PDA

View Full Version : The Spirit of Fishing

Monty
05-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Hookset mentioned this in a thread, what does it mean to you?

For me its the experience of being out there trying to catch fish.
And its a great time if I catch or not.
Love being out there by myself.
Have a great time if I'm out there with a good friend. Three is more than likely not that much fun.
Will walk away from fish if there is a crowd.

Being out there, completely lost in the effort of trying to catch fish, no crowds, usually no one else around, enjoying the water, battling the elements of nature.

One thing I despise (goes against my "spirit of fishing"), If I post a report of a trip where I fished 8 hours and caught nothing and someone posts or mentions to me that they are sorry to hear that, wish "you caught something"....... Honestly I am extremely thankful that I was able to get out there and fish and more than likely had a great time... keep your pity "or sorry feelings" to your self or give it to someone who needs it.

hookset
05-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Have a great time if I'm out there with a good friend. Three is more than likely not that much fun.

Being out there, completely lost in the effort of trying to catch fish, no crowds, usually no one else around, enjoying the water, battling the elements of nature.

X2, and in my opinion is has changed in the last decade.
Guys no longer happy to catch a 20 lb striped bass - you see the reports "Well I got some to 20 lbs just waiting for the bigger ones"
So many complain about bluefish. They are outrageous fun to catch. You see reports "Well I would have caught more bass just couldn't get rid of the damn bluefish we were covered up all day by those pests!"
Catching a bass is no longer worth someone looking at unless it's a 50. you have guys barely in the game for 5 years who get a 50, and their next response is "can't wait to get a bigger one!"

The internet generation, everything available at a nanosecond, and hard work and sweat less valued anymore. Saw a TV program the other night where they said the latest internet generation is one that doesn't want to work that hard, and thinks they deserve the highest salaries. That was good to see so I known its not just me thinking that.

My Dad started me fishing. Great memories of fishing the salt with my Dad and uncles. I remember they would always throw back the first big fish of the year, for good luck. They would preach to me about not wasting fish. That was good to learn because there were many times out fishing on friends boats and came back to the barn to see a dumpster with big unfilleted dead bass in it.

The spirit of fishing should be about the adventure, the excitement, the thrill and the anticipation of the unknown. Catching is a bonus. Being out there is the prize. Sad to see that some don't feel that way it is about measureing the stacks of meat that means you are a real man.
thanks for the thoughts monty good thread.

storminsteve
05-06-2013, 10:54 AM
To be out there, the wind in your face. A slight breeze. Walk to the water even if it is a death march.;)
You get there, it is slightly rainy and damp. Most of the other guys stayed home. Will there be fish here tonight? Don't know but have to try. You give it a few casts, nothing., then while you are distracted BANG! you get hit. It is electric, you are charged up with adrenalin. You bring the fish in but the drag is screaming, it makes not one run but 4 runs, the last being the most energetic as it gets closer to shore and sees you and realized the final outcome. It is a bluefish, about 10 lbs. No internet trophy but it sure felt like one. It looks at you with those demon eyes as you unhook it as if to say if you give me a chance you emeffer I will keel you!
You unhook it, put it back, and think about the next cast and where the fish will be.
Great thread Monty.:HappyWave:

porgy75
05-06-2013, 11:20 AM
To be out there, the wind in your face. A slight breeze. Walk to the water even if it is a death march.;)
You get there, it is slightly rainy and damp. Most of the other guys stayed home. Will there be fish here tonight? Don't know but have to try. You give it a few casts, nothing., then while you are distracted BANG! you get hit. It is electric, you are charged up with adrenalin. You bring the fish in but the drag is screaming, it makes not one run but 4 runs, the last being the most energetic as it gets closer to shore and sees you and realized the final outcome. It is a bluefish, about 10 lbs. No internet trophy but it sure felt like one. It looks at you with those demon eyes as you unhook it as if to say if you give me a chance you emeffer I will keel you!
You unhook it, put it back, and think about the next cast and where the fish will be.

Awesome post Steve!
They say it's fishing not catching. The experience of being out there has to be part of it. Otherwise there would be less people willing to take the skunk. It's all part of the game, My .02

plugcrazy
05-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Hookset mentioned this in a thread, what does it mean to you?

X2 that's part of the beauty of it. Not knowing if you will catch or not. And the excitement of not knowing what you will hook next!

Monty
05-06-2013, 12:51 PM
BANG! you get hit. It is electric, you are charged up with adrenalin. You bring the fish in but the drag is screaming, it makes not one run but 4 runs, the last being the most energetic as it gets closer to shore and sees you and realized the final outcome. It is a bluefish, about 10 lbs. No internet trophy but it sure felt like one. It looks at you with those demon eyes as you unhook it as if to say if you give me a chance you emeffer I will keel you!

Gotta Love The Adrenalin Rush!!!!!

storminsteve
05-06-2013, 05:22 PM
^^ Exactly monty. If they could bottle the adrenalin and sell it maybe I wouldn't need to go fishing. Since they can't do that fishing is the only thing that can give me that kind of rush. Can't stop now.:HappyWave:

seamonkey
05-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Gotta Love The Adrenalin Rush!!!!!

Yessir!:thumbsup:

cowherder
05-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Great description of the walk and being out there for whatever God gives you Steve. Hope to run into you this year can't wait for some giant blues!

cowherder
05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
They say it's fishing not catching. The experience of being out there has to be part of it. Otherwise there would be less people willing to take the skunk. It's all part of the game, My .02

So true.:fishing:

albiealert
05-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Wow great thread it almost seems with all the internet trash talking and peacock preening it is a forgotten thing. Reminds me of the Christmas tales on TV where they are looking for the spirit of christmas and everyone seems to have lost it.
I especially like when you guys are talking about bluefish. They are a lot of fun to catch and put up a great fight. I feel that any one who turns their nose up at them is not a true fisherman or not one who I would want to fish with. Fishing is fishing. Not just for stripers.

DarkSkies
05-11-2013, 03:55 PM
The pic below kind of symbolizes it for me.
You can tell he's having a blast. The expression on his face says it all.

BTW this is Jordan, friend of sitemember xtremeVisions.....
He's a Marine who lost his leg in the Middle East while serving our country.
thanks for your service Jordan, :clapping::thumbsup:
Thanks for sending the pic Xtreme. :HappyWave:

storminsteve
05-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Awesome pic love that dudes growling at the fish! Thanks for being a marine, guy!

hookedonbass
05-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Very cool shot. Fishing should be about the fun you get out of it. jmo

albiealert
05-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Very cool shot. Fishing should be about the fun you get out of it. jmo

Amen

baitstealer
07-01-2013, 12:27 PM

.....Honestly I am extremely thankful that I was able to get out there and fish and more than likely had a great time... .

That is an awesome way of looking at things! I agree.

plugginpete
07-01-2013, 06:21 PM
I thought it was about hoisting up bass in the bait shop for glory.
Just kidding.;)

robmedina
07-01-2013, 10:29 PM
I agree with you all. I tend to learn more about fishing when I am not catching than when I am. My buddy is one of those "if I am not catching it sucks!" kind of guys........that's why we don't fish together much.

DarkSkies
07-02-2013, 09:40 AM
I agree with you all. I tend to learn more about fishing when I am not catching than when I am. .

Well-said, Rob......:HappyWave:
When I first made the transition to fishing artificials I failed miserably....took me almost 2 years to catch a legal bass on artificials...and it was a lot of misery and depression....I asked myself how could I be failing so terribly, when there were reports on the internet of other guys crushing fish....and I couldn't even catch one keeper....

At one time I was going to quit, and go back to bait fishing....when I started fishing the jetties, it seems I lost a plug, every time I was out there...and almost fell in a few times when I got mad at the jetties...imagine that...getting that mad at an inanimate pile of rocks......:kooky: :rolleyes:

I made note of my failures, and tried not to repeat the same mistakes...trying to narrow down and more precisely to define the conditions when I started catching.....finally it started to come together....but only in small pieces at a time...pieces of a puzzle.....

I wouldn't trade that cycle of failure, and learning, for anything in the world......
It helped make me stronger, more analytical, and more determined, not to fail..... :fishing:
And helped me think independently, regardless of what others are catching or not catching.......When the conditions are what I consider to be prime...I am out there.....doesn't matter a hill of beans to me, who thinks it is worth it or not......I know when the opportunity arises, that I should try to make it out there...because when I don't, I usually regret it.....

Fishing feeds my soul, in so many other ways, beyond the fish I find out there.....:learn:

albiealert
07-03-2013, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't trade that cycle of failure, and learning, for anything in the world......
It helped make me stronger, more analytical, and more determined, not to fail..... :fishing:
And helped me think independently, regardless of what others are catching or not catching.......When the conditions are what I consider to be prime...I am out there.....doesn't matter a hill of beans to me, who thinks it is worth it or not......I know when the opportunity arises, that I should try to make it out there...because when I don't, I usually regret it.....

Fishing feeds my soul, in so many other ways, beyond the fish I find out there.....:learn:

Well said ds! I had no one teaching me when I started. I would go out late afternoons and cast bombers in the rivers late afternoons after work. Eventually I
saw that the darkness produced better action and then started keeping a log to see which part of the tides I did better on. You learn what the conditions are that produce the best. Now I only fish at night.

williehookem
07-04-2013, 03:21 PM
At one time I was going to quit, and go back to bait fishing....when I started fishing the jetties, it seems I lost a plug, every time I was out there...and almost fell in a few times when I got mad at the jetties...imagine that...getting that mad at an inanimate pile of rocks......:kooky: :rolleyes:

Yep imagine that getting mad at a jetty for a bad night. lol. Remember it has been said that many men go fishing all their lives without knowing what it is they are after. Possibly for you that was part of your journey that needed to be walked.

Fishman
07-04-2013, 03:27 PM
I used to go at low tide just to learn the structure. After a while I figured out the best places to fish. I fish mainly at night the solitude and sounds of the ocean bring me back for more. However the action with no one around is what really hooks me in.

seamonkey
11-07-2013, 01:32 PM

cool capture of a priceless moment! thanks for your service Jordan.

DarkSkies
11-28-2013, 09:44 AM
My Dad started me fishing.
The spirit of fishing should be about the adventure, the excitement, the thrill and the anticipation of the unknown. Catching is a bonus. Being out there is the prize. thanks for the thoughts monty good thread.

To be out there, the wind in your face. A slight breeze. You get there, it is slightly rainy and damp. Most of the other guys stayed home. Will there be fish here tonight? Don't know but have to try. You give it a few casts, nothing., then while you are distracted BANG! you get hit. It is electric, you are charged up with adrenalin. You bring the fish in but the drag is screaming, it makes not one run but 4 runs, the last being the most energetic as it gets closer to shore and sees you and realized the final outcome. It is a bluefish, about 10 lbs. No internet trophy but it sure felt like one. Great thread Monty.:HappyWave:

I agree with you all. I tend to learn more about fishing when I am not catching than when I am.

Well-said, Rob......:HappyWave:
my early experiences .......helped me think independently, regardless of what others are catching or not catching.......When the conditions are what I consider to be prime...I am out there.....doesn't matter a hill of beans to me, who thinks it is worth it or not......I know when the opportunity arises, that I should try to make it out there...because when I don't, I usually regret it.....
Fishing feeds my soul, in so many other ways, beyond the fish I find out there.....

What does it mean to you?

I think a lot of what has been said above, symbolizes it to me......

On today, a day of giving thanks......
I wanted to re-visit what Monty and the others expressed, and perhaps stir some sparks in some future readers.......

Memories from the past.....Spirit of Fishing....

Background......I was about 12....had done some freshwater fishing, the Rahway River was about a mile from our house.....and was there every chance I could trying to catch carp, panfish, and trout....

Yesterday I was talking with Pebbles about the simpler times, when I started fishing at a young age....my Dad was too busy to take us...but there were some family friends who filled the void.......

One of them was Mr. Russo......
He was a simple man, didn't make a lot of $$, but somehow he and his wife were able to find and buy a bungalow in Mystic Island........

Mr Russo and his family took me down to Mystic Island several times.....

He had a daughter, and one son who was killed in a motorcycle accident.....maybe his taking me fishing was a way of re-connecting with his wanting to fish with his son, who had left this life at way too early an age.....

His wife made both of us great sammiches for our trips out there....
He had a small boat with a 20 hp motor.....not a lot of power, but enough to get us out there and fishing the sedges, creek mouths, and channels (at the time I didn't know the difference, or those terms, it was all just "the bay" to me)...:)

One time we got stranded ..he had motor trouble.....he finally managed to fix it after taking it apart....the man was a mechanical whiz, and could fix anything........

Looking back, I don't really remember all the fish we caught on these trips...the truth is we probably only caught a few fluke, blowfish,weakfish, and crabs.....maybe a short bass or two....a bluefish here and there.....

But fish or no fish....every trip was memorable for me.....:thumbsup:

It was about being on the water, the taste of the salt on your lips...the spray in your face when you hit a wave....the stink of the sedges, the black mud, the tiny marine life that was all over, everywhere you looked.......

To me, every trip was an adventure....and I was having the time of my life....for a kid who lived in the burbs like me, and didn't have anyone to show me this salt water world, every trip was an absolute blast, seeng a new side of the environment I had never seen......

Each trip had me wanting more, couldn't wait to get back out there........
When he was taking me fishing with his family for the weekend I had trouble sleeping the night before....I had so much excitement and anticipation of the trips....being out on the water, going fast (sometimes) in his small boat......the smells, sights, sounds, all created explosions in my brain, and set the patterns for what has become a life-long love of the salt water, and the bays and sea........

Some would call it an addiction....
It has been that way for me at times.....
I've often told my girlfriend if we were to move anywhere and there was no salt water, I would not survive there for very long........

Just thought I would share that, for this Thanksgiving......
I know a lot of ya's have read plenty of my rants about the current striper population.....

i thought in the spirit of Thanksgiving, we could all think about what it was, that started us fishing....and focus for a bit on what we have to be grateful for...when it could be so much worse......

Focus instead, just for today, on the Spirit of Fishing....and what brings us out there.....
Would love to hear any other thoughts ya's might have......
Thanks for reading.....:HappyWave:

surfwalker
11-28-2013, 12:47 PM
The preceding posts are all great descriptions of why I enjoy this way of spending my time. I thank you for all of them. I posted my feelings of plugging for Bass on probably my first post on this site, so I won't repeat it. But, I will state that the enjoyment/memories that plugging has given me through the years is endless. The sweaty palms and the nervous stomach are present every time I take that first step on the sand.

Ninety nine per cent of the time I plug alone, but am never lonely. The non catching trips are never a waste of time to me. The learning process only continues with every cast. The reward, to me, is just being there.

2013 is the first year in many decades that I have not even been able to see the wetline, let alone cast from it. I am fine but others require my time. But not breathing in that saline air depresses me.

So, I enjoy coming to this site and reading the educational, entertaining and concern about the Bass. It?s a link to the water/Bass for me, when I'm not recalling memories of some great times had.

Also would like to thank Jordan for his time in service.

surfrob
12-02-2013, 03:03 PM
... I tend to learn more about fishing when I am not catching than when I am. .....

as a result of this fall... ya might as well start calling me "einstein" ;)

robmedina
12-02-2013, 04:35 PM
yep I learned how much I **** and how little money I have left LOL!

basshunter
01-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Remember it has been said that many men go fishing all their lives without knowing what it is they are after. Possibly for you that was part of your journey that needed to be walked.

Definitely, so true.

williehookem
09-13-2014, 01:57 PM
^^^^^^^thanks
This sounds like a cool journey.

By John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel?s kick and the wind?s song and the white sail?s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea?s face, and a grey dawn breaking,

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull?s way and the whale?s way where the wind?s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick?s over.

7deadlyplugs
03-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Inspiring thanks for the post.
It's the thrill of the hunt.
The thrill of the chase. Catching is an added bonus.

7deadlyplugs
03-28-2016, 06:54 PM
yep I learned how much I **** and how little money I have left LOL!

lol

Monty
03-28-2016, 09:27 PM
It's the thrill of the hunt.
The thrill of the chase. Catching is an added bonus.

Same for me. Each trip in itself is somewhat of an adventure.
Fishing Long Island has opened up many challenging opportunities for the "chase" for me, I'm really looking forward to this year.

hookset
03-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Totally agree.
Someone should put up a picture of forest gump. Fishing is like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get LOL.