an extra adrenalin rush.
This year and last year there has been a few times where there where lots blues around in the 1-5 pound range. But some bigger ones where mixed in, somewhere in the area I was fishing. So the challenge was to try to catch the Gators. I like to think of Gators as a Blue 30 inches or bigger.
They have been giving a few of my plugs a beating :D Plus its awesome getting top water Blues and Gators.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_6_3_Gator.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_6_3_Plug_Rebuild.jpg

DarkSkies
06-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Some big blues were in the bay the last week of May, following the bunker schools.....never showing, never blitzing,.....but busting tackle for anyone throwing bunker chunks.,....pics courtesy of the TCB crew......:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
06-06-2013, 12:40 AM
I enjoy catching Blues, but Gators give me an extra adrenalin rush.So the challenge was to try to catch the Gators. I like to think of Gators as a Blue 30 inches or bigger.
They have been giving a few of my plugs a beating :D Plus its awesome getting top water Blues and Gators.

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_6_3_Gator.jpg

http://rocksimpson.com/images/2013_6_3_Plug_Rebuild.jpg

You know I feel the same way....when the blues get to 30" and up,,,,I would rather leave the bass and target them....
One of the old timers I met the other day....one of Chuckwagon Chuck's friends....and I were talking about this....

He said:
"I want to catch any fish that's fun to catch...bluefish are fun because they just do not give up...even when you beach them they want to kill you!"....
Simple but true...why does it have to be a bass for most guys to get excited about it?
IMO There is nothing for the surf fisherman (except for big albies) like casting and catching giant after giant blue....better than going to the gym....and enough adrenalin for a natural high that lasts me for hours......:drool:

cowherder
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Awesome pics thanks for starting this thread monty!!
A bluefish I got the other day

williehookem
06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Nice shots keep em coming.

baitstealer
07-08-2013, 10:40 PM
So where are all the blues and how come the party boats can't even find them? are they spawning?

Monty
07-09-2013, 08:00 AM
So where are all the blues and how come the party boats can't even find them? are they spawning?

I think its that time of the year when they head out to spawn.

ledhead36
07-09-2013, 10:15 AM
^ What Monty said. They are supposably all offshore too. This was on nj.com yesteday Capt Al.

Ocean bluefishing has been a disaster for party and charter boats along the Shore, but Capt. Russ Binns proved there's no lack of choppers if you just sail far enough. On Sunday, Binns ran his Mar-Lin from Toms River off to the Glory Hole where he was soon covered up with blues to 12 pounds instead of the bluefin tuna he was seeking. That's about the worst thing that can happen to a tuna troller as the choppers tear up expensive lures, if not cutting them off. Indeed, Binns said he saw only one sea turtle and hardly any birds all day as he moved to the Atlantic Princess for more blues in clear waters. He ended up at the HA Buoy, where the water was green and the bluefish not as abundant. Binns said they must have caught 50 blues during the day, and the only consolation I could give him was that he'd probably outfished the entire Shore bluefish fleet over the last several weeks.

Though the Golden Eagle from Belmar hasn't caught any blues on day trips recently, Capt. Jim Elliott got into a few Saturday night. They have had information about big blues within range, and plan to try reaching them.

J Barbosa
07-09-2013, 10:06 PM
The belmar boats finally got on some blues today.

storminsteve
07-10-2013, 08:51 PM
^^^2nd day in a row they got into them today again. Had to go offshore 30 miles to get some. I hope that changes soon, would really like to see some of those gators. Even small ones will do it has been a desert as far as bluefish action goes.

J Barbosa
07-10-2013, 11:29 PM
^^^2nd day in a row they got into them today again. Had to go offshore 30 miles to get some. I hope that changes soon, would really like to see some of those gators. Even small ones will do it has been a desert as far as bluefish action goes.

Yep, same for about two weeks now.

I wish the headboats offered to net the blues rather than just gaff everything. They would be so much fun on light tackle.

clamchucker
07-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Some blues are starting to be caught in the Barnegat Ridge area and SE of that. I feel they should be a lot closer to shore by the end of the month.
Some friends of mine caught small cocktails in the Barnegat inlet yesterday.

