PDA

View Full Version : Christie - Dunes Coming to NJ whether you like it or not!

buckethead
05-01-2013, 08:33 AM
I love this guy he pulls no punches. :clapping: :clapping:

LONG BEACH TOWNSHIP — Gov. Chris Christie this afternoon said, in no uncertain terms, that the state would build a protective dune system stretching from Cape May to the Bayshore.

He told several hundred gathered for a town hall meeting that no one would stand in his way, certainly not the holdouts on places like Long Beach Island, where more than 80 homeowners have refused sign easements.

The deadline to agree to an easement is Wednesday, Christie said. “So, I am going to have great good will and optimism until tomorrow.”

But if there are still holdouts, that won’t matter.

“We are building these dunes, okay?” Christie said to loud applause and whistling from audience members. “We are building these dunes whether you consent or not.”

He said those who refuse, claiming the state will build on their land, are off base. Christie said the state doesn’t want to build a road, a bathroom or a hut.

“Let be use an indelicate word,” the governor said, asking children to cover their ears. “********. That’s what that is … That’s the excuse they use. Here’s why they’re really concerned: They don’t want their view blocked.”

Long Beach Island, a narrow, 18-mile barrier island north of Atlantic City, had been ground zero for the war between those who didn’t want dunes and those who did. One couple fought their way to the state Supreme Court. It created tension, even before Sandy hit.

But the storm became a flashpoint. There were the places that had a protective dune system installed and, as a result, sustained minimal damage. Then there were the areas where there were no tall dunes, where Sandy's destructive powers were unobstructed.

In those neighborhoods — in sections like Holgate, on LBI's southern tip — the destruction was hard for locals to comprehend. Older homes were ripped from foundations and tossed about as the ocean met the bay. Trailers fell like dominoes. And houses on the beach, designed to have their first floors break away in a surge, did exactly that. The sand beneath those structures washed away, leaving many 20 feet in the air with little to hold them in place.

storminsteve
05-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Christie should run for president instead of dumbo the lawyer who they elected now. Christie will not take crap from anyone. You tell em gov!:clapping:

Monty
05-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Christie should run for president instead of dumbo the lawyer who they elected now. Christie will not take crap from anyone. You tell em gov!:clapping:
He would have my vote. I don't agree with everything he does (most of it), but he shore as hell pulls no punches and calls people out.

ledhead36
05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
My vote too monty. The best governor we ever had. Not like that fruit fly mcgreevy.