PDA

View Full Version : Rods for throwing rubber and big plugs/versatile rod

Monty
04-15-2013, 07:11 AM
The rods I have used most of the time in the last few years have moderate or moderate fast action. Lure ratings from 3/4-3 or 4 oz. They would kind of break down when throwing the 14" Hogys or a big Rip-Plugger Plug, a normal cast would become a lob. I use 10'-11'rods.
I tried the new St Croix Avid 11' rod this weekend, its rated for 3-8 oz and has a fast action.
Was great for throwing the Hogys, was like a normal cast instead of a lob.
But what surprised me was that I could throw a Mambo Minnow just as far as with the other rods with it. And could still feel the plugs action.
Threw plugs and metal with it and really liked the rod.
I am pretty sure Rip-Plugger uses rods with high plug oz ratings for launching his wood.
I have a Breakaway Omega rod that is fast action, for throwing 3-4 oz metal its a rocket launcher, but does not load at all with lighter plugs and for throwing the Hogys I was not really happy with the feel.
Other than the Omega this is the only other "fast action rod" I have used.
My "normal" fishing outing consists of 6+ hours walking the beach (away from my vehicle) so a rod that can throw from 3/4 oz to the Hogys to Rip Pluggers Plugs will cover whats in my bag.

speedy
04-15-2013, 02:21 PM
The rods I have used most of the time in the last few years have moderate or moderate fast action. Lure ratings from 3/4-3 or 4 oz. They would kind of break down when throwing the 14" Hogys or a big Rip-Plugger Plug, a normal cast would become a lob. I use 10'-11'rods.
I tried the new St Croix Avid 11' rod this weekend, its rated for 3-8 oz and has a fast action.
Was great for throwing the Hogys, was like a normal cast instead of a lob.
But what surprised me was that I could throw a Mambo Minnow just as far as with the other rods with it. And could still feel the plugs action.
Threw plugs and metal with it and really liked the rod.
I am pretty sure Rip-Plugger uses rods with high plug oz ratings for launching his wood.
I have a Breakaway Omega rod that is fast action, for throwing 3-4 oz metal its a rocket launcher, but does not load at all with lighter plugs and for throwing the Hogys I was not really happy with the feel.
Other than the Omega this is the only other "fast action rod" I have used.
My "normal" fishing outing consists of 6+ hours walking the beach (away from my vehicle) so a rod that can throw from 3/4 oz to the Hogys to Rip Pluggers Plugs will cover whats in my bag.now u need a caddy for ur plugs !!! i have seen ur plug bag ......lol:scared:
hows ur back bro lol !!!!!

surfstix1963
04-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Ask Bob about the Century rods he would know best.