J Barbosa
07-20-2013, 05:16 PM
They are back in the RB.

Monty
07-20-2013, 07:20 PM
They are back in the RB.

Thanks for the "heads up", that's good news.

J Barbosa
07-22-2013, 10:59 PM
I don't like the current path I am on. Honey, somebody shrunk the bluefish!

1 month ago they were brutes! 10-12lbs+
Two weeks ago average size was around 5lbs
Sunday average size was 1lb
Next week - snappers

I honestly can't wait for some cooler water again.

williehookem
08-01-2013, 05:24 PM
This is a monster blue someone caught weds. I think they were fishing the tin can grounds. Sheepshead bay boat. Hope to see these in a little closer soon.

J Barbosa
08-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Some big blues being reported around the shrewsbury rocks

robmedina
08-02-2013, 06:07 AM
that's a nice fish!

hookset
08-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Some big blues being reported around the shrewsbury rocks

Agreed and some even closer. A friend was drifting the rocks in his boat off long branch to asbury early in the morning over the weekend and got into some blues. Mostly cocktail, but once they found them he started jigging with avas. Biggest went 7#.

DarkSkies
08-12-2013, 09:02 PM
IN most parts of Jersey nearshore now we have a bluefish drought.
Not many in the surf, and they are small cocktails when you find some...party boats are fishing 5-15 miles offshore of us where bluefish are abundant...only to catch limits of peewees measuring in inches and not pounds.
'
While there are many who turn their noses up at bluefish, I absolutely love the devastation and destruction caused by the bigger ones....when they are around either you lose all your gear, tackle, and plugs in the frenzy, or you learn to deal with it and manage to score a few gorillas.

really enjoyed your report, Cheech...it's been way too long since I've talked to ya....
Thanks for the report.
You sound like you had a blast,,,as always a pleasure to read a Cheech report..WTG!

(pics and report courtesy of Cheech :HappyWave:)

Gorilla Blues in the Western Sound....8-12-13

The bunker got slammed today by the ospreys, the bluefish, and my treble snag.

Had trouble getting a intact bunker back to the kayak to liveline on a steel wired tandem hook rig.

Huge acrobatic bluefish were everywhere, my 15#mono, and 65#braid mainlines got sliced many times. Within seconds my drags were screaming on every drop.

After losing several rigs, all my steel leaders and a snag, I took the rubber tube off a 18" ss wire tube n worm and fished that. Fished till my hands and wrists were shot. The nearby porgy/fluke boats were also killing them by all the noise those guys were making. Next time I'll have plenty of steel and a real boat rod and reel. Got two non keeper bass on the way back to the dock.

voyager35
08-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Some good news folks. friends of mine were fishing this week and found bigger blues to 17lbs in the Mud dump. You can read the Belmar party boat reports and see that some of the boats broke off from the fleet to take the ride north and found them as well. They are only 5-10 miles offshore now and will probably come closer in the next few weeks.

captnemo
09-06-2013, 03:57 PM
A fellow capt was in the NY Bight today and jigged bluefish up to 16 pounds. They said the whoie fleet was there even boats from Belmar. About halfway between Sandy Hook and Breezy point. and to the east of that.

J Barbosa
09-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Golden Eagle reported five blues over 20lbs today. I would love to see one of those. :scared:

cowherder
09-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Me too those are some monsters!:bigeyes:

storminsteve
10-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Golden Eagle reported five blues over 20lbs today. I would love to see one of those. :scared:

Today on the Brooklyn VI a guy got one 21.6 lbs. Yowza!!!!!!!!:dribble:

williehookem
10-14-2013, 08:35 PM
blues are in mecca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMtLf8aW48A#t=16

buckethead
11-13-2013, 08:21 PM
A guy fishing next to me today got a bluefish that had to be 11 or 12 lbs. Prettty big, He got it on a bucktail. Haven't seen one that size in the surf in months